CET Photography at FAMU (Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts)

Want to devote a full semester to photography, study with a master photography educator, and live in a city that's a stunning backdrop for your art? CET Photography students absorb Czech culture and artistic influences and develop their photography portfolio by taking courses—and using cutting-edge resources—at FAMU, the Film and Television School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague. The CET Photography program is open to students with an academic background in photography.

Olivia

CET FAMU Spring 2018

One of the best parts about this study abroad program is that you live in apartments instead of dorms. Apartments ranged from 2 to 5 students, but the apartments with more students had the space to accommodate them. Since we were enrolled at CET and at FAMU we had classes in both buildings, but they were only 15 minutes away from our apartments by tram. All of the CET FAMU students lived in the same apartment building which made it easy to collaborate and spend time together, but we also quickly became immersed in Czech culture because we had to visit grocery stores and use public transit on our own!

CET provides students in this program with a budget for film and other supplies for projects, which is not only very kind of them but also makes the program accessible for students from all socio-economic backgrounds. We worked on weekly assignments for the first half of the semester and spent the second half of the semester working on our final projects which were displayed in a public gallery for a week. This program includes working with both film and digital cameras, so bring one of each if you have them!

Other highlights include very kind staff members and incredible optional weekend trips to small Czech towns and even Munich!

Communication between CET and FAMU was difficult at times, but this is also understandable because education credits function differently in America and in the Czech Republic. Some items in our apartment (washer, dishwasher, fridge, etc.) book occasionally but they were usually fixed in a timely manner. Living in a triple room was a bit difficult, but I enjoyed my roommates.
Rose

Spring 2018 CET Photography in Prague @ FAMU

I spent the spring term in Prague studying with CET and at FAMU. FAMU is one of the leading art schools in Prague and many alums go on to do incredible things. There is a very tight-knit artist community in Prague, especially when it comes to filmmakers and photographers and studying in Prague at FAMU gave me a sense of that and an access point into that world.

The program is great in that you are required to take several classes with a core group of CET photography students. In my case there were 10 of us CET Photography students so we had 3 main classes together lead by CET. These classes were terrific. I loved our Fine Art Photography course taught by Stepanka Stein. She was an incredible professor and is a very successful photographer as well. In this course we had several small assignments in the beginning of the term, and the later half of the semester was devoted to a larger project of our choosing to be hung in our final exhibition, and the making of a photo book. In addition to regular class meetings we would often visit galleries and exhibitions around Prague as a class, and had several technical lighting seminars (with professional commercial photographers, interesting locations, models, make-up artists, etc.). This class was by far my favorite part of the program and in the end I produced work that I am proud of.

Additionally, we were able to enroll in photography classes at FAMU. This was initially very exciting, however, the system for enrolling was a bit all over the place and therefore we photography students did not have our schedules solidified for at least a month after arriving in Prague. For me, this was a bit of a challenge as I like to have a schedule and stick to it. The courses at FAMU were very different than what I was used to as an art student studying at a Liberal Arts college. I signed up for 3 FAMU electives. None of them had specific assignments but were more spaces for students and their professors to come together to talk about their work and process. I think that is a great system if that is what you're used to it, however, as someone being thrown into these classes not knowing what to expect, it was difficult for me to understand what was expected of me. These classes did prove to be a great way to meet Czech students. It was also very interesting to take classes with FAMU professors as most, if not all of them, are successful photographers and teaching is more of a side gig. Therefore, I was introduced to a lot of well known artists and able to consult with them.

The living situation was terrific. Apartments were clean, furnished with the basic necessities and I had a great experience with my American roommates and my Czech buddy. My apartment was in Praha 7, a terrific neighborhood with easy transportation to the city center, several beautiful parks, great cafes and bars, and lots of art. I could not have asked for a better place to live.

I definitely think the communication and expectations between FAMU and CET could have been improved. I felt like a bit of a burden in some of my classes, and while the teachers in my FAMU courses were accommodating it was difficult to be thrown into their studio courses second semester as FAMU courses generally run year long.

Additionally, I wish CET had organized more events for students, more required excursions, dinners, or places for students from photo, film and the other Prague programs to come together. I definitely felt that it was difficult to make friends in the beginning just because I didn't see people that often and it wasn't until the end of the program that I really began to spend time with people and felt like I had met and gotten to know people. Especially, there was a lot of down time which I think could have been used more effectively by CET and our photography program. I wish we had done more gallery visits, excursions to take photos or workshops as a group.
Nicole

Spring 2013 Semester in Prague

During my spring 2013 semester, I studied photography with CET's program in Prague. What I really loved and appreciated was the small scale of the class sizes, and the individual attention we received from our professors and mentors. It was great that they also gave us the freedom to create photographs in the specific style we were drawn to, rather than following a strict set of assignment guidelines. I had the opportunity to experiment extensively in the darkroom with alternative photographic processes that led me to explore new ways of developing my artistic practice.

CET accommodated their students wonderfully, housing us in spacious apartments, and making sure our transition to the new country went as smoothly as possible. They hosted many events and dinners so we could all get acquainted with each other, and implemented a great "Czech Buddy" system - where local Czech students lived with CET students and helped them adjust to their new environment, as well as where to go to have fun.

Registering and choosing our photography electives at the local university (FAMU), was a bit hectic and confusing. Maybe creating an easier system for this process will help future students.

About CET Academic Programs

CET Academic Programs is a study abroad organization that has been developing and delivering innovative educational programs abroad since 1982. Originally “China Educational Tours,” CET began operations in Beijing, and today offers a varied portfolio...