CIEE Arts + Sciences in Gaborone, Botswana

CIEE Arts + Sciences in Gaborone, Botswana

Experience Botswana! The Arts and Sciences study abroad program in Gaborone offers students, from a wide range of academic disciplines, the opportunity to live and study in Botswana, learning firsthand about the country and its people while pursuing an intensive curriculum in classes with local students.

Through coursework, a variety of community engagement, and field-based research opportunities, you will explore Botswana and examine its role in the Southern African region.

Study abroad in Gaborone and you will:

- Choose from direct enrollment courses in social sciences, natural sciences, humanities, and engineering and technology

- Enhance your learning through a language and culture practicum to build a bridge between language and experiential learning

- Participate in a week-long rural homestay to get an understanding of the interaction between traditional and modern issues in Botswana today

Africa » Botswana » Gaborone
Letters of Recommendation
The program fee includes:

- Tuition and housing
- Pre-departure advising and optional on-site airport meet and greet
- Full-time program leadership and support
- Field trips and cultural activities
- CIEE iNext travel card, which provides insurance and other travel benefits

CIEE also offers several scholarships for participants; please see website for full details.

Madison
Washington, DC
George Washington University

Semester in Botswana- Can I Go Back Yet?

I'd like to begin by saying that my semester in Botswana was absolutely one of the best, most formative times of my life. Although I was a bit nervous before departing the states, all of my worries were immediately put at ease upon arriving in the country, being introduced to my homestay family, and meeting the CIEE staff.

One thing I really loved about CIEE Botswana was the integration of our program into the local university, people, and culture. During our orientation week we took multiple cultural excursions such as to a small village to spin pottery and to a traditional restaurant. We also took dance lessons from a man trained in traditional dancing. All of these experiences allowed us to become comfortable fully immersing ourselves in the experiences from the beginning.

Secondly, the structure of the CIEE Botswana program is also great for meeting and engaging with local students. Although we took some classes with our program, we also took classes with students from the University at large. Additionally, CIEE student volunteers were active and present at almost every gathering we had, even if these gatherings were planned outside of the typical CIEE structured meetings, etc. Weekly clinic visits allowed us to visualize and apply what we were learning about in the classroom.

Finally, the relationships I formed while abroad mean so much and will continue to mean so much to me for the rest of my life. Our amazing program director proved to be so much more to me than that: she was a confidant, care giver, and friend. From the beginning she made sure to do anything and everything she could to guarantee us a good experience. She spent hours looking for families to pair us with for homestays. She visited excursion sites, scheduled meetings, and organized everything far in advance. She answered late night texts and made an effort to engage with each person on an individual level. Without her hard work, the program would not have been nearly as successful as it was for us. Her hard work brought me countless other friends like the student volunteers, Bethel (our beloved taxi driver), my homestay mother, sisters, and brothers, and many, many more. Already, I am wondering when I can head back to Botswana.

jacob
Iowa State University

CIEE Gaborone CPH Program

Throughout my semester in Gaborone I had the capability to growth both in and out of the classroom. I learned a large amount of information in class relating to public health, HIV & AIDS, and other topics. Outside of the class I was able to observe in various clinics throughout Gaborone. I also was able to travel and get to do activities I thought I would never be able to do in my life. I think the most important thing I learned while being abroad was independence and how to make something out of nothing.
The on site staff and volunteers did an amazing job making our semester one not to forget, and I will never forget all the hard work and dedication they put into making sure we all had an enjoyable experience.

I think working on communication between CIEE employees in the U.S. and the at site staff would help alleviate some problems that came up. I think the structure for some of CIEE courses need to be reviewed and restructured because I felt they were repetitive and some of the projects redundant.

Jordan

Create Your Own Experience

My time at the University of Botswana was one that I will cherish forever. The campus is beautiful and the local students and staff are some of the kindest people I ever met. As a student of color from a predominately white institution, I didn't expect to experience the mass amount of culture shock that I did. However, with the assistance of an amazing director and her wonderful volunteers, I quickly felt at home. I decide to spend a semester abroad in Botswana because of the limited knowledge my peers and family members had about the country. I sought out an experience that I could call my very own. This required the courage to try something new and welcoming the idea that I had much to learn. Gaborone, Botswana is like no other place on Earth. There is such a strong sense of community that it seems as though everyone knows one another. I highly recommend this program for all those interested in studying abroad.

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world