Summer Study at UEA

Trip to Cambridge #UEAiss
Trip to Cambridge #UEAiss
Trip to London #UEAiss
Trip to London #UEAiss

Want to get the most out of summer? Summer Study at UEA is about visiting new places, having new experiences and expanding your horizons. At UEA we have amazing opportunities available to you this summer.

The Undergraduate International Summer School is our four-week summer program taught by UEA academics. Choose from a wide variety of modules, each accredited for 20UCU/10ECTS credits. Each module includes 40 contact hours, in-depth classroom discussions and inclusive off-campus field trips.

The Centre for Japanese Studies offers two non-accredited interdisciplinary summer programs. You will explore Japanese arts, language and culture and develop a deeper understanding of Japan and its place in the world yesterday, today and tomorrow. You will learn from leading UEA academics, benefit from inspiring guest lectures and gain hands-on experiences through academic field trips.

Visit our website to find out more, and start your application today!

• Satisfy your search for knowledge with off campus field trips and leading guest lectures.
  • Develop your academic skills with engaging and challenging activities and assessments.
  • Experience an intensive and interactive learning environment at a UK top 15 University.
  • Make new friends and academic connections and become part of a vibrant international network.
  • Increase your self confidence with in class discussions and inspiring lectures.

Ophelia

This is a fantastic program!

I had a wonderful experience during International Summer School 2018. During my application process, the staff were tremendously helpful through email answering all of my questions. I appreciated their accommodation throughout my entire study abroad. I was in the Japan Orientation module and I enjoyed becoming good friends with the other students in my module. I learned just as much from my peers in discussion as I did from the lectures. The academic field trips were a highlight for me! The museums that we visited were amazing. Most of all, I had so much fun at UEA. The campus is beautiful and I took many walks. I learned so much in just four weeks, and I draw on that knowledge and experience every day. The ISS is a great opportunity and I thoroughly recommend it!

Response from University of East Anglia

Hi Ophelia, thank you for your great review! We're glad to hear that our help was useful, and that you enjoyed your academic module and especially the field trips!

Ewa

Wonderful experience

A great opportunity to learn not only about your course topic but also about countries of your groupmates. Super-friendly, helpful staff and teachers (<3), interesting lectures and field trips, various social activities.
The university's campus is vast and nice, with a lot of space for a nice walk or jogging. There's a shop (even if you forget your travel adapter, don't worry, you can buy it here), cafes and a bookstore by the campus, it takes a little bit of a time to get to the closest supermarket though.
Aside from classes and field trips, you can also take part in other social activities, like boat cruise or Great Britain quiz, along with students from other courses.
If you want to spend an enjoyable summer in a picturesque English town and learn about interesting matters in a good company of friendly people, hesitate no more and apply!

There was a slight confusion regarding the way of submitting our final reports and the topic of our final presentation but eventually it was solved somehow smoothly. From time perspective no major issues that could discourage your from applying to this course.
Response from University of East Anglia

Hi Ewa, thanks so much for leaving this review! We're glad to hear you enjoyed the beautiful UEA campus and the social activities.
Thank you as well for the helpful feedback regarding the assignment submission and apologies again for the confusion. We have changed the process for 2019 and will ensure that it's clearer for future students!

