IES Abroad Vienna – Music

Spring day at the Schoenbrunn Palace
Spring day at the Schoenbrunn Palace
Wiener Staatsoper
Wiener Staatsoper
Study abroad in Vienna with IES Abroad!
Study abroad in Vienna with IES Abroad!
Ball at he Homburg Palace!

Vienna will be your classroom. Imagine visiting one of the city’s world-famous concert halls to attend the rehearsal of a major ensemble, or visiting the homes of important figures in musical history such as Mozart and Beethoven. Welcome to study abroad! Wherever possible, our courses take advantage of the city’s historical, artistic, and cultural sites and include hands-on, practical components.

Organized in conjunction with the Vienna European Society & Culture Program, the IES Abroad Vienna Music Program is ideal for students majoring or minoring in Music, and offers you the opportunity to participate in a wide selection of courses focusing on Music and European Culture and Society.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Terrence

Squeeze the juice!

I should probably begin by explaining the title of this review so you're not left wondering, "What the heck does he mean by 'Squeeze the Juice'?" During the orientation for my program, one of the program directors gave a presentation on getting the most out of your time abroad. He called this "Squeezing the Juice." Ridiculous as the phrase might have been, the phrase really caught on. It's hard to put such a life changing experience as studying abroad into words, and a reasonable amount of words at that, but here's a couple ways in which my program helped me squeeze the juice while I was abroad.

To begin with, my program had incredible faculty connections. I went to study music there, and was able to take private lessons from the retired 3rd horn of the Vienna Philharmonic, take composition classes from one of Austria's leading modern composers, and learn about acoustics from a leading sound engineer (who also happened to be a fantastic composer himself and jazz pianist). I had no idea I would be studying with such renowned faculty with my program, and got so much knowledge passed down from them.

Living wise, my program also made incredible accommodation as the apartment complex I lived in included a state of the art practice facility in the apartment! Only a few apartments in the complex were occupied by the program, and the rest were occupied by local tenants, so to have a private space to practice (horn) without disturbing the neighbors was unbelievable. Furthermore, within my apartment, I became very good friends with my apartment mates, and I am very happy my program provided us with this living opportunity.

Furthermore, the program provided us with excellently planned trips, including trips through class in Vienna and separate excursions with the program outside of Vienna. The excursions allowed for great opportunities to explore Austria without the hassle of having to organize your own trip. The program planned housing, transportation, activities, and several meals in these excursions. For example, one excursion I was able to visit the city of Graz during Austria's free museum night where I was able to visit several museums; my favorite being a key and lock museum I spent several hours in looking at locks and also trying to solve puzzle locks (emphasis on "trying"). Class trips allowed for hands on learning experiences and were funded by the program. I even got to go to my first Viennese ball thanks to my program, that was a blast!

The staff in the program were also extremely helpful. The 3 receptionists were very friendly and very accessible for help. I am also a soccer player, and with a few of the staff, I was able to join their local soccer team. I also had to go to the hospital at one point to get an MRI for a problem I was having with my elbow and a staff member kindly accompanied me to help me navigate the hospital. It was nice to have someone to talk to while waiting and someone who spoke fluent German with me. Also, as a side note, I was able to afford this MRI because my program had great insurance that covered any medical costs after the first 100 euros, so my insurance covered the entire MRI.

Finally, Vienna is an incredible place to study abroad. The public transportation is on point, with a fantastic Subway, bus, tram, and train system (that the program provides you with student discount cards for). Music is very affordable thanks to standing room ticket opportunities, and the music is obviously incredible. A few highlights for me were being able to see a new opera premier, see the Vienna Phil, see a Hans Zimmer concert (AND HANS ZIMMER WAS THERE), and seeing the Czech Philharmonic. I was also abroad in Fall and got to experience the adorable Viennese Christmas market. These pleasant markets were a fun place to be social but keep toasty out in the cold. I enjoyed these with my friends from the program and my language buddy (my program had a great language buddy program to help us be immersed in the culture, improve our German, and make friends). As a Californian it was fun to experience real winter there!

It is hard to put into words the amazing experience I had in Vienna between the Musical experience and the friends I made there, but none of those experience would have been possible without the help of my program in helping me squeeze the juice and teaching me how to.

Anna

"Oh the Places You'll Go!"

Most everyone that comes back from a semester abroad says that they have found their new "home" or their "favorite place," and at first I thought it was drab and clique, but lets face it, they're right. Studying abroad in Vienna, Austria truly fostered a love, appreciation, respect and longing for the culture, the people, the food, the language, and everything in between, but mostly the food. Sometimes I even dream about the Wurst and Käsespätzle. Through IES Abroad, I found life long friendships and professional relationships with my peers, IES Abroad Staff and Faculty, and also Viennese locals. Exploring the city, traveling around Europe and assimilating to a new culture with my new travel buddies not only strengthened our bonds, but also allowed me to gain some personal perspective and introspection. The IES Abroad faculty and staff were a huge foundation of comfort for me. I, personally, went abroad with a lot of emotional baggage still looming over my head. I thought leaving the states would help that burden, but in some ways the distance just made it more insulting and daunting. After reaching out to the IES Abroad staff that weight was lifted off of my shoulders and they did everything they could possibly think of to help me in my personal situation. They made my problems their problems in order to insure that I had the chance to have the abroad experience I had hoped and dreamed about. No issue was too small or too large for them to take action and, to the best of their abilities, resolve. I can definitely say that I came home more confident, more loved, more appreciated, and more cultured; all thanks to IES Abroad, my peers, my experiences, and my new home, Vienna. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing, and if that's not a testament to an amazing program, I don't know what is. They say "home is where the heart is," and as clique as it may be, Vienna stole mine. See you soon, Wien.

The orientation week to start off the program spring semester 2018 was very informative and productive, but lets face it, I do not remember much of it thanks to jet lag and shear excitement. Rearranging the schedules so that there is less pushing of information right after a 24 hour travel day might be beneficial. That's about it!
Naomi

Wien ist ein Traum / Vienna Is a Dream

In addition to offering unique classes, providing comfortable and affordable housing, and enabling access to health and safety resources, IES goes above and beyond to ensure student success. Faculty promote events in your location and take students on field trips. They are excited to help and are mostly available. Programs like language buddies encourage immersive culture and fostering connections with people in student's respective locations.

As an independent student, I didn't rely on IES for help, but knew if I couldn't answer a question myself they were there to help.

Increased efforts to recruit a racially, religiously, socio-economically diverse class of students.
Sabrina

Everything I wanted

I got to study with a master violinist, perform a lot, see major ensembles like the Vienna Phil and Vienna State Opera for free or for very cheap, take classes that I could use for my major, and meet a lot of locals, one of them being a lifelong friend that I'll never forget. I also learned so much more German in just one semester than I thought I would, seeing as I didn't know any when I got to Vienna. I lived in an apartment that was about 20 minutes away from the city center, which I thought was really nice--close enough and far away from all the tourists. I also took advantage of a lot of the IES Abroad opportunities like Student Council and Student Forum, which I found rewarding. There really is nothing more that I would have wanted.

Allison

An Amazing Adventure in Austria

I could sing my praises for the IES Abroad Vienna Music program for days (literally, because I am a vocal music major). This program went above and beyond to create a top-notch study abroad experience. The IES Abroad faculty at the Vienna center were helpful, supportive, and all-around excellent. The staff truly took care of us and always went the extra mile to personally see that each student had a fun and successful semester. As a music student, it was so amazing to be able to take music courses in Vienna that would actually transfer to my home university and that gave me the opportunity to perform there, as well. Our classes met in an old Palais in the heart of the city and we had access to a beautiful recital hall and plenty of practice rooms. The course selection in Vienna is wide, so I got the chance to take some courses outside of my field of study, too, which definitely enhanced my learning experience. IES Abroad also provided amazing field trips and social programs throughout the semester that exposed us to more of Vienna and Austria and helped make the city feel like a home-away-from-home. I can't wait to return for reunions and more time in the city of music.

The only suggestion I really have for this program is to improve the living accommodations, if possible. My apartment had 6 girls sharing one bathroom and no true common living space. It was functional, but other students had better arrangements, which seemed unfair when we all paid the same cost for program fees.
Emily

