CIEE January in Buenos Aires

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, CIEE has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

January in Buenos Aires

January in Buenos Aires is designed for students who want to explore, understand, and debate Argentinian identity and culture through its music, specifically, Tango. The three-week course is taught at the CIEE Global Institute – Buenos Aires, in English, and complemented with immersive co-curricular activities designed to increase intercultural understanding.

• EXPERIENCE THE CITY LIKE A LOCAL Visit museums, participate in festivals, attend rival club soccer matches, and go to film exhibits.
  • EXPLORE THE OLD PORT AREA OF LA BOCA see where this district got its influence.
  • LEARN OUTSIDE OF THE CLASSROOM excursions and experience the Argentine countryside.

Updated refund & cancellation policy for flexible, secure booking due to COVID-19

In the unusual event CIEE has to cancel your summer ’20, fall '20, January '21, or spring '21 study abroad or internship program due to a health, safety, or security concern, you’re covered with Program Assurance Advantage.

Learn more >

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Elise

I can't wait to go back!

I travelled with CIEE to Argentina as a high schooler. The experience was so great that I fully intended to return to Buenos Aires as a college student for a semester abroad. While researching into their semester programs, I came across the J-Term to study tango abroad. How could I resist?

This study abroad did nothing but encourage me to travel more. I learned so much about the culture of Buenos Aires in relation to tango and relished in the opportunity to explore the city on my own. I reconnected with old friends and made new ones too, and through all of this I learned more about the careers I hope to enter and fields I wish to study. I am literally counting down the days until full semester abroad (only 3/4 of a year to go!).

Please integrate with your peers! As the young one of the group, I felt a bit intimidated by my peers and didn't really start hanging out with them until the second week. These guys were literally SO COOL, and I should've been making pals from the start.
Chloe

January 2020: Buenos Aires

I loved visiting and learning in Buenos Aires! I loved meeting new people and I got to be able to explore the whole city within the semester. I was able to get an inside look on what tango was and the history of tango. Learning about tango has helped me learn about Argentinian culture as well as the overall history of the culture. I got to explore the culture as well as understand more Spanish! I also was able to learn about famous tango singers and song writers and understand the history of tango and how it became popular.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Traveling the public transportation gave me anxiety! I didn't know where to go and how to get to a certain location. After having people help me, I was able to learn about the public transportation system.
Read my full story
Andy

A month in Buenos Aires

I had the chance to study abroad in Buenos Aires. It was a really good experience. The staff has been super good. They're very personal, and make sure we feel comfortable at all times. I've had many chances to improve my Spanish. The field trips to places like La Boca and Plaza de Mayo have been great experiences. The Argentine people have been great to me. I really don't have to much to complain about. The best recommendation I have is to bring a friend on the study abroad with you to make sure you don't even feel alone. At 27 years old, I'm one of the older guys in my group while the rest of my group is really young, so it has been harder to make friends for me, so I wish I would have brought a friend with me. Other than that, I recommend this program.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I'd bring a friend with me. The group I have with me is really nice. But most of them are at least 7 years younger than me and just want to party. I've spent a lot more time at the house because I have no one to go out with.
Jason

More Than Just Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires is beautiful, and it's where I spent most of my time. But it's important to realize how much there is to do in the city and country as a whole. Besides there being so much to see and do on every street, flights are relatively cheap which allowed me to travel to Iguazú Falls and Patagonia, which meant I could see these once-in-a-lifetime locations and become even more immersed in Argentina. Even just staying within the city, there are so many historic buildings, beautiful sights, wonderful food, and things to do to stay constantly busy and impressed with what Buenos Aires has to offer.

What was your funniest moment?
I was at a bar with some friends and we ran into three other Americans. Believer (from Shrek) started playing and we were dancing and singing together from across the bar and having a fantastic time.