Summer Intensive Japanese Language Course in Hokkaido

Sapporo Traditional Dance Festibal
Sapporo Traditional Dance Festibal
Furano lavender
Furano lavender
Party in our own private tram!
Designing our own traditional paper fan!
DIY cookie decoration!
Furano Lavender Fields

Hokkaido Japanese Language School’s Summer Course takes our standard 15 Japanese lessons per week and adds 2 traditional culture experiences per week for six weeks. Our students have the chance to experience a variety of Japanese culture, such as trying on kimono, making sushi, and tea ceremonies. Japanese volunteers participate in many of these events, giving students the opportunity to improve their Japanese in a setting other than the classroom and to make friends and experience Japan from the inside, not just as a tourist.

Students also have the opportunity to attend our 3 weekly optional activities to enjoy all that Hokkaido has to offer, such as summer river rafting, or seeing the lavender in Furano! Join us this summer and enjoy learning Japanese in the beautiful city of Sapporo!

*We also have summer course in Kyoto JaLS.

• Small Classes.
  • Cultural Activities.
  • Competitive Prices.
  • Flexibility.
  • Amazing Location.

• Instruction 9.6
Bic

My 1 week at Hokkaido JaLS

I signed up for only a week because I was unsure what to expect. It was my first time in Hokkaido, and the first time studying at JaLS.
After my one week, I find JaLS--with its teaching method, the Sensei, and the supporting staff--to be excellent, and I plan on coming back again.
Among the JaLS' teachings that I find especially valuable is what they called "shadowing". It involves memorizing and reciting a set of short dialogues--dialogues, in the vernacular/casual form, involving situations that you're likely to encounter often. Now, when I speak to Japanese people, I use (with slight modifications) some of the sentences and phrases from those dialogues.
I studied under three sensei during my week there. All were excellent. All were approachable and receptive to your questions--whether during class time or during break time.
A final point that makes me want to return to JaLS is its support staff--your point persons for everything relating to JaLS. They've among the most friendly and helpful staff I've ever encountered. Sayakaさん, in particular, made my stay in Hokkaido especially enjoyable. She helped me with suggesting what to do in Sapporo, finding a good maid cafe, directing me to the best Hokkaido ramen place, etc.. And she follows up!
Go ahead and give JaLS a try. It's great!

Teaching Japanese culture alongside Japanese language would be nice. Language and culture often reflect one another, and learning both together can lead to a better understanding.
Olivia

Great!

I had a lot of fun with this language school. I made amazing friends, got way better at Japanese, and did stuff that would be unavailable otherwise, such as sushi making, indigo cloth dyeing, and the Yosakoi festival. I highly recommend this program, and I encourage everyone looking for a language school to try the Sapporo or Kyoto Japanese Language School! My fellow students were very kind, and I felt safe in this school. When I had a problem, I felt I could ask the staff for a solution, and they wouldn’t send me away. By the end of my 4 weeks, some of the staff felt like family, and I really enjoyed my time there. Going to JaLS made my Japanese better by a mile, and improved my confidence too. I’d recommend JaLS to anyone that wants to improve their Japanese, or wants to expand their worldview.

What was your funniest moment?
Making unforgettable memories with my new friends.
Ethan

My experience of growth

When I first tried this program a year ago, I was hesitant as to what would happen. At first, I was excited to go to Japan for the first time, yet there was so much mystery that I was scared to face. Looking back at it now, it was probably the biggest life decision of my life.

The program has fundamentally helped me grow as a person as it has opened my mind to what the world has to offer. The staff and students were all very kind and open to learning. The environment within JALS is internationally minded. Everyone gets to learn Japanese culture while sharing their own culture. Within a month I was able to speak a bit of Japanese to my taxi driver on my way back to the airport. It was one of the most fulfilling experience. I met some of my greatest friend in JALS, they were able to help me learn and share their experience of learning Japanese. I would say that the reason I was successful in this program, is because of the people I met throughout the course. The kind staff and students in JALS all helped me grow as a person.

Samantha

Great experience!

The course at JaLS exceeded my expectations! Right from the beginning when I emailed some inquiries to JaLS, I could sense the staff's sincerity in replying me and answering any doubts I had. While I was at school, the staff were also very helpful in entertaining any queries I had, such as recommendations on food and travel.

The language teachers were also very professional and patient (and fun at the same time). They used many examples to illustrate new grammar to us so that we could understand what was being taught. They also gave us sufficient time to practise the new grammar/vocabulary during class.

I enjoyed the cultural activities very much too. I was blessed with nice classmates/schoolmates and we shared many fun times together! Really enjoyed every bit of my time in Japan! =)

Conrad

An Immaculate Season

One of the best decisions I’ve made was studying at the Hokkaido Japanese Language School (JALS) for 8 weeks. Looking back, my experiences in Hokkaido all feel like a really good dream that I didn’t want to end. If you want to learn real Japanese, there is no better way to do it than here. I have seen students who spoke zero Japanese come to class each day, and by the end of their summer session, were able to write, read, and speak easily! My personal progress has been no less amazing, but even more, I left Sapporo with the drive to keep studying Japanese, to keep pushing myself forward in life, and to work towards my goals each day.
Learning Japanese is just one small part of the experience though. After morning classes, the day belongs to the students. JALS always has an activity lined up after lunch for those who are interested, and if not, there is always something to see and do in Sapporo! This brings me to the most memorable and important part of my journey—my friends. I made so many friends during my time in Sapporo between the students of JALS and the Japanese residents of the share house that JALS arranged for my stay. These people that I call my friends made Sapporo feel like a second home. We shared food, drinks, stories, embarrassing karaoke performances, and so much more. And no matter what background anybody was from, we were all equal and in this adventure together. Each weekend JALS had a new weekend excursion lined up for the students and it was these outings that were my most memorable. I had the chance to see the expansive lavender fields of Furano, Biei lake—a lake that echoes that beautiful teal color of Caribbean shorelines, Rusutsu Resort—an amusement park and ski resort in the mountains with breathtaking views and rollercoasters, Otaru—a well-known seaside town with a scenic canal reminiscent of Venice, and much more! If you’re thinking about visiting or vacationing in Japan next summer, consider the Hokkaido Japanese Language School! You’ll do more, see more, and make many unforgettable friends along the way. And don’t forget to bring your camera!

Weekday activities felt inaccessible for people who did not prepay for them in advance due to their cost. I also feel that the homework was sometimes a bit repetitive for what you gain from it. Studying the grammar handout and vocab was a much better use of my time personally.
Silvia

The best month of my life with JaLS

The summer course in JaLS is very good! I recommend it to everyone, who want to learn something more about Japan and not only study Japanese. You can learn a lot about the Japanese culture and make interesting things that probably you will never try again in your life :) There are a lot of activities during week so you have always something interesting to do, every day is fun ! Japanese lessons in the morning are enjoyable and you will learn a lot in few time. If you have any problem school staff is really helpful and i think everyone is friendly and kind.
I really enjoyed my moth in JaLS, and hope I'll go again in future.

Chodchanit

Jals activities

I really enjoy doing the activities especially the cultural lesson. It helped us understand more and help us to adapt to the environment we're surrounded by. The food is also very delicious, i get to meet new friends create bonding, by travelling and doing school activities together help us learn more about each other. For example, the city tour activites since the first week where were walking around and taking photos and doing group activities where we had been given sets of task to complete. This part make us know each other better, their characteristics and personality in order to go and talk and be friend with them because sometimes we don't know whether he/she is friendly or not.

Weekemd activities don't be too early, i'm so tired and very lazy to wake up since morning. Meet up a bit later ;)