CET Shanghai

four girls in Shanghai posing with peace sign
four girls in Shanghai posing with peace sign

Explore Shanghai and learn about Chinese culture in one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Asia. CET Shanghai students are able to pursue a diverse selection of English-taught electives, including the opportunity to experience a career abroad with a custom internship placement. This is a great option for beginners as well as those who are already well-versed with the Chinese language. By living with a local roommate, you'll experience what it's like to truly immerse yourself in the culture and study abroad in China.

• Earn up to 15 academic credits
  • English-taught electives at Donghua University
  • Experiential learning outside the classroom
  • Custom internship placement
  • Live with a local roommate

Gabriela

CET in Shanghai

Before this program, I had never been to China and spoke no Chinese. I was the only student on my program from the University of Florida because UF does not directly transfer over credits from CET programs. I chose this program because of the internship opportunities, the location and the living situation (and I am so glad that I did!) I really enjoyed the courses I took at Donghua and my internship was a very unique experience that I believe led to my success in securing another internship when I returned. The staff on this program are so so helpful and the program is structured in a way that really allows all of the students and local roommates to meet and get to know each other. I made such great connections and felt that I grew so much personally, academically and professionally through all of the opportunities that this program allowed me.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have done a Fall or Spring semester to spend more time there!
Oscar

Experience of a lifetime

I always knew I wanted to study abroad in China. Being from a major city, Shanghai was the obvious choice. The city is famed for its modernity, architectural beauty, and international/metropolitan vibe.

I was immediately drawn to the CET Program. Most study abroad programs involve either coursework or an internship. The CET program combines both. Unlike most programs, CET specializes in finding an internship that is both educational and interesting. This summer I had the unique honor of interning at the Propaganda Poster Art Center, and if it were not for CET I would have not had the ability to intern at such an interesting location.

Classes at CET are difficult, but rewarding. The faculty are the best in their respective fields, and all are great professors. They are both intelligent and engaging. As far as learning Mandarin goes, every day is an adventure and the Chinese professors are all special and loving in their own way. Professor Rottman, the academic advisor is an incredible resource and mentor.

CET also has a unique reimbursement policy. They will reimburse up to 350 RMB a day (70 RMB per excursion) for cultural activities within Shanghai. This reimbursement policy encourages students to explore and engage with Shanghai.

Overall, what makes CET special is the people. The faculty, staff, and students are all excited about learning both in and out of the classroom. I highly recommend CET to any student looking for a holistic study abroad experience.

I myself will be applying for Summer 2020!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I had no idea that Shanghai had such a vibrant salsa scene!
Rachel