Henry

A Life-time Unforgettable Journey

I would like to share my own experience and I hope it'll help.
At a time, I was desperate for the outside world like foreign countries. However, during a long period, I was not brave enough to take the first step, and certainly, out of fear, scared of my broken English and other unknowns. Nevertheless, the first time I saw the University of East Anglia (UEA) International Summer School Program, I knew it was time to apply what I was looking forward to reality.
My nerves had been stretched tightly since I was picked up at Heathrow airport. On the bus back to school, I would like to say hello to students nearby, but out of the deep-rooted introverted ethos of Chinese, I gave up. In the welcome brunch, by playing Bingo, I dared to pluck up courage to talk to those were strangers to me at that instant but later who became my most precious friends.
From then on, every time there were activities, I would try to hold back the willing which persuaded me to flock together with the other Chinese mates, as the reason I came abroad was to step out of the comfort zone. My friends probably had perceived my inquietude, for when I was with them they always engaged me naturally or half unconsciously. What impressed me most was an unnoticeable detail, the day we had dinner at Norwich, everyone at the table talked, when it was my turn, the exact time I tried to say something, the rest of the people would lean a little bit forward, just this simple subconscious gesture, making me feel fully respected and deeply moved, since then, I knew I was going to love this group.
After a few days’ endeavor, I could join the others with good grace. One night, after we held a party in the kitchen, I was about to leave, Peggy shouted at me, “You’re Chinese, you’re supposed to be shy!” I really couldn’t stop laughing that time. I admitted that I was very bad at being the stereotypical east Asian. On weekends, we went on a journey to Oxford, we made plans, booked tickets, and arranged accommodations all together. The cooperation made us closer, and we felt a close connection with each other. We did meet some difficulties and challenges, but I wasn’t afraid of them any longer. Right then, I realized the true meaning of youth, it’s not a time of life, but a state of mind, a mind of embracing challenges and unknowns.
I’m so grateful to UEA, my beloved friends as well as Roanne, Claire and Rachel, the staff who firmly supported us. There might be possibility that some of us won't see each other anymore, this period may also be drowned out in the trivial life, but every time when it rushes upon my mind, it would give me power and warmth. Looking at the outside world more often, not only could increase our knowledge, but what’s more important is that those once unknown, and once felt unattainable things have been intimately contacted with us, from then on they’ll be treated with ordinary mentality, aweing but no longer afraid.
If you are considering of applying, don't hesitate, you'll never regert a single bit of it :)

One month is too short to enjoy, I'd really like to stay longer~
Response from University of East Anglia

Hi Henry, thank you so much for leaving this lovely review, and for this amazing video! We really enjoyed hearing your views and seeing all the other students from ISS 2018 again too! Regarding one month being too short, maybe we will be able to welcome you back to UEA again in the future for a longer visit?

Ákos

Best month in my life

It's hard to find the words to describe this amazing experience. During the application, I got every help, no matter what my problem was, the answer arrived in days.
When I arrived they come for us at the airport. The campus is beautiful, hares everywhere (literally EVERYWHERE around the campus and they are cute :D) The dorms are very close. Everyone has their own room, bed, table, shower, bathroom. On the campus, you can find small shops, 2-floor bookstore, café etc.
The lessons were useful in my studies, and we could use the library. I had the chance to ask real experts on different topics and teachers helped at UEA to find my graduation thesis.
The community was incredible I could make new friends and after half a year we are still in contact.
It was the best summer of my life thanks to this programme. Wonderful experience, helpful coordinators and staff, memorable trips, and a huge help in my future studies. I recommend it to everyone!

It's perfect :D. If there was any problem I can't remember because it was solved so fast. Maybe the only problem, that it was only one month!
Response from University of East Anglia

Hi Ákos,
thank you for leaving this lovely review! We're really glad to hear that you found us helpful before and during the programme, and that your study programme Japan Orientation was so valuable. Regarding the longer programme, maybe we will be able to welcome you back to UEA at some point in the future for a longer visit!

Connie

Life Changing!

I truly cannot express what an amazing experience my summer school at UEA was!

The campus is beautiful, and the medieval city of Norwich was such a pleasant surprise! It offers culture, history, shopping and nightlife. I honestly fell in love with the city and dream of going back to visit.

The friendships that I made with students from around the world is what I cherish the most. We continue to stay in touch and I feel my life has truly been enriched by having met them. We bonded almost immediately!

The trips around England, including to London, Stonehenge, Bath, Oxford and Cambridge were definitely a highlight. Experiencing history in that way was important to me as I was able to build skills as a history student, as well as gain an authentic experience of England and it's beautiful culture and countryside.

I would recommend this experience to every student. It has changed my life!

I would have loved a little bit more time! One month flew!
Elaine

The Most Memorable and Rewarding Summer

The International Summer School 2013 was one of the greatest, busiest and exciting experiences of my life. I have been lucky enough to travel quite a bit, but no other trip has quite compared to this one.

Norwich is such a beautiful city; a perfect mix of medieval, rustic architecture and a vibrant urban scene. The University of East Anglia campus itself is amazing; small enough not to feel overwhelming and to make you feel like it's a second home, but big enough to include all the amenities a student could ever want, including excellent food services, beautiful grounds, a fully equipped sportspark and even an art gallery!

