CET Shanghai

Want to use international experience to build an amazing résumé? CET Shanghai students get to understand the rewards and challenges of working abroad. There are hundreds of placements available, and we help you find an organization that's the perfect match for your interests and skills. You'll undertake coursework that provides an academic context for your internship and take Chinese language classes as well. Choose electives that meet a major requirement, like International Marketing, or one that's distinctly Chinese, like Contemporary Chinese Cinema. And if you're not interested in interning abroad, there's an option for that too. To round out your experience, life with a Chinese roommate provides the opportunity to engage with Chinese culture, and a big highlight of the program is a weekend trip to the Yangtze Delta. This program is open to students of all majors and all language levels.

• Expansive, long-standing network of internship placements
  • Flexible curriculum: intern abroad or focus on electives
  • Engaging and academically rigorous Chinese language classes
  • Local Chinese roommates
  • Out-of-classroom learning, assignments, and excursions

Donghua University, which is located in the inner ring of Shanghai. It's a couple miles from the French Concession, definitely biking distance, and just a bus ride from the Bund. Though it does take some time to get most places, it's pretty much the closest university to the central/commercial districts of Shanghai. There's also a bus stop and subway station right across the street from the campus...
I'm estimating that the average commute is ~40 minutes -- it may sound like a lot, but it's important to note that this is very reasonable within the massive metropolis that is Shanghai. Also, public transportation is reliable and convenient. The subway station is a five-minute walk from campus, and there are multiple bus stops at the school entrance.

Max

Semester with CET Shanghai

I had a great time with CET Shanghai and would recommend it to anybody excited about exploration, looking for work experience, all the while still receiving academic credit. Shanghai is a lively city with lots of opportunities. CET does a great job of connecting students with the competitive internships in all different kinds of fields within the city. Working an internship and taking a full course load can be daunting if students try to do too much but generally speaking it is easy to balance internships and academics. Teachers and faculty provide students with lots of different ways to learn about China and Shanghai through tours and weekend trips but students also have the autonomy to go out and explore places on their own. CET is located in the heart of Shanghai at Donghua university and it is easy to travel around Shanghai.

Michelle

CET Shanghai Alumna

CET Shanghai was truly a remarkable experience. The city itself, with traces of a colonial past and proof of top-notch city planning and execution, is vibrant and modern. And despite Shanghai’s progressiveness in recent years, the city still retains some of its old Chinese heritage. With its eclectic mix of tradition and modern, east and west, Shanghai is dynamic and a rather alluring location to study abroad.

With regards to the study abroad program, it really kept me on my toes. Being a full-time student with classes Mondays through Fridays, a part-time intern, and a full-time tourist, there’s always something to do and never a dull moment. The CET staff are all superstars and works hard to ensure that everyone is well-adjusted to their new living situation. The teachers are caring and extremely understanding when it comes to assignments, quizzes, and exams. Not to say that the classes aren’t intensive or challenging because they were (especially the Mandarin-language class) but in a relaxed and supportive kind of way. Moreover, my local roommate was wonderful and always took time out of her busy schedule to help with homework, show me around the city, and engage in endless hours of conversation.

What appealed to me most about CET Shanghai was the internship component. On top of having international work experience that adds significant value on any resume, the internship really forces you to explore and get a taste of work and daily life in Shanghai. At my internship I got to know some of the locals and ex-pats working there full-time, and they were so welcoming and wonderful as they would invite me to professional workshops, meals, and even some authentic Chinese fun at a KTV club afterwork. In other words, the internship really enriches the study abroad experience because it diversifies the types of social interactions and experiences you’ll have outside those of your American classmates and the local Chinese roommates who you dorm with.

Overall, CET Shanghai is a well-rounded program. It allowed me to maximize for what I felt like a brief period of time I was abroad, and it was genuinely an unforgettable and transformative experience where I learned so much about myself. I highly recommend it to anyone thinking about studying abroad in China.

