CISabroad - Semester in Aix-en-Provence - Institut Américain Universitaire

With a mild Mediterranean climate, striking scenery, historic sites, and incredible restaurants, it’s easy to fall in love with Aix-en-Provence, or “Aix,” as the locals call it. During Semester in Aix-en-Provence, you can improve your French (or just begin learning the language) as you wind your way around this charming, chic city. A true “college town,” you’ll meet other students from all over the world, and together you can explore the nearby seaside villages, beaches, and exquisite sites. Additionally, you can join numerous service-learning opportunities to get involved both on campus and in your local community. What better way to truly immerse yourself in your new home?

• Diverse course offerings in English and full-immersion French studies
  • Volunteer opportunities including teaching English, olive picking, olive-tree trimming, and tree planting
  • Homestays with locals
  • Orientation in Paris, and trips to Nice, Fontaine de Vaucluse, Les Baux, and Le Luberon
  • Small, safe community in the stunning southern France

Mary

The City of a Thousand Fountains

Every town has a nickname: the City of Lights, the City that Never Sleeps, the Eternal City. Well Aix-en-Provence is the City of Water, the City of a Thousand Fountains. On every street there is a new fountain, and with every new fountain there is a new story. The fountain in la place de Marie, where I sat and watched families take pictures before their weddings, the fountain on Cours Mirabeau, that sparkled with lights as I perused the Christmas market, the fountain by my favorite boulangerie, the fountain that pointed me to my way home, and a thousand more. Each fountain holds a memory of my time in Aix, as they do for thousands of other students, travelers, and citizens. The City of a Thousand Fountains will forever be a special city for me, and I will always treasure every fountain.

The course list could be widened. There are plenty of art courses with the Marschutz School and plenty of business courses, but other courses like Psychology, History, Religion, etc. are few to none.
Emily

Unforgettable semester in Aix

IAU College has a fantastic staff; the professors are multi-lingual and want their students to make the most of their time abroad. I was in the French Honors Program, which I highly recommend because my language skills and my cultural knowledge blossomed. Even with taking only French courses and with an internship, I never felt overwhelmed by the workload; everything is manageable. My host family was also incredible! I loved connecting with real French people every day.

CISAbroad needs to improve its communication. When I was worried about my visa, I felt like there was little I could do but hope for an appointment. Then CIS was late sending my transcripts, which caused some problems at my college.
IAU College, though, has a very supportive staff.
Emma

“Aix”ellent semester in France

When I was researching study abroad programs and thinking seriously about studying abroad, I knew I wanted to be somewhere in southern France. I had a long checklist of things I wanted in my program like a host family, opportunity for an internship, and classes that would fit my major. CISabroad fulfilled all my wishes and more! They were outstanding.

As my departure date from home drew closer, I started to get nervous about the whole thing. Would I find friends? Would I spend way more money than I could afford? Would my host mom like me? But CISabroad had a tool to help with each of these worries. Upon arrival in France, I immediately met other CIS student who would be with me in Aix. CIS provided a sample budget to help me build my own. The CIS liaison at my school was so nice and was committed to getting to know me and making me feel at home. She even offered advice on how to make the most out of a home stay (my home stay was the best!).

In summary, go with CISabroad. They know what they’re doing!

Providing a way to chat with the other CIS students in my program before arriving.
Elizabeth

Aix-en-Provence

I absolutely loved my time in Aix. It's a perfect little city that has remained so authentically French. The streets and fountains in town are so picturesque and the streets are alive with culture and fun. IAU was an amazing host university. They offered us opportunities to meet other students, both American and French.
The range of courses at IAU was great because there was such diversity in the areas of study it atteacted. I lived with an art major, was best friends with an international politics major and was a French education major myself.
If you're enrolling in this program, absolutely take the introduction to wine course. It's only one night per week and class is so much fun. You'll sample different wines and learn to properly taste them. You'll also have the chance to tour different vinyards in Southern France (and of course taste more wine there!)
Everything about my experience from living in Aix to classes at IAU was spectacular. I would go again in a heartbeat and often find myself reminiscing about my time in Aix.

There was a Facebook group of participants so they could get to know each other before the semester started. The other students knew about this and were talking for weeks before coming to Aix but CIS didn't inform me of this so I was a little late in getting to know my classmