Staff Spotlight: Holly Gilligan

Title:
International Coordinator

Photos

I grew up not far from where I work now, but I knew I wanted to study abroad at university... so I went first to compote my undergrad in Scotland and onto Canada for my SA year.

What is your favorite travel memory?

Touring around Canada with my cousin after my year abroad ended. She flew out to meet me in Toronto and we headed West to the Rockies, through Banff, Jasper, and Calgary before heading out to Vancouver, wandering around Washington's museums with friends I made from the course (who are still friends!).

How have you changed/grown since working for your current company?

In a myriad of ways! My confidence in myself has greatly increased as I have been given more responsibility and trust. Despite understanding and appreciating what my personal experience of study abroad did for me, I am now passionate about what it can do for every student. I would like it if every university student had the opportunity to study aboard.

What is the best story you've heard from a return student?

Better than any single story or achievement are the countless account from students who have grown in confidence and self-esteem by studying abroad. What is most gratifying to me is seeing how their belief in themselves grown in leaps and bounds after completing their mobility - once you shave studies and lived in another country, made friends, and gained independence, everything else feels easy!

If you could go on any program that your company offers, which one would you choose and why?

Not everyone is able to complete a full semester or year abroad and so I think that the summer programmes offered at Edge Hill University are really wonderful, as they allow students a shorter but just as life changing opportunity to experience another county and culture.

We have so many opportunities to choose from that I think there is something to suit every student.

What makes your company unique? When were you especially proud of your team?

Our location makes us unique, being in a semi-rural setting within local community students really get a truly British experience. Our small international intake means that integration with British students is inevitable and a key part of why so many of our past students enjoyed their time with us.

What do you believe to be the biggest factor in being a successful company?

Teamwork. We have a small tight-knit team who work collaboratively to ensure that every international student has the best experience possible with us. No matter your problem or concern, students will always find staff members willing to help in the office. So when you are here, please make sure you come in and see us!