IES Abroad Sydney Summer – Society, Sport & Leadership

IES Abroad Sydney Summer – Society, Sport & Leadership

It’ll be hard to sit still while you’re studying abroad in Sydney this summer! This program makes sure you won’t have to—with engaging courses, field study opportunities, and organized cultural events, you won’t have a dull moment. Fulfill a graduation requirement or try out a new discipline—whichever you choose, you’ll learn more about Australia, and yourself, than you ever could at home.

In addition to your courses, take an optional trip to Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef. A four-day field study trip to Alice Springs and Uluru (Ayers Rock) is included in your program fee.

We want you to feel at home in Sydney, so we do everything we can to help you integrate into life in the city. Beyond the classroom, we offer a variety of cultural opportunities to help you get to know the local culture. Welcome to study abroad!

Oceania » Australia » Sydney

Jessica
Sydney
Adelphi University

"Summer" in Sydney

My summer spent down under was nothing short of perfect. The IES program was absolutely perfect for me since i was a collegiate athlete and was not allowed to miss a semester. When i got there the nerves ran high put from the second i met our advisor Kate at the airport, i knew there was nothing to worry about. She was so welcoming and happy, really made me excited to get to orientation later that day. Our RA was amazing and helped us get to know everything we needed to know about the city in just the first couple of days. The apartment, Adina Hotel, was impeccable. I couldn't have asked for a cleaner and safer place to be. We were also right near central station, making traveling and exploring an easy walk away.
IES field trips were really amazing and taught us more about the culture then we would ever have learned in a classroom. These field trips took us to all the places you think of in Sydney like Botanical Gardens, Sydney Opera House, and the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Royal National Park . But theses field trips took my class and i to places I probably wouldn't have gone on my own like the Hyde Park Barracks where we got to sit in the "dorms" and explore what it was like to be a criminal living there. The craziest IES field trip of all was the Outback. I would have never thought to camp in Uluru for 5 days alone. I was scared and bugs and mice and dingos! Looking back, this was an awesome week filled with new experiences and learning about aboriginal culture. My favorite part about this field trip were the stars.
Overall, my experience was so amazing. I made awesome friends, learned an awesome culture and also traveled on my own on the weekends, before and after, the program.

My only problem with the program were the classes got boring sometimes. Since attendance was mandatory, I think the classes should be a little more interesting and hands on.

Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb
Samantha
Pullman, Washington
Washington State University

IES Abroad - Sydney Summer

I have no idea where to begin. I was pleasantly surprised by how great the IES abroad staff were. They always responded to my emails fairly quickly and they provided me with the all the information and materials to ensure I was prepared before I got to my destination. I thought for sure I was going to have to figure out all of it on my own, but there was no such problem. I was fortunate enough to attend the six week study abroad program in Sydney, Australia. I consider it the best decision of my undergraduate career; my only regret is not staying for a whole semester if not a year! If I had time I would for sure choose another IES program and travel down under again.
Once I arrived in Sydney I received the best welcome from the IES staff and enjoyed every second of my orientation. I was lucky enough to have arrived during the start of the VIVID festival and for our Arrival Dinner we ate on a cruise in the middle of the Sydney Harbour looking at all the VIVID lights. Throughout the rest of my six weeks my group went on several excursions which included a couple of national parks and a four day field trip to Central Australia where we explored the Outback. Our trip to the Outback is one of my favorite memories from my trip. No words can describe what it was like to sleep under the crystal clear stars in our swags.
As for academics, I took two different classes: Leadership Across Cultures and Australian History/Politics. I definitely enjoyed the history class. I've never taken a class where I could literally walk around the city and know exactly the backstory behind a particular building or area. We even went on field trips during our class where we could see first hand the contents that we were learning about.
I think about my study abroad experience every day and it has given me a whole new perspective on my life and the world. I wish everyone could get the opportunity to travel, make lasting memories, and form lifetime friendships just like I did because I know it will be one of their best decisions of their life.

Marie
Waimea, Hawaii
University of Portland

IES Sydney Summer

IES provided me with the experience of a lifetime! My university did not offer an abroad program in Australia that worked with my major and required classes. However, IES gave me tons of options and most importantly for me, Sydney was one of them. The application process was a decent amount of work, but the IES coordinators were a huge help for me when it came to getting all the paperwork done. For this particular program I lived with eight other college students from around the States. We came in as strangers and left as friends. I formed some of my best relationships while abroad, and was so thankful to be sharing the learning, social and foreign experience with likeminded, adventurous individuals! We lived in the outskirts of the city in a townhouse/apartment duplex which was only a block away from a main street that had a store, doctors office, pharmacy and tons of restaurants. My favorite part of studying in Sydney was by far how often we got to travel. Almost every weekend we were on a plane going to somewhere new! The best trip was when we went to Ayers Rock which is actually a required part of the program. we spent two nights sleeping under the stars in the outback of Australia. Our tour guide Rhett cooked us up diner over a campfire and sang us to sleep with his guitar. The whole trip was absolutely amazing! We learned about the aboriginal culture from our tour guides and got to hike through Kings Canyon! We even got to ride camels which is an experience i will never forget. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to expand their horizons and get a taste of how much our world has to offer us.

