IES Abroad Santiago - Study in Santiago

IES Abroad Santiago - Study in Santiago

The IES Abroad Santiago Program allows you to fully immerse yourself in the daily life and culture of Chile while studying the Spanish language and Latin America. Courses are taught in Spanish by distinguished professors from IES Abroad partner universities.

Santiago will also be your classroom. Imagine practicing your Spanish as you tour local neighborhoods or visiting local business organizations as part of your study of Chile’s regional and global trade. Welcome to study abroad! Wherever possible, our courses take advantage of the city’s many historical, artistic, and cultural sites, and several courses also include a hands-on, practical component.

South America » Chile » Santiago
Contact IES Abroad or see website for details: www.IESabroad.org/santiago

Show 1 - 15 of 26
Daniyal

My time in Santiago

My time in Santiago, Chile was one of the greatest yet hardest experiences of my life. I came in with a pretty good level of Spanish but quickly realized that classroom Spanish and a background of 7 years in class isn't real life Spanish... especially Chilean Spanish. I remember being afraid to say things incorrectly at the beginning, but by the end understood better that it really is okay to make mistakes and was more comfortable asking questions/really trying to understand the language in its entirety. My host family was great, and although we started at a slow place with getting to know them, by then end I felt like family. I also learned that it takes a lot on the student's part to build that relationship, and I feel like it is extremely valuable to build those because the home is where you get a lot of good practice with no pressure. But again, the way you feel about making mistakes is ultimately up to you. The more you accept yourself for them, the more you will learn and improve. While the Spanish learning, cultural learning, traveling were great experiences, I had a major health issue going on. I share this to demonstrate how safe and cared for I felt the entire time that I was dealing with this issue. If you have a health condition, please don't let it stop you from studying abroad. I have a complicated story with too many details, but I made 1 hospital visit and 3 doctor visits (all in Spanish) but was accompanied by program advisors who made me felt very comfortable and understood... despite any potential language issues. My host family was very caring and always asked how I was feeling, and the school even let me take a week off from classes. It was hard, my days were long and tiring with this issue... but would I take it back and not go? No way. I will never regret my decision to stay because I made long lasting relationships, seriously improved upon my Spanish skills more than I ever would staying at my university, and got to experience another part of the world that functions slightly differently from what I'm used to... and these are experiences I will carry with me forever. Chile is an amazing country that is highly dismissed. If you have the opportunity to go, do it. You won't regret it.

More integration into the community, more travel plans as groups

Nina

The people make the program

This fall, I went to Santiago through the IES Semester in Santiago program and had the absolute pleasure of meeting some of the most wonderful people in the world. Many study abroad programs have similar draws—small classes, hands-on learning, fantastic teachers, cultural integration, etc—and don’t get me wrong, my program definitely had all of those. However, one thing that really set the program apart was the type of student on the program, the staff at the study abroad center in Santiago, and the host families. All the students on my program got along fabulously, which was honestly pretty strange. I went abroad in high school on a different program, and there were clashes within the program, as happens when many very different people spend a lot of time together. However, in Santiago, we literally all got along well—there was no exclusion, no cattiness, nothing. The group was comprised of very smart and interesting students, who were laid-back in attitude and all of whom enjoyed nature, and for whatever reason, this made us incredibly cohesive. I can’t stress enough how bizarrely lovely and inclusive it was.
Our cohesion was probably due in part to the incredible staff at IES, who were intentional about teambuilding and introductions from the start. The five women who work at the center were some of the most loving, kind, compassionate, funny and warm people I’ve ever had the good fortune to meet. Not only were they good at the administrative aspects of their jobs, they cared for me and the other students like their own children. I had bronchitis for about a month (immunodeficiency, whaddup), and they worked tirelessly with me to coordinate makeup work and tests while also firmly and lovingly demanding I go take a nap and give myself a break. They are amazing. Again, I can’t stress this enough.
One of the women who works at the center is responsible for housing placements, and she does an incredible job. Each homestay is hand-picked by her, and she is careful and thorough with her reasoning. You get to fill out a form in which you indicate what your desired outcome in a homestay is—whether that’s to be integrated into the family, to spend a bit of time with them, or to have it more as a place to sleep and eat rather than a family setting—and she matches you with people who have similar desires. This eliminates a lot of awkwardness around being unsure on expectations. I wanted to be part of the family, and I ended up in a house where I would spend hours talking to my host mom about life philosophy and experience. She is my second mom (even now she texts me asking if I’m sleeping enough. That’s mom love for ya).
On my program, I navigated a big city after living in rural college towns my whole life. I formed loving and warm bonds with people I never would’ve met otherwise. I explored and grew and learned and laughed and cried and ate too many empanadas, and IES Santiago gave me the space for that. Go. You won’t regret it.

