IES Abroad Vienna: Music History & Performance

Vienna has been home to many of history's greatest composers, from Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven to Brahms, Mahler, and Schoenberg. To this day, the world-renowned Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, the Musikverein, and the Staatsoper continue to help make Vienna a true "city of music."

Study Music History and Performance in Vienna, a city recognized around the world for its influence on the development of classical music.

Interested in seeing our Center through a Virtual Tour? Check out https://www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad/virtual-tours to learn more!

Alyssa

This trip changed my life.

My trip to Vienna, Austria was nothing short of life-changing. Out of all of the countless insights I have gained, I will say the most important things I have learned through my time abroad would be trusting and believing in myself, and realizing the possibilities for my future are limitless. Unfortunately, throughout most of my Undergraduate degree as a French Horn Performance Major, I had been dealing with a prolonged lip injury. This past Spring semester, I was not sure whether or not I would be able to do the abroad program. Through my persistence and hope, I have continued my degree and had progressed enough to apply for the summer program. Through my program in Austria, I was fortunate enough to take lessons with a renowned horn player in the Vienna Philharmonic. My teacher was generous enough to allow me to watch rehearsals for operas and orchestra concerts and even let me borrow a Vienna horn! Through his teaching and guidance, I have made enormous strides in recovering from my past injuries. This truly was a huge revelation for me that has changed my outlook on my future. I was nearly ready to give up on being a musician all together after finishing my Undergraduate degree. However, through the help of my teacher and being in a city immersed with a love of music and the arts, I have gained more confidence and strength in my abilities than I ever have before. I realize now that possibilities for me are limitless and I am incredibly passionate about returning and studying music further in Austria! Without this life-changing experience, I may have already given up on my dream to be a professional horn player.

The IES program was absolutely amazing. The staff members were incredibly helpful, supportive and kind. I was nervous about not knowing German before arriving in Austria, however, I learned a lot of German through the IES courses and was able to speak at a basic level to natives! Not to mention, everyone in the bigger cities speaks English. Through the program, I was able to visit so many historical sites (such as seeing where some of the most famous composers in the world lived and were buried), and have made lasting friendships. I would recommend studying with IES to anybody! It truly changed my life, the staff is incredibly kind and wonderful, and I had the time of my life!

More organization
Abigail

The Unexpected Love: My Summer in Vienna

This summer I had the privilege to study Music Performance in Vienna Austria through IES Abroad. Originally I was not excited to study abroad, but my experience in Austria changed my entire opinion of study abroad curriculum and opportunity.
The IES Music Performance program in Vienna is an exquisite program filled with teachers who have a wealth of knowledge on the performance subject. While their criticism was sometimes harsh, it was the commentary I desperately needed to expedite my development as a musician. My voice teacher, my pianist, and my professors, taught me valuable technique and skill that are truly enhanced my abilities. The teachers broke down my way of approaching new music, German text, and performance giving me new tools, to learn music a lot easier. I am extremely thankful for the advice that was given to me and grateful to have worked with these knowledgeable musicians.
I also hoped to enhance my abilities as a German speaker, and singer while in Vienna. Throughout my vocal studies at home, I struggled singing and pronouncing German music, so I made sure to take German while I was in Austria. Not only was the class extremely helpful with my knowledge of the language, but also being in a city such as Vienna made me practice my German. It forced me to become phonetically familiar with German pronunciation, and more profound in my use of German grammar. I came back with a lot more confidence in my German abilities.
What I learned from this program was to appreciate studying a craft in its birthplace, and the knowledge that a city can provide a student. Studying abroad is a unique experience that allows a student to approach a subject from a new perspective. Being in Vienna gave me the perspective I needed to understand my Vocal craft, and technique. Learning in this new city with new teachers also gave me the perspective I needed to improve in different areas of my vocal abilities. I would definitely recommend the IES program to any musician who is looking to find a new approach to Music Performance, and broaden their level of music understanding. But I would also recommend this program to anyone who is looking to experience life and culture in a European city. While some of the main attractions are in the center of the city, all of Vienna has a lot of central European culture, and beauty to experience. It is a city and a study abroad opportunity that should not be overlooked.

I would have loved for the administration's organization to have been better. While the program itself had some great teachers, some of the organization was not always as good as the knowledge offered by the teachers in the program. Other than that, I loved the program!
Kacie

Awesome Experience With Summer Music History and Performance

My experience with the IES Summer Music History and Performance Program was rewarding, life-changing, and fun! In just six weeks, I grew tremendously as a performer and a student. The instructors were wonderful, and with plenty of performing experience, they were able to give us great advice on how to perfect our skills. I also enjoyed taking voice lessons with a woman who had a long career in opera. I was amazed at how much I improved in such a short time. In addition, the city of Vienna is absolutely beautiful, filled with parks, historical buildings, and vineyards on the outskirts of the city. I loved being able to spend afternoons in a cafe or park and evenings at the opera. One of the most memorable moments of the experience was getting to see Verdi’s Rigoletto from the sixth row at the Vienna State Opera. Seeing such a powerful musical performance at one of the premiere music venues in the world was surreal, and just one of many once-in-a-lifetime experiences I had during my time in the City of Music. I would recommend this program to anyone who loves music and wants to see a beautiful area of Europe. It is certainly an unforgettable experience!

The only thing that I would change is adding more practice rooms to the IES site itself. The practice rooms at the apartments were fabulous, but there weren't as many rooms near class.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...