IES Abroad Vienna Summer - Music History & Performance

IES Abroad Vienna Summer - Music History & Performance

Vienna has been home to many of history's greatest composers, from Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven to Brahms, Mahler, and Schoenberg. To this day, the world-renowned Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, the Musikverein, and the Staatsoper continue to help make Vienna a true "city of music."

Study Music History and Performance in Vienna, a city recognized around the world for its influence on the development of classical music.

Interested in seeing our Center through a Virtual Tour? Check out https://www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad/virtual-tours to learn more!

Europe » Austria » Vienna

Abigail
Bryn Mawr, PA
Bryn Mawr College

The Unexpected Love: My Summer in Vienna

This summer I had the privilege to study Music Performance in Vienna Austria through IES Abroad. Originally I was not excited to study abroad, but my experience in Austria changed my entire opinion of study abroad curriculum and opportunity.
The IES Music Performance program in Vienna is an exquisite program filled with teachers who have a wealth of knowledge on the performance subject. While their criticism was sometimes harsh, it was the commentary I desperately needed to expedite my development as a musician. My voice teacher, my pianist, and my professors, taught me valuable technique and skill that are truly enhanced my abilities. The teachers broke down my way of approaching new music, German text, and performance giving me new tools, to learn music a lot easier. I am extremely thankful for the advice that was given to me and grateful to have worked with these knowledgeable musicians.
I also hoped to enhance my abilities as a German speaker, and singer while in Vienna. Throughout my vocal studies at home, I struggled singing and pronouncing German music, so I made sure to take German while I was in Austria. Not only was the class extremely helpful with my knowledge of the language, but also being in a city such as Vienna made me practice my German. It forced me to become phonetically familiar with German pronunciation, and more profound in my use of German grammar. I came back with a lot more confidence in my German abilities.
What I learned from this program was to appreciate studying a craft in its birthplace, and the knowledge that a city can provide a student. Studying abroad is a unique experience that allows a student to approach a subject from a new perspective. Being in Vienna gave me the perspective I needed to understand my Vocal craft, and technique. Learning in this new city with new teachers also gave me the perspective I needed to improve in different areas of my vocal abilities. I would definitely recommend the IES program to any musician who is looking to find a new approach to Music Performance, and broaden their level of music understanding. But I would also recommend this program to anyone who is looking to experience life and culture in a European city. While some of the main attractions are in the center of the city, all of Vienna has a lot of central European culture, and beauty to experience. It is a city and a study abroad opportunity that should not be overlooked.

I would have loved for the administration's organization to have been better. While the program itself had some great teachers, some of the organization was not always as good as the knowledge offered by the teachers in the program. Other than that, I loved the program!

Kacie
Nashville, Tennessee
Vanderbilt University

Awesome Experience With Summer Music History and Performance

My experience with the IES Summer Music History and Performance Program was rewarding, life-changing, and fun! In just six weeks, I grew tremendously as a performer and a student. The instructors were wonderful, and with plenty of performing experience, they were able to give us great advice on how to perfect our skills. I also enjoyed taking voice lessons with a woman who had a long career in opera. I was amazed at how much I improved in such a short time. In addition, the city of Vienna is absolutely beautiful, filled with parks, historical buildings, and vineyards on the outskirts of the city. I loved being able to spend afternoons in a cafe or park and evenings at the opera. One of the most memorable moments of the experience was getting to see Verdi’s Rigoletto from the sixth row at the Vienna State Opera. Seeing such a powerful musical performance at one of the premiere music venues in the world was surreal, and just one of many once-in-a-lifetime experiences I had during my time in the City of Music. I would recommend this program to anyone who loves music and wants to see a beautiful area of Europe. It is certainly an unforgettable experience!

The only thing that I would change is adding more practice rooms to the IES site itself. The practice rooms at the apartments were fabulous, but there weren't as many rooms near class.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to