CIEE Summer Tropical Marine Ecology in Perth, Australia

CIEE Study Abroad (Perth, Austrailia)

Climate change, energy, water scarcity, mining, coastal management, and the need for conservation are just a few of the issues facing Australia today.

Through extensive coursework, field work, excursions, and activities, Tropical Marine Ecology in Perth will challenge you to explore marine biological processes with a focus on tropical reef ecosystems in Australia’s inimitable coastal environments.

Study abroad in Perth and you will:

- Explore the country’s fantastically unique marine ecosystems through extensive hands-on fieldwork at Ningaloo Reef, one of the top five diving destinations in the world

- Live and study in close proximity to the Australian coast which features a diverse tropical reef ecosystem

- Meet with local organizations focused on many areas of conservation and the environment

- Learn from highly respected professors, researchers, and experts in the field

- Gain a PADI SCUBA diving accreditation as a part of the program

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Gennie

Amazing Experience

I would highly recommend this program to anyone even if you're not a biology major. I am a health and wellness major and I still got a lot out of it and while it was challenging it wasn't over my head. I loved how small this program was because it meant I got to know everyone really well and got really individualized attention from the professors. It is in a great location- the apartments are close to Murdoch university and it is very easy to get to Fremantle or into Perth and there is so much to do! My favorite part was going up to Exmouth because we were staying in pretty cool accommodation and the marine life at Ningaloo reef is amazing. We got to swim with so many different sea creatures from turtles to Whale Sharks. The academics can get a bit intense especially during the last week of the program but it was manageable. The only thing I didn't love was that the second course was a bit repetitive of things we had already learned. Overall, I think this is an absolutely amazing program and it was one of the best experiences of my life and I did not want to leave.

The one thing I would improve would be to combine the two courses (one was marine ecology and the other was marine research methods) so that they were taught at the same time. I think this would have helped to spread out the assignments and prevent overlap and repetition of material.
Shannon

Experience of a lifetime!

Being in Australia and getting hands on experience with its wonders and especially the wildlife (terrestrial and marine alike) has been everything I had hoped for and more! The opportunities here are immense. Now I can say that I am 1 in 3 million people who have ever had the chance to swim next to a whale shark. I got to feed and play with kangaroos, pet a baby koala, watch a giant manta ray doing barrel rolls right before my eyes, take selfies with Quokas, experience the vivid night life that is similar yet very different than in the US. Experiencing a different culture by diving right into it has been amazing in every way! I have formed relationships with beautiful people and have come out with far more knowledge and awareness of the importance of our marine ecosystems. I would absolutely recommend to everyone to go to Australia and especially to Ningaloo marine park. I have never seen such beautiful and pristine beaches before and the coral ecosystems are phenomenal. There is an entire world under the sea that most people sadly are unable to visit or see. Going to Ningaloo has reawakened my passion for conservation biology and I want to do everything I can to help preserve the precious coral reef and marine ecosystems we have left. Everything about this trip has been spectacular in every way. I only wish I would have known how nice Australians (especially women) dress. So my advice to future CIEE students is if you are planning to go out into town at all or to go out at nice, bring your best clothes because they dress VERY nice here.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I could do this all over again I would do it in a heart beat but the thing I would change and that I regret is to go on every single whale shark drop during the tour regardless of how sea sick I am and how choppy the waves are.
Ellyse

CIEE Perth Summer Marine Tropical Ecology 2018

The Summer Marine Tropical Ecology course that CIEE offers is amazing. The excursions are extremely fun and very informative. They go very well with the lectures and course information. The grading is much different in Australia, so Americans will have to prepare for that and really work with their instructors to understand exactly what they want. However, overall it was a fantastic experience and I have grown significantly as a student, traveler, and person.

Kyle

Fun in the Sun in the Land Down Under

Wow, 5 weeks went by fast. Super fun course, packed with fun excursions, trips, beautiful beaches, and fantastic teachers. Support staff is amazing, you go to secluded beaches to do super fun research, snorkel in one of the most pristine coral reefs in the world, and I even swam with a Tiger Shark! On my last field research day, our class watched the sunset while a couple of dolphins swam by. Overall amazing course - and both Fremantle and Perth (The cities you will have access too) are lively. Good public transport, decent food (Highly recommend food-trucks on campus), and just a fun time.

If you've ever wanted to visit Australia, do it right, and do it with CIEE.

About CIEE

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and...