The Middlebury program in Beijing, run in conjunction with CET Academic Programs, offers cultural and linguistic immersion through a rigorous curriculum and adherence to the Middlebury Language Pledge. By pledging to speak only the target language while abroad, students will have the best chance of acquiring fluency and actively engaging in the local environment. Participants take an area studies course, a one-on-one content-based tutorial, and two electives. They live with Chinese roommates on the campus of Capital Normal University and may take part in excursions, volunteer work, and campus clubs and activities.
Students looking for more advanced language preparation prior to the start of the spring semester or who want to apply their enhanced language skills after the fall semester may be interested in the January term option in Beijing.
- All course work is conducted entirely in Mandarin
- Students adhere to the Middlebury College Language Pledge
- Housing with a Chinese roommate in dormitories
- Curriculum designed for high intermediate and advanced Chinese language students, featuring one-on-one, and small elective classes
- Cocurricular activities: cooking, ping pong, martial arts, hip hop, bamboo flute, watercolor, etc.