IES Abroad London Summer - UK Today

IES Abroad London Summer - UK Today

The IES Abroad UK Today Program provides you with the opportunity to explore the vibrant culture and rich heritage of contemporary London. We offer a unique academic experience, integrating field study into virtually all courses to maximize the many opportunities for learning that London presents.

Want to know what it's really like to live in London? Check out this center for yourself by taking a Virtual Tour at www.IESabroad.org/study-abroad/virtual-tour.

Europe » England » London
Contact IES Abroad or see website for details: www.IESabroad.org/london

Anna
Bloomington, IN
Indiana University- Bloomington

Choose London IES UK Today!

If someone were to ask me, "Anna, what is the coolest thing you have ever done?" the answer would be easy: "Study abroad!" This summer, I had the awesome experience of studying abroad in London with the IES UK Today program. I took two classes with amazing professors who took us on field trips for basically every class, and were quick to give suggestions as to the best things to do and see in the city. The IES staff was attentive and detail-oriented, from the dispersal and explanation of the pre-departure information, throughout the study abroad experience, and to the day we all left to go home. IES also facilitated amazing field trips to Brighton, Kenilworth Castle and Stratford-Upon-Avon, and Stonehenge and Bath. In addition to giving us opportunities to explore the UK, the IES staff really encouraged us to explore London, UK, and Europe independently. I took this advice to heart, and when I wasn't in class, I could be found in a museum, walking through a royal palace, strolling along the South Bank, or taking in a musical or play in the West End. I also took several trips outside of London, including Paris, Brussels, Dover, Wimbledon, Windsor, and Oxford. Without the support of IES staff encouraging me to make the most of my study abroad experience, and providing me with all the support I needed, I do not think my experience would have been nearly as unforgettable!

The only thing that could have been better was that the living spaces were a little cramped - but it was just greater encouragement to really get out and explore!

Jordan

Wonderful Experience

IES makes everything easier for your study abroad experience. They provide you with all the necessary information to succeed without being overbearing. They are there when you need them but give you space to do your own thing! I was able to travel to three different countries in my six weeks and see so much of England! I would highly recommend this program if you are independent and are looking for a life changing experience!

My only issue was that the grades took a very long time to post!

katie
london

UK-Today Adventure

I had an amazing time through the IES-UK Today program. I met some of my best friends as well as had an amazing time exploring new countries and getting to know different cultures from around the world. If you are thinking about going abroad I would highly recommend just going for it! Overall, my experience was truly amazing and I think that it is an amazing opportunity to go abroad and try new things. The administration was amazing and helped with anything you needed. They made you feel at home and helped you with the culture shock of a new country. However, you had so much autonomy to do what you wanted when you wanted.

I thought the program did a great job overall!

Stokes
Atlanta, GA
Agnes Scott College

Living in London: Expensive but Worth it

I had a phenomenal time during my study abroad experience in London the Summer of 2016, but I will not deny that the finances of the city made it tough at times. I spent most of my time in the city as it was only a six week course, while some of the other people on my program would spend every weekend traveling. At the end of the program, I was so in love with the city that I had come to understand, and I cannot wait to go back. This program in particular had great professors and fun trips outside of London, but it was easy to spend a lot of time with the other people on the program instead of meeting Londoners, which was mainly due to the fact that the classes were not with London students. Regardless, this is an awesome program and I had a really great time. Research all the different events happening in London before you go, get to know your professors and they will tell you about stuff you have to do while there, and befriend your roommate so you have a buddy who you can go on adventures with!

Hannah
Jamestown, Indiana

My Amazing Adventure

For as long as I can remember, I wanted to travel to England. I grew up on Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia, and I always loved British culture. In high school, I was determined that in college I would study abroad in London. Last summer my dreams came true when IES Abroad gave me the opportunity of a lifetime. Honestly, I had a lot of doubts about going overseas by myself for an entire summer. Would I get homesick? Would I make any friends? Would my classes be too hard or too boring? But IES made me feel at home in London and created the best experience possible for me.

