Staff Spotlight: Gopinath Chanda

Title:
Trustee

Photos

Gopi Chandra is a Software Engineering Director for a major multinational company and is a resident of California for the last 26 years. His passion for helping the poor and needy made him set up a private foundation in the U.S to serve both the local homeless shelters as well as support the charity initiatives in India. Sanjyot Foundation, a registered charitable trust, set up in India in 2016, now has started operating a children's home for the poor orphans.

What is your favorite travel memory?

Although I have traveled extensively through several tourist destinations across the world, my most favorite one would be the one I took in 2012.

I happened to spend some time with a local orphanage in India and had interaction with the poor children. Devoid of good food, clothes, and basic needs, these children were struggling in life instead of spending time playing with friends or going to school. This incident triggered me to work towards setting up an orphanage where poor orphans would be given not just food, shelter, and clothing but also strong academic education, sports, music, etc.

How have you changed/grown since working for your current company?

Ever since I started working on the orphanage project, I have always been thinking of ideas to make these orphans productive citizens of the world. I now put myself in their shoes loudly thinking about what I need so I can lead a wholesome life. To realize this vision, I firmly believe that these kids need a strong foundation academically which, for me, should begin with acquiring basic English skills.

If you could go on any program that your company offers, which one would you choose and why?

I would certainly love to spend some time in the orphanage educating these kids the 3 Rs – reading, writing, and arithmetic. It would offer immense satisfaction to see these kids show remarkable progress in their academics as well as extra-curricular activities like sports, music, meditation, yoga, etc.

What makes your company unique? When were you especially proud of your team?

My foundation is unique since it offers the children education until their college degrees. Most of the orphanages take care of their basic needs like food, shelter, and clothing, and ask them to leave when they turn 18. My organization would make sure the kids grow up into wonderful human beings and support them until they become independent.

What do you believe to be the biggest factor in being a successful company?

Strong passion and dedication are a must for a company to be successful. My company has the vision, mission, and the passion to make this happen. I am sure that with support from like-minded volunteers, we can bring a major change in the lives of these poor souls who have lost their parents. By grooming these kids at a young age, they are likely to grow into wonderful human beings and continue the good work.