IES Abroad Santiago – Health Studies

A student making empanadas
A student making empanadas
A student jumping above Santiago
A student jumping above Santiago

Designed for students interested in learning about global health industries, this study abroad program in Santiago offers you a first-hand look at the city’s community-centered public health systems.

During your semester in Santiago, you’ll take classes like Spanish for Health Care Practitioners and Health Studies Seminar, taught by world-class professors who will enrich your academic experience in and outside of the classroom. While in Santiago, you’ll live in a homestay with a family or señora, which will help you practice your language skills and integrate into the Chilean community.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Isabella

Best Summer Ever!

I learned so much on this program! I now know more about the Chilean health system than I do about the United States system. I got 60 hours of hospital observation, including seeing many surgeries and the birth of a baby! All of my experiences in the hospital were completely in Spanish, which made it very intimidating at first. However, by the end I could understand everything happening around me and I loved it! I also made friendships that I know will last for the rest of my life. The IES Abroad center staff was so kind and genuinely cared that we had a great time, and I loved my host family. The city of Santiago now feels like a second home to me, and I can't wait to go back some day. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to improve their Spanish, learn about medicine, and have a summer full of adventure!

Don't be afraid to speak Spanish! The more you practice the better you'll be. And say yes to anything you're remotely interested in. Every experience can be life-changing!
Brianna

Discovering yourself in Chile

Studying abroad in Santiago, Chile was one of the best choices I have made in my life. I am a neuroscience major, but have always had a desire to become fluent in Spanish. For that reason, I decided to study in the Health Studies Program, to learn more about the health system in Chile, but also to fully immerse myself into a Spanish-speaking culture. This program allows students to take a seminar where they can choose between shadowing in hospitals and clinics, or intern at a Public Health organization in an underserved community. I decided to intern at the Public Health organization, and through that experience, was very inspired by the theory of Popular Education, and experienced first-hand the power and importance of community health. This experience for sure inspired me so much, and made me think a lot more about the type of career I would like in the future.

In addition to the educational aspect of the program, Chile was a great country to study in with the goal to learn Spanish. Even living in the capital city of Santiago, it was rare that you would enter a restaurant or mall and find someone who could, and would, speak english to you. Santiago is also a wonderful city to live in, which many beautiful parks, restaurants, and hills to hike. I also loved the nature that Chile has to offer, and simply by traveling outside of Santiago to these natural environments were very inspiring as they are beautiful settings to both challenge yourself and reflect on life.

My advice to future students for this study abroad program would be to fully immerse yourself into the Spanish-speaking culture. Studying abroad with other English-speaking students can sometimes prevent you from wanting to challenge yourself and speak the host-country's language, but take advantage of the opportunities to have conversations with your host family, attend events at the local University, or even travel alone and force yourself to speak Spanish.