I take advanced Spanish courses at my home college, so even the advanced Spanish class felt a little slow. I still learned a ton!

Andrea

Do I have to leave?

Study abroad is a personal experience that impacts everyone in different ways. The staff at IES abroad Santiago understand this and supports each student with social, academic, traveling, cultural-immersion, and host-family issues every step of the way. And Chile is a wonderful country with inviting people, breathe taking nature, and so much love to make any one feel at home.

When my parents dropped me off at the airport and I waived goodbye as I walked through security, I realized it was real and I was leaving to another country half way across the world on my own. I took a deep breath and plunged into the experience of a lifetime, one that would change me for the better and impact me for the rest of my life. I planted roots in South America and they run deep. Chile taught me to be patient with others and with myself, to communicate about everything always because you can never be too informed, to try new things and to get back up when you don't do as planned, to ask for help and in return, help others, to get lost and find your way home, to struggle and overcome obstacles, to learn, to love, and to grow. A part of Chile will forever be in my heart and I hope one day, it can be in yours too.

Katie

Living in Chile was an amazing experience

I spent two semesters in Santiago, Chile. I honestly had a rough start with culture shock, but I changed host families and built a relationship with my host mom -a relationship I hope will last the rest of my life. I made friends within IES Abroad and with Chileans; I already miss them all!
Chile is the ideal place to study abroad, because it has the best of everything. I got to live in all the conveniences of a modern city, but could travel to the Andes mountains, the Pacific beaches, the driest desert in the world, islands, volcanoes, and of course, Patagonia.
I honestly believe that Chile is way underrated as a tourist destination. There is so much to see, do, and discover there.

This program, like any other, has room for improvement. I would like to see a better process for dealing with student issues (particularly in respect to homestays) where students can have more confidence. Also, sometimes the organization of the program can be frustrating, such as last minute notice of group meetings.

Emma

Highly Recommended!

This program helped me achieve my overall goal of being able to communicate in Spanish on a higher level. The homestay experience really helped me better my speaking and listening abilities. They say that if you can understand Chilean Spanish, you can understand any Spanish. The administrators are extremely friendly and helpful in every way possible. You can go to them for anything you need - they are there if you need a hug while you are experiencing culture shock or homesickness and can help you if you are struggling in any of your classes. Also, one of the Spanish teachers has been awarded as the best IES professor out of all of the IES programs in the world! So academics are great.

Andrew

Connections and an Amazing Host Family and City

My study abroad experience in Santiago, Chile surpassed my expectations in so many ways. As a member of the Health Studies Program, I took a Spanish for Healthcare Professionals course, did an internship at a community health foundation, and participated in a health studies seminar in which I learned about the Chilean healthcare system as well as the contemporary public health issues facing Chile. One of the aspects I enjoyed most about being part of the IES program was the fact that they are very well connected and very accommodating to meeting students’ interests in order for them to make the absolute most out of their experience. As part of the Health Studies Program, the majority of students choose to participate in the Clinical Observation Seminar in which they do weekly observations of hospitals; however, as one of the only students studying Public Health who was not pre-med, I hoped to do something a little more hands on where I was engaging with community members and also learning about prevention. IES was able to pair me up with a community health agency called Popular Education in Health (EPES in Spanish). This internship was one of the most rewarding experiences I have had in my life. At the foundation I worked on a nutrition initiative and learned about the influence of the Chilean dictatorship on the current status of nutrition in Chile. This experience in conjunction with the IES course called Human Rights in Latin America, helped to shape my interest in learning more about the dictatorship and I am now, as a study abroad returnee, looking for as many ways as possible to integrate my interest in the dictatorship into projects or independent studies I work on at my home university.
In addition, my host family as well surpassed my expectations. At first the idea of living with three brothers was very intimidating. However, my family made sure to include me in everything. A couple of my favorite memories were running most weekends with my host mom followed by yoga sessions and also going to my host grandma’s house with my family for an asado (Chilean BBQ) when my host mom’s brother returned to Chile after seven years of living abroad. IES Santiago does a great job of pairing students with host families meeting their interests and also place you in great neighborhoods. In addition, talking with your host family every day without a doubt improves your Spanish.
Lastly, arriving in Chile I thought I would travel more than I did; however, I do not regret staying in Santiago on the weekends and exploring various museums such as the Museum of Memory and Human Rights. Santiago also has an excellent food/bar/and nightlife scene. However, one of the trips I will never forget is the IES trip to Chiloe, a magical and enchanted Island in Chile’s South.
Overall, I would hands down recommend the IES Santiago Program for its wonderful connections throughout Santiago and beyond. This experience without a doubt will be one that I will remember for the rest of my life!