The staff at IES London were absolutely incredible. They were always there to help us, give us tips and ideas, or even just to chat. There were so many trips and events for us to attend in our free time and I feel like the program really helped me make the most out of my time abroad. My classes were great, as well. The professors were knowledgeable and made the classes exciting. I learned so much and experienced the city in different ways through my classes. Although, there wasn't much of an opportunity to make local friends, I made a group of friends in my program that I wouldn't trade for anything. They absolutely made the experience the best it could possibly be. We spent so much time exploring and even just hanging out together, and we still keep in touch.

I know it sounds cliche, but I really do believe I grew as a person because of this experience. I gained a new sense of independence and a new viewpoint of the world. Without a doubt it was the best summer of my life and the best choice I have ever made to study abroad. No matter what you are studying or what doubts you have, study abroad sometime during your college career. You will not regret it. I loved my experience with IES Abroad and I miss that summer every day!

Christina
Park Ridge, IL
Indiana University- Bloomington

Choose IES for the best summer of your life

IES helped make summer 2016 unforgettable. After being accepted into the program they did everything they could to make us feel ready for our time in the UK. When I decided to study abroad one of the first things I was worried about was traveling internationally for the first time. The staff at IES provided multiple resources that made me feel very prepared. I felt comfortable flying to a new country, getting my passport stamped with immigration, and making my way to the residence hall. This great customer service continued after we arrived in London and throughout our program. Once we arrived in London, they provided a comprehensive training that included topics like health and safety in London, transportation, traveling on the weekends, and their academic policies.

Choosing to study abroad with IES was a great decision because they went above and beyond to teach you how to immerse yourself into London’s culture, and that was one of my main goals of studying abroad. Within hours of arriving in London they showed us the best places to eat, grocery shop, and how to use the transportation system in our neighborhood. They encouraged us to ride the tube, read the Evening Standard, and visit pubs and neighborhoods outside of tourist attractions. Oftentimes I visited the staff members after class and asked for restaurant suggestions or interesting activities to try on the weekend.

The academic program itself provided some of the most interesting classes I’ve taken in my college career. I had to opportunity to take a class on London Architecture and another on British censorship. Both of my instructors were very knowledgeable in their fields and the workload was perfect because it left time to explore London. I had one class per day Monday-Thursday and I would often plan activities before or after class. This schedule also allowed everyone on my program ample time to travel elsewhere.

I traveled to Paris and throughout the UK with students from my program. I also went on trips that IES planned and subsidized. These trips went to Stonehenge, Bath, Salisbury, and Brighton; I thought they were well done and enjoyed the guides that IES hired. My favorite trip was the one that toured Bath/Salisbury/Stonehenge over a weekend. This is mostly because my group was assigned a guide named Jeany. Jeany took us on a walking tour in each of these places, and she was hysterical and very well spoken. She had me so interested in the history and stories of these places I ended up doing research on my own time.

IES is a wonderful organization that aims to teach students about new cultures and living abroad, and you can see their passion in the excellent programs they provide. Highly recommend!

The only complaints I have about this program is that it was a little difficult to meet other British people of college age, and the residence hall was undergoing serious construction at the time. IES provided great ideas to meet other British students such as homestays and joining a local London university student union. However, I just didn't have a lot of time to implement these ideas. As far as the construction goes, this may no longer be an issue as it’s been over 2 months since I left and the end product is supposed to be really nice! Also, IES organized a sizable refund for us since we lived there during the construction.

Alyssa
New Lenox, IL

The Summer of My Life

I spent 7 weeks in the heart of London this past summer (2016). The overall experience was absolutely fantastic. This past summer, many things were happening in London, and Europe overall, including the Brexit vote, and multiple terrorist attacks. While these things can be confusing or scary to anyone, I never questioned my safety. IES helped their students stay informed on everything happening in the city, and tips and tricks in order to avoid trouble. Studying in Europe allowed for quick weekend trips to wherever I could get my hands on a ticket. I traveled to Paris and Scotland, but many in my program went other places such as Spain, Ireland, Amsterdam, Germany, etc. I was enrolled in only 6 credit hours, two classes, and went to only one class a day Mon-Thurs. While the classes required work outside of the scheduled class time, I was left with more than enough time to explore London and see everything I had hoped to see. Overall, I would recommend 100% studying abroad, and also studying with IES. If I had more time on my clock as an undergrad I would study abroad again in a heartbeat.

The living situation was by far the most difficult part to work with, but it was just due to the timing of their remodeling and the timing of my program.

