CIEE Accelerated Chinese Language in Shanghai, China

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, CIEE has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Take your beginner, intermediate, or advanced Chinese language skills up at least two levels while you explore Shanghai — China’s largest city by population. Students take courses at CIEE Global Institute - Shanghai. Students enroll in three classes per semester, including two accelerated courses that focus on rapid language acquisition, designed to move students ahead at least two levels in all four Chinese language skills and facilitate intercultural understanding. Those with advanced level Mandarin proficiency may take a Chinese language elective or area studies course taught in Chinese. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.

• Learn about Chinese business international relations, political science, history, and more in English or Chinese.
  • Get off the tourist track as you explore Shanghai and beyond, and practice Chinese in authentic situations.
  • Live with a Chinese host family or on campus with a Chinese roommate.

Updated refund & cancellation policy for flexible, secure booking due to COVID-19

In the unusual event CIEE has to cancel your summer ’20, fall '20, January '21, or spring '21 study abroad or internship program due to a health, safety, or security concern, you’re covered with Program Assurance Advantage.

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Andrea

ACL Spring Semester

I highly recommend this program if you want to improve your Mandarin by a 10th fold. The teachers and tutors work one-on-one to provide the best educational lessons everyday catered to the speaking and writing level of the students. You must be really passionate about learning the language and dedicating many hours of reviewing Chinese characters and studying for quizzes etc. In just three months of the program, I went from Beginner II level to finishing Intermediate II.

Curtis

Experienced, Organized and Relational.

I had a great experience in the ACL program at CIEE Shanghai! My classes were extremely rigorous and very challenging academically. But they were taught by a great teacher who kept us afloat in the midst of the hardship. I really appreciated the variety of ways in which we interacted with our material and learned so much on our class field trips. Additionally, I was impressed by the balanced perspective my teacher had. She not only kept us accountable to a standard of excellence, but also cared about us personally, and created relationships with us as individuals. I will always remember the relational and encouraging nature of CIEE Shanghai.

Further enforcement of the language pact, as well as increased, specific and often feedback to the student on their progress would improve this program.
Jaime

Intense but Amazing

I've always wanted to study abroad. The question was where? After deciding to minor in Chinese Language, CIEE"s Accelerated Chinese Language (ACL) program became the clear answer. I didn't really know what to expect going into the program. I knew it would be hard and lots of work considering it was guaranteeing 2 semesters of Chinese in 1 study abroad semester.

I absolutely loved the class. It was Monday through Thursday from 8am to 12pm, and my instructor was beyond amazing. Before coming abroad I studied for maybe 1.5 years in school. The Chinese teacher spoke only Chinese and taught only in Chinese, which was extremely difficult in the beginning, but I eventually got used to it. I ended up loving class. My professor was kind and understood how our brains worked when learning a second language. She used old words to teach us new words and structures. I noticed a drastic improvement in my listening abilities and while I still struggle sometimes with responding appropriately, at least I can get most of my thoughts across now.

The one negative thing I would have to say about this program is the loads of homework and projects we have in addition to class. I truly believe that even having more class would have been better than all that homework. I would sometimes spend another 6 hours just on homework every day. In this way, it limited my ability to go out and actually explore the city. I wanted to experience Shanghai and all it has to offer but was severely restrained because I wanted an "A" in the class and felt that in order to get that I needed to sacrifice my time to explore. But I think towards the end of the semester I learned to adjust and the teachers gave less work so that I was able to see some of Shanghai. Despite spending the first 2 months pretty much holed up in the dorms doing homework, I was eventually able to go out and actually USE the Chinese I was learning in class to help me in talking with the locals, ordering food, ordering train tickets, etc.

Overall it was an incredible experience. You have a long spring break that gives you time to travel. Some friends and I backpacked neighboring countries and didn't feel too pressed for time while travelling. The support CIEE gives you is also great. You can always find someone to talk to if you feel you're struggling or falling behind in a class. They understand that you came here to not only learn but explore, and they try to do everything they can to make sure you have a well-rounded study abroad experience.

Just the homework loads. I met many students who were very hard-working and still struggled with the amount of homework. I think we learn a lot more by going out and experiencing than being stuck in a library or dorm room the rest of the day completing worksheets. I LOVED class though. It was taught very well and I would rather have 6 or 8 hours of class than the homework we had.