Online Mandarin lessons with native experienced Chinese tutors

woman on skype on laptop
woman on skype on laptop

We are a start-up based in Xi'an. Most of our teachers have been teaching Mandarin Chinese for many years. We offer all students of our Mandarin school free advisory assistance when they come to China, including renting an apartment, teaching they survival Mandarin to talk with native people, how to use Chinese Uber, how to find great local restaurants and so on. If you're interested, please get in contact and we would love to give you a free 30 min trial Mandarin Chinese lesson.

• Specialized Chinese courses
  • Professional native tutors
  • Free advisory assistance when you are in China

• Instruction 9.8
Robert

My experience with Wavechinese

I had this wonderful teacher 鱼老师. I really learned a lot from her and she is good at explaining how to use the different words. I am studying chinese at university and i took this course to gain some extra knowledge. After 10 classes with my teacher from wavechinese, I feel so much better and confortable talking chinese.
The best thing about this class is that I learned how to better speak chinese in a more casual way, instead of just fixed phrases. I would definitely recommend wavechinese to anyone who is either new or advanced chinese speakers.

I am going to order more classes from wavechinese because im simply so grateful for the things that i got taught.

If you are like me and not sure if you should order your first class. my advice to you is that you should just do it. They are so flexible and its definitely worth it.

I'm so happy about this course. There is honestly nothing i would change.
Srikala

Excellent tutor and fun learning chinese

The online lessons are very exciting and fun to learn. Especially Chloe is excellent is putting in sentences about yourself and your own environment such that its fun and u learn very effortlessly. I would recommend this course to everyone who wants to speak chinese quickly.
She is also great at explaining about her culture. Really fun to learn. I look forward to every class.
Its a value for money especially you can learn at your convenience and speed with one to one attention.
I love their enthusiasm in teaching chinese it is very infectious.
It is definitely much better than a group class where you have minimal oppurtunity to speak and practice chinese with native speakers.
Chloe is also very strict about the homework which is very good so the pace of learning is maintained.

Tracy

Excellent, structured, business Chinese lessons - also fun!

I am so glad I found Wave Chinese through a friend's recommendation. I have been working with my tutor Chloe for a few months and am grateful for her instruction. The lessons are structured and follow two textbooks, plus exercises, homework, vocabulary, and each time I walk away having learned something new and feeling mastery over more vocabulary. The company is professional and Chloe is always on time, there is a report after every lesson, and payment is easy and secure online. In addition, Chloe is fun to work with and it has been a real pleasure to get to know her. I look forward to continuing my classes. Thank you Wave Chinese!

FYI the Go Overseas rating tool forced me to rate "housing" - this is an online course I am taking so housing is not applicable.

Julian

Studying with Andrea

Andrea is a pleasure to study with. She works hard to fit her teaching to my style of learning, which can be a bit chaotic at times. Andrea is always pushing me to improve, and sets great homework after each class. It's always a treat to see her smiling face during what can be a daunting task for westerners like me - learning Chinese.

One of the things I really like about studying with Andrea is that she is very patient, and always willing to try different things to get results. Learning Chinese can be quite challenging at times, but Andrea has a wonderful of encouraging me and getting me back on track.

I would recommend Andrea to anybody looking for more than a conversation partner, but an experienced teacher who can help you discover Chinese as you learn.

Alex

Great pacing, very professional staff

The teacher I have and the customer support are extremely professional. The prices are a little higher per class but for the quality it is well worth it. The teacher is very orginized, remembers what I need to work on and what I do well with, it shows that they spend time reviewing the classes after. They send regular reports on progress and are not shy to call you out when you haven't been practicing. They are flexible with scheduling and extremely responsive to qeustions outside of class. I thought 1 class a week would be good pacing but quickly realized 2 a week would be best. The teacher introduces only a few new vocabulary words each week but builds on them week to week. Homework is difficult and the teacher requires me to translate audio sentances without any hints very early on which has helped my listening a lot.

A web portal where remaining classes and status or vocabulary that needs to be worked on would be helpful.
David

Learning Chinese at your convenience

I've been contemplating learning Chinese for some time now and was weighing up the pros and cons of face-to-face vs. online. After trialling a lesson with Andrea, I immediately signed up for 60 lessons (be on the lookout for some ongoing specials for additional free lessons). I'm not always in one place so being online gives me the flexibility of having a lesson wherever I may be, at whatever time that suits (within reason of course), without the commute!

Andrea is a great teacher, gauges my level of understanding well, and challenges me to improve on my learning, week after week. Most importantly, I feel comfortable learning around her during our video calls, so I don't mind making mistakes or looking silly - its a part of the process. Highly recommend trialling a lesson before making a decision if it's right for you.

Joe

Wave Chinese (with Andrea)

I’ve been having Skype lessons with Andrea for one month (3 a week). Lessons can be arranged flexibly during Beijing hours (at the weekend too) and are 50 minutes long. After every session she sets me homework to do to practice what we’ve learned during that lesson. Andrea is an excellent teacher, very friendly and enjoyable to work with. She was very good at firstly assessing my skill level and then pushing me accordingly. The better I get the harder she is pushing me. She is also happy to work on anything specific that is helpful for me living in singapore even if it would not be part of the traditional syllabus at this stage. Andrea and the service generally come highly recommended, I think that it is a good value service that allows very quick progress if you are willing to commit the time to it

Elaine

Great way to learn!

