Spanish Course in Bilbao, Northern Spain

No matter how long you have been learning Spanish, we will help you pick up this international language quickly and easily. Our experienced teachers are here to answer all your questions and doubts. We are also available to support students with any personal issues they may have, as well as to boost their learning and progress in Spanish.

Live like the Spanish from the very beginning!

With our intensive Spanish course, you are going to learn at a quick pace, and as our students always say, your time with us will fly by!

This course consists of 20 Spanish classes a week, four classes a day.

In the first two classes you will revise and reinforce what you learned the day before, putting your homework into practice through oral activities, writing, and grammar-strengthening exercises, as well as studying new content, Then there is a small break for half an hour, to replenish your energy In the following two classes you you will continue learning with focus in oral skills.

• Start dates any Monday throughout the year
  • Available to all levels, from beginners to advanced
  • Hands-on learning experiences that transform the world abroad into a classroom
  • Save time and money
  • Get confidence in your Spanish skills

• Instruction 9.9
Luan

The best way to learn and practice at the same time!"

Loved the school! Classes and teachers are great. My Spanish has improved a lot, and I'm now able to keep a conversation, asking for directions, understanding people... I even went to a Movie Theater and watched a movie in Spanish without subtitles! The School is located right in the center of the city, easily accessible by bus, car or walking. Frequently they organize events or/ and lovely excursions nearby. That way I had the opportunity to visit the city and knowing about restaurants, coffee shops, bars and meeting other people. I enjoyed the time I spent at the Instituto Hemingway Spanish School. That's why I highly recommend this experience.

This school is perfect from both points of view: the theoretical and the practical way to learn a language. There are different classes for different levels, and the activities and rides around the city let you practice what you study in class. I think I learnt more Spanish by hanging around the city with Carmen and Carmela than just studying from any book. I'll always remember this wonderful stay in Bilbao.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Between Spain’s siesta culture and a wonderfully lively nightlife, meal times there are much later than most immigrants would no doubt be used to.
Enjoying Spanish tapas in the sun.
Lunch is pretty religiously eaten at around 3 PM, just after clocking off for the day, while dinner normally takes place between 9 and 10 at night.
Rose

Learning Spanish at the best School ever

I had been learning Spanish from books and online courses for a while, and had visited Spain many times, but I lacked the confidence to speak to people for fear that they wouldn’t understand me and I wouldn’t be able to understand them. I decided to go to Instituto Hemingway for a two week super intensive course mainly to build my listening and speaking skills. I made great progress in my time there. All of the staff were great, but the teachers in particular were very patient and helpful. I have a way to go before I get even close to being fluent, but I now have much more confidence that I can hold a conversation and ‘mas o menos’ be understood. I loved every minute of it.

I went on my own & could not have been made to feel more welcome at Instituto Hemingway. Staff very friendly & school located in a fabulous part of Bilbao, near Casco Viejo. I managed to see most of the major sights of Bilbao, improve my spoken Spanish & learn a bit about local culture (discovered a fondness for Pintxos)

Instituto Hemingway is the best Spanish language school in Bilbao, I chose it for its location (in beautiful, convenient Casco Viejo district next to the Railway and metro station) and because the staff had been very sympathetic and encouraging when we corresponded. But by the end of my first day of class I was aware of two other supremely important advantages: the quality of the faculty and the quality of the students. My teacher was unquestionably the best, most dynamic teacher of Spanish I have ever had. She gave every inch of herself to the job and every day brought original ideas, fresh insights, and crystal clarity of explanation – as well as abundant humor and a wonderful depth of culture – to the classroom. Every day the hours of classroom instruction passed quickly and left me eager to return the next day. My teacher’s openness and breadth of reference (as well as her humor) encouraged the interaction so essential to acquisition of familiarity with the language, and my fellow students rose to the occasion. From all over the world, they were motivated and united by an affinity for Spain and its language and a desire to learnto speak Spanish. They were open-minded and ready to engage with their colleagues. Friendships formed quickly and endured throughout. We learned from one another as well as from our marvelous teacher.
Hanz

The place to go to learn spanish in Spain

Hola! I'm writing this review because I'm really thankful for the Hemingway Institute and how they helped me to make my stay in Bilbao one of the best experiences in my life. Carlos was my teacher and made the classes very enjoyable, but at the same time I learned a lot with him. The lessons are very practical, they forced me to talk and they corrected me every time I needed it.

I made a lot of friends as the Institute promotes friendship and social and cultural activities with all the students apart from the lessons given in the academy.

I knew that the spanish accent in Bilbao was very good and easy to understand, but after my experience I can say without doubt that the Hemingway is the place to go to learn spanish in Spain.

Margaret

Learning Spanish was the best decision ever

My language course at Instituto Hemingway was a big success. Not only does the school offered excellent facilities, the teachers were professional, very proactive and enthusiastic. Also, a student was placed within a group of students that matches his or her level of Spanish. In total, there were almost 6+ classes that guide students in their quest to learn Spanish.

