IES Abroad Buenos Aires - Latin Amer. Societies and Cultures

IES Abroad Buenos Aires - Latin Amer. Societies and Cultures

Buenos Aires will also be your classroom. Learn about visual arts in the city and then meet with local graffiti artists before seeing their work. Study the impact of globalization in Latin America and then get an internship with one of the country’s top businesses. Welcome to study abroad!

Open to students of all language levels, the Latin American Societies & Cultures Program allows you to improve your Spanish language skills while taking courses in the Arts, Humanities, Business, and Social Sciences, all of which feature an academic emphasis on Latin America.

Check out this center for yourself by taking a Virtual Tour at www.IESabroad.org/study-abroad/virtual-tour.

South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires

Julia
Austin, Texas
University of Texas- Austin

An Unforgettable Journey

My experience in Buenos Aires was truly unforgettable. That is a cliche thing to say, I know, as it is said by virtually each and every student who studies abroad. But I truly believe that my time not only in Buenos Aires, but specifically with IES was a special one to say the least. Buenos Aires is a magical city. You have the South American culture, yet in a very European-like, metropolitan city. The Spanish is so beautiful, yet the people are even more so - in their looks and in their actions. They are kind, welcoming, encouraging, and respectful, and they make you want to experience their hometown like they have. I had this experience both with random locals I met, with my host family, and with the people who worked with IES. IES truly could not have made me feel more at home in a city so far and so different from my actual home than they did. The opportunities for community they provided, their services and encouragement they continuously offered, and the ways in which they challenged me to do my best and to make the most out of my experience was second to none, and was with out a doubt one of, if not the, greatest factor in making my time abroad so spectacular. If i could do it again, I would. A thousand times over.

Brynn
Boulder, CO
University of Rochester

Abroad in Buenos Aires

IES Abroad was a fantastic experience. I lived in a homestay in the neighborhood of Palermo-- definitely one of the best parts of the city! Living in a big city was such a fun experience and there is always something to do. The classes can be very easy or very challenging depending on how much Spanish immersion you want in your experience. IES accepts a wide range of students with an equally wide range of Spanish speaking abilities, so you can choose to make your classes easier or harder on yourself. Their orientation week is amazing and jam packed with fun activities around the area. The staff is super accommodating and will do whatever they can to help students have a great experience abroad. I miss Buenos Aires so much and I can't wait to go back!

Alex
Stratham, NH
Bentley University

Living Large in Buenos Aires

Oh boy, I'm sure I have a few chart topping stories to bum you out, but my favorite unique experience is definitely a positive. I was alone for a short break and I decided to travel on the other side of the country. On a whim, on the side of a mountain (I was hiking in Jujuy) I began to film myself. For the next two days I filmed 45 seconds every few hours of me: meeting new people, taking a break in a cafe, wheezing on a mountain, or seeing something beautiful.
I was able to appreciate so many things about the trip that I didn't know I would, and I actually watched my videos the other day. Without sitting behind a lens the whole time, I was able to experience a world full of sights and it was amazing. I would encourage anyone to try this at any time in their life. You never know what you might catch on camera.

There were some problems with the host university, but those are being worked on if I'm not mistaken.

Elizabeth
Hamburg
Pennsylvania State University

A Fantastic Experience in the Paris of the Americas

I absolutely loved my time in Buenos Aires! The IES staff was extremely helpful. Let's face it, studying abroad can be challenging. Living in a foreign country and being away from family and friends can be scary. The IES staff made the transition as easy as possible. If you had a problem, they would do whatever they could to help you out. For example, when I had issues with one of the local bus companies while traveling, Florencia, one of the Student Affairs coordinators, became my advocate. She went above and beyond to help me solve the issue. As someone who isn't great at Spanish, that meant the world to me. The entire staff is like that. The field trips offered by IES were really cool! They offered different trips and activities that exposed us to different aspects of Argentine culture. We took tours of Buenos Aires, attended rugby matches and saw musical acts. I highly recommend the trip to Salta and Jujuy. It is expensive but if you can afford it, it is totally worth it. The trip exposes you to the Argentine countryside and life outside of Buenos Aires. I really enjoyed my classes as well. There were a lot of reading assignments in my courses but overall the workload wasn't unreasonable. My professors were extremely knowledgeable and were more than willing to help you. Overall, I loved my time in Buenos Aires. I of course had some bad days along the way, but the good far outweighed the bad. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who wants to experience life in the Paris of the Americas.

