University of East Anglia's International Summer School

UEA's International Summer School provides a unique experience to live and learn in the UK at a world leading university during a 4 week period in the summer. Our course gives students the opportunity to study abroad in one of a range of exciting academic modules, all delivered by the University's leading academics and industry experts.

Our flexible programme enables students to develop advanced skills in their current discipline or to try something completely new, undertaking more than 40 hours’ intensive and participative learning in a challenging and stimulating environment. Each module includes academic field trips to enhance learning and gain deeper understanding.

As well as living and learning on our beautiful campus, students benefit from an inclusive social programme designed to embrace the bustling atmosphere of our historic region. Students can also book onto additional weekend trips to explore more of England.

#ueaiss2018 will run from 30 June to 28 July

• Participate in lectures and workshops from world-leading experts in your study area
  • Experience life on campus as a registered student at a UK top 15 university
  • Embrace the lively atmosphere of Norwich and discover the beauty of England's coast and countryside
  • Join our weekender trips to London & Cambridge and Stonehenge, Bath & Windsor, and our day trips to the seaside and the Harry Potter Studio Tour
  • Make lifelong friendships and become part of a vibrant international network

Connie

Life Changing!

I truly cannot express what an amazing experience my summer school at UEA was!

The campus is beautiful, and the medieval city of Norwich was such a pleasant surprise! It offers culture, history, shopping and nightlife. I honestly fell in love with the city and dream of going back to visit.

The friendships that I made with students from around the world is what I cherish the most. We continue to stay in touch and I feel my life has truly been enriched by having met them. We bonded almost immediately!

The trips around England, including to London, Stonehenge, Bath, Oxford and Cambridge were definitely a highlight. Experiencing history in that way was important to me as I was able to build skills as a history student, as well as gain an authentic experience of England and it's beautiful culture and countryside.

I would recommend this experience to every student. It has changed my life!

I would have loved a little bit more time! One month flew!
Elaine

The Most Memorable and Rewarding Summer

The International Summer School 2013 was one of the greatest, busiest and exciting experiences of my life. I have been lucky enough to travel quite a bit, but no other trip has quite compared to this one.

Norwich is such a beautiful city; a perfect mix of medieval, rustic architecture and a vibrant urban scene. The University of East Anglia campus itself is amazing; small enough not to feel overwhelming and to make you feel like it's a second home, but big enough to include all the amenities a student could ever want, including excellent food services, beautiful grounds, a fully equipped sportspark and even an art gallery!

The academic work provided me very useful skills for my university career. I was in the Future Medicine module, and we used a learning system called "Problem Based Learning" which was an excellent scenario-based learning tool. I found this a brilliant way to approach the topics, and I really enjoyed learning how our module applied to the different students who were taking it.

The social side of the program was simply outstanding. We were given a variety of options for add-ons, such as a brewery tour, Mississippi steamboat cruise on the Norfolk Broads and dry ski slope tubing! We also had the option to take a weekend trip to Stonehenge, Bath and Oxford which was truly unforgettable. This was over and above day trips to Cambridge and London and an awesome Sunday Roast!

But by far the best, most memorable part of this entire experience was the people. If none of the above convinced you that this is a worthwhile experience, then this is what should win you over...

The instructors were approachable and had such valuable knowledge, and now act as great connections for us in our respective fields. The organizers were truly remarkable; how they manage to have everything go off without a hitch, and always with a big smile on their face, is unfathomable and so very appreciated. The student volunteers become a part of the extended family that you create while on exchange; they live, laugh and do all the crazy things you do, with you.

The other students on exchange become lifelong friends, reasons to travel even more, and the stars of a million memories that you take with you when the exchange comes to an end. It's sad when you have to leave, but you're guaranteed to leave a better person, wondering how you got to be lucky enough to have an experience like this, and planning the next trip to see your new friends.

So, just go on exchange. Seriously. Do it.

That it would never end haha! But honestly, I can't think of anything that needs changing. There was a great balance of social and academics, and everything was really well organized.
Elsa

One of the greatest experiences of my life

Being part of ISS international Summer School is one of the best things that can happen to you.
You get to do a lot of activities at the city's University as well as around England, all combined with meeting amazing people from different parts of the world.
At the end of the program you won´t want it to end, the professors are really great people and will help you in everything you need.
You get to do a lot of activities with your new friends and will learn a lot of history - Plague and Disease in the Medieval City- visiting the actual places where everything took place explained by profesional people.
If you are fortunate, you will get a sunny weather for a whole month, yes in England.
You won't regret this once in a lifetime opportunity.

I would like the program to last longer, it just goes so quickly!!
Leticia

Life-changind experience!

One wouldn't expect that a month could change your point of view regarding your education and your plans for the future, but the UEA ISS has definitely left a mark on me. And I was not a silly naive girl hoping to be swept off my feet!

The Summer School team offered all the support I needed to feel safe on my first trip abroad but gave me enough confidence to be independent and enjoy every moment. Needless to say, the professors were precious and delivered great classes.

Norwich is the most underestimated city I've ever seen. I used to spend hours exploring every inch of it!

The UEA campus is a lovely place on Summer and I will never forget the great time I had and all the friends that I made!

The only thing I would change about the program would be to make it longer! Seriously, one month is too short when you are having so much fun!
Megan

A glorious month to be had abroad

Experiencing the UEA International Summer School was a personal highlight of 2013. It combined enriching and stimulating academic programs with an inclusive social program, making my 4 weeks in the UK a truly fulfilling experience.

Amongst classes, taking organised trips to Bath, Oxford, and Stonehenge, as well as travelling with my newfound friends to Edinburgh for a weekend, meant that this was a busy and adventurous month.

I was even lucky enough to spend 2 weeks of summer school in London, seeing plays and experiencing this global city in all its glory - the Contemporary British Theatre program was led by truly passionate, creative and intelligent academics.

The people, the places, the memories - you'll cherish every second.

Emma

Best Month Ever

I was part of the International Summer School 2013. A program of fantastic people, challenging and stimulating classes that were super fun, and a social program that brought us all together! The staff were extremely supportive and helpful, and I even got to spend two weeks in London to really experience England.

Stephen

Perfect. Very straight forward and to the point

There is absolutely nothing I can say negatively about UEA's ISS program. This program is one of a kind in offering diverse courses, social experiences, bringing together people from all over the world.

The highlight of the ISS was meeting the other students. I can honestly say that we are really good friends now, almost like a ISS family. Even though we all had differences based on culture and personal interests, we still came together to be great friends.

I often think back to the time I had at UEA and can't imagine what my life would be like if I didn't do the ISS.

I tell everyone that I meet to do the ISS program at UEA because it honestly, was the best time I have ever had at school. Congrats UEA!

I would not change anything! I loved every minute of it!

About University of East Anglia

The University of East Anglia is a UK Top 15 University, and a World Top 200 Higher Education Institute. Based on a beautiful campus in the historic city of Norwich, we pride ourselves on the excellent academic, social and cultural facilities we...