Also, the after school activities were fun and was a great way to get to know the city or other students. There was a wide variety of activities to choose from (one activity per day) and the activities itself were well organized.

I can also recommend staying with a host family, because it makes the immersion in the Spanish lifestyle complete. The family I stayed with was amazing and I couldn't have planned for a better way to feel at home in Bilbao.

All in all it was a perfect time for me! I met a lot of nice people and could learn a lot of Spanish! The teachers had been very friendly and motivating and it was easy to change classes and get an accommodation! Most of accommodations are new and really nice There were a lot of possibilities to do activities in your free time! I love Bilbao and Instituto Hemingway was perfect

I would recommend anyone who wants to learn/improve Spanish to go to this school!

I would like having received more information before coming to Spain. Many things took it for granted but I was not sure that the program was going to be that way.
Chelsea

My Spanish course was the best course ever

Interning abroad has been one of the best decisions I have made in my life so far. From the beginning of the process, Instituto Hemingway went above and beyond to make sure that I was going to get the best placement possible. At my Spanish course in Northern Spain, I learned so much and was very grateful to be a part of an incredible team. I cannot put into words how rewarding my experience was and how easy Instituto Hemingway made it for me.

They were always keeping up with us and even planned fun group outings as to stay in touch! We went to a wine tasting program, did a bike tour, and day trip to a local beach town on top of many more. This was truly a once in a lifetime experience. I went all over Spain. Bilbao is a vibrant city with so many options for how you want to spend your time. The people are kind and the weather is great.

Put in effort to learn about the culture, people, & language because it will make your experience so much better!
Louise

I absolutely loved this Spanish course!!

Size of class and level of participation and comprehension good. Our teachers were fine and the five sessions with Fran were especially helpful in understanding culture, politics and regional differences. We were quite pleased with our home apartment. Bilbao is a fantastic city.

I am 28 years old and it was my first "language school experience". I appreciated the professionalism of the teachers and the efficient structure of the lessons (with both grammar and conversational skills, associated in a way that you practice efficiently what is taught).

The staff are really friendly and all of the teachers put so much effort into their jobs and they can't be thanked enough for it. The activities run through the school are very fun and I am glad I had this opportunity to study in Instituto Hemingway.

The long talks with her (a lawyer practicing from home) really added a lot to improving our speaking ability.

Be relaxed and is not only time for studying but also for enjoying your vacation
Peter

Total inmersion Spanish program

The teachers were excellent. I would say not only were they very good at teaching, the three teachers that I interacted with I would characterize as being pleasant and exuberant personalities. I would also like to add that my classmates at the school were excellent as well and that I made some really good friends at (and through) Instituto Hemingway. The location is convenient and I also like the fact that the school is located in an "active" and "entertaining" part of the city. I also participated in activities that were introduced to me through Instituto Hemingway. Those were awesome as well because I was able to interact with other students in Bilbao (ERASMUS for example) outside of my language school. Additionally, my accommodation in Bilbao was as good as anyone could ask for as I was able to stay with an extremely kind and helpful Spanish woman and after some weeks I moved out to an independent apartment of Instituto, next to School. Finally, I can honestly say that my Spanish skills tangibly improved during my time in Bilbao and that I was able to lay a strong foundation for tremendous future improvement after my stay in Bilbao. I was an A+ Spanish student in college in the United States and I would state unequivocally, that my Spanish improved more in my 3 months in Bilbao than it did in an entire year of studying Spanish in college.

In my opinion 30 hours of intensive lessons per week are a lot when it comes to reality. I think that perhaps it should be accompanied with some outdoor activities but I understand the School has to meet the needs of everybody.
Vera

Thumbs up for Spanish lessons!!

The teachers are mostly young and fun. That really helped relate to the new culture we were facing since they were speaking Spanish but spoke “our language”. The school offered good service and seemed really like a Babel tower since there were people from Latin America, Europe, Asia, and North America all in my own class. There’s nothing compared to spending time in a country where the language spoken is the one you’re trying to learn. It’s the fastest and most accurate way of learning! I was surprised by the quality of the teaching methods as well as the incredibly nice and motivated teachers! The classes are perfect in size and there is not too many students.

In my nine months of classes at the institute, I can say it was spectacular. Why? Let me start by saying that the school is very well located and has self-level teachers.

1) The teaching methodology is impeccable
2) The teachers have a very good disposition (friendly).
3) Their language books are updated.
4) There is a privilege of exchanging with people from different cultures and with different habits.
5) Their knowledge of Spain (history, culture, customs, politics, etc.).

I can only describe the school, but those who would want to attend should have the curiosity and courage to try the language.

I really recommend this school! I will maybe be back in the next years. The location was good in city centre and it was relatively near the beach (30 min by metro), so it was quite useful after class.

Everything was perfect. After spending 9 months studying Spanish I consider some of the great activities Instituto Hemingway offers every afternoon were repeated but that to some point is normal.