Matthew
Novato, California
Santa Clara University

Argentina: A Hidden Gem

When I studied abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I went out of my comfort zone and got the most out of the experience. I learned about the culture in Argentina and how people there are so passionate that it brought out a side of me that no other experience can. I learned so much about how Argentina operates on a daily basis. I was able to see many differences in lifestyle and norms in society that made me appreciate what I have in the U.S. and what I grew to love in Argentina. I developed so much more as a person where I could express myself in a different setting through the Spanish language and understand life in Argentina. I learned the most from my host parents who taught me how to get around the city and to travel to places in and out of Argentina that would be worth seeing.

One of my best memories I have is going to Iguazu Falls to see one of the seven natural wonders of the world. I went to the falls with a small group for a weekend trip towards the beginning of my program when it was still warm there, but not overly humid and tropical. I spent one full day in the Iguazu Falls Park with my group of friends and that was enough. We went up to the top of the falls at La Garganta del Diablo and went below the falls and explored other parts of the park on the Argentina side. The falls separate Brazil and Argentina and it was amazing to see it all. One reason why one day was enough for me was because of the coati animals that live in the park. The coatis are kind of like raccoons, except they have really sharp claws and can open backpacks and steal food. There are many signs in the park warning you that they can scratch or bite you. When we first saw them, we were so excited to see them and got as many pictures as we could. But towards the end of the day there, as we were on our last hike down a trail, we were tired of them after they swarmed us when we were having lunch. We shooed them away and wanted to get out of the park. With all that happened, from taking in the spectacular views to fighting off the coatis, it was well worth the trip especially bonding with my friends there in the park and on our 20-hour bus ride there and 20 hours back.

The only thing I would say to improve the program is the level of organization for planned events. I learned to understand that Argentines are not punctual people and they are more relaxed, so I got used to it. In a way, it was fun to have events not run on time and change my normal to their normal of running late and not being in a hurry. Although this may seem as a waste of time (and in some cases it definitely was) I learned to appreciate the culture and not hold people so closely to a strict time schedule for events that should happen when they are planned.

Margot
Durham, North Carolina
Duke University

My new home

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires has been an experience that, at the risque of sounding cliché, changed me and made me grow as a person. Argentina is an amazing country, and since the first day there, I feel like I had found my home away from home.
My first night in Buenos Aires, my roommate and I decided to go out for a little exploring adventure. After walking around for hours and being fascinated by everything around us, we finally settled to go have dinner in a small yet charming restaurant. It turns out that this restaurant was also a Jazz club, and so our dinner was beautifully serenaded by a Jazz band, who were incredibly good. This is just one of many examples of the things you can encounter in Buenos Aires while not expecting it. While you may think you are going to a nice walk in the street, you will encounter ferias and street shows as every corner. While you think you are simply going on a run around los Bosques de Palermo, you will end up having a conversation with a stranger.
Argentina has been a way for me to open up as a person, and grow in ways that I would never have suspected I would have. Thanks to IES, all of our courses were supplemented by field trips that allowed us to engage and get discover more of the cultural aspect of Buenos Aires, but also that gave us a better overview of the country that I grew to call my home away from home.
Without a doubt, I would do it again tomorrow if it was an option!

Callan
Indianapolis, Indiana
Wittenberg University

UCA Volleyball

One of the benefits of taking a class at a local university is that you can join their sports teams. Since I play at my university, I decided to join the UCA volleyball team. We had practice 2 times a week and games every Friday night. Not only did I get Spanish practice and made some of my favorite memories but I also made some of my best friends there, and they were Argentine!

Jvasquezohara
Santa Clara, California
Santa Clara University

Far exceeded my expectations

At the risk of sounding cliche, Argentina completely stole my heart. The city itself is one of the most beautiful and unique cities I have ever been to. What makes Buenos Aires, and Argentina as a whole, unique is that it maintains its European influences, while also having many traits specific to South America, especially when you leave the city and enter the countryside. The city is beautiful and teeming with liveliness, but I also enjoyed being in the countryside. I got to go paragliding and horseback riding through the Andes Mountains in Mendoza; I saw countless Orcas in the waters of Peninsula Valdes; I got to play with the penguins in Punta Tombo, home to one of the largest penguin rookeries in the world; I rode the white waters in Bariloche, Patagonia; I hiked for days in the beautiful and quaint El Chalten, Patagonia; and I climbed to the top of one of the largest glaciers in the world in El Calafate, Patagonia.