Marley

Cannot wait to go back!

Studying abroad in Santiago with IES was by far the greatest thing I could have done with a semester of my college career. I was able to solidify so much of what I want to do with my life and I don't believe that I could have done that without this experience. I was able to make lifelong friends, improve my Spanish,realize my passion for environmental policy through my classes at the local university, and really build a home away from home.

I am planning on returning to work and live for a while after I graduate from college, there is just so much more of the beautiful Chile that I want to see and experience and even more of Latin America that I would love to get to know. I really do believe that without the help and guidance IES provided us my experience would not have been the same. They placed me with the most incredible host family, ensured that the classes I was taking both at IES and at the local university were what I needed for my area of study, and they helped us adapt to Chile in a broad sense as well as giving us the tools to navigate the culture on our own. I have attached a few of my favorite photos from my trip.

Caroline

Finding a Home Away From Home in Santiago

My decision to study abroad is one I will neither regret nor forget as it provided me the opportunity to grow academically and personally. Immersing myself in a new country enriched my global understanding; however, as much as I learned about Chilean people, history and culture, I learned more about myself.
As I waited at the Minneapolis airport for my thirteen hour flight to Santiago, a range of emotions swept over me: from excited to frightened, to homesick to exhilarated.Before embarking on my IES Study in Chile, I had never left the United States. I worried about how I could communicate with my host family and others. I had doubts about how I would manage all my classes and assignments in Spanish. I worried my GPA would take a irrecoverable hit or that I would be need to spend so much time studying I would miss the opportunities to explore the country.
All these concerns plagued me during my flight, but the moment I saw the IES group at the Santiago airport, I was at ease. The program and its staff provided resources, answers, orientation and ongoing support before, during, and after my trip. Beyond addressing students’ expected nerves commencing a study abroad program, the IES staff also helped me build confidence, acclimate to the country, and encourage me to embrace the uncomfortable by stepping outside my comfort zone.
Before I left for my study abroad program, everyone I knew who had travelled abroad gave me the same pep talk: it will change your life, you will come back a new person, and you will want to continue to travel. At the time, I listened, but it did not sink in. Now, I comprehend what they meant. My semester abroad did, in fact, change me. I gained confidence to communicate, adapt and find my way in another country. I gained curiosity to discover and appreciate another culture’s beauties and differences. I gained critical thinking skills that strengthened my independence, guided me through obstacles and made me more self-reliant. Most of all, I gained a sense of who I am and how I fit into a world much bigger than my home, my school or my country.

Ellie

Fall 2015

I don’t think I could have chosen a better program for me than IES Santiago. I am a premed student studying Biology and Spanish and IES was perfect. I participated in a Health Studies program in which we learned about the Chilean health system and did observations in different hospitals and clinics every week. Not only was IES academically ideal but also the staff and my host family helped me find a second home in Chile. Arriving in Santiago, I knew no one, but I made life long friendships with Chileans and Americans while abroad that I will cherish forever. I am incredibly grateful for my experience abroad in Santiago.

It would be nice if the IES class schedule more easily accommodated taking classes at the local university.

Serena

Semester in Santiago

Study abroad. Wow. There is so much to tell and not enough time. Studying in Chile was a great experience that not only built my confidence, but also solidified my path in life. I took classes for my Spanish major, both at the IES center and at the partner-university and I participated in the Health Studies program which allowed me to shadow doctors and nurses in a variety of hospitals in the Santiago Metropolitan area while learning about the health care system in Chile. IES Abroad made it easy enough for me to become immersed in the culture, through my host family, Club Chileno (a group of university students who worked with IES to help us and hang out with us), who were basically my first Chilean friends and the myriad of local staff members who constantly encouraged me to speak only Spanish. My semester abroad was a life-changing experience and I know I will treasure my friendships and the changes that came out of it.