Vienna, Great for Musicians

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the music semester program at IES Abroad Vienna. The IES center itself, a clean, well-maintained (as old as it is), historic, beautiful palace has a central, accessible location that is relatively close to two metro stations. The classes are manageable, allowing study abroad students ample time to explore the city and immerse themselves in all Vienna has to offer, from its many world-class concerts to rich history to unique culture. I loved the easy access to many extremely affordable concerts: 4 euro standing room tickets at the Vienna State Opera, 6 euro tickets to Musikverein concerts… Attending so many high quality concerts exposed me to excellent music-making, a wide range of repertoire, and really helped me grow as a musician.
The faculty are knowledgeable and well-connected in Vienna, giving students access to a wealth of cultural insight. The applied music faculty consists of professors and professional musicians from Viennese conservatories and music schools, and this opportunity to work with local, professional musicians was very, very rewarding—I loved my teachers and learned a lot. IES Abroad Vienna is a bit lenient on attendance, but not so much that it interfered with the quality of classes. The IES staff are very helpful, friendly, and quite organized. IES also offers excellent well-planned, optional excursions for additional fees.
I lived in the Margaretenstraβe apartments, which were very nice and comfortable to live in and made traveling anywhere in the city, and on the continent, very easy, with easy connection to the train station and airport. There are also very nice practice rooms next door to the Margaretenstraβe apartments, making practicing a breeze. In all, I had a wonderful time at IES Abroad Vienna and would highly recommend it to aspiring musicians.

Clearer orientation schedule
Sabrina

Already want to be back!

I loved Vienna! It is one of the most beautiful cities I’ve been in. Vienna offers you everything a big city has with a small-town vibe. There was something happening almost every night whether it be an opera, a jazz bar showcase, or a ball. The music program was amazing. All the music staff I interacted with were performing in Vienna. It was great to get their first-hand experience and connections to concerts. A professor connected me with a local choir that I got to sing and perform with during my semester in Vienna. I love Vienna, I already want to go back. Whenever someone tells me they are studying abroad I tell them they have to go to Vienna, at least visit it. The culture surrounds you everywhere and the people are so nice. I did a teaching internship when I was there and it was great to get out into the city and meet even more people. IES Vienna is just a great place, with amazing faculty and staff, and I’m so happy I went. I made a lot of new friends and just loved my time there, I can’t wait to go back!

Michelle

Best Experience Ever

I had an absolutely unforgettable experience with IES Vienna. It was the best decision I made in my college career and I can't wait to return to Europe. I was not only immersed in the culture through my living and educational experiences, but also through internships with local students and by hanging out in the coffee shops. I will never forget my experiences and the people I met while I was in Vienna.

Gabrielle

You never know what you are going to see around the corner (or even down the street)

As a vocal performance major I expected Vienna to just be classical and very strict in their ways of living. What I came to find was the Viennese culture is very welcoming to new ideas and ways of living. The transportation was the best you could find around the world. It was fairly cheap and efficient. When it came to shopping I was able to buy groceries for a week around 30$. IES Abroad helped me find places that were within my budget and also direct me to the vegetarian/vegan friendly restaurants. Since Vienna is welcoming to new cultures I was able to find any type of cuisine. One day I would have Thai food and the next day go to my favorite Australian restaurant. The faculty was very welcoming to all of the students especially the year students. As a year student you get a very different type of experience studying abroad. It has its trials and tribulations but with the faculty they were able to help us adapt and live the year to the fullest. One of my favorite things I like to mention about studying abroad is my second semester housing I was able to choose which apartment I got to move into and somehow I ended up living on the same street as the president of Austria!

There needs to be more immersion of the Austrian and American students. Sometimes the program was stuck in their own American bubble. You had to have the drive to go out and meet new people.
Natasha

I wish I could do it all over again

Studying abroad in Vienna through IES was an incredible experience. Although you need not have any prior exposure to German, I found that having some German experience helped me make the most out of my time there. Vienna is such a wonderful city to explore on your own too - there are so many cute cafes, bars, open markets, and parks. I really loved that I was able to live with a residential assistant, a fellow Austrian who I became close friends with and who showed me what local life was like. The IES staff in Vienna were also fantastic. They wanted us to have a great time, and were helpful with all roadblocks we might have encountered throughout the way. They weren't overbearing, at the same time, and encouraged our independence. I also really liked the people who were part of the program. I made many friends who I just clicked with immediately, since there aren't many music/arts kids from my home school. I'm still in touch with those friends now! Featured photo: the culturally acceptable daily cake and coffee!

Yongwhi

Living in Vienna

Vienna was voted "the best city to live" for years. This actually gives a lot of insight into the city. Not only is Vienna a great city to visit for the beautiful architecture, palaces, and old-school entertainment, it is a place where I have learned to adjust to enjoy everyday life.
Through IES, I have made great connections through the staff and the opportunity to live in Vienna. IES provides programs to meet native Austrians, learn how to cook native food, and many more to truly experience the culture.
The classes are challenging, but not overwhelming. The professors want the students to learn, but they know that study is abroad for the experience of culture, so they are very understanding.
I was very impressed with the program and I would definitely recommend it.