IES does a good job of striking the balance between making sure we engage in academics, while also giving us the tools and opportunities to travel and explore.

Caroline
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Wake Forest University

Most Amazing 5 Months of My Life!

My experience in Argentina was five of the most exciting months of my entire life. I was able to backpack in Patagonia, hike the desert landscape of the Salta region, enjoy a quirky twist on Oktoberfest in Cordoba, and learn to tango in Buenos Aires. Argentina is a unique, and diverse country filled with a proud and resilient population. It was so hard for me to leave Argentina that I change my flight to leave a month after my original departure date. The time spent in Argentina hs altered my life forever.

I chose IES, because I wanted a program in which I would be able to improve my Spanish and fully immerse myself into the host country's culture - Buenos Aires proved the perfect vehicle for just that. Buenos Aires is an exciting and vibrant city, I loved that each barrio (neighborhood) was uniquely distinct from one another, and that simply walking a few blocks could transport you into a dissimilar subculture within the larger context of the city. IES helped ease us into the foreign culture by providing field trips to local estancias, museums, nearby towns, etc. IES helped make Buenos Aires feel like home within a few short weeks.

Although IES was a great experience, I wish that the classes were more demanding. Although I enjoyed the break from more normal workload, I feel that harder classes may have helped me learn a little bit more about the culture and history of Argentina.

Christa
Cleveland, Ohio
Ohio Wesleyan University

A GREAT 4 MONTHS!!!

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires was a great experience. The IES staff really wants you to succeed in your classes and learn so much from experiencing the culture. Some of the classes go on field trips that really help demonstrate what the class is about. Field trips include going to estancias, rugby game, cooking class, museums, and much more.

I stayed in a home stay, and it was so enjoyable. I felt like I was really included in the family. Every night we would sit down at dinner together and talk about politics, great places to visit, and about our days. This was all in Spanish. Speaking in Spanish at school all day and then continuing when I left class made me improved my Spanish tremendously! The families tend to be really great cooks too!

There is also a choice to participate in the Spanish language partners program. You are matched with an Argentine student. You meet with them about once a week and talk in Spanish for a half hour and then English for a half hour. It is a great opportunity to meet some Argentinians and go to local places that some tourists might not know about.

There are so many great places to travel in Argentina! Every place is completely different, so you can have so many different types of experiences in your travels. I highly recommend visiting Iguazu Falls and El Calafate and El Chalten in Patagonia. Uruguay is only a couple hour ferry ride away from Buenos Aires. I suggest making Uruguay a weekend trip. It's great to visit, but more than a weekend is not necessary.

My program was in Spring 2013, and I still get really excited whenever I get to tell someone about my experience! I look forward to the day I get to go back and visit Argentina. I highly recommend studying abroad with IES Abroad Buenos Aires.

For the Spanish language program, make is easier for the partners to get together. It is a great idea however, my partner and I had a hard time finding a time and a location that was convenient for both of us.

Addison
University of Rochester

Best way to travel, best way to study

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires with IES was one of the most enjoyable and lasting experiences I've had in college. Paradoxically, although the demand of the classes in terms of grade rewards are moderately low, I felt that my semester accounted for some of the most important and accelerated learning processes I've had in college; helping me to drastically improve my spanish, my knowledge about Argentina, and widen my perspective on both my and my country's placement in world relations and history. My classes are each amazing, the staff at the program couldn't be more lovable and available, and I have fallen in love with life in Buenos Aires and other parts of South America. I'm just itching to get back and live there again. It's rare that someone studying abroad hits the maximum level of immersion that they'd like, and it's difficult when you get to the end and have to go home without as many friends or as much fluency as you like. But it's a normal frustration and it gets better and can improve with extra effort. I'm very excited to go back and continue to build on the integration progress I made.

I would want the residence hall to somehow guarantee that you would receive a roommate who speaks spanish. It was frustrating when my two later roommates were english-speakers only.

Leah
Durham, NC
Duke University

Amazing experience!

