Come explore Costa Rica’s diverse and imitable ecosystems and gain comprehensive insight into its conservation through theory, hands-on exposure, and direct experimentation.
Through rigorous coursework, and unique field opportunities including two extensive field trips to Costa Rica’s varied ecosystems and the Panamanian coast, studying abroad in Monteverde acquaints you with practical biological problems associated with agricultural development, eco-tourism, and grassroots conservation efforts in developing countries.
Study abroad in Costa Rica and you will:
- Gain hands-on experience through an independent research project
- Participate in two, two and a half week field trips, including a trip to Panama to observe marine diversity in the coral reefs off the Bocas del Toro Islands
- Live in a biological station surrounded by the Monteverde Cloud Forest
- Get to known rural Costa Rica during a one-month homestay with a local family
View Program Information
- Tuition and housing
- Pre-departure advising and optional on-site airport meet and greet
- Full-time program leadership and support
- Field trips and cultural activities
- CIEE iNext travel card, which provides insurance and other travel benefits
CIEE also offers several scholarships for participants; please see website for full details.