CIEE Summer Community Public Health in Gaborone , Botswana

The Summer Community Public Health study abroad program in Gaborone provides you with an introduction to basic healthcare issues in Botswana. Through coursework, a community health practicum, homestays, and a rich and challenging social environment, you’ll gain a holistic appreciation and understanding of health and healthcare in Botswana. What’s more, the program helps equip you with basic Setswana-speaking skills. This is accomplished through a communicative and interactive approach that ensures you have the basic language skills to engage the local communities.

Study abroad in Botswana and you will:

- Work with local public health promoters on a community health practicum in clinics in and around the city

- Learn firsthand about rural public health issues and the relationship between modern and traditional medicine through a multi-day stay in a rural village

Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship to Ireland!

Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship is a unique international program to develop change leaders who make an impact on their community and the world.

This fully funded summer 2021 study abroad program to Dublin, Ireland is developed for students of color with special emphasis on leadership, social justice, agitation for positive change and cross-cultural understanding.

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Isaiah

Summer Community Public Health in Botswana

This summer I went abroad to study Community Public Health in Gaborone, Botswana. I was never about studying abroad because this was going to be my first time outside of the US ever. I decided to try to challenge myself in every way I could think of so I would get the most out of my experience, thus I stayed with a host family to immerse myself deeper into the culture. The first week of orientation made it very clear that I was going to have a great time in Botswana. The workshops about adjusting, the fun we had with excursions, and the host culture reassured me that it was a great idea to study abroad. The study portion was great as well, in addition to all the fun, our professors were dedicated and insightful, and field hours were educational. The CIEE staff of our program director Basetsana and the local student volunteers worked together cohesively to provide us with a great experience for the little time that we were here in the summer.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I saw while in Botswana this summer was learning that despite being thousands of miles away the culture here has a lot of similarities to African American culture in the United States. As an African American, it was an interesting journey during my time here because although I may look like I fit in, I don’t know the language. So I was almost in an in between state for some time. However, our education or lack of it about the continent of Africa and the many countries that comprise it should be reversed. We in the US often times can be too narrow minded forgetting that we are apart of a larger global community, that includes every country in the Continent of Africa.