An Amazing Challenge

This program presents a lot of challenges, academically, socially, personally, and professionally. However, depending on how you work through and look at challenges, this program can either be discouraging or deeply gratifying. Personally, I dealt differently with each category of challenges. In each obstacle there was hidden a lesson, an opportunity, or a chance for growth, and in each gift there was a difficulty, a misunderstanding, or something wholly unexpected. I found this true across my academic, personal, and professional experiences.
No matter how you deal with challenges, your Chinese will greatly improve being abroad. Even if you don't work very hard at it, or go out of your way to use it (though i recommend you do) it will improve consistently and drastically. I was really pushed to improve and constantly practice my language skills. The class met daily and often had a lot of homework. I spent hours everyday working on reading, writing, speaking, and listening solely for my course work. However, the positive side of that was that my Chinese language ability improved drastically throughout my time abroad. I found every day that something I was learning in class was applicable to my daily life in Shanghai. I could immediately put to use what I was learning, which felt deeply gratifying. Additionally, living in China pushed me to use Chinese daily – whether with my roommate, other students, store-clerks, or strangers – and it was often both rewarding and difficult to navigate social situations with my limited linguistic ability. I was frequently frustrated and disappointed in myself for being unable to express ideas or intentions effectively, but this ultimately motivated me to learn and engage with the language even more.
Personally, I had to act more self-sufficiently and independently and really have faith and trust in my abilities. Daily I encountered difficulties adapting to a new culture and environment, even up to my last day. It was difficult to think positively about this. It was great having a Chinese roommate, and the other American students were all very supportive, but really creating a space that felt like home was a definite challenge, and one I never fully solved. That said, I still loved the city and was always excited to explore, but I never fully settled into life in Shanghai.
However, through all my time abroad, the most valuable thing I learned is that anything is possible if I trust myself and take the leap. The hardest and scariest thing about going abroad for me was getting on the plane. That isn't to say I didn't have difficulties, because there is a lot that felt or seemed impossible about being abroad: little things like buying clean supplies or ordering food in a restaurant. For several weeks I felt like everything was just out of reach, and there were times I wanted to come home. There were also amazing moments, great friends, wonderful strangers, and a unique beauty in deeply realizing that every second, across the world, everyone is really just doing their best.
The same can be said of life in general – good days and bad days – and, in a very literal way, being abroad was my life, every day, and with that came all manner of sorrow and satisfaction. But the hardest thing by far was the fear and uncertainty as I was leaving and transitioning from one home to another. In that liminal suspended space, I felt listless and lonelier than ever, my mind thinking over every worst-case scenario. But once I landed, none of those horrible things came true. I was met welcomingly and warmly, and in the end, I realized that all I had to do was get on the plane and after that, I just had to deal with things as they came. Going abroad has made me feel like I can do anything, no matter how difficult, as long as I can find the courage to get on the plane.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I think if I did this program again, I would have put less focus on my academics and tried to enjoy myself more. Shanghai is a vast and beautiful city with so much to offer, and I never felt like I explored or experienced it as much as I would have liked. This program is very academically rigorous, and I found it easy to get lost in assignments and studying, almost as a way of avoiding everything that scared me about the city. But in retrospect, that was that wrong approach, and I really regret no embracing and facing more difficulties and differences, and going out my way to find them. I think generally making time to explore and enjoy yourself makes for a very valuable and memorable abroad experience.
Cindy

An Incredible Experience

I spent the summer of 2019 participating in the CET: Shanghai program and it has been one of my best decisions. It was an incredible experience, allowing me to further my personal and professional goals.

As a Chinese heritage student I wanted to learn more about my own culture and language and CET’s Chinese course delivered. Having the language placement exam at the very beginning allows for students of every level in Chinese to be placed in their appropriate level class. This allows for students to be challenged in their language study but not be too overwhelmed. Having language class everyday may be more than what you’re used to in your home university but everyone leaves the program with significantly better Mandarin skills. Something I’d recommend is that if you don’t think your placement results were accurate to speak with the teachers and the director of the department. I switched my Chinese class two times before finding the right fit.
To build cultural understanding, CET also reimburses up to 70 yuan/day for students to explore Shanghai and participate in different cultural activities. This allowed for my friends and I to watch a lot of Chinese movies and visit museums throughout the program.

In terms of professional development, the internship component of the program is great for gaining international work experience. You can learn a lot about how different industries operate in China and what kind of opportunity exists there. The internship search process is hectic but eventually everyone finds their internship. Speaking from my own experience, I think the quality of the internship placement of the program is its largest weakness. I did not have a great experience working at my first placement because of the lack of professionalism and respect from my supervisor. My second internship placement was better in comparison but I wasn’t given very meaningful work. I would recommend future students to really think about what kind of internships they want and to remain firm. It’s okay to say no to companies that offer you a position.

Despite some challenges, I had an incredible summer in Shanghai. It's such a fun city to live in and there is always something to do! The connections I made with other U.S. and local students continue to carry on and made participating in the program so meaningful.

