- Applicant will have the equivalent of a high school diploma.
- Applicant will have at least two years of college or comparable experience.
- Applicant will be at least 18 years of age.
- Applicant has a proficient to fluent knowledge of English.
- Applicant exhibits patience, flexibility, and a sense of humor.
- Preferred but not required: Applicant has experience working with adults with disabilities
- The volunteer will have 15 days of paid vacation.
Position Title: Residential Volunteer
Purpose: The volunteer serves as a residential caregiver to a small group of residents (co-workers), facilitating in therapeutic workstations, and other community activities. This position supports the mission of Innisfree Village as a residential community with adults with intellectual disabilities. The volunteer represents Innisfree Village as a member of the community and a leader in residential caregiving and lifesharing.
Location: Innisfree Village 5505 Walnut Level Road Crozet, VA 22980
1. Assures the daily care, health, and human rights of those with whom they live and/or supervise
2. Oversees the upkeep and maintenance of the house in which they live
3. Manages household finances, keeping an eye on frugal spending, maintaining adequate balances, paying all outstanding bills, and completing monthly ledgers
4. Attends all weekly community meetings and others called as necessary
5. Works daily in community workstations and/or offices
6. Reads past records and completes all required written reports in a timely fashion
7. Works in close liaison with the Director, office, board, families, and fellow volunteers in all decisions which has a great impact on the lives of those who make Innisfree home, being directly responsible to the Executive director
8. Abides by all guidelines and policies set forth by the Village Handbook
9. Fulfills the length of service commitment made at the time of acceptance; giving two months notice of departure
10. Exhibits full and rich participation in community life and activities
Length of Service: The volunteer will commit to 1 year of service, with the option of additional year(s) of service, unless another period has been agreed to prior to arrival.
Time Commitment: The volunteer will work 5 days per week, with 2 consecutive days off (either Friday/Saturday or Sunday/Monday). The volunteer will have 15 days of paid vacation.
Support: Training as a volunteer will be provided as a 1-month trial period, where all skills and information pertaining to caregiving, workstations, organizational policies, and community life are explained.
Security Checks: The volunteer must consent to a background check screening, State of Virginia criminal history check, and U.S. or International Driving Record check.
Medical Requirements: The volunteer must have a current TB (tuberculosis) screening.