Kelly Lange

What originally inspired you to teach in Spain with the ministry of Education?

Kelly: I really liked that the program would give me an opportunity to improve my Spanish, while gaining experience in the field of education which was perfect because I had just received a degree in education. The best part is being able to travel around Europe in my free time.

Describe your day to day activities as a teacher?

Kelly: I have taught at two different schools so my daily activities differed from school to school. Both schools gave me the standard 12 hour a week schedule that was divided up between Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. At one school I would go in and just assist the teachers in the 3 bilingual classrooms, in subjects like art, social studies and gym. I would read from the book, help carry out activities and lead discussions. I had a total of 40 students between the 3 classes.

At the other school I teach only the subject of English and I am expected to plan lessons and/or teach the entire lesson when I am there. I teach in 11 different English classes and have over 200 students.

How has this experience impacted your future?

Kelly: I have gained experience in my professional field and I have expanded my options in education by mastering Spanish. Also, I did something I had always dreamed of doing, living in Europe. I am very thankful I took advantage of such a great opportunity.

The program is an academic “continuing education” grant provided by the Ministry of Education of Spain. The program sends over 2000 American and Canadian participants to Spain each year to serve as teaching assistants, sharing their native knowledge of the English or French language and North Americ...

More Alumni Interviews