I would strengthen the quality of the internship placements of the program. Myself, and many of my friends all agree that a lot of the work given to us interns were busywork and not very meaningful. From my own experience, I don't think CET should continue their partnership with my first internship placement site in the future. The sheer lack of respect and professionalism from the supervisor should not be accepted. The company did not fulfill what was previously agreed upon during the interview process and the supervisor had no interest in mentoring its interns.
Jack

You Won't Regret Going

I did the CET Summer in Shanghai program at Donghua University, and it's safe to say my experience started out pretty rough. My first connecting flight was delayed, so I was forced to change flights. Rather than arriving on time, a day before the first day of orientation, I arrived at the Shanghai airport at 4 am in the morning on the day of the first day of orientation. To make matters worse, my suitcase - which had literally all of my clothes in it - never arrived. Luckily several people on my flight, who spoke english, experienced the same problem, and we were able to meet each other and find help at the baggage claim help desk. The rest of the first day was just as rough. I completely bombed the placement exam, as I was super jet lagged, and I had no fresh clothes to change into. Anyway, I was able to buy clothes at the mall, and my suitcase was eventually found and shipped to Donghua University 4 days later, and CET was super helpful in getting it to me. Outside of this, my experience with the CET Summer Shanghai program was fantastic. This is a great program, and it is your best chance to test if you are capable of living in a major city in China.

Classes:
Whether you are going in with no Mandarin skills, or you are an advanced speaker, you will finish the program impressed with how much you learned or improved. Having language class everyday can be tiring, but the professors are amazing and make class fun. There is also a wide range of interesting electives to take. I took the Chinese cinema course, and it was one of the most interesting classes I've taken. The internship experience is also one of a kind, and is something you could not obtain without going through CET. You will be very busy during the summer program, but it is a great way to test and improve your organizational skills.

Activities:
CET also has several great opportunities almost every weekend to explore famous areas in Shanghai, but you can always do things on your own. My favorite activity was going to the movies every weekend with my roommate and playing basketball. CET also has an overnight trip to the countryside. I had my reservations at first, but it is great way to make friends. You will spend most of the time riding on a bus, but the creek crawl and white water rafting are still fun.

Roommates:
Another thing is that the roommates are all amazing and very helpful. I was nervous at first because my roommate could not understand me at times, but you will get over these language barriers. At the end your roommates English will be better and your Chinese will be better. I can't emphasize how important it is to practice speaking Mandarin with your roommate. I was embarrassed at first, and I regret not trying it more at the beginning of the program.

Weather:
One complaint is the weather is unbearable at times. Highs of 118 and extremely humid, so bring very light and breathable clothes (as much linen stuff as possible). It can also rain for weeks without stopping. There was a typhoon at the end of my program, which prevent everyone from flying home for a few days.

Dorms:
My only other complaint is that Dorm Building 3 is a little rough. The rooms aren't the cleanest and the power in your room can occasionally turn off. I once woke up drenched in sweat at 5 am because I lost power in the night, so my AC stopped working. But there is usually someone at the front desk in the lobby who can help you. Also there is a woman who will do your laundry for you on the first floor of the building. You will have to use a card that CET will give you to use hot water in your shower. It comes with 150 yuan on it, and a 6 minute shower will use about 4 yuan. Some people never had money taken off their card, but I ran out of money by the end of the program. Taking ice cold showers sucks, so conserve your shower money and take fast showers. Also the sink water is not purified, so you should get used to brushing your teeth with bottled water. It is recommended for you, but your roommate will just use the sink water. You can pay to have your sheets and room cleaned as well. Dorm building 2 is much nicer, and you are lucky if you stay in the hotel, but I heard the wifi wasn't very reliable there. I had no problems using wifi or VPN in my room for the most part.

Dining Halls:
The dinning hall food was decent, but there are plenty of restaurants near the school. Cafeteria 1 has two floors, but the best food is on the second floor of Cafeteria 2. I recommend getting breakfast from 1 and eating lunch and dinner at 2. Cafe 1 is much cheaper. Breakfast there is around 1-5 yuan and lunch and dinner will be like 12. Cafe 2 is more expensive. A plate of dumplings is around 15 yuan. I recommend bringing as much money as possible because you likely need 100-200 yuan every week for food on campus and towards the end of the program, you can only add money to your meal card 2 days out of the week from 10:30 to 1. You will also need around another 200 every week for commuting and eating at work. Donghua also has a basketball court and track, but not really a gym. If you want to exercise you'll have to get a membership at a gym nearby .

