CAPA Buenos Aires: Study & Intern Abroad

Study and Intern Abroad with CAPA in Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires, with its fiery culinary scene, mellow art galleries, and passionate soccer fans is an electrifying global city. Study abroad here and you’ll never forget the distinctive taste of an asado or sharing your first mate with a local friend. You’ll stroll the cobblestone streets admiring the grand European-style architecture, learn about traditional gaucho culture and explore this global city’s rich and passionate political history.

CAPA students will mingle with other international students where classes are held at Austral University. Take classes taught in English or, if you have a high level of Spanish, you can also take classes taught in Spanish at the Pilar campus.

Our distinctive blend of academic and experiential education takes your learning style, interests, preferences and independence into consideration. You’ll learn both inside the classroom and beyond, with field studies, excursions, My Global City events, and an (optional) internship placement.

CAPA Scholarships
CAPA Scholarships and Financial Aid

Each year, we award $1.5 million in study abroad scholarships, grants and affiliate benefits!

$500 - $5,000

Claire

Interning and Studying in Buenos Aires has changed me for the better.

Working at Brincar, a local nonprofit, not only gave me language proficiency, but also the valuable opportunity to do something meaningful to effect change while abroad. I learned what my limits and capabilities are, and was stretched and challenged to lead programming all in my second language. My internship also allowed me to meet and work with so many incredible locals who are making huge differences in the lives of people with Autism in Argentina. Beyond the internship, the friendships I made, both with locals and international students, and experiences I had will stay with me forever. It was totally, without a shadow of a doubt, worthwhile.
Never once did I feel unsafe when staying in Buenos Aires. Just like any city, it's good to be cautious, and I took my tips from the Argentines around me: for example, on public transportation, everyone wears their back packs on their fronts with an arm slung over it. This prevents theft. Things like that, and just being generally aware of your surroundings, will keep you safe.
Our knowledgable on-site staff made me feel safe and cared for. They were wonderful about providing information on opportunities for engagement in the city, as well as other helpful cultural and linguistic tips. They responded to emails and texts rapidly, even when they weren't in the office. They made sure we knew we could come to them with anything, from homesickness to actually being sick, to just needing to complain about how much we missed a certain type of food. They were incredible.I definitely encourage study abroad students to search out their own opportunities for language growth outside of the classroom. For me, that looked like my internship, volunteering each week, attending a local church, and seeking out relationships with Argentines.

Not many of the course offerings on the main campus are in Spanish, only the Spanish language courses. I would have loved to take some topic-specific classes IN Spanish, but the campus where those were offered was an hour away by bus, and I couldn't fit it into my schedule with my internship. I would definitely love to see changes to that.
Read my full story
Blean

Cafés & Healthcare

Known for its cafés and strolls down cobblestone roads, Buenos Aires left that impression on me as well, and so much more. My favorite experiences in BA was waking up early one cold morning and walking a couple miles to meet with my classmates for an excursion. Being that no one in BA gets up earlier than 9am, the streets we completely silent and all I could hear were the birds and my shoes as they hit the distressed pavement on every step. As per usual, I stepped into a random café and got myself a medialuna (croissant-like pastry) and a cortado (a shot of espresso and milk) and continued on to my destination.
Aside from giving us the chance to experience the everyday life in Buenos Aires, CAPA gave us the unique opportunity to immerse ourselves in the professional lives of Argentinians in the Healthcare field. The curriculum of the Comparative Healthcare Systems Seminar not only exposed us to their healthcare systems and how they work, but we were also given a brief history of Argentina and history of healthcare. This interdisciplinary form of teaching allows us to have a deeper understanding of who makes up the population, where they reside, and their views on health which then allows us to better absorb our experiences when visiting clinics and hospitals. This is an example of CAPA does its best to give us a unique form of immersion; informed immersion.
The one thing I liked about the program coordination was that this was very well structured but the faculty and staff were flexible as well. CAPA does its best to make sure you obtain the goals you would like to achieve while abroad. For example, I was determined to shadow a physician at some point during my trip. Even though it wasn’t originally on the schedule, our faculty were able to ensure that my goals were met and had a fulfilling experience.
My best advice would be to take hold of the reigns and be proactive in reaching the goals you would like to achieve. It may seem that some aspect of the curriculum or schedule is lacking to your interests or missing something you would like to experience, there is no harm in trying to be instrumental in the programs’ service to you. CAPA is always willing to hear your voice and to implement change.

Delonte

The day I became a Yankeetino!

Before going abroad, I wasn't quite sure about the academic rigor abroad. I didn't know it would be similar to American style of classes or of it would be something completely different. To my surprise, I actually liked the Argentinian style of academics. On Monday through Thursday (didn't have school on Friday) I would wake up around 7:15am for a 20-40 minute commute to school. I would generally end the day around 3:00-4:00pm. The great thing was that my weekend started at 12:30pm on Thursday so I could use the weekend to travel. I like the style of school so that each 3-credit class would be held on one day. However with this method, I had to make sure to stay on top of my studies because only having class once a week was way different then I was used to. In addition, college in Argentina is way more independent in a lot of ways. Most students live at home so the whole sense of college being a community, that is fostered in America, is quite foreign to them. That being said, there are many extra curricular actives or even a traditional campus in that sense.

The international classes in English were relatively the same amount of work as my home university. Much of the workload consisted of readings. There was rarely homework which may come to a surprise for some. Although many may favor this, it may be difficult for some to adjust to because of the amount of self-discipline and self-management it is. I enrolled in one direct enrollment class within the University. The class was in Spanish for 4.5 hours every Thursday. The great part the class is that I learned a whole new host of business jargon and acumen in Spanish. Like most classes, the grades consisted of two major test--the midterm and the final. That being said, students are given to pass if he or she did not perform well the first time.