Bridget
New York, New York
Wagner College

Best Summer Ever

I travelled abroad to London for 8 weeks as a part of IES Abroad's 2015 UK Today program. I had the time of my life, with so many amazing new friends! I had the experience of fully immersing myself in a different culture and meeting people from all over the world. I got to take in an incredible amount of beautiful art, and try new foods that I never would have tried before! I was able to travel outside of the UK and extend my experiential learning in other countries. I came back to New York a changed person with a refreshing new outlook on life, and it's all because of studying abroad. I couldn't be happier to have had this amazing experience.

I only wish it was longer!

Liz
Columbia, Missouri
University of Missouri- Columbia

A Summer in London

Spending my summer in one of the best cities in the world is an opportunity I will always be grateful for and always remember. It was without a doubt one of the best summers of my life. I chose to study abroad for several reasons, however two of the most important reasons would have to be to find a sense of myself and to immerse myself into another culture. However, I did find comfort in England because there was no language barrier.

I believe that traveling the world is the best form of education one can receive. IES Abroad gave me so many opportunities to explore England, especially in the summer months. London has so much to offer such as music festivals, activities in Hyde Park, free museums, Wimbledon, and so much more. IES staff also takes several trips with students including Stonehenge, Bath and Brighton.

The academics in London definitely pushed me because it was more informal and discussion based compared to the lectures I receive on my home campus. I liked the challenge though.

Michelle
West Lafayette, Indiana
Purdue University

I had the time of my life with IES Abroad!

My study abroad experience with IES Abroad was one of the best times of my life. Having never been abroad before, I was nervous about how I would handle being in a huge city thousands of miles from home. After a quick orientation into Life in London (and its public transportation) given by IES staff, my silly worries were quickly put to rest.

I learned so many life lessons through the UK Today program and have found a better sense of who I am as a person. Both of the classes I took met in specific locations in the city, such as the National Portrait Gallery or the Royal Naval College in Greenwich, and required lots of walking and picture taking (two things I throughly enjoy). My classes let me see London in its natural environment and gave me insight into its incredible history. In our spare time my friends and I would visit one of the many free museums, watch the FIFA World Cup at a local pub, or have some lunch in one of the many green spaces (Kensington Gardens was a favorite!), and we quickly found out own side of London.

The program also offered many opportunities to visit popular spot outside of London during the weekends, including Stonehenge and Bath, complete with tour guides and transportation (Brighton was a personal favorite). I met so many wonderful people abroad and I enjoyed getting to know the IES staff and world-renowned Professors. I am so grateful for the experiences IES abroad has given me and I will always see London as a second home.

More weekend travel opportunities to visit tourist sites outside of England would have been fun.

Melanie
Texas
Trinity University

London

I loved every single minute of being abroad, and I learned so many valuable life lessons. I became a more confident person, and I learned the importance of mastering public transportation. The people who work for IES Abroad are wonderful people who helped me when I did not know what to do. They also challenged me by not solving all of my problems. I quickly found my favorite London spots. The food in London was probably one of my favorite parts, because it was so diverse. I loved that there were a lot of free museums, and the parks were always enjoyable to walk around. It was also nice that there were so many places outside London that I could get to easily. I am so grateful for my study abroad experience, and it will forever have one of the biggest impacts on my life.

I would have liked it to be a longer summer program.

Kimberly
San Antonio, Texas
Trinity University

Without a Doubt The Best Summer of My Life

I loved studying with IES. They made our summer incredibly fun and memorable. SInce studying with IES, I have studied with another program in a different location, and I have truly come to appreciate how special of a program is was. The staff truly felt like my own friends by the end of the summer, and they would go above and beyond to ensure we had everything we needed and answered all of our questions. The classes always held my interest and made me truly appreciate Britisha nd London culture. The living situation wasn't perfect, but it was nice for the amount of time we lived there. The trips IES had organized for us to take were absolutely wonderful. They hire the best, funniest, and most interesting tour guides and really aim to make each trip memorable, while still allowing for free time to do some exploring on your own. I never felt unsafe in the city, no matter what time of night, and I felt prepared to handle it if any problems did arise based on our safety orientation at the beginning of the trip.

I could not recommend any other program more than I do IES. They are a fantastic program and made preparation and transitions painless. I would absolutely study with them again if I was given the opportunity.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to