Join a grass-roots social development charity to support their valuable work and provide psychological support to children with troubled backgrounds. Based in a township on the outskirts of Cape Town, you’ll be working with a nonprofit community center that hosts up to a hundred children each day to ensure they have a safe and stimulating space to go.
As an intern, you’ll assist with the day to day running of the center:
- Offering individual or group counseling sessions with children in order to support them with traumatic events they have been through (depending on your knowledge and experience)
- Helping create stimulating, educative, and fun activities for the children in the after care program
- Assist with the coordination of other volunteers who come to help with the activities
- Helping cook for and feed the children at the center
- Assisting with the day to day management of the center
- Assisting with the development of the center, which can include fundraising, communications, partnership management, and organizational structuring
- Offering organizational support to a number of daycare centers in the township
This social work and psychology internship is a great opportunity to gain some on the ground experience in social work and to contribute to a worthwhile and very much needed project. You will also get to experience life abroad, in the bustling city of Cape Town.
Internship start and end dates are flexible and a 2-6 months duration is possible.
- Preferably background or experience in sociology, psychology, social work, community development, education, pedagogy, or similar
- Good social skills
- Good English skills
- Enjoy working with children and people of different cultures
- Interest in community projects
- Open minded and creative