Julia

Spring 2015

I studied abroad with IES: Santiago in the spring of 2015. It was, by far, one of the best decisions I have made. Class sizes at the program center were small and the opportunity to take classes at one of the local universities, Universidad Pontifica Catolica de Chile, helped me to feel integrated into the city. My internship afforded me the greatest opportunity to practice Spanish, and I feel it contributed the most to the advancement of my ability to speak Spanish. Santiago as a city is safe and welcoming and a great jumping-off point if you are looking to travel both within and outside of Chile. The program size was small which allowed me to get to know everyone in the program and living in a home provided a fantastic cultural experience. I highly recommend this program!

Joanne

Spring 2015

I studied abroad in Santiago, Chile during the spring semester. Being the only student from my university on this program, I was incredibly nervous going into the experience. However, the decision to study abroad with the Santiago program was the best decision I made. My program included 21 students from various universities across the nation, allowing me to meet people I would not have met otherwise. They were all welcoming and kind and created a wonderful foundation for me throughout the semester. The professors and program director at IES: Santiago were wonderful. They were willing to listen and help solve any problems that came up. I learned a lot during the semester and my Spanish improved greatly. Between the new experiences in a foreign country and travelling, I was kept busy and involved. After returning to the US, I would not trade this study abroad experience for anything.

Kelley

A Semester of a Lifetime in Santiago, Chile

My semester in Chile was the best experience of my life. From the new people I met to the culture I was immersed in, I could not have asked for a better 4.5 months. I would highly recommend this program to anyone! What is special about this program is that it incorporates a semester overseas with a new language and a medical focus. This aspect was integral in my choosing of this program. Every week, we got to go to a different medical facility and observe doctors and learn how the Chilean health care system works. It really was an unique opportunity that I would not trade for anything!

Shenice

Abroad on a tight budget

Ever since highschool I dreamed of studying abroad in college. I couldn't wait to experience a life that was different from the one I experienced in the states and to be fluent in Spanish. My opportunity came junior year this year 2015 and I couldn't be more excited. Although I come from a family of very limited resources I was determined to make my dream a reality regardless of whatever sacrifices I had to make while abroad. There were only two important objectives for me while abroad: 1. Be in a different country and 2. Improve my Spanish. I decided I could do that despite my economic situation. I was able to live my dream but it came with a minor glitch, my experience was of a lower quality because of it. I tried hard for my economic situation not to affect me but honestly it did affect me. I couldn’t go on as many restaurant or ice cream trips after class with my program mates. I couldn’t explore Chile as much as I wanted to like the other students and when I found out that I didn’t have to take a class at one of the local universities, I opted out of taking a class at the university because it would save on transportation. My social life suffered a lot because of the decisions I had to make. But at the end of the day, I completed my two goals: I was in a different country and my Spanish improved tremendously. I would like to say that the IES study abroad experience was great in the sense that the teachers were great, the classes were interesting and the course work was not incredibly demanding.

If I could change one thing it would be that the program helped the students pay for the field trips they took the students on. There were field trips that cost $450 to $700. It would have been nice if the trips were more affordable to the students.

Rachel

Adventures in Santiago

Every single day that I spent in Chile felt like an adventure. My Spanish improved daily and I learned so much from my host family. I was able to travel from the Northern most city all the way down to the Southern most city and everywhere in between. Santiago is an amazing home base with an amazing social scene! It is surrounded by the Andes mountains and multiple vineyards. Weekend trips by bus were always taken and empanadas were eaten daily!! I will forever be missing a piece of my heart because I left it with my second family in Santiago!

As for the difficulties, I was very homesick and that sadness was met by an amazing support staff at IES! They were also amazingly supportive when I had an emergency gallbladder removal surgery in the middle of my semester there! I highly recommend this program!

Check out my pictures below! I included a picture of my host family and me, a picture from my visit to the geysers, and a photo from my visit to an island inhabited by only penguins!!

Compensation for the students who are unable to walk to the IES center!

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...