CIEE Liberal Arts in Santiago, Dominican Republic

CIEE Liberal Arts in Santiago, Dominican Republic

Significantly improve your Spanish language skills while gaining insight into the realities of life in the developing world of the Dominican Republic.

In Santiago, you’ll immerse yourself in Dominican life both on and off campus, through a combination of intensive coursework, homestays, volunteer opportunities, and a variety of cultural activities and excursions. From coursework in language, politics, regional literature, and art, to rural work retreats, study abroad in the Dominican Republic offers you the unique opportunity to not only learn about the country’s society and culture, but become a participant in them.

North America » Dominican Republic
Spanish
Letters of Recommendation
Language Requirement
The program fee includes:

- Tuition and housing
- Pre-departure advising and optional on-site airport meet and greet
- Full-time program leadership and support
- Field trips and cultural activities
- CIEE iNext travel card which provides insurance and other travel benefits

CIEE also offers a wide variety of scholarships for participants; see website for details.

Nora
Campbell, California
Santa Clara University

Best time of my life!

I loved loved my study abroad experience in the Dominican Republic! My professors were awesome and taught me a lot about Domican history and cultural. My host mom was the best, she was very welcoming and helpful. The CIEE staff were awesome! They were always available and willing to help with class enrollment issues or whatever else we needed. They took us on the best excursions ever. I will never forget the day the CIEE staff took us to Cayo Arena or to the 27 Charcos. I literally felt like I lived in paradise. On the weekends my friend and I went to different beaches and I often went to the beautiful countryside with my host family.

I won't change anything. It was the best time of my life!

Sophia
Morristown, New Jersey
Princeton University

Best decision I've made!

Choosing to study abroad in the second largest city in the Dominican Republic with CIEE was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Dominican people are warm and friendly, and the culture is so vibrant, I couldn't stop eating, drinking, and dancing! Though the difficulty level of the academics was not very comparable to the American university I was coming from, the difficulty of adapting to a new environment, and taking all of my classes in Spanish, made up for it. Furthermore, the trips and rural work retreats offered by the CIEE program were some of the best memories I have. The Dominican Republic has so many beautiful places to offer, we were able to go to Cayo Arena, a small island off of the north coast with beautiful sites for snorkeling, and Samana, a city on the west coast, thriving with animals that live off its cliffs and in its caves. During the weekend work retreats, leaving the urban city to climb miles of rolling hills was always a fresh of breath air. The people we worked and lived with appreciated every second of our time, and I will never forget the Canadian woman that we met who had adopted seven Dominican children and raised them as her own. The stories of some of the people I met their are unforgettable. While this may sound like an experience anyone in the DR can get, I have to thank CIEE for the program it put together and the staff and management that made the program so successful. Lynne Guitar, the director of the program, is a loving and fun professional, with a passion for Dominican people and culture. She was always available and willing to stop any work she was doing to attend to the needs to the students, and it is clear that she loves doing what she does. All of the staff, in fact, always made me feel at home. I really built a family with the people involved, and more so, with my home-stay family, with whom they did a great job placing me. Ultimately, I built relationships that will last me my whole life and made memories that will stay vivid in my mind for forever. The four months, one semester, that I spent in the Dominican Republic, caused me to return two times in the following year to do thesis research, and was the reason for a final move to the island post-graduation. Ms Guitar helped me find a job teaching English at the same university I studied at for the first year, and now I am currently living in Santiago and teaching in a bilingual middle school. I owe it all to CIEE.

Honestly, I can't think of something I would change about the program. If anything, I would change something about the culture of the Dominican Republic and the race relations between Dominicans and Haitians. However, this is due to a very tense and complicated history, and CIEE does a great job of preparing students for this by sending them articles before hand to read up on the situation, as well as an on-site orientation meeting once in the country.

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world