Overall, I think this program is 100% worth going on. By the end, you won't feel like a tourist, instead, you will feel like an actual citizen of Shanghai.

There's nothing about this program that needs improving.
Miengyuh

Choose Shanghai

When I was first deciding what study abroad I wanted to go on, I made a checklist of everything that I was looking for. CET: Shanghai was one of the only programs that fulfilled all the requirements that I was looking for, and in short, I was not let down. The main reason that I chose this program was because I believed that I would be able to get the most immersive experience in going abroad with having a local roommate, taking classes on campus, and interning in the international city. With all of these opportunities I was able to really get a feel for what exactly Shanghai was - besides the pearl tower. My favorite aspect of this program, and the reason why it made my study abroad experience different was because it was a program that was not directly associated with my school, and while I went to Shanghai to experience another culture and gain global experience, I was not expecting to learn more about the States as well. Being a meeting point between meeting people across the globe, but also across the United States is really what I enjoyed the most. Being abroad and making the memories that I did are experiences that I wish could last a lifetime, but for now I am saying see you later. I hope that others are able to seize this opportunity like I was and realize how great Shanghai is.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
While in my internship for this program, I was assigned a project that I was not happy with, and after gritting my teeth and doing my best I eventually talking to my supervisor. I spent the whole week building up the courage to confront the problem and voice my concerns - because as a foreign part-time intern I did not want to exhibit that I was ungrateful for the experience. However, once I did, my attitude towards the project that I was working on improved 100% and I became more motivated to execute at the highest level.
Benjamin

CET Shanghai: Success is offered, it's up to you to pursue it.

CET Shanghai was an incredible program where I improved my language, advanced my career, and explored Chinese history and culture. CET in particular made this possible by providing reimbursements for cultural experiences, support for all living necessities (and more), coordinated events such as movie nights and tours, strong courses with great professors, and a Chinese roommate to learn from locals. One specific note is the strength of Chinese class with CET. They provide courses in every level. Most beneficial to me was the weekly one-on-one class we have with our professor. This gave me a time to ask questions about everything from the textbook material to my life in China. As well, the professors have great methods to teach language effectively such as repeating useful vocabulary and skipping words that aren't as common. This helped me spend time where would be most useful as I studied.

This program offers you the ability to succeed and truly gain immeasurable experience, but it is up to you to take this challenge on.
Nicky

The Perfect Way to Take Your First Step Into China

I spent the summer of 2019 in Shanghai participating in CET's study abroad plus internship program. While I was there I not only had the incredible opportunity to study Chinese culture, but CET also helped me find an internship site that allowed me to really experience China first-hand and helped me improve my resume. The CET staff in Shanghai supported me through every step of the process and were available 24/7 to give me and my classmates detailed instructions and advice. Going to a foreign country for any length of time is challenging and going to a foreign country to study or work for months can be very scary, but CET never failed to make me feel safe and secure while I was in Shanghai. My overall opinion of the CET Shanghai program is that it perfectly blended education, career training, and fun to provide me a summer I'll never forget.

The pollution can be very bad and by the end of my trip, I was really starting to feel the effects of the poor air quality. I would recommend that travels talk to their doctor before going so that they can know how to best take care of their health while abroad.
Ellen

Fall 2018 CET Shanghai

My overall experience with CET Shanghai was extremely positive. The program provides a variety of opportunities to engage with Chinese language and culture and the staff is very supportive and helpful to student needs. Jeremy and Nova are always able and willing to lend their help and support. The program is academically rigorous compared to some other study abroad programs, so it's important to be prepared to put in the work. Daily Chinese classes are especially time consuming and require a good deal of preparation outside the classroom, but if you put in the effort you will be able to significantly improve your Chinese language skills. The professors are all extremely knowledgable and personable. Weekend trips and excursions provide ample opportunity for students to experience Chinese culture. There are also two breaks (one 5 days and another 10 days) where students can do independent travel.

