IES Abroad London - Theater Studies

Engage in Britain’s rich historical and contemporary theatrical tradition through theater and drama courses. In your core curriculum, you analyze the artistic, financial, and professional structures that influence theater in Britain, with an emphasis on London. You also examine key texts and performances within the relevant historical and cultural context and delve into theater criticism, reception theory, dramaturgy, and stage design.

Want to know what it's really like to live in London? Check out this Center for yourself by taking a Virtual Tour at www.IESabroad.org/study-abroad/virtual-tour.

Katie

Living the London Life and LOVING It!

When I decided to study abroad, I knew exactly where I wanted to go. London, England was the only choice for me. I wanted to learn everything that I possibly could from the extraordinary people in this wonderful city. My ten-year goal at the time was to actually live in London, England and establish a life for myself there. I wanted to use my study abroad experience as a sort of "tester" for eventually living there.
I chose IES Abroad because it offered a flexible program that could work with both my majors. I am currently pursuing a double-degree in theatre and business marketing at my home university and wanted a program in which I was able to study both of these subjects. IES Abroad London - Theatre Studies program allowed me to focus on my theatre classes and be with fellow theatre majors while also taking additional business classes.
IES Abroad also makes it SUPER easy to travel while doing a semester abroad, but it is not required to travel independently. I participated in almost all of IES Abroad's travel programs and was not disappointed. I visited all of the places that I wanted and learned even more about the country itself.
After a semester abroad, I really wanted to come home to the States, but the IES Abroad program staff and professors made this one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Cost estimate on food and incidentals in London before the program starts.
Kaylin

A Semester In London - Best Experience Ever

Deciding the spend the semester in London was one of the best choices I could have made. IES Abroad is a wonderful company to work with. The staff, both in the US and London are incredibly helpful and are willing to answer any questions you might have and make sure that you are adjusting to the city well.
The theatre classes gave us great first hand experiences with the theatre industry within London. Seeing performances were an important part of our learning. In our classes we discussed the importance of theatre within our society, what worked and didn't work about the shows we saw, and we were able to experiences other elements of theatre within the community, such as Shakespeare with a homeless outreach center, talking to professionals in their fields, and voice over work. The professors were incredibly helpful and we were encouraged to think about the subjects and the world in different ways.
This program is great if you want to learn and fulfill credits at your home school, but also explore and travel. There is ample time to travel to other countries and cities, and the staff and professors encourage that. And if you are wanting to spend more time in London, there is more than enough to keep you busy and having fun. This program is great for those who want to have fun, learn, and travel. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Sometimes our housing situations could be frustrating. We lived in Nido Kings Cross Residence Hall and it could often be difficult to get problems fixed by the staff there. However, the IES staff was always incredibly helpful and would intervene if necessary, so we were never only fending for ourselves. Certain classes were not to my liking, simply because of the style of teaching of the professor. However, I loved the majority of my classes. I would have liked to meet more of the locals, but that is a possibility if that is something that you are very passionate about. There are many events and social groups within the city for students who are looking to meet other students, British or otherwise.
Caitlin

Best Four Months of my Life

This was the best experience I could have hoped for. I learned so much about myself and the world, and I have grown so much. The classes were amazing and the opportunities in London are endless. I highly recommend everyone should study abroad. It will change you totally for the better.

I would not change anything.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...