David

My study abroad trip to Shanghai

Before I left for Shanghai, CET promises the stars, they promised a summer study program at a rigorous university, Chinese language and elective classes taught by highly skilled proffesors, as well as a job internship in the heart of finincial capital of China. As the old saying goes, if something sound too good to be true, it probably is. But just 2 months after the experience, I can safely say that, if anything, CET was underselling the experience. This trip was a tranformative experience for me, as not only did my language skills improve , but I also gained the confidence and affirmation that I could actually use them to live, work , and in China, as well as gaining a global perspective on how a vastly different culture views and engages Work and education related mores and traditions. Studying abroad, and this program in particular, is something I cannot recommend hard enough to anyone/

Ramsey

Great experience with CET in Shanghai!

I studied abroad through CET Shanghai in Fall 2017. I had an amazing experience, learning a lot about the language and culture and truly growing as a person through my time there. There were three main aspects that I really loved about the program, being the language, internship, and local roommates.

My Chinese language skills grew immensely throughout my time abroad. I honestly don't think there's any better way to learn a language than to actually be immersed in the culture and have to speak it daily, which is exactly what I got in Shanghai. Though it was difficult at times, especially when you needed help or guidance from locals who spoke no English, I feel confident that my language would not be where it is without going to Shanghai.

The internship experience that I got through CET was amazing. I could not have asked for a better placement. My internship provided me with amazing responsibility, skill-growth, and networking opportunities. I'm still in touch with my supervisor and definitely think I could use him and other people I met through the internship in the future for job searches. Though I had an amazing experience with the internship, I must admit not everyone had quite the same experience, and it's definitely important to make sure your internship is a good fit for you once you get there.

The final aspect of CET Shanghai that I found awesome was the local roommates. My roommate (and pretty much every roommate in the program) was absolutely amazing. She was so sweet and totally let me see a side of China that I would not have seen otherwise. All of the roommates in the program were amazing and I think it definitely helped me to assimilate and enjoy my experience.

I was extremely happy with my time in CET and could not have asked for a better abroad experience. However, it is important to say that it was difficult at times. The culture in China is very different than in the US, and though you can find outlets, at some points I definitely felt like an outsider. CET does a great job supporting you, but it's important to go into the program with an open mind and an understanding that living in China is not easy and definitely takes a great deal of maturity and acceptance of the culture around you. That being said, I think it's totally doable for anyone with that mindset and is a great opportunity to learn about the world and about yourself.

I do wish there was more opportunity to travel. Having class 5 days a week helped me to learn a lot, but it didn't provide much opportunity for exploration across Asia. If you're going definitely try to use your weekends efficiently to travel throughout China, but there honestly just wasn't a lot of time many of the weekends.
Maxwell

CET Shanghai

The overall experience was excellent. The best part of the program was the people, followed by the location. Shanghai is a world hub that acts as one of the most interesting international cities in the world. While the nightlife in Shanghai is enough for the summer/semester, the options for travel in Southeast Asia are overwhelming. CET does a great job preparing its students for taking on the enigma that is Shanghai with its rigorous mandarin classes and other electives. Be prepared to get up early and work hard as the teachers hired by CET are no joke and have one goal in enhancing your Chinese whether you are a beginner or attempting fluency. If you are looking for a challenge and another option besides a typical European boondoggle, Shanghai could be the option for you.

Program can be improved by reducing overall price and enhancing the food options for students around campus.
College student in love with traveling
Sarah

