IES Abroad Nice Summer – Multiculturalism & Immigration in the Mediterranean

Students pose in front of an aerial view of Nice
Students pose in front of an aerial view of Nice
A student taking a photo
A student taking a photo

The Roman ruins on Cimiez Hill, medieval cobblestone streets, the Largest Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Western Europe—witness these cultural staples and many more when you spend a summer studying abroad in Nice. This gorgeous coastal city in southern France is the perfect place for students interested in studying the growing diversity and multiculturalism in France, the Mediterranean basin, and Europe as a whole, to study abroad and experience all that the city, its people, and culture have to offer.

When you spend the summer in Nice, the city will be your classroom. Learn about topics like the immigrant migration that has taken place over the years, which will enhance your cultural understanding and improve your ability to communicate across different cultures.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Isabel

Food, New Friends, and a Fantastic View

IES Abroad Nice was one of the best decisions I have made in my life! I have never had the opportunity to live and become so submerged into another culture prior to this summer. I have always lived in Michigan and while having the opportunity to travel to various places, I have never been gone from home for so long. Walking to class every morning (even though we had class at 9 or 9:30 everyday which is super early for me) by all of the pastry shops and walking to the Mediterranean ocean after class to sunbathe was literally a dream. In addition, the credits from my classes transferred back to my home school, so I got course credit which was really amazing. This program is super unique, too, because you also get the chance to live in Marseille (another town in France) and to travel around Morocco with the other people on the trip. I got super close with all of the other students as well as the director or the program, and look forward to returning to Nice very soon!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I ate this really interesting octopus dish that was similar to a potato salad almost? Except with octopus and olives. It was good but a little too unique for my taste buds, maybe :)
Karmen

Great Abroad Experience

My experience on this trip was amazing. It was my first time being abroad without my parents and for longer than a few weeks. I was able to be completely independent and experience life in a different country. Because of this I gained a lot of self confidence in my ability to handle situations, like traveling, which would have been difficult for me before. My favorite experience during my trip was in Morocco on our last night there. My host family let me and my roommate try on traditional Moroccan dresses and we had a mini photoshoot. This experience made me genuinely feel like I was part of the family. Since being home in Virginia, I miss Nice and all of the people I met, places I visited, and experiences I had while abroad.

I would recommend spending less time in Marseille, France and more time in Morocco. During the stay in Marseille and Morocco I think having shorter days would be beneficial, by the end we were all tired from constantly doing activities. I think the time in Nice, France was great!