Matthew

Studying Music Where Its History Was Made

As a Clarinet Performance major, studying music in Vienna was a no-brainer. With such a rich history of the arts, specifically classical music, Vienna is a great place for musicians to come and hone their craft. Not only was the atmosphere of Austria great, but the IES Vienna Program also excelled at making my study abroad experience a rewarding and comfortable one.
The living situation, in my case the music apartment building, was very comfortable and close to the center of the city, which made it easy to get to the IES center in the first district. Each apartment has three bedrooms, a kitchen, a dining area, and a split bathroom, with a shared laundry room on the ground floor. The apartments have their own set of practice rooms, which makes practicing very convenient for musicians. If they are full, there are also additional practice rooms at the center.
The staff was all very helpful, with the teachers holding courses that were full of valuable information that were taught very well. Private teachers a chosen on a student-by-student basis, in order to ensure the best fit for the skill level and musical interests of each students. Price is also a priority for these teachers; most of the time your won't be paying over 70 euro a lesson. 100 euros is usually the top end of the pricing. I never heard any complaints about private teachers that didn't fit, but if your teacher isn't the right fit for you, students are always able to switch teachers mid-semester.
The music workshop and coachings promote a very motivating and uplifting atmosphere that pushes students to hone their craft in a collaborative and professional matter. With what usually turns out to be a strange instrumentation in the performance workshop, you get to perform pieces that you don't normally get to perform. That was probably my favorite part of the IES music program; getting to perform really interesting music with extremely talented students. I got to perform everything from Romantic music to vocalises to a trio for baritone, clarinet, and piano, and I loved every second of it. With so many talented students, I was always encouraged to perfect my music for not only myself but for the sake of collaboration.
There also just tons of things to do in the city! One of my favorites was going to the TU ball, dressed in formal attire in the famous Hofburg Palace. It was an incredible experience, and I loved seeing the dance culture of Vienna at play. There are always cheap musical performances to see, new coffee shops to visit, and new churches to visit!
With plenty of opportunities for travel, an excellent staff, and a motivational music workshop, I cannot recommend the IES Vienna music program enough. It helped me appreciate the music of Vienna, and really fall in love with all music more. This program is one for people who are passionate about being great musicians and immersing themselves in an historic and wonderfully artistic culture.

Noelle

A Perfect Semester

IES Vienna is full of dedicated staff and faculty, and I believe that they are at the core of what makes every IES Vienna experience so special. Not only are they there to challenge and teach you in an immersive and exhilarating environment, they care about your well being and enjoyment of the city they call home. Everyone at the IES Vienna center was full of suggestions, tips, and advice about living in Vienna, and often checked in with us to ask how our adventures were going. They were always excited to hear about what we did every weekend, and listened compassionately something went amiss. While I had many wonderful experiences, I must say that if you are trying to find a program, looking for a supportive and welcoming staff should be your top priority, because everyone will craft their own unique study abroad experience, and that is made 100 times easier with a support system like you will find at IES Vienna.

Dillon

Living in the City of Music

As someone studying music, there is no place more prominent in the history of music than Vienna, Austria. As a student, I had the opportunity to listen to the music of Mozart, Beethoven, and Strauss in the city where it was composed. I also reached out and studied with members of the Vienna Philharmonic and performed in local orchestras. The opportunities are endless and there are tons of things that would spark anyone's interest in this magnificent city- hiking, art museums, fine cuisine, architecture, and of course, fine music which makes for the most wonderful culture that I have ever experienced. It is an extremely safe city and the IES center is located in the heart of the historic first district. Learning German and finding out how to get around are not only a part of the program, but these are skills that you will pick up regardless. The faculty is wonderful and you literally get to study in a palace. If anyone asked, I would tell them without a doubt to DO IT! Get on the plane and have the greatest adventure of your life. You will grow more than you could ever dream to!

The only way that I would improve this program would be to have German classes become involved even more with this great German-speaking city to enrich our education.
Edda

A study abroad experience you will not regret!

IES Vienna was a life changing experience. Not only did I get discover Vienna and it’s surrounding countries, but I also got to learn a lot about myself. I acquired a broader perspective of life, discover new passions, and found a new place to call home. I returned back from Vienna a more confident, secure, and well rounded person than when I left, and I only have study abroad to thank for that.

I think that there could be more ways for us, the students studying gibbered, to mix with the local students at the universities. I think that there could be more actives and trips for us to go together. I also think that the classrooms in the palais could be upgraded a bit.

Alumni Interviews

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...