As a Chinese American, I grew up speaking some conversational Chinese, but my reading and writing were practically non-existent. I started looking for a Chinese class because I needed to improve quickly before an important family trip to Taiwan. Mary assessed my proficiency level within half an hour, and was able to develop a custom program for me that quickly improved my spoken Mandarin. I've even learned some business vocabulary that I would never have encountered otherwise. I've enjoyed the experience so much that I've continued studying with her, long past our trip, and started to work on my reading and writing as well. Mary interactive style and fun personality is so engaging that our class time flies by. The online lesson format is also very convenient for me, as I can learn from my own home or when traveling! I highly recommend her!

Ma

Great, Fun Online Courses for our Daughter

Our nine year old daughter has been taking different Chinese classes from when she was four. This is the first one she actually enjoys and we feel her level of Mandarin has improved more over the last 13 lessons than during the last 5 years. Our daughter likes the teacher despite the fact that – because of the time difference between London and Beijing – she needs to take the lessons at 7:30am before regular school. The homework is moderately demanding but perfect for her third language. The communication with the teacher is mainly via email and this suites us. Her tone is honest and she doesn't sugarcoat her comments while assessing our daughter's progress (or lack thereof). We think there is a psychological bonus to actually be talking to someone in China every week. We will continue with her lessons for as long as we can.

Fatoumata

Great, fun and affordable lessons

I have started my mandarin classes with Wave Chinese about three months ago as a complete beginner. There are a quite a lot of online lessons to select from on internet. I am very happy I made the decision to enrol with them. I think their unique selling point compared to the others is they provide assistance for trips in China. I am planning to go to China for an immersion trip so this is perfect. I find their study materials easy to follow and well explained. Andrea my teacher is nice, patient and detailed. She takes the time to explain some Chinese culture at each class which I find very interesting. She makes sure that I have memorized what I learned at the previous class and she makes me talk in mandarin as much as possible as we have a conversation during the class. Ellen my first point of contact at Wave Chinese was very responsive when I asked questions. I am looking to my class each week now and I am happy with the progress I have made so far. It is going to be a steep learning curve but I know that I am in good hands.

Kai

Great tutor and personalized instruction

Andrea was a fantastic tutor. From the start, she made sure to understand my individual learning goals and experience level. She then tailored a study plan specific to my needs. The tutoring sessions were fun and engaging, and Andrea would always send notes over Skype, which was very helpful in reviewing the material. Ellen was also very responsive to any questions I had about my account, lessons, etc. I also found Andrea's recommendations of study material very helpful - we used a combination of articles, textbooks, and books. Everything she recommended was based on the areas I was interested in. For me that was business/economics, but the tutoring would have been helpful for a variety of topics/experience levels. There was always a clear focus on individualized learning and progression on the student's terms. Highly recommend!

Nothing to change, the tutoring was great! Thanks Andrea and Ellen!
Palm

Learning mandarin to work in China

Andrea has been an amazing teacher. She gauged my level of mandarin quickly, and recommended the right text book to work through. After a few months, we have finished the textbook and moved onto reading news articles. I am feeling so much more prepared for work in China, and I would highly recommend the services of Wave Chinese to anyone!
I am preparing to continue the lessons in China after I move over there, which will provide good support while I am transitioning to the new environment and work in China. Wave Chinese also provides helpful tips for what is needed to move to China.

No improvements needed! They regularly ask for suggestions, and are willing to make changes according to any requirements.
Isabelle

Just the best solution !

I was looking for convenient mandarin tuition for my primary school aged children and found Wave Chinese through an online search. I was very pleased with it - it is very convenient as the lessons take place at home, the teachers are native mandarin speakers and experienced in teaching. They are patient with the children, as well as able to teach at the adult level. They are also very nice and friendly and able to relate to all ages. They are always on time, and they even know the curriculum in Australia to be able to support children in their school-based learning. I highly recommend this solution for anyone looking for mandarin tuition for their children or themselves.

Daniel

6 months of skype lessons

Before trying Wave chinese I had never tried one on one tutoring, or used skype except to speak to my parents at Christmas time! I was very apprehensive and reluctant to try but with the nearest chinese classes an hours drive away I decided to give it a go. I think this was the best decision I have made! I had a free trial with Chloe and immediately I signed up for 50 lessons. The initial trial lesson was fun and relaxed and I felt no pressure to sign up at all, no awkward sales pitch.

I am sure that if I was not with using wavechinese I would have made 10% of the progress I have made in the last 6 months, or perhaps I would have lost interest and stopped studying altogether!

I have 2 or 3 classes a week after work, even though I am always tired from work I always look forward to my chinese lessons, it is always fun and interesting.

One on one classes keeps you engaged, motivated, and accountable . The teachers are very strict and will not tolerate you not doing your homework :P they are great at understanding your goals, adapting classes to suit your energy level, and finding ways to keep you motivated! I am sure this is the most effective, best value, and most convenient way to study chinese.

Izzy

Online Chinese lessons

I have had 10 lessons so far in Mandarin. I was assessed at level HSK 2/3 and am currently finishing off the equivalent of level HSK 2 before continuing and aiming to take HSK 3. I think the assessment was good and the recap is really helpful after having a year off of studying Mandarin. Lessons are fun and engaging and I come away feeling motivated to learn more. My teacher Mary is so lovely and always helpful.

N/A

About waveChinese

We are an online Mandarin school. We have native experienced Mandarin teachers. We offer 30-min free trial Mandarin lessons, professional native tutors and free advisory assistance when you are in China. Refer a student to us and both of you will get...