Alumni Spotlight: LaTasha Moore

Photos

LaTasha Moore is a 22 year-old graduate of Arkansas State University. She double majored in communication studies and Spanish. Currently, LaTasha works in Spain as an English language assistant for the Ministry of Education.

How has this experience impacted your future?

Participating in the Dream Careers-Washington, D.C. internship program had a personal impact on my preparation for life. Because of my experiences in the program, I am now confident in my ability to successfully live anywhere in the world.

I am from a small, rural community in Arkansas and have never lived in a large city independently. So often I hear stories about people who go to “the big city” and quickly return home because they were not able to handle the change of pace or make wise decisions.

Living in the nation’s capital educated me about the necessary skills one needs to live on their own, especially if they are in a new environment.

Now I don’t fear living outside of familiar territory, which has led and will continue to lead me to new places.

Tell us about an experience you had that you could not have had at home.

I have been performing spoken-word poetry over the last few years and was able to perform an original piece at D.C.’s renowned restaurant Busboys and Poets. Spoken-word is an art form in which a poet creatively dramatizes a poem, and it often sounds conversational. Before participating in the Busboys and Poets event, I had performed spoken word throughout my home state but never in front of audiences I was not familiar with.

The D.C. crowd was diverse and mature. They were cultured. The performers were sincere and frank in their presentations. It was a new world for me. The experience helped me grow as a poet and exposed me to a variety of ways to present the art form. Additionally, listening to the pieces from other poets enabled me to gain knowledge about other perspectives of society.

What is one piece of advice you'd give future students traveling with your program?

I advise future participants in the Dream Careers-Washington, D.C. program to take FULL advantage of every opportunity the program provides. Not only did the organization secure internships for us, but they supplied access to weekly professional sessions, internship counseling, events, and trips.

Each activity and meeting enabled us to meet others and build relationships, which is invaluable when you are in a new city. Plus, participating in the events allowed us to gain knowledge and become a bit better prepared for the real world. They helped us grow professionally and socially.

You have already paid for everything the program organizes, so what not get your money’s worth?

Do you feel you got a chance to see the city from a local's perspective?

YES! YES! YES! The staff organized several local excursions and activities that enabled the program participants to discover the city on a personal level. We were more than tourists. We dined in a variety of local restaurants, such as Ben’s Chili Bowl, Good Stuff Eatery, and Burger Tap and Shake. We participated in a kickball tournament on the lawn of the Washington Monument.

Even the ways in which we traveled made us feel like genuine citizens. Each intern traveled to work on the subway, and we went a few places on the bus as a group. Plus, we typically walked to restaurants, which provided us with the opportunity to view the city’s varied neighborhoods.