Alumni Review

I had a lot of fun during my time in Shanghai! I loved that this program had an internship because it gave me experience working internationally. I was able to work at the Mercedes-Benz Arena, working their social media accounts, which was really amazing. Going to the events and concerts was also a huge plus. CET Shanghai offers a lot of different companies and organizations to be a part of which I greatly appreciated. The weekend trips to a rural monastery plus Moganshan were great to bond with everyone and get out of the Shanghai bubble. I'd say that the faculty, especially Nova (gotta give a shoutout to her) went above and beyond for us. They helped us with the resident permit and all the necessary paperwork, as well as any other questions we may have had for them.
My classes were all really interesting and not too time-consuming (which is good because of the internship). My Chinese teacher was so nice and patient! I definitely improved over the weeks. My other classes (in English) were once a week which I wasn't used to but not complaining about. My teachers for those classes were very knowledgeable and I enjoyed the field trips that they took us on.
I think my semester got really lucky with the group of Chinese roommates. We all got along and it was so much fun to hang out with them. I still keep in touch with most of them to this day! Their English got so much better as the semester progressed.
As a gay woman, I was nervous going into the program. I knew Shanghai was better about LGBTQ+ people more than other provinces/cities in China, but I didn't know if I would get judgemental looks or something from people there. I was pleasantly surprised that I had nothing to worry about when I was there. Obviously, China isn't as open about the topic, but I think the Chinese students are curious about it if you give them a chance to talk about it.
I learned that the Chinese roommates are a lot more attentive to what goes on around the world, considering the censorship. It was cool to learn more about their culture and some sensitive topics and seeing how the roommates would react if we interviewed them about it.
Overall, I loved the program! I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to study abroad. Shanghai is a great place to explore, and if you're thinking of taking on a job in Shanghai what better way than to have an internship to see if it's right for you!

It'd be great if there were more elective options. More in the humanities or psychology, than just history or politics and government.
Dehlia

Alumni Review

Overall, I had a positive experience at CET Shanghai, and will be returning for another semester in the Spring. The best parts of the program are the Chinese classes, roommates, and internship. I think that having a Chinese roommate is probably the most unique aspect of CET Shanghai and was one of my most valuable experiences. Living and forming friendships with other Chinese college students was a really amazing experience, and I learned so much from them. All of our roommates were so helpful and nice, and genuinely wanted to form close relationships with us. The internship can go either way. Mine ended up being a very positive experience, but that's because I actually left the first internship I was placed in because the environment was not great. I know that this was the case with a lot of my classmates, who were working in internships where they weren't given much work or attention. However, I ended up working one on one with an artist in his studio which was great.
The Chinese classes are challenging and I feel that I learned a lot and that my level improved quickly. Taking classes in China with a Chinese teach is a unique experience which cannot be replicated in America. I liked the level of work and intensity of our classes, as I felt that I learned a lot without being overwhelmed.
The elective classes were probably the least positive part of my experience. The internship class didn't feel like a great use of time, but since it also didn't require a lot of work it wasn't a big issue. Overall there aren't a lot of options or variety offered with the electives. I ended up having to take economics when I would have much rather taken some kind of humanities class. The history class was interesting but in part a repeat of material I had already covered. However, the professor was great and actually let me read my own material in place of things which would have been review for me.
I think that this is a great program if you want a blend of language and work experience. It also offers a fair amount of free time to explore the city and travel to other places.

The biggest improvement would be offering more electives, specifically in the humanities. I think it would also be great to offer some supplement classes/clubs, maybe focusing on art or music or dance. When I did SYA in high school they offered some after school classes like this which were really great.
Response from CET Academic Programs

Thank you for your feedback on your experience with CET in Shanghai, and we are glad that you are continuing on to the spring semester! Both positive and constructive feedback is always welcome. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your internship, interactions with your roommate and overall academic gains. As you noted, the program continues to grow and we appreciate knowing ways our staff can expand offerings in the future.
– Shelley Jessee, Director of Marketing

Etta

Shanghai Summer School and Beyond

Having the opportunity to live, work and study in Shanghai will always be one of the most memorable and amazing experiences of my life. As a program, CET outdid themselves in every aspect, both inside and outside the classroom.
The combination of both Chinese language classes and Chinese cultural classes really helped me have a better grasp of living and experiencing Chinese society. I really enjoyed the one-on-one instruction the program offered as well as the field trips we would take as a class to new parts of China I would have never had the opportunity to otherwise visit on my own. Getting to live with a local Chinese roommate, especially a native Shanghainese, greatly enriched my experience learning the language and making new life long friends.
My internship taught me a lot as well. Working for a Spanish company's Asian headquarters immersed me into the international business world in the best way possible. I was surrounded by colleges from all over the world, in a multilingual environment who helped me in so many ways to learn how to successfully navigate and interact in a professional and multicultural business setting.
Shanghai is an absolutely stunning city and has so much to offer. I loved exploring the city every chance I had, whether it be with my Chinese roommate, my fellow American students or just by myself. The sense of independence and confidence living in a whole new part of the world instills in you is unlike any other. Taking the initiative to even look outside of the program, to go to new events and make new friends all from around China, to learn more of who you are as a person, is the most rewarding aspect you can take from program.
Overall, I couldn't have been happier with CET. They were extremely well-organized and tremendously supportive all throughout my time there and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