I had an incredible experience in Buenos Aires. I got really close with the family that I lived with, who I loved, and also had so much space to adventure and explore the city. Buenos Aires is such an eclectic, fantastic, fun city and IES really helped me have such a great experience there- through them, I met so many great people, enjoyed a lot of planned excursions, learned about the history and context in my classes, and improved my Spanish by a ton!

Sarah
Mendoza, Argentina
George Washington University

The best semester.

My semester in Buenos Aires was amazing. The staff is awesome and always looking to improve your experience. I was placed with a wonderful host mother, who really made my experience. I was faced with the normal cultural shocks, such as adjusting to Argentine time standards ( or lack of!) but the staff and my host family really helped me to adjust. The culture of this city is so rich and so fascinating. Buenos Aires is a perfect place to study abroad.

Anna
Bethlehem, PA
Lehigh University

Buenos Aires Study Abroad

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires is one of the best experiences I have ever had. The city is full of life and culture and the people are friendly and interesting. There is a variety of things to do both in the day and at night so it is hard to ever be bored. Although the public transportation can be a bit difficult to master, it is fairly easy to get around once you get the hang of it and it can take you to most places located within the city. I recommend that all students try to explore the various neighborhoods because they are all interesting and unique in their own ways.

IES Abroad offered a variety of classes that taught me about the history and culture of Argentina. They were fairly work intensive and I felt like I learned a lot in most of my classes. A few of them incorporated field trips which really made what we were learning come to life. If you are of an advanced level you can also take classes at the university which is a great way to strengthen your Spanish skills and meet Argentines.

I had a wonderful home stay experience through which I felt like I actually became part of an Argentine family rather than simply living with strangers. Having dinner with my home stay mother every night and discussing everything from politics to the best restaurants in the city, all in Spanish, was one of the highlights of the trip. Most home stays are located either near the IES center in Recoleta or in Palermo which can easily be reached by bus from the center. I highly recommend doing a home stay over living in the dorms, they are usually much nicer and offer you a much more authentic experience.

IES Abroad also planned a variety of trips ranging from visiting an estancia (Argentine version of a ranch) to a formal Argentine cuisine cooking class. Overall, the staff is friendly and helpful so if you are having trouble in a class or with a home stay, you can always turn to them. There is also time to do some traveling of your own which is a great way to see the rest of the country. Argentina is a huge country so make sure to plan accordingly, bus trips are usually around 18-20 hours and require some planning. I recommend going to Salta and Jujuy, Uruguay, and Mendoza. Buenos Aires is a really fun and metropolitan city but it is also important to see the rest of the country because each area is very different.

I strongly believe that everyone should study abroad and Buenos Aires is a great place to do so. It is Europeanized but located in South America which gives it an interesting mix of food, art, architecture and people.

Although the staff is caring I think they should check in on students more frequently. Some students have trouble adjusting but are scared of being vocal about it, so if there was a more frequent check-in process these problems could be addressed and solved faster.

ChelseaPortena
Ann Arbor, Michigan
University of Michigan

The best 4 months of your life-Buenos Aires

IES Abroad: Semester in Argentina was one of the most amazing experiences I have had. I studied abroad Spring 2012 and am counting down the days to go back. The staff, IES center and the city were all great. IES provided a lot of extra activities that were essential to making the program top notch. Some extra activities included, cooking class at one of the top universities in the country, drum class, tango classes, performances by different musical groups, tickets to the opera, trip to Tigre, and the list goes on. IES goes above and beyond to make each student feel comfortable and part of the culture of Buenos Aires. You can use as much or as little of the resources they provide.

I lived in a homestay and I could say that the students on my program all had positive experiences and IES worked closely to ensure we were all were happy. IES cares about what YOU want out of YOUR experience, which I feel is different than many other programs.

I was in the advance program and took classes at IES and at a local university. I would recommend you are 100% confident in the course you choose to take at the local university because it is more difficult then the courses at IES. The teachers at IES are great, fun and very helpful. My classes took fieldtrips to sites we were learning about in class. I also took the service learning course that provides you with an internship. Something unique to IES in Buenos Aires. My internship involved me going into Villa 21 (the slums of Buenos Aires) and working with youth there. Other internships included working at the public hospital shadowing doctors, marketing, promoters, etc.

The center is located in microcentro, which is in the heart of Buenos Aires... right off the avenue 9 de julio- the widest avenue in the world. I would say over the majority of students lived close enough to walk to class from their homes.

