Who we are:
As a community-centered resource for programs abroad, verified alumni reviews, travel articles, and scholarships, Go Overseas aims to connect our community with the most reliable information about global opportunities. From studying abroad in Spain to volunteering with orangutans in Indonesia, landing a job teaching English online to interning remotely for an international company, our site has helped millions of people find and plan transformative experiences.
Who you are:
Do you love meaningful travel? Do you also love storytelling and have a knack for making others as excited about something as you are? Do you have a passion for content creation and a curiosity for learning within a fast-paced startup environment of mission-driven travelers?
We’re looking for a Content & Community Intern to help support our core email and social media initiatives, review and publish content updates on Go Overseas, and help prepare for our special projects campaigns this fall. In this role, you’ll learn about thousands of different meaningful travel programs all over the world, read verified reviews from recent program alumni, and help our community get excited about perspective-changing travel! You’ll work cross-functionally to implement marketing strategies that bring new prospective travelers to the site, encourage return visits, and spread brand awareness. Your day-to-day will be as varied and exciting as the programs on Go Overseas, and you will have the opportunity to grow and take on as much responsibility as your time and ambition will allow.
Your core responsibilities:
- Create engaging email and social media content that reflects the Go Overseas brand and business goals
- Respond to community emails and DMs on social media
- Learn how to monitor and increase engagement metrics
- Collaborate with our Product & Partner Growth teams to manage our marketing calendar
- Perform weekly project-based content tasks to support management of digital marketing campaigns for education abroad and travel providers
- Complete content audits to ensure that information is both accurate and engaging
- Assist with other project-based marketing and content initiatives, as needed
- Strong passion for international travel and experiential learning. Firsthand experience with one or more of the following is a plus -- studying abroad, working abroad, teaching abroad, interning abroad, volunteering abroad, living abroad, and/or taking a gap year is a plus!
- Dynamic, entrepreneurial, go-getter personality, with a genuine interest in people
- Experience managing multi-platform social media calendars with Later (Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube)
- Proficiency with or strong interest in learning Mailchimp, Later, Canva, Google Suite, and Google Analytics
- Initiative to take on new projects and bring fresh ideas to our start-up team culture
- Empathetic team player
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Communicative and comfortable with remote work on a distributed team
- A compelling writer with the flexibility to employ the Go Overseas voice and tone
- Experience or strong interest in at least 3 of the following areas: social media, brand marketing, copywriting, design, video production, public speaking, digital marketing, tech, Google Analytics, customer support
- Ability to commit to ~15-20 hours per week (between the hours of 9am and 6pm PST) for 3 months with an ideal start date sometime in June 2021
- Current student, recent graduate, or bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, business, public relations, communications, new media, design, education, global studies, international relations, or other related field
- Skills or interest in graphic design, digital photography, and/or video editing
- Experience with Excel/Google Sheets to track marketing KPIs, analyze data & inform strategy
- Familiarity with key company systems: Google Suite, Asana, Mailchimp, Slack, Canva, Later, HubSpot, Google Analytics, Zoom webinars
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Passion for sustainable, accessible, and ethical travel
- The successful candidate will collaborate with our west coast team members
- $15/hr, up to $3,600 for 3 months of work
- Potential for an extended contract into fall 2021 or expand to full time role (dependent upon company needs and performance)
Equal Employment Opportunity
Go Overseas values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages applicants from all backgrounds to apply. As an Equal Opportunity Employer that promotes perspective-changing global experiences, we know that diversifying our team will only make us stronger as we grow. As a small but mighty team, we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool as the educational travel industry regains momentum. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
How to apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Alia at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application review will begin on June 7, 2021 and continue until the position is filled, as the ideal candidate will have the ability to begin the internship by the end of June. Applicants who pass the initial screening round will be invited to complete a first round questionnaire & marketing challenge before interviews begin.