If someone is debating between choosing to attend the Chinese Studies and Internship Program and the Chinese Intensive Language program, ask yourself what you want out of the program and then base your decision on that. Having completed both, I would say that if you want to focus solely on academics and improving your language skills, then I recommend the Chinese Intensive Language. If you want a more well-rounded, enriched and in-depth experience into understanding Chinese culture and society, then I recommend the Chinese Studies and Internship Program.
Christopher

Insights into Shanghai's International Community

While abroad in Shanghai, I was exposed to its international community of expats studying abroad at my university. Shanghai is the largest city in the world, and as such, there is an enormous contingent of foreign students looking to tap into its growing business environment. On my hall, about three doors down from me lived an international student from Senegal. Bobo, a Muslim African, had been conducting his graduate studies in Shanghai for eight years, and was going through Ramadan during my first month in Shanghai. As part of his religious tradition, he and his friends could not eat until after 8pm every day. While returning from an early evening on the town, I happened upon Bobo and began to chat with him. Just as I felt the conversation growing a bit awkward, I mentioned that I had homework to do, and needed to retire to my dorm for the night. He insisted that I stay and eat dinner with he and his five friends. I took him up on his offer, and continued to eat a traditional Muslim dish out of a tray on the ground, with our hands. We ate, talked about the Senegalese way of life, their government, and their aspirations. After spending the better part of two hours with them, I finally went to my room and finished the homework I had put off in order to learn about a culture foreign to myself. This encounter is special to me in that I learned about a group of people I had no prior knowledge of, and it was in an especially unique place: Shanghai. The experience proved to me that it is grossly important to learn about other people's experiences, and also gave me an alternative view on my abroad country from somebody other than native Chinese person or an American on my program.

There could be a few less class hours a week in order to free up students' time to experience the city.
Deborah

Better Than Anything I Expected

As someone not exactly fit for a study abroad - having had mild depression and anxiety throughout my college years, going to a foreign country where the language nor the people were familiar to me was a very sound choice.
I was scared of whether I could do the internship that I found, something that was exactly what I had asked for, incorporating business and publishing all in one neat package, and I didn't know how I would do in this new environment.
The program was amazing. I was not just a tourist, although I had plenty of time to do that, but the program cared for me in a way that I didn't think about the money being paid - although I tried to remember. They truly love their students.
When I was struggling, they checked up on me. When I needed to talk, they were always there with encouragement and advice. The classes are difficult, but very good. You learn a language for real, and they're serious about leaving you with amazing skills.
I was able to go on trips with plenty of time left to explore with my roommate, who was a lifesaver for me who couldn't speak a full language. I learned the most from her than anyone else. If anyone ever is worried they can't do it - you can. And this program is something I'd really recommend.

The only thing I could think that could improve this would be doing more trips or having more interaction between the Chinese roommates and the study abroad students. Pairs of roommates/students work together, but rarely groups of both hanging out. However, friends are still made and I still made good Chinese national friends.
Sai-kit

