IES Abroad Paris Summer - Advanced Language

IES Abroad Paris Summer - Advanced Language

Learn about French culture and history while improving your French language abilities—all while studying in one of the most famous cities in the world. Paris becomes your classroom: see ballets at the opera, visit open air markets, take tours of local neighborhoods, and more.

You earn 6 credits through a combination of a French language course and area studies courses—depending on how much prior French experience you have. The courses are taught in French by native French speakers, and incorporate field study in Paris, including visits to art museums, and its architectural and historical landmarks.

Check out this center for yourself through our virtual tours at www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad/virtual-tour.

Europe » France » Paris

Rachel
Grove City, Ohio
Ohio State University

IES Abroad Summer Program

I really enjoyed this program. The IES staff were very helpful and encouraging. The classes were small and personal. I took two classes while there and had class 4 days a week for about 4 hours a day. I lived with a host family in the third arrondissement. They were really nice and helpful. I had dinner with them 3 times a week, where we got to discuss everything and anything. I enjoyed the program field trips to Reims and Giverny. It was great to be able to go outside of Paris and see other parts of France. Overall, this was a wonderful experience!

Amanda
Naperville, IL
Loyola University Chicago

Summer in the City of Lights

I studied in Paris with IES for their advanced summer program. I had visited Paris twice before and I think that made me feel less pressure to see all the tourist sites. I choose to be very independent in my time there; I was constantly visiting museums and neighborhoods on my own because I really wanted to learn about the city. The American students that I was with mostly wanted to party and speak English to each other, but I was able to meet locals, speak French constantly, and explore the city fully. I think my favorite site that I visited was Sacré Coeur because of all the wonderful pictures you can take from the tower of the church. In addition, the graffiti was hilarious. Someone had written "pray for my bac" and I thought this was very funny. The bac is an exam the all French students take after they graduate high school. It is our equivalent of the ACT/SAT, but more specific to career goals and administered by the French government.

I think pre-departure information can be communicated in a clearer manner. I also think the billing system can be improved so that families do not get extra bills during the program.

Meghna
Columbus, OH
Ohio State University

IES Abroad Paris Summer

The desire to study abroad was something I expressed since first starting college, but the reality of my experience is still surreal. I had wanted to study in Paris ever since my first trip there in 2013 and it finally came to fruition this past summer. I had always known that I didn’t want to spend an entire semester away from my university, and since I have been taking French since middle school, I knew I wanted the opportunity to fully immerse myself in the language and culture of France. IES Abroad Paris Summer was the perfect opportunity for me to immerse myself in a new city and dive headfirst into a native French environment and it was, by far, one of the best experiences of my college career.
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I arrived in Paris at the end of May—what my host family would be like, who I’d meet, what I’d discover about the city—but I had a wonderful experience. IES Abroad took care of everything and the staff was friendly and approachable, as well as willing to lend a helping hand to any cultural acclimation, health, or well-being issues we might have had during the duration of the program. In terms of academics, the professors were great. I learned a lot from inside the classroom, but I learned even more from the course-related excursions I attended, which allowed me to see more areas and neighborhoods of the city than I would have seen on my own. My French language and comprehension skills were challenged daily, as I communicated with my host family, my professors, and the people in shops and restaurants. I expanded my vocabulary and grasp of the French language in a way that I could not have done sitting in a classroom in the United States, far from native French speakers. I was able to view firsthand how life operates in a major European city, and how different the culture is in France versus the United States. I walked along ancient streets every day, lost myself in the history of the city, ate all the baguettes my heart desired, and met some people who made my experience as amazing as it was. I came to Paris not knowing a single soul beforehand, but I left with the memories of meeting amazing new friends and a wonderful family.

I wish the timing of the courses had been slightly different--instead of having a long break in between, I would have preferred them to be back to back, so that we could finish earlier and have the rest of the day to complete assignments and explore the city.

Catherine
Austin,Texas

Summer in Paris

This is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I was incredibly nervous about my adventures abroad...especially because I had not been out of the country since I was 13, but the staff at IES is eager to help students with any situation that may arise. My main focus of studying abroad was to complete my French minor and improve my fluency through immersion, but I learned so much more. I cannot say enough good things about the program! If you can, I would recommend a homestay, if you are serious about learning the French language. Not only will the experience vastly improve fluency in the French language, it will help you make connections for the next time you visit! Additionally, I will forever cherish the colorful dinnertime conversations that would ensue every night. From "how was your day?' to "what do you think about this political issue?" (Parisians love to talk politics). All in all, it was an eye-opening experience that I will take with me wherever I go. I will never forget the summer I spent in Paris.

Thomas
Bloomington, IN
Indiana University- Bloomington

My Review of Paris, IES Advanced Program

I would totally recommend this program. I learned a great deal about the language and culture, more importantly. Being immersed in the Parisian landscape really redefined my outlook on life and made me fall in love with a people and a lifestyle. This was a priceless experience.

If I had to change one thing, I would have the courses involve more traveling around the actual city of Paris than involving more classroom/desk work.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to