Staff Member Spotlight: Jocelyn Pollak

Title
Co-Founder

Photos

Jos started as an EFL teacher and after seeing the lack of quality for online TEFL certification programs, she partnered with Whitney in 2015 to build TEFLPros. She has taught over 5000 students from 15+ countries and now focuses on running TEFLPros in order to build a new generation of capable, passionate EFL teachers. She has traveled to 45 countries and has no plans of slowing down!

What is your favorite travel memory?

My favorite travel memories always involve people. One of my favorites was when I went to see the "Crab Sorcerer" in a remote mountainside village in northern Cameroon called Rhumsiki. I was about 25 years old. He looked exactly how you'd expect a crab sorcerer to look, long flowing blue robes and a wise old face. He had a ceramic jug filled with sticks, sand and a few river crabs. He then put a lid on the pot and told me to ask the crabs a question.

I asked what my future would hold. He took the lid off the pot and the crabs had moved the sticks around and scratched lines in the sand. He was very excited about whatever had transpired in the dark pot.

In his tribal language, Kapsiki, he told me that I was going to be a big chief someday and that I would help many people with whatever I am in charge of. I hope he was right!

How have you changed/grown since working for your current company?

When I began TEFLPros, I had a .com business background and English teaching and training expertise, but the concept of building an online business from scratch was new to me. I have learned SO much about web development and I still feel like it's only the tip of the iceberg!

I also learned that it's important to work with the best when it comes to building websites, which is what we did for TEFLPros.

What is the best story you've heard from a return student?

Recently one of our grads got a job at one of the most prestigious schools in Thailand. Another one started working in West Africa where her TEFL certification wasn't required but she was so happy that she could be a great teacher because of what she learned from TEFLPros.

One grad is a retired man volunteering to teach in his spare time. A Filipino teacher was recently promoted because of her TEFLPros certification. Another woman is teaching Syrian refugees in Europe. I could go on and on...

If you could go on any program that your company offers, which one would you choose and why?

We only offer one so I would choose that! Haha. Actually, the choice to only offer one very specific certification (120-hour TEFL) was very much on purpose. Other companies have so many things going on and their online courses usually fall by the wayside and therefore lack in quality.

We noticed this happening and decided that we wanted to focus 100% on making our online course the best. Our attention to detail and specialized approach is what makes TEFLPros 120-hour certification different.

What makes your company unique? When were you especially proud of your team?

Wow so many things :) I'll just choose three. As I mentioned, TEFLPros doesn't have a bunch of irons in the fire so we can focus 100% of our energy on providing the best online course out there.

We aren't a big "TEFL Course Factory" so we can pay attention to our students as much or as little as they'd like. We want to create the closest thing to an in-person course, online. We also know that modern learners want something interactive and interesting which is why we have so many hours of video on our course.

Most importantly, we want our grads to be successful after they fly out of the TEFLPros nest. Graduates leave us with two certificates (one from us and one from Accreditat) and a full portfolio of lesson plans to show on interviews. We provide an interview and resume guide, job assistance, access to a closed Facebook group, and most importantly a fantastic education so you can KEEP the job once you get it.

What do you believe to be the biggest factor in being a successful company?

• Caring about the customers and being attentive to their questions
  • Agility. Nowadays, if you can't adjust quickly to what's happening in the world, your company will sink. You have to be open to new ideas and new approaches.
  • Passion. If you aren't passionate about what you do, you will never become successful, not as a person and as a company. I know what it feels like to work a job that I hate. And with TEFLPros and teaching, I know what it feels like to work a job I LOVE.