The academic work provided me very useful skills for my university career. I was in the Future Medicine module, and we used a learning system called "Problem Based Learning" which was an excellent scenario-based learning tool. I found this a brilliant way to approach the topics, and I really enjoyed learning how our module applied to the different students who were taking it.

The social side of the program was simply outstanding. We were given a variety of options for add-ons, such as a brewery tour, Mississippi steamboat cruise on the Norfolk Broads and dry ski slope tubing! We also had the option to take a weekend trip to Stonehenge, Bath and Oxford which was truly unforgettable. This was over and above day trips to Cambridge and London and an awesome Sunday Roast!

But by far the best, most memorable part of this entire experience was the people. If none of the above convinced you that this is a worthwhile experience, then this is what should win you over...

The instructors were approachable and had such valuable knowledge, and now act as great connections for us in our respective fields. The organizers were truly remarkable; how they manage to have everything go off without a hitch, and always with a big smile on their face, is unfathomable and so very appreciated. The student volunteers become a part of the extended family that you create while on exchange; they live, laugh and do all the crazy things you do, with you.

The other students on exchange become lifelong friends, reasons to travel even more, and the stars of a million memories that you take with you when the exchange comes to an end. It's sad when you have to leave, but you're guaranteed to leave a better person, wondering how you got to be lucky enough to have an experience like this, and planning the next trip to see your new friends.

So, just go on exchange. Seriously. Do it.

That it would never end haha! But honestly, I can't think of anything that needs changing. There was a great balance of social and academics, and everything was really well organized.
Elsa

One of the greatest experiences of my life

Being part of ISS international Summer School is one of the best things that can happen to you.
You get to do a lot of activities at the city's University as well as around England, all combined with meeting amazing people from different parts of the world.
At the end of the program you won´t want it to end, the professors are really great people and will help you in everything you need.
You get to do a lot of activities with your new friends and will learn a lot of history - Plague and Disease in the Medieval City- visiting the actual places where everything took place explained by profesional people.
If you are fortunate, you will get a sunny weather for a whole month, yes in England.
You won't regret this once in a lifetime opportunity.

I would like the program to last longer, it just goes so quickly!!
Leticia

Life-changind experience!

One wouldn't expect that a month could change your point of view regarding your education and your plans for the future, but the UEA ISS has definitely left a mark on me. And I was not a silly naive girl hoping to be swept off my feet!

The Summer School team offered all the support I needed to feel safe on my first trip abroad but gave me enough confidence to be independent and enjoy every moment. Needless to say, the professors were precious and delivered great classes.

Norwich is the most underestimated city I've ever seen. I used to spend hours exploring every inch of it!

The UEA campus is a lovely place on Summer and I will never forget the great time I had and all the friends that I made!

The only thing I would change about the program would be to make it longer! Seriously, one month is too short when you are having so much fun!
Megan

A glorious month to be had abroad

Experiencing the UEA International Summer School was a personal highlight of 2013. It combined enriching and stimulating academic programs with an inclusive social program, making my 4 weeks in the UK a truly fulfilling experience.

Amongst classes, taking organised trips to Bath, Oxford, and Stonehenge, as well as travelling with my newfound friends to Edinburgh for a weekend, meant that this was a busy and adventurous month.

I was even lucky enough to spend 2 weeks of summer school in London, seeing plays and experiencing this global city in all its glory - the Contemporary British Theatre program was led by truly passionate, creative and intelligent academics.

The people, the places, the memories - you'll cherish every second.

Emma

Best Month Ever

I was part of the International Summer School 2013. A program of fantastic people, challenging and stimulating classes that were super fun, and a social program that brought us all together! The staff were extremely supportive and helpful, and I even got to spend two weeks in London to really experience England.

Stephen

Perfect. Very straight forward and to the point

There is absolutely nothing I can say negatively about UEA's ISS program. This program is one of a kind in offering diverse courses, social experiences, bringing together people from all over the world.

The highlight of the ISS was meeting the other students. I can honestly say that we are really good friends now, almost like a ISS family. Even though we all had differences based on culture and personal interests, we still came together to be great friends.

I often think back to the time I had at UEA and can't imagine what my life would be like if I didn't do the ISS.

I tell everyone that I meet to do the ISS program at UEA because it honestly, was the best time I have ever had at school. Congrats UEA!

I would not change anything! I loved every minute of it!