My program director gave an immense amount of support. She was very hands-on and made sure that I was always doing well. She assured me that it would take some time to get used to the new way of schooling but that I would pick up on it soon enough.

For those concerned about living conditions, if you are independent and social, I would definitely recommend staying with other international students or having your own place. While a home-stay is ideal because it generally comes with prepared meals and stability, I think it took away from me fully being able to experience the culture with people my age. However, my host-mother and I always engaged in great conversation about Argentinian politics and pop culture over dinner. I would have rather lived with other international students to learn more about their culture and their abroad experiences. I think you will find that going abroad is much more of the norm in other cultures than it is in America. For many students, Argentina was the last place in their expedition of Latin America. If you would like to rent apartment, they are relatively cheap in comparison America and often come with amenities included.

If you love great beef and empanadas, you are in for a treat. Much of the food has European influences. There are a lot of options ranging from pasta, pizza, asado (grilled beef and chicken), excellent wine, medialunas (croissant like pastries), and sweet alfajores. It may take sometime to get adjusted to the lack of typical American food, but there are a few good wing and burger spots throughout the city. Argentina has some of the best beef I've ever tasted--no seasoning needed. Their artisan style pizza, consumed with fork and knife, may not be your typical experience eating pizza. Take a chance and venture our to the local parillas and fine dining locations. The shawarma may just be your favorite late night food too!

I felt very integrated during my trip. In actuality, it was harder dealing with reverse culture shock upon my return to the States. I met many new people, whose I still communicate with every day. Being a black man, I felt more respect there than in the US in many instances. The culture is laid-back and relaxed, correlating to the slow place of life. The nation is heavily bound together by its love for soccer. As seen during the World Cup, avid "fútbol" fans too the streets to celebrate after each victory. The culture is fun and hip with the nightlife extending early into the morning (around 7:30-8:00am. The people are warm hearted and brought a gregarious side out of me I never knew I had.

Catherine

Studying Abroad in BA, one of the best experiences of my life!

CAPA Buenos Aires is a fantastic program, it's set up extremely well through an established company and gives you a lot of different opportunities. All of your bases are covered before you leave with things like health insurance, living arrangements and other basic information like what to expect when you arrive. The academics are challenging just like they would be in your home institution but again CAPA is there to support you with checkups throughout the semester and an on site director who is available if there is any type of problem. CAPA also provides you with a MyEducation calender which is a list of activities that are taking place during your the months you will be in the city. This is nice because you might not always have time to find or even know where to look for free or cheap cultural event happenings and to have all of this information provided so you can make the most of your time abroad is great. CAPA works really hard in other ways to make your time abroad goes smoothly, for housing they have you fill out a detailed survey in order to place you in a living situation with people you'll be best matched with. While you are abroad you'll be in contact with several people including the director of your CAPA program and your CAPA advisor from back before you left who will all make sure you're doing alright and staying on track, all without being too overbearing! They're like a really solid support system that you can lean on-if you need to. If anything major comes up like you end up in the hospital or a criminal incident of some sort (robbery, etc.) they are right there on top of things with you. As for the other things related to studying abroad like traveling the CAPA Buenos Aires center housed within the host university is located extremely close to downtown and the major transportation systems there so getting around is easy. I was able to leave class and head to various locations throughout the city by taxi, bus or bicycle many times without having an issue. Throughout the Fall semster at least there were several week long breaks and many days when there were no classes on Fridays so exploring the country is definitely possible even while taking several classes. Many of the services on campus are available to international students as well like printing (although you currently have to pay out of pocket for that but it is significantly cheaper than say the U.S.), the cafeteria (the food there is ok, there's a homemade section where eachday hot meals are prepared and there's also a section to buy snacks and subs or empanadas in. Many students do end up eating there or at one of the restaurants close by like Burger King) and library which is small but functional. There are not a lot of activities that allow for the international students taking classes in English to interact with the regular university students though. Most often you won't have opportunities to meet people and will end up sticking with the people in your classes because there aren't many coordinated activities. The CAPA Buenos Aires program as a whole is really fantastic,it allows for a lot of freedom and opportunites but is also structured in a way that you feel prepared and well taken care of. Buenos Aires is an amazing place to visit and the program CAPA has in place to help you explore it is probably one of the best out there!

CAPA does ask that mid way through your time abroad you send them some photos and paragraphs about your time so far along with a photo and description of yourself and your experiences abroad that they can add to their website. This can be a little difficult to manage with all of the other things you have going on like academics, traveling, your social life, volunteering, etc. plus it's hard to do when you haven't completed your program abroad yet. You don't have the full picture yet and are not able to reflect back on everything as there are still many things you'll experience and learn. Also, at least my experience was liek this, once you sign on for a program all of the pertinent information CAPA has for you isn't released all at once but instead at various times up until your departure (example: your homestay information like name of the family you'll be with, their telephone number, address, etc. isn't released to you until about a week and a half before you leave). This can lead to much confusion, sometimes frustration and a lot of unneccesary work on both the students and CAPA's part because key information is not always available to the student who is trying to prepare to leave. Most of the time though CAPA is good about providing you with the necessary information, I never had someone not actually answer my question-sometimes it just took awhile or I had to ask lots and lots of questions to get the answers I needed.

Location:
Ministro Pistarini International
( EZE )
El Palomar
( EPA )

There is no better place to take up a new hobby (or two) than Buenos Aires, Argentina. If you are looking to try tango, cooking, photography, or painting; this vibrant city is a thriving community for creators.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About CAPA: The Global Education Network

Studying abroad with CAPA means learning in the classroom, then supporting that structured academic foundation by going beyond and experiencing the diverse global city firsthand. You’ll do this through field studies and cultural events as well as on...