IES Abroad Buenos Aires - Latin Amer. Societies and Cultures

Buenos Aires will also be your classroom. Learn about visual arts in the city and then meet with local graffiti artists before seeing their work. Study the impact of globalization in Latin America and then get an internship with one of the country’s top businesses. Welcome to study abroad!

Open to students of all language levels, the Latin American Societies & Cultures Program allows you to improve your Spanish language skills while taking courses in the Arts, Humanities, Business, and Social Sciences, all of which feature an academic emphasis on Latin America.

Check out this center for yourself by taking a Virtual Tour at www.IESabroad.org/study-abroad/virtual-tour.

Joseph

I need to go back. ASAP.

I never really thought that Study Abroad would have the impact on me that it did. In fact, I was terribly nervous on the flight down to Argentina. I was worried that, since no one from my university was going, I wouldn't make any friends, and that my lower level of Spanish would be too inadequate to survive. When I got to my homestay and met my roommate, however, I realized that I'd always have at least one good friend during the semester and that I could make it through just fine.

Very quickly, as time went on and as IES Abroad took our whole program on tours and group-bonding activities, I became comfortable and stress-free. The IES staff was ready and available for any questions and concerns that I had, and make every activity engaging. As far as what we did on these tours, words and pictures can only go so far as to describe the beauty and diversity of the city.

The IES program classes started, soon followed by the single partner-university class that I took at Universidad Católica Argentina (UCA). My proficiency in Spanish quickly advanced and I could feel myself becoming a porteño more and more by the day. Some classes took time. It was important to section off a piece of my time at the homestay to sit down and read the required material for my classes. This wasn't a big problem at all, however, because going out at night all happened after 11pm (at the earliest). It took me a few weeks, but developing a consistent schedule for homework and free time was very helpful in making sure I did all that I wanted to. Of course, I wasn't perfect about my routine every day, but getting it all done is all that matters.

IES organized both free trips for us and optional paid ones. I tried to do as many as possible and they were all phenomenal. I can not think back on my time abroad without remembering fondling and longingly the tango show, the futbol game, La Boca, Salta and Jujuy, and all of the other group activities we went on.

Trips with friends were also highlights of my time there. With the close friends I made, we made trips to Colonia, Uruguay; Santiago, Chile; and Puerto Madyrn in Patagonia.

As well, with PALS, the student organization at UCA that hosts events and trips for international students, I went to Iguazu Falls. The intense spiritual and jaw-dropping natural wonders I saw there changed my life and really did make me shed a tear.

I think what I miss the most now are the small things I had in my routine there. Nearly every day after classes I would go to the same cafe and talk with the men working, Abel and Ramon, who quickly became my friends. I would talk with the woman I gave my laundry to and chat with the man I bought fruit from as well. When you go abroad, to Argentina or to wherever you find yourself, I highly suggest you take time to talk with the people you see every day. There's a lot you can learn from the locals that take pride in their work both in the slang they can teach you and in the lessons on life they have. Abel also showed me some great porteño music.

All too often now, I find myself thinking back on the friends I made, the museums I visited, the empanadas I ate, the vibrant and exciting nightlife, and all the little interactions around the city that I may have taken for granted. I have to go back to Buenos Aires, and all of Argentina, and all of South America, because it truly is a part of who I am now, as cliché as that may be.

I honestly don't think there's anything I would change about the program itself. If I were to change anything, it would be my actions. I would have left my bedroom more often and seen all the sights I wanted to.
Elizabeth

Culture, History, and Language Galore

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires through IES gave me the best possible experience I could have asked for. I got to do everything I was expecting to be able to do, like traveling, improving my Spanish, making international friends, exploring the nature of Argentina, and more. More importantly, however, I gained a lot of knowledge and experience in ways I didn't expect. I got to deeply understand the culture and history of a country I admittedly knew very little about before going there, and I now feel intimately connected to a completely different part of the world. The community of Buenos Aires was so intertwined with all of my experiences there that I left feeling like I had truly become a knowledgeable part of it. IES gave me so many of the opportunities I took to get connected to the city, and I am so thankful that they as a program understand that studying abroad is a multifaceted experience. In classes and outside of classes, IES provided the framework I needed to have my ideal study abroad experience.

This program is pretty great as is, and I cannot think of an obvious improvement.
Gus

Unforgettable Semester

I had the absolute time of my life with IES Abroad. I miss every second of it and wish I could do it again. I became so close with the IES faculty as they treated myself and the other students like family. Buenos Aires is an incredible place that each person should experience in their life. Argentina is a true wonder to be seen. Nothing beats empanadas and steak. Most amazing country I have ever visited without doubt.

