Gender Equality Internships in Africa with African Impact

Intern in Africa on the award-winning gender empowerment initiative, The Girl Impact, founded by African Impact and the African Impact Foundation. This pioneering initiative works in three countries across East and Southern Africa, working with girls, women, boys and men to bring about gender equality.

As an intern on one of the four programs below, you will support young girls who are faced with social isolation, high rates of gender-based violence, economic vulnerability, and lack of appropriate health services. We work to give girls a better start to womanhood and ensure the boys and men in their community see the value of healthy, educated and empowered women.

Each location has a slightly difference focus, detailed below, but all four internships speak to someone who is passionate about gender issues, developing hard-skills in a non-profit role and using their strengths to mentor and provide support on education, health, prevention of early pregnancy, personal safety.

• Pick from 4 iconic locations; Cape Town or Zululand in South Africa, Livingstone in Zambia, or Moshi in Tanzania
  • Contribute to tangible, positive change that impacts over 300 girls and women across East and Southern Africa
  • Include boys in the conversation, influencing a change in behavior that contributes to gender equality
  • Be supported by 3 individual mentors, enhancing your professional and personal development
  • Gain real-life experience in the development sector, creating, monitoring and growing our programs

Lauren

Great Internship Opportunity!

I spent two months on the Girl Impact Internship in Livingstone, Zambia, and I loved it so much that I'm already back adding another month to my internship! I fell in love with the local community of Livingstone and at the house, everyone is so welcoming, inclusive and ready to help. The organized activities such as movie night, games night and Sundowners are encouraged but not mandatory, so if you need a night to yourself to unwind you can do so, while also enjoying bonding time. I liked that I could make the internship into what I wanted it to be, such as even though social media work isn't necessarily in the internship description, I asked if I could work on it and they were more than happy to let me do so. I also like how they are very open to new ideas on how to improve or how to make the experience for the volunteer and the students as best as it can be. I was able to use my own skills to improve their programs while also learning new skills that I can carry with me for future job opportunities.

Response from African Impact

Hey Lauren,

Thank you for this wonderful feedback. We're so happy to hear you got all you wanted out of your internship and that you've chosen to extend your time here. Soon you'll be an African Impact alumnus!

The African Impact team

About African Impact

African Impact pioneered responsible volunteer travel in Africa back in 2004 and have since grown into the largest provider of volunteer projects on the continent. Proudly African, they work hand-in-hand with local communities to establish, develop...