There is so much to explore in Buenos Aires and IES does a great job at providing you the opportunities to explore while giving you complete independence.

More guidance in conversational spanish.

Maria
Chicago, IL

Buenos Aires

I studied abroad in Buenos Aires from 2009-2010 and it was a good experience. I lived with two different host families and was able to explore two different neighborhoods. I really enjoyed Buenos Aires and its unique barrios. Each barrio has a unique flavor and adds to the color of the city. I love empanadas. As a non red meat eater, I was able to survive as much of the cooking in the city of Buenos Aires has more of a Spanish/Italian flair...if you try the cuisine outside of the city you're sure to be in for a treat. When I was up north almost to the border with Brazil, I had ice cream made out of flowers and when I was all the way south, I had some of the best seafood ever (close second to the seafood of the Gulf Shores).

There are many cultural attractions, festivals, ferias, plays, comedy shows, and events that keep the city alive literally day or night.

I took classes at both IES and at the local universities. I was grateful to have the experience of being with my fellow Americans and getting to know other locals through my classes. I also really enjoyed my internship and learning about the social justice issues. There's a big contrast organizationally between how public universities are run in Argentina versus IES, but the academic staff was great in navigating through all of the paperwork.

I recommend this program and definitely studying abroad in general, it's a worthy experience!

Paul
Los Angeles, CA.
Davidson College

Phenomenal Experience with IES in BsAs

Last fall semester (2011) abroad in Buenos Aires with IES was an experience I will never forget.

From the moment I stepped off the plane, I was in the hands of friendly, capable, and helpful IES staff (most of whom were Porteños). The orientation period was honestly one of the highlights of the trip; it gave us the opportunity to really immerse ourselves in the Argentine culture right away by providing tours around the city, day trips to estancias, and quality time to bond with our new teachers and the orientation staff. It also allowed us to really get to know our new peers and classmates.

The home stay that IES provided me could not have been better. I was placed in a family of eight, including a dog, and was welcomed home everyday with heartwarming ladrido! My Spanish (Castellano) got infinitely better just by living with my family, and it helped that their patience was also infinite.

The city of Buenos Aires itself was simply spectacular. A huge metropolitan area constantly animated by the energy of millions of people. Walking around the streets was in itself an enjoyment as I was subsequently sucked into the fast-paced hustle and bustle of an inner city. There was so much to see and and so much to do, I only wish I could have spent a year (or 2, or 3) exploring all the different barrios!

The nightlife could not have been better. The city is covered with fun social venues of all kinds, whether they be casual restaurants and bars, or party-hardy, early morning clubs, Buenos Aires has them all. Having the opportunity to meet locals and enjoy nights out with them in their element was beyond fantastic (and it helps that Argentines aren't too painful to look at as well).

Classes were informative and challenging, but not overwhelming. My language class at IES was a blast, and I quickly was introduced to the lunfardo of everyday speech. If you're interested in Marketing at all, take Professor Martin Tessi's Marketing in Latin America course--a lot of fun and a couple of field trips involved.

I couldn't recommend IES Abroad in Buenos Aires enough!

Go BsAs!

apw
Washington, D.C.

Living in the big city

IES Abroad affords students a wonderful opportunity to independently explore Buenos Aires while supporting and guiding them in their endeavors. With the options of either staying with a host family (which I would highly recommend, particularly for the language immersion), or renting an apartment on your own, students have a lot of freedom in developing their schedule. There is also a great range of classes offered in both the Standard and Advanced levels. The Standard program includes classes taught by Argentine professors in the IES Abroad office to the group of students from American Universities that are enrolled with the program. Most of the classes are focused on Argentine history and society and embody the complete experience of being in Buenos Aires. The Advanced program offers classes in Spanish and also the ability to enroll in one of four partner universities. Spanish class is an integral part of both programs and the professors are engaging and teach practical language skills that encourage students to converse not only with their host families and friends but also with cab drivers, store clerks, and bus drivers. IES provides a comprehensive orientation that discusses the social life in Buenos Aires, an extremely vibrant city, and encourages students to safely explore the city. The program also offers many field trips to local areas and weekend trips that highlight key components of the city and the country. IES employs an extremely supportive staff and provides students with a great opportunity to live and study in Buenos Aires!

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to