Jessica

IES Abroad: Buenos Aires - couldn't put words to it!

What are you looking for in a study abroad experience? I had no idea going through the process but I can tell you for sure what IES offered that I did not expect.

1. For one, the academics. IES classes were incredibly small and intimate, my Spanish class was only 6 people! In the past this would have freaked me out but our teacher made us beyond comfortable and we all knew each other so well that we all weren't afraid or embarrassed to try even if we failed! The other classes were equally engaging - I actually loved going to class everyday and the teachers were so conscious to not give us busy work because they knew we were there to learn about the culture! I came out of the program feeling like I learned so much and yet had time to enjoy as well!!

2. The people! I was expecting IES Abroad staff and professors to be like all professors, they are "there for you" but they also have their own lives. THIS WAS NOT THE CASE AT ALL! IES professors AND staff would give us hugs, give us emotional support, and ultimately just root for our success. They would give us treats on American holidays they knew we might miss and teach us about their holidays! They would hug us in the morning and ask about our weekends! They would help us find a doctor or a cell phone or just give us advice about what to do in the city! This staff was the most incredible group of people they could have compiled, they 100% exceeded expectations!

3. The host families! I guess these count as people too but they deserve their own category! There were only 3 people coming into our program that were not staying with a host and by the end there was only 1! The families that IES found were long standing, had been with the program for longer than they could remember, were incredibly sweet and even more knowledgable about the city we were all so excited to explore! My family gave me love, advice, a hard time (as all good families do), and just made me feel so at home coming in!

I could not recommend this program more! I really did not know what to expect coming into study abroad - I was mostly basing my ideas off of my sister's experience - but I could not have been more impressed with the organization and care that IES committed to their students! These are people and this was a time I will never forget!!

Honestly I have an open mind but IES more than exceeded expectations and was always willing to work with students to fix any problems! Finding big things to improve on would be hard!
Julia

An Unforgettable Journey

My experience in Buenos Aires was truly unforgettable. That is a cliche thing to say, I know, as it is said by virtually each and every student who studies abroad. But I truly believe that my time not only in Buenos Aires, but specifically with IES was a special one to say the least. Buenos Aires is a magical city. You have the South American culture, yet in a very European-like, metropolitan city. The Spanish is so beautiful, yet the people are even more so - in their looks and in their actions. They are kind, welcoming, encouraging, and respectful, and they make you want to experience their hometown like they have. I had this experience both with random locals I met, with my host family, and with the people who worked with IES. IES truly could not have made me feel more at home in a city so far and so different from my actual home than they did. The opportunities for community they provided, their services and encouragement they continuously offered, and the ways in which they challenged me to do my best and to make the most out of my experience was second to none, and was with out a doubt one of, if not the, greatest factor in making my time abroad so spectacular. If i could do it again, I would. A thousand times over.

Brynn

Abroad in Buenos Aires

IES Abroad was a fantastic experience. I lived in a homestay in the neighborhood of Palermo-- definitely one of the best parts of the city! Living in a big city was such a fun experience and there is always something to do. The classes can be very easy or very challenging depending on how much Spanish immersion you want in your experience. IES accepts a wide range of students with an equally wide range of Spanish speaking abilities, so you can choose to make your classes easier or harder on yourself. Their orientation week is amazing and jam packed with fun activities around the area. The staff is super accommodating and will do whatever they can to help students have a great experience abroad. I miss Buenos Aires so much and I can't wait to go back!

Alex

Living Large in Buenos Aires

Oh boy, I'm sure I have a few chart topping stories to bum you out, but my favorite unique experience is definitely a positive. I was alone for a short break and I decided to travel on the other side of the country. On a whim, on the side of a mountain (I was hiking in Jujuy) I began to film myself. For the next two days I filmed 45 seconds every few hours of me: meeting new people, taking a break in a cafe, wheezing on a mountain, or seeing something beautiful.
I was able to appreciate so many things about the trip that I didn't know I would, and I actually watched my videos the other day. Without sitting behind a lens the whole time, I was able to experience a world full of sights and it was amazing. I would encourage anyone to try this at any time in their life. You never know what you might catch on camera.

