CIEE Language + Culture in Toulouse, France

tourists looking out over water and a castle
tourists looking out over water and a castle
overhead view of Toulouse France
overhead view of Toulouse France

Bring your desire to learn French to Toulouse and immerse yourself in France’s art, history, cuisine, and music. Toulouse was voted one of the best cities in France to study abroad for its strong community vibe and small-town charm. Take classes in English at CIEE Toulouse and our partner school, Institut Catholique de Toulouse across a wide range of academic areas, or, if your French language skills are advanced, take courses in French. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Damariz

Toulouse,France

It’s an outstanding program that enchants our language and culture skills. It helps you view the world in a different perspective and be alert of your surroundings. For example, in France there’s a variety of diversity from all over the world due to the fact that France is close so people migrant to the country. I had the Time of my life I made a lot friends from all over the country. My favorite memory was us in Port Vendres in the Mediterranean Sea.

Honestly i think everything was perfect.
Virginia

Review

This experience was an amazing introduction to traveling abroad. It has inspired me to pursue foreign language much more seriously! although sometimes challenging, this program and really helped expand my language skills. One of the most unique ways that someone can learn a language is to stay with a host family. This program allows you to do so, which also results in more knowledge of the nations culture itself.

This program can be improved through a more formal oreintation proir to arrival to the host families. I believe that it would be less stressful to meet as a group before, rather than being sent home with your host family immediately.
Victoria

Toulouse

It was awesome. I wish that I could have stayed longer. I’m
Over the summer I went to Toulouse, France because I got a full scholarship to study Language and Culture for a month. There were many obstacles to overcome such as the language barrier, cultural differences and behavioral differences. I went into this new adventure without knowing anyone and coming out with new friends. We would go out and explore the city together and live like real french teenagers. I was living with my host family that consisted of two younger girls the ages of 15 and 12. The funny thing about them is that they reminded me of my own family with an occasional bit of confusion. Not a lot of students get along with their host family due to closed perceptions/minds, but everyone and each family is different. One just needs to learn to adapt. As a matter of fact, I adapted so much that I felt like a real Toulousain. I had to get comfortable with public transportation so that I could go to and from my school that was in the heart of the city of Toulouse. There had been occasions just like in NYC, transportation was down due to repairs or accidents. I had to learn how to navigate through a foreign city and deal and respond to these situations by communicating in a language that I am not a native to. Once while on my way home from school, I was on the bus standing next to a lady who suddenly collapsed and fainted. She was unresponsive for a couple of moments. I reacted calmly and asked others for help. One called the ambulance, the bus driver stopped, another was following the CPR procedures, and I offered her some water and snacks. She pulled through.

Adding more interesting activities and afternoon events
Michelle

It is More Than Learning a Language

This program is special for two main reasons. The first is that it allows the participant to choose if they want an English, English/French, or French program. In other words, this program is a self-made experience. You can do almost everything in English or you can choose to almost completely immerse yourself in the culture and language. It depends on the participants' goals in going abroad. There were people my semester who took classes in English, made friends who spoke English, did an internship in English, and then there were people who did the same thing in French. The second reason is because this program requires the participant to live with a host family. This allows the student to be a part of the French culture and feel like a part of the city community. I think the students comes to a better understanding of the culture compared to if they stayed in the dorms with other foreign students. A few other details that make this program stand out is that Toulouse is a student town so there are several other French students and foreign students, and I became friends will several. Further, the support of staff is outstanding. They pour their heart into the program planning activities for students, helping students reach their goals in many ways, and are avaliable at anytime of the day. Then, it was nice to have a small group of Americans to see throughout the semester. In other words, you can immerse yourself in the French culture, but if you need a break to speak English or talk about challenges you are facing, it is nice to have people who speak your native language and are going through the same thing.

There is one aspect that I would change about this program and that is for the study center to offer one or two classes in French that are not about learning the language. For example, to offer a history course in French that is meant for foreigners learning the language.

About CIEE

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and...