CIEE Community Public Health in Gaborone, Botswana

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, CIEE has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

With one of Africa’s most vital healthcare systems, Botswana is an ideal place to explore regional, social, and scientific health issues. Gain hands-on experience and further your understanding of biology, development, medicine, and public health with courses at CIEE’s partner school, University of Botswana, as well as at CIEE Gaborone. Get firsthand experience visiting clinics, public health, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and hospitals and use your skills volunteering at local organizations. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.

• Shadow healthcare providers to experience how healthcare is delivered in and around Gaborone.
  • See how modern and traditional medicine impact each other with a stay in a rural village.
  • Go on safari where elephants, hippos, crocs, lions, leopards, and a mind-boggling number of birds wander free.

Updated refund & cancellation policy for flexible, secure booking due to COVID-19

In the unusual event CIEE has to cancel your summer ’20, fall '20, January '21, or spring '21 study abroad or internship program due to a health, safety, or security concern, you’re covered with Program Assurance Advantage.

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Laura

A Once in A Lifetime Opportunity

I'll be the first to say that I was extremely nervous when I made the decision to study abroad in Botswana. The internet offers little information about the country in general, so anything I knew about studying there had to be learned from alumni and, ultimately, through first hand experience. Luckily, all my nerves were unnecessary. During my five months in Botswana I discovered more about myself and my future aspirations than I ever could have at my home institution. I was fortunate enough to gain first hand experience in the field of public health by observing in local clinics and was able to truly immerse myself in a foreign culture during a village homestay. I also traveled to some of the most beautiful destinations in the world such as the Okavango Delta and Tofo Beach, Mozambique. I will never forget the friends and memories I made abroad and would strongly recommend this program to a student in any major; it is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I guarantee you will emerge a better student, friend, and person.