There were some problems with the host university, but those are being worked on if I'm not mistaken.
Elizabeth

A Fantastic Experience in the Paris of the Americas

I absolutely loved my time in Buenos Aires! The IES staff was extremely helpful. Let's face it, studying abroad can be challenging. Living in a foreign country and being away from family and friends can be scary. The IES staff made the transition as easy as possible. If you had a problem, they would do whatever they could to help you out. For example, when I had issues with one of the local bus companies while traveling, Florencia, one of the Student Affairs coordinators, became my advocate. She went above and beyond to help me solve the issue. As someone who isn't great at Spanish, that meant the world to me. The entire staff is like that. The field trips offered by IES were really cool! They offered different trips and activities that exposed us to different aspects of Argentine culture. We took tours of Buenos Aires, attended rugby matches and saw musical acts. I highly recommend the trip to Salta and Jujuy. It is expensive but if you can afford it, it is totally worth it. The trip exposes you to the Argentine countryside and life outside of Buenos Aires. I really enjoyed my classes as well. There were a lot of reading assignments in my courses but overall the workload wasn't unreasonable. My professors were extremely knowledgeable and were more than willing to help you. Overall, I loved my time in Buenos Aires. I of course had some bad days along the way, but the good far outweighed the bad. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who wants to experience life in the Paris of the Americas.

Matthew

Argentina: A Hidden Gem

When I studied abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I went out of my comfort zone and got the most out of the experience. I learned about the culture in Argentina and how people there are so passionate that it brought out a side of me that no other experience can. I learned so much about how Argentina operates on a daily basis. I was able to see many differences in lifestyle and norms in society that made me appreciate what I have in the U.S. and what I grew to love in Argentina. I developed so much more as a person where I could express myself in a different setting through the Spanish language and understand life in Argentina. I learned the most from my host parents who taught me how to get around the city and to travel to places in and out of Argentina that would be worth seeing.

One of my best memories I have is going to Iguazu Falls to see one of the seven natural wonders of the world. I went to the falls with a small group for a weekend trip towards the beginning of my program when it was still warm there, but not overly humid and tropical. I spent one full day in the Iguazu Falls Park with my group of friends and that was enough. We went up to the top of the falls at La Garganta del Diablo and went below the falls and explored other parts of the park on the Argentina side. The falls separate Brazil and Argentina and it was amazing to see it all. One reason why one day was enough for me was because of the coati animals that live in the park. The coatis are kind of like raccoons, except they have really sharp claws and can open backpacks and steal food. There are many signs in the park warning you that they can scratch or bite you. When we first saw them, we were so excited to see them and got as many pictures as we could. But towards the end of the day there, as we were on our last hike down a trail, we were tired of them after they swarmed us when we were having lunch. We shooed them away and wanted to get out of the park. With all that happened, from taking in the spectacular views to fighting off the coatis, it was well worth the trip especially bonding with my friends there in the park and on our 20-hour bus ride there and 20 hours back.

The only thing I would say to improve the program is the level of organization for planned events. I learned to understand that Argentines are not punctual people and they are more relaxed, so I got used to it. In a way, it was fun to have events not run on time and change my normal to their normal of running late and not being in a hurry. Although this may seem as a waste of time (and in some cases it definitely was) I learned to appreciate the culture and not hold people so closely to a strict time schedule for events that should happen when they are planned.
Margot

My new home

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires has been an experience that, at the risque of sounding cliché, changed me and made me grow as a person. Argentina is an amazing country, and since the first day there, I feel like I had found my home away from home.
My first night in Buenos Aires, my roommate and I decided to go out for a little exploring adventure. After walking around for hours and being fascinated by everything around us, we finally settled to go have dinner in a small yet charming restaurant. It turns out that this restaurant was also a Jazz club, and so our dinner was beautifully serenaded by a Jazz band, who were incredibly good. This is just one of many examples of the things you can encounter in Buenos Aires while not expecting it. While you may think you are going to a nice walk in the street, you will encounter ferias and street shows as every corner. While you think you are simply going on a run around los Bosques de Palermo, you will end up having a conversation with a stranger.
Argentina has been a way for me to open up as a person, and grow in ways that I would never have suspected I would have. Thanks to IES, all of our courses were supplemented by field trips that allowed us to engage and get discover more of the cultural aspect of Buenos Aires, but also that gave us a better overview of the country that I grew to call my home away from home.
Without a doubt, I would do it again tomorrow if it was an option!

Callan

UCA Volleyball

One of the benefits of taking a class at a local university is that you can join their sports teams. Since I play at my university, I decided to join the UCA volleyball team. We had practice 2 times a week and games every Friday night. Not only did I get Spanish practice and made some of my favorite memories but I also made some of my best friends there, and they were Argentine!

