IES Abroad Buenos Aires Summer - Language & Culture

This program is designed primarily for students with a beginning or intermediate level of Spanish profi­ciency and it offers classes in English that explore contemporary Latin American society from a social science or business perspective.

The program also offers a Direct Enrollment option with the Universidad de Buenos Aires Facultad de Agronomía. These English-taught courses are not limited to the science of agronomy; some focus on economics, finance, ecology, and management, all with a focus on agronomy. This is a great way to experience the Argentinian education system first-hand—maybe you'll even make some Argentinian friends while you're at it.

Check out this center for yourself by taking a Virtual Tour at www.IESabroad.org/study-abroad/virtual-tour.

Jeena

Tango With a Stranger

Picture this: a math nerd desperately trying to learn Spanish who hates cities and is well known for spending her time watching Netflix or re-reading books she's read three times already. Now picture that same girl being asked to dance with a complete stranger in a tango club in the heart of Buenos Aires at 1:00am. Does she say yes?

Before going to Buenos Aires, I never would've even imagined it. I went abroad for the credits and the experience, although mostly I just wanted to finally be bilingual after 18 years of trying and failing to learn. I had no idea what to expect, but I knew that it would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I was absolutely right!

I spent 6 weeks in Buenos Aires, just the right amount of time to fall in love with the city without getting homesick. I had an amazing host mom who only wanted me to do two things: speak Spanish and experience the city. I couldn't let her down, so I did exactly that! I went out with the other participants, talked with people on the streets, and I even had the chance to do a small internship with CELU - a company in charge of the language exams required for studying/working in Latin America.

I could write a book about all my wonderful experiences, but suffice it to say, it all led to me becoming the type of person who was asked to dance at a milonga early on a Friday morning. My time in Buenos Aires is unforgettable, and I don't regret a thing. Why don't I regret it? Because I said yes! ;)

Kaitlyn

An Unforgettable Summer in Buenos Aires

This past summer I studied abroad for 6 weeks in Buenos Aires, Argentina through IES Abroad. From the moment I arrived in the airport until the day I left, I felt supported and encouraged from IES Abroad staff. At the airport, I received an alfajor, and this classic Argentinian snack became my after-lunch dessert everyday—for better or for worse. IES Abroad provided myself and the other people in the program with entertainment ranging from a tango show (after having an exciting tango lesson) to Fuerza Bruta (an immersive experience) to a rugby game. Through intimate dinners with my host family and classes most days, I truly started to understand and appreciate Argentinian culture. My teachers at the IES Abroad center cared about my interests and explained the daily customs of Buenos Aires. Even with planned activities spread throughout the 6 weeks, I still had time to explore Buenos Aires after class and on the weekends. We even went to Iguazu Falls early on—a site I will never forget. Whether visiting Barrio Chino, Café Tortoni, or Teatro Colón, I felt a part of Buenos Aires. Coming from Los Angeles, I knew how to live in a city, but Buenos Aires was like no other. My homestay was in Recoleta, surrounded by tall buildings and storefronts. On my walk to school each day, I marveled at the busy streets and crowded taxis. I lived off the energy around me. As for my Spanish, I realized I can live in a Spanish-speaking city, whether that involves hailing a taxi, doing my laundry, or ordering at the local café. The program supported me and the staff constantly made sure that I was enjoying my experience through discussions where we could be open about any problems we had faced. The team at IES Abroad always gave us recommendations for restaurants and weekend activities; I never had a dull moment in my 6 weeks. I cannot recommend studying abroad enough, but more so studying abroad with IES Abroad, as they care about their students and understand the difficulties that come with living in a different country.

Margot

I love BA!!

I loved studying abroad in Buenos Aires. The city is so lively, there is always something to do and something new to explore. The Argentine people are also so welcoming and friendly.

I really liked my program also but wish I had made more of an effort to immerse myself completely in Argentine culture. The IES program is pretty larch (70-80 students) and it is very easy to only hang out with other Americans and speak English.

The staff at IES was amazing though. Everyone was so nice and helpful and friendly I love them all and miss them already.

Perhaps there could have been better advising as far as classes go--especially classes taken at one of the local universities.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...