CIEE Sustainability + the Environment in Monteverde

Watch your Spanish skills bloom in Monteverde as you dig into today’s pressing environmental issues. Take four required content courses focused on Costa Rican history, environmental studies, and sustainability, as well as a Spanish language course at your placement level at CIEE Global Institute – Monteverde. Learn in the classroom and field, and travel to remote parts of Costa Rica and Panama that most visitors never see. You’ll be rewarded with unique and life-changing experiences, new knowledge and skills, and inspiration to carry the sustainability movement forward. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.

• Explore alternative energies and learn about how they impact communities and biodiversity.
  • Get to know an island fishing village that is a model for sustainable fishing practices.
  • Intern with a local leader and apply the principles of conservation and sustainability to real-life situations.

Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship to Ireland!

Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship is a unique international program to develop change leaders who make an impact on their community and the world.

This fully funded summer 2021 study abroad program to Dublin, Ireland is developed for students of color with special emphasis on leadership, social justice, agitation for positive change and cross-cultural understanding.

CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Victoria

Summer 2016 Semester Review

I had never travelled outside of the United States before and Costa Rica was the perfect place to begin my travels. Not only did I learn about the culture, the course itself was very insightful and I gained a lot of knowledge from it. The professors for the course were phenomenal. They really cared about the students and made sure we felt comfortable and were having fun the entire time. This program and the people in it changed my life. I don't regret anything and I appreciate everything they provided for me. I would recommend this program to anyone who is interested in the Costa Rican culture and learning how to live sustainably!

I love being in a home stay the most. I prefer to live with a local family rather than staying at a hotel. Staying with a family really opened my eyes to how the local people live and helped me learn more about the culture and language.