1) More time travel
2) Chinese class is too early
Carli

China: Truly A Unique Experience To All

As I waived goodbye to my mother for the sixth time through security, I found myself wondering if I made the right choice to study abroad in Shanghai, China the fall semester of my Senior year. Reflecting back on my last semester and the cities I explored with friends that I will never forget, I know China was the best place for me to grow and mature.

Throughout my time I wandered to over nine cities, met endless individuals from various countries around the globe and attended seven Christmas Markets. While I could go on and on about my adventures in China to the Great Wall, Terra-cotta Warriors or talking to the locals, I want to focus on the adaptability of China to ones unique needs and desires.

Shanghai is home to over 25 million citizens. Thus, whatever you are looking for you can find. You will find a plethora of entertainment, both local and global artist, ranges of cuisines (except their Mexican food could use some work) and more stores to purchase gifts and clothes at then you can visit. The trip is 100% customizable to fit your needs. If you want to travel to Tibet, you can. If you want to experience a range of temples, you can! If you want to stuff your face with as many (strange) foods as you can find, you can.

Moving forward I have made plans with my roommate to visit the United States next year, I have applied to jobs throughout China, and am planning a trip for my family to Chengdu to experience the Sichuan Opera and the Sichuan spicy peppercorn. Many of these plans will take many months to complete, so for now I am sharing my experiences with those who are curious and debuting all myths people hold of China.

On multiple occasions other students from the United States received special treatment. I found the inability of directors and professors to stand up to students complaining about the workload unprofessional. In the future I would remind them that CET is an academic program and these students are young adults preparing for a career, treating them as elementary students is not helpful for their future.
Max

Semester with CET Shanghai

I had a great time with CET Shanghai and would recommend it to anybody excited about exploration, looking for work experience, all the while still receiving academic credit. Shanghai is a lively city with lots of opportunities. CET does a great job of connecting students with the competitive internships in all different kinds of fields within the city. Working an internship and taking a full course load can be daunting if students try to do too much but generally speaking it is easy to balance internships and academics. Teachers and faculty provide students with lots of different ways to learn about China and Shanghai through tours and weekend trips but students also have the autonomy to go out and explore places on their own. CET is located in the heart of Shanghai at Donghua university and it is easy to travel around Shanghai.

Michelle

CET Shanghai Alumna

CET Shanghai was truly a remarkable experience. The city itself, with traces of a colonial past and proof of top-notch city planning and execution, is vibrant and modern. And despite Shanghai’s progressiveness in recent years, the city still retains some of its old Chinese heritage. With its eclectic mix of tradition and modern, east and west, Shanghai is dynamic and a rather alluring location to study abroad.

With regards to the study abroad program, it really kept me on my toes. Being a full-time student with classes Mondays through Fridays, a part-time intern, and a full-time tourist, there’s always something to do and never a dull moment. The CET staff are all superstars and works hard to ensure that everyone is well-adjusted to their new living situation. The teachers are caring and extremely understanding when it comes to assignments, quizzes, and exams. Not to say that the classes aren’t intensive or challenging because they were (especially the Mandarin-language class) but in a relaxed and supportive kind of way. Moreover, my local roommate was wonderful and always took time out of her busy schedule to help with homework, show me around the city, and engage in endless hours of conversation.

What appealed to me most about CET Shanghai was the internship component. On top of having international work experience that adds significant value on any resume, the internship really forces you to explore and get a taste of work and daily life in Shanghai. At my internship I got to know some of the locals and ex-pats working there full-time, and they were so welcoming and wonderful as they would invite me to professional workshops, meals, and even some authentic Chinese fun at a KTV club afterwork. In other words, the internship really enriches the study abroad experience because it diversifies the types of social interactions and experiences you’ll have outside those of your American classmates and the local Chinese roommates who you dorm with.

Overall, CET Shanghai is a well-rounded program. It allowed me to maximize for what I felt like a brief period of time I was abroad, and it was genuinely an unforgettable and transformative experience where I learned so much about myself. I highly recommend it to anyone thinking about studying abroad in China.