Hong Kong-Thai-American in Mainland China

For most Americans, when they say "Asian" or even "Asian-American" they lump all of East Asia and South-east Asia together. However for me as someone with cultural heritage from both Thailand and Hong Kong I find it really important to tell people that I'm not just a Asian-American or even a Chinese-American, I am a Hong Kong-Thai- American. I've heard stories, whether from my co-workers in China or from CET, that Chinese-Americans are usually judged at a higher standard than most people. While this might be the case for others, I really didn't feel this was true. First, my name in English is "translated" from my Cantonese name, sounds that don't even exist in Mandarin, so whenever I introduce myself people, including the CET teachers, assumed I was Korean. I also have really dark skin so people assume that I have southeast Asian blood in me and therefore can't speak Mandarin either. For me, I was really lucky because I looked foreign enough where most people wouldn't judge me too harshly if I messed up, but at the same time I looked "Chinese" enough that people wouldn't feel like they should practice English with me.
In terms of how my background affected my Chinese learning in class, I'm really grateful for the teachers at CET. One thing I was really worried about is the fact that a lot of the words I know in Mandarin Chinese are more Southern/Taiwanese style Mandarin, but the head teacher, Qu laoshi, assured me that this wouldn't be a problem. Her reasoning is that as Chinese-Americans, we've grown up using that terminology and while that terminology isn't necessarily standard, it isn't incorrect either so she sees no need to force us to change that habit. I was also horrified that they would try to change the way I said the pinyin "sh" and "s"s. Once again I say it with a Southern accent. Actually at one point I did get into an argument with one of my teachers, but that argument quickly melted away as we continued the lesson. My other Chinese teacher said that as we are in the 300 level class, it is too late to change our accents. She thought it was more valuable to learn new grammar and words rather than to change something like grammar. I agree with this reasoning. The point of language is to communicate and I feel like no matter what accent you have, some one will always think you have an accent.
My Chinese teacher was also really good at telling me when I was using a Cantonese/Southern way of saying something rather than the Mandarin way of saying something. Rather than saying I was wrong, she would simply say that in the mainland they don't use that phrase/word and tell me what they use in the mainland. The teachers I've had in the past would straight-out say I was wrong so I'm grateful that the teachers in CET have a basic understanding of other dialects.

Anna

In Shangri-la. The Actual Shangri-la

One of my favorite experiences when I was studying abroad in China happened over Fall Break. When my friends and I were in Shangri-la in Yunan, we were tired and hungry from a long and windy bus ride. We decided to have a recommended Tibet-style meal for late lunch. We ate ground yak meat (amazing), spicy Tibetan tofu (amazing), bread with caramelized cheese honey (amazing), and yak milk tea (amazing). This was one of the most unique, memorable, and tasty meals of my life.

I did consistently wonder what this program would have been like with a language pledge. I gained a lot from using English at my internship and with my American friends. However, I understand my Chinese language could have improved much more if I hadn't used my English so often.
Ji

worthy moments in Shanghai

I first attended CET Shanghai program with the simple reason to learn more Chinese and for cultural immersion. However, CET provided me with much more than I had expected, even linking me with some of the best corporate internships in Shanghai. The experience later proved to be invaluable, enabling me to work with Chinese companies after graduating from college as I pursued the path of an entrepreneur. CET's Wide selection of internships not only helped me to think about my future career, but also provided me with professional knowledge in the industry that I was interested in. I can also say that my internship placement at the marketing/PR agency also facilitated an extensive improvement of my Mandarin skills because my supervisors often instructed me in Chinese and I was placed to research, write, and speak in Chinese during working hours. Also, weekly seminar sessions with the director of CET program helped me to organize my internship career and how to quickly solve problems so I could balance both internship and coursework effectively. Even after I completed the program, the director continued to provide students with opportunities for career advancement and developing tight networks among CET students.

Besides from internships, intensive language coursework and my awesome Chinese roommate helped me learn and experience Chinese culture! Due to small class sizes, I could maintain close relationships with Chinese teachers and weekly 1:1 discussion sessions with them were especially helpful in improving my Chinese oratorical skills. It is true that there was not enough time to hang out with my roommate because of homework and internships, but weekend getaway with her was definitely memorable and such intimate gathering helped me learn Chinese slangs that were not in textbooks.

The program director and the staff of the program are family-like and are always ready to listen and help students. When I became sick during the program, all of the staff members not only helped me to receive proper treatments, but also even arranged me with extra study sessions to catch up on the course materials. Also, because of thorough care and instructions of staff members, my worries about safety in Shanghai dissipated as silliness. Due to the warmth and reliability of the director and staff members, I was able to have a great time in Shanghai without concerns.