Jvasquezohara

Far exceeded my expectations

At the risk of sounding cliche, Argentina completely stole my heart. The city itself is one of the most beautiful and unique cities I have ever been to. What makes Buenos Aires, and Argentina as a whole, unique is that it maintains its European influences, while also having many traits specific to South America, especially when you leave the city and enter the countryside. The city is beautiful and teeming with liveliness, but I also enjoyed being in the countryside. I got to go paragliding and horseback riding through the Andes Mountains in Mendoza; I saw countless Orcas in the waters of Peninsula Valdes; I got to play with the penguins in Punta Tombo, home to one of the largest penguin rookeries in the world; I rode the white waters in Bariloche, Patagonia; I hiked for days in the beautiful and quaint El Chalten, Patagonia; and I climbed to the top of one of the largest glaciers in the world in El Calafate, Patagonia.

IES does a good job of striking the balance between making sure we engage in academics, while also giving us the tools and opportunities to travel and explore.

Caroline

Most Amazing 5 Months of My Life!

My experience in Argentina was five of the most exciting months of my entire life. I was able to backpack in Patagonia, hike the desert landscape of the Salta region, enjoy a quirky twist on Oktoberfest in Cordoba, and learn to tango in Buenos Aires. Argentina is a unique, and diverse country filled with a proud and resilient population. It was so hard for me to leave Argentina that I change my flight to leave a month after my original departure date. The time spent in Argentina hs altered my life forever.

I chose IES, because I wanted a program in which I would be able to improve my Spanish and fully immerse myself into the host country's culture - Buenos Aires proved the perfect vehicle for just that. Buenos Aires is an exciting and vibrant city, I loved that each barrio (neighborhood) was uniquely distinct from one another, and that simply walking a few blocks could transport you into a dissimilar subculture within the larger context of the city. IES helped ease us into the foreign culture by providing field trips to local estancias, museums, nearby towns, etc. IES helped make Buenos Aires feel like home within a few short weeks.

Although IES was a great experience, I wish that the classes were more demanding. Although I enjoyed the break from more normal workload, I feel that harder classes may have helped me learn a little bit more about the culture and history of Argentina.
Christa

A GREAT 4 MONTHS!!!

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires was a great experience. The IES staff really wants you to succeed in your classes and learn so much from experiencing the culture. Some of the classes go on field trips that really help demonstrate what the class is about. Field trips include going to estancias, rugby game, cooking class, museums, and much more.

I stayed in a home stay, and it was so enjoyable. I felt like I was really included in the family. Every night we would sit down at dinner together and talk about politics, great places to visit, and about our days. This was all in Spanish. Speaking in Spanish at school all day and then continuing when I left class made me improved my Spanish tremendously! The families tend to be really great cooks too!

There is also a choice to participate in the Spanish language partners program. You are matched with an Argentine student. You meet with them about once a week and talk in Spanish for a half hour and then English for a half hour. It is a great opportunity to meet some Argentinians and go to local places that some tourists might not know about.

There are so many great places to travel in Argentina! Every place is completely different, so you can have so many different types of experiences in your travels. I highly recommend visiting Iguazu Falls and El Calafate and El Chalten in Patagonia. Uruguay is only a couple hour ferry ride away from Buenos Aires. I suggest making Uruguay a weekend trip. It's great to visit, but more than a weekend is not necessary.

My program was in Spring 2013, and I still get really excited whenever I get to tell someone about my experience! I look forward to the day I get to go back and visit Argentina. I highly recommend studying abroad with IES Abroad Buenos Aires.

For the Spanish language program, make is easier for the partners to get together. It is a great idea however, my partner and I had a hard time finding a time and a location that was convenient for both of us.
Addison

Best way to travel, best way to study

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires with IES was one of the most enjoyable and lasting experiences I've had in college. Paradoxically, although the demand of the classes in terms of grade rewards are moderately low, I felt that my semester accounted for some of the most important and accelerated learning processes I've had in college; helping me to drastically improve my spanish, my knowledge about Argentina, and widen my perspective on both my and my country's placement in world relations and history. My classes are each amazing, the staff at the program couldn't be more lovable and available, and I have fallen in love with life in Buenos Aires and other parts of South America. I'm just itching to get back and live there again. It's rare that someone studying abroad hits the maximum level of immersion that they'd like, and it's difficult when you get to the end and have to go home without as many friends or as much fluency as you like. But it's a normal frustration and it gets better and can improve with extra effort. I'm very excited to go back and continue to build on the integration progress I made.

I would want the residence hall to somehow guarantee that you would receive a roommate who speaks spanish. It was frustrating when my two later roommates were english-speakers only.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...