The summer program only has two required courses: IR/IB 393 Leading Across Cultures: Principles and Practice and CU/HS 255 - Australian Politics, Society, and Identity: 1788 - Present. The Professors for both courses were great! They made being in class fun and also helped us better understand cultural differences and apply these experiences in and out of the classroom. However the grading system between Australia and the States is very different. I believe it would be beneficial to have the students and professors do some sort of survey together to get a feel for what each are expecting from the other when it comes to assignments, work load and overall grades.

Alex
Ithaca, NY
Ithaca College

Highly recommend!

Spending Fall of 2015 in Sydney, Australia through IES was the best choice I could possibly make. It was an incredible semester and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new, wonderful experience. The IES program Director, Matt, is one of the kindest people I have ever met and I from what I saw going through IES was the best option with great trips and resources throughout the semester. Sydney itself was just amazing! I instantly fell in love with the place and the people. I had an internship abroad at The Taronga Zoo, that had a deep impact on the way that I am currently, as a graduating senior, looking at my future.

Shannon
New Brunswick, NJ
Rutgers University

Home Away From Home

My time abroad in Sydney was everything I hoped for and more. The program staff was with me every step of the way and made everything so simple. The Program Director made the transition to being abroad effortless and continued to go out of his way throughout the program to ensure we were all happy and healthy. I made wonderful, lifelong friends and I had an amazing time living with all of them. The classes were just right - very manageable workload with personable professors. The material was interesting and presented in engaging and fun ways. Living in the city, we were able to take advantage of everything that occurred in the area. Getting to know local parks, restaurants, and bars made us feel at home and I never thought I could miss a city so much. Going abroad was the best decision I ever made for myself - if you are considering studying abroad, go with IES. They will make everything simple so you can focus on enjoying your experience. Overall, the program was top-quality and the memories I have made will last a lifetime.

I do not have a single complaint about the program except that I wish it had lasted longer. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Sarah
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Rutgers University

Australia's Great Ocean Road

Australia is host to many exciting opportunities and places. One of my absolute favorite trips while abroad was the Great Ocean Road, south of Melbourne. My friends from my program and I went on a bus with other strangers who wanted to do that trip as well and drove all day, making stops to see things along the road. We started the day early and had to drive from the city down to the ocean and we made our first stop at a wildlife area where Koalas were in the trees and climbing around, and there were tons of birds that you could feed and they would flock all over you (not as scary as it sounds). We then went to Cape Otway lighthouse for lunch and you could go to the way top of the lighthouse which was really high over the ocean and had an amazing view. Next, and most importantly, we went and saw the Twelve Apostles. I had never heard of the Twelve Apostles until my friends had asked me to go on this trip down to Melbourne with them, and as soon as I saw the pictures of them, I was in. Seeing the Twelve Apostles was surreal, as they're these huge rocks rising up out of the ground (the beach), and seeing them so tall and right next to the ocean, it was like out of a magazine or just something that I thought I'd never see in my life. After the Twelve Apostles, we went to the Loch Ard Gorge which was also gorgeous and amazing, as it was a little inlet from the ocean, but the rockwalls were so high and basically encompassed the entire beach except a small area where water could get in, making the waves pretty big.
Along with seeing feeding birds, seeing wild koalas run and climb, seeing the Twelve Apostles and amazing sites, the view down the Great Ocean Road made all the hours of driving completely worth it. A straight view over the ocean for most of the ride, and maybe an hour or so of rainforest.
This was by far one of my favorite trips and I would highly recommend for anyone to do it and experience this.

If I had to change one thing about this program, I would want more clarification from professors on what was expected, as there were different expectations and then they weren't really clarified until the end. This resulted in me not performing as well as I wanted to while abroad, even though I'm a great student at my home university.

Karen
Gainesville, Florida

Fantastic Summer Experience -- You Won't Regret It

I knew I would enjoy spending six weeks in Australia before I even got on the plane, but nothing could have prepared me for how awesome the experience actually was. Every weekday for six weeks, I spent the morning attending class in Sydney's CBD and then I was free to explore for the rest of the afternoon and evening. It is virtually impossible to run out of things to do in Sydney -- no matter what you like to do in your free time back home, there's probably an even cooler way to enjoy it in Sydney. The lecturers were interesting and the classes required just enough work to make you actually learn about Australia, but not so much work that you have to spend the whole trip doing homework in order to pass. The program included day trips to the Blue Mountains and Royal National Park, both of which were fantastic, and a 5-day excursion to the Red Centre, where we got to see Uluru, Kata Tjuta, and Kings Canyon, which was definitely a highlight of the experience. The staff in Sydney are extremely friendly and provided plenty of helpful advice about navigating the public transport system, buying food, and almost anything else you could think to ask about. As cheesy as it sounds, the IES Sydney Summer program really is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that will completely change your life.

I would add a field trip to Canberra, the capital of Australia... but the good news is, the staff are actually considering adding a Canberra excursion in the future.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to