I wish more elective courses are available in the program. Though I enjoyed Chinese economy elective course, there was no other course options to take in that spring semester.

Due to tight class and internship schedules, there was not enough free time to mingle with Chinese friends. It would be great if there were more time to experience Shanghai and the culture of China.
K

Academic, Professional, and Personal Growth in Shanghai

Studying with CET Shanghai was one of the highlights of my college career. The rigorous language coursework and local roommate program helped me improve my Mandarin skills beyond my expectations, and the staff were incredibly supportive. My internship placement at an international school was a bit different from many of the business- and finance-related positions that many of my classmates held, but it was perfect for my interests and professional goals.

Bus stops and a subway station right off campus made it so convenient to explore the city -- to the local mall for groceries or to catch a movie, to the Bund skyline for touristy pictures and people-watching, and even to the countryside outskirts of Shanghai for a break from the bustle of the city.

This was my first trip overseas, and I tried to take advantage by traveling as much as possible. Shanghai's transportation options include multiple terminals for long-distance buses and trains, as well as two airports, making it a great home base for travel all around mainland China as well as into Hong Kong and Taiwan.

I will always be grateful to CET Shanghai for helping me build strong friendships abroad and for giving me a home away from home.

The English-language electives were useful, but could have held us to higher standards and engaged us to think more critically about Chinese culture and history. A lot of my understanding around those topics actually came through my language class, which required us to conduct regular interviews with our local Chinese roommates.
Samuel

Study Abroad with CET Shanghai Fall 2014

When I first came to Shanghai four years ago for the World Expo, I felt something buzzing in the Pudong air (not the AQI). It read like a template for the globalized future. Global Citizens had converged on this city because Shanghai had proved herself to be a vibrant cultural center unlike any other in the world. As I sat at my desk last Spring in Washington, DC, I thought to myself, "I want to be in China and I want to be back in that in the midst of that development and optimism and thus I found a home at CET Shanghai."
I am proud to say that in Shanghai, I can attend a marriage market in People's Park in the morning, and be at an electronic music festival with 10,000 people on South Bund by night. I am proud to say that I can enjoy a cup of tea and a bit of tranquility in the 600 year-old Yuyuan Garden at breakfast time, hop a train under the Huangpu and be rocketing to the top of the Oriental Pearl Tower for lunch, 15,000 feet up.
After a semester in Shanghai, I have heard more languages than ever before in my life, tried stranger dishes than any Westerner should lay eyes on, and experienced a 5,000 year old culture that opened its arms to me. I have worked among the people who are driving China's growth, I have learned from her brightest minds, and I have forged lasting bonds with the Middle Kingdom.
After studying abroad with CET, I have built a global network of friendships that I hope will last me a lifetime. The connections and experience that I have gained from my internship will help me establish a career in the future. I recognize that mastery of a second language is a lifelong pursuit but after a semester living in China with intensive study, I am proud that I can converse on a deeper level with native people in a language that is not my own.

I really appreciate the reimbursement program, it helped me to get out and visit places around the city. However, I felt that I didn't get as many opportunities as I might have liked to travel to the many other amazing places around China. I recognize that intensive language classes and internships do not leave much extra free time, but for many students though not all, this will be their only time in China. I have found that the best opportunities for spiritual reflection and practical application of my studies have presented themselves while I have been traveling around this incredible country. For example, when I was summiting Huangshan Mountain in Anhui Province on frantic weekend trip I felt the overwhelming beauty and mysticism of China. This experience gained more meaning when was I able to discuss the American electoral system (the subject we were studying back in Shanghai) with a Chinese stranger who sat down next to me on the bus off the mountain. A few three day weekends would really help give one more of these types of opportunities.

About CET Academic Programs

CET Academic Programs is a study abroad organization that has been developing and delivering innovative educational programs abroad since 1982. Originally “China Educational Tours,” CET began operations in Beijing, and today offers a varied portfolio...