David

My study abroad trip to Shanghai

Before I left for Shanghai, CET promises the stars, they promised a summer study program at a rigorous university, Chinese language and elective classes taught by highly skilled proffesors, as well as a job internship in the heart of finincial capital of China. As the old saying goes, if something sound too good to be true, it probably is. But just 2 months after the experience, I can safely say that, if anything, CET was underselling the experience. This trip was a tranformative experience for me, as not only did my language skills improve , but I also gained the confidence and affirmation that I could actually use them to live, work , and in China, as well as gaining a global perspective on how a vastly different culture views and engages Work and education related mores and traditions. Studying abroad, and this program in particular, is something I cannot recommend hard enough to anyone/

Ramsey

Great experience with CET in Shanghai!

I studied abroad through CET Shanghai in Fall 2017. I had an amazing experience, learning a lot about the language and culture and truly growing as a person through my time there. There were three main aspects that I really loved about the program, being the language, internship, and local roommates.

My Chinese language skills grew immensely throughout my time abroad. I honestly don't think there's any better way to learn a language than to actually be immersed in the culture and have to speak it daily, which is exactly what I got in Shanghai. Though it was difficult at times, especially when you needed help or guidance from locals who spoke no English, I feel confident that my language would not be where it is without going to Shanghai.

The internship experience that I got through CET was amazing. I could not have asked for a better placement. My internship provided me with amazing responsibility, skill-growth, and networking opportunities. I'm still in touch with my supervisor and definitely think I could use him and other people I met through the internship in the future for job searches. Though I had an amazing experience with the internship, I must admit not everyone had quite the same experience, and it's definitely important to make sure your internship is a good fit for you once you get there.

The final aspect of CET Shanghai that I found awesome was the local roommates. My roommate (and pretty much every roommate in the program) was absolutely amazing. She was so sweet and totally let me see a side of China that I would not have seen otherwise. All of the roommates in the program were amazing and I think it definitely helped me to assimilate and enjoy my experience.

I was extremely happy with my time in CET and could not have asked for a better abroad experience. However, it is important to say that it was difficult at times. The culture in China is very different than in the US, and though you can find outlets, at some points I definitely felt like an outsider. CET does a great job supporting you, but it's important to go into the program with an open mind and an understanding that living in China is not easy and definitely takes a great deal of maturity and acceptance of the culture around you. That being said, I think it's totally doable for anyone with that mindset and is a great opportunity to learn about the world and about yourself.

I do wish there was more opportunity to travel. Having class 5 days a week helped me to learn a lot, but it didn't provide much opportunity for exploration across Asia. If you're going definitely try to use your weekends efficiently to travel throughout China, but there honestly just wasn't a lot of time many of the weekends.
Maxwell

CET Shanghai

The overall experience was excellent. The best part of the program was the people, followed by the location. Shanghai is a world hub that acts as one of the most interesting international cities in the world. While the nightlife in Shanghai is enough for the summer/semester, the options for travel in Southeast Asia are overwhelming. CET does a great job preparing its students for taking on the enigma that is Shanghai with its rigorous mandarin classes and other electives. Be prepared to get up early and work hard as the teachers hired by CET are no joke and have one goal in enhancing your Chinese whether you are a beginner or attempting fluency. If you are looking for a challenge and another option besides a typical European boondoggle, Shanghai could be the option for you.

Program can be improved by reducing overall price and enhancing the food options for students around campus.

Location:
73 F / 41 F
Airports:
Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport
( SHA )

Shanghai is the largest city in mainland China and in the top 10 of most populous cities in the world. With the sheer amount of people that have relocated to Shanghai, you see a mix of different cultural influences, particularly in the architecture. Whether you are looking to travel or move to Shanghai, you will have plenty of opportunities but this city won't be slowing down on their growth anytime soon.

About CET Academic Programs

CET Academic Programs is a study abroad organization that has been developing and delivering innovative educational programs abroad since 1982. Originally “China Educational Tours,” CET began operations in Beijing, and today offers a varied portfolio...