CISabroad - Summer in Sydney

Considered to be one of the world's most livable cities, Sydney has a bit of everything to captivate you during your summer abroad. Whether it's exploring downtown, getting in-touch with nature at one of the several National Parks, or lounging at Bondi Beach, you're sure to find the reason why four-million people call Sydney home. While enrolled at The University of Sydney not only will you be able to choose from over 2,500 course offerings but you'll quickly becoming involved in the University of Sydney's community through 200 campus clubs and societies.

Christina

Intern in Sydney

I am currently completing a Biomedical Engineering Internship though CISabroad. They did a great job connecting me with Australian Internships and helping me to find the perfect placement that is giving me an experience I would not have been able to have at home. The CIS on site staff member, Maria, has been incredible, from the airport pick up, showing us around the city, emailing us to keep in touch, and keeping excursions organized. I couldn't have hoped for anything more from her support.

My only complaint about this program is that the housing is not at all a comparative value with what the price was. Otherwise, I am incredibly happy with my experience so far. It has given been wonderful friends, and so many experiences and memories to hold on to for a lifetime.

The only thing that I would change about the program is the housing / accommodation. Don't get me wrong - it's a great location with super easy access to transportation and the city but it does not really meet the needs of interns - it would be better suited for students studying abroad because it is a 5 minute walk to the University of Sydney. As an intern, I work from 9 am to 5 pm which is normal - except it takes me 1 hour and 30 minutes to get to work, and sometimes 2 hours to get home (this is a lot of time but also A LOT of money). In Sydney it is winter which means that the sun starts to get around 4:45, before I even get out of work. The accommodation is also in a horribly lit area (it is so dark when I get home) that I find myself spending even more money on buses because I do not feel safe walking home in the dark. I really wish CIS could have found housing just a little bit closer to my job.
My other complaint about the accommodation is that is it above a bar so at night it tends to get a little loud. This is not ideal do to the fact that I try to get to bed early since I have to wake up at 6 am if I want to have a sufficient breakfast and be well prepared for the busy day ahead of me. I often find it difficult to fall asleep because we can hear everything that happens in the bar - even when the windows are closed.

Housing is a big part of the what makes up an experience abroad and I believe that my experience would be even better if the housing conditions were different.
Response from CISabroad

Thanks so much for providing such valuable feedback, Christina! We're glad to hear you're having such a rewarding experience, despite an inconvenient housing arrangement. Ideally, we would love to be able to offer housing close to each of our participants' internship host organizations; however, the timelines for sourcing a suitable internship placement and for securing housing don't oftentimes allow us to align those two factors. It's great to hear you appreciate so much else about your program!

Alexandra

CISAbroad - Intern in Sydney

I had an amazing time interning in Sydney, Australia. If it wasn’t for CISAbroad I wouldn’t have been able to fly halfway across the world and meet my amazing friends that I encountered in Australia. I have amazing memories and travel experiences that branched from my internship. The food was great, the tours were great, the living conditions were better than expected and traveling was something easily accessible and very economic. Sydney is amazing and I highly recommend this program to others. 10/10 I would recommend because I wouldn’t change these memories for anything! I will be coming back to Sydney!

I believe if CISAbroad hadn’t used Australian Internships it would’ve run more smoothly.

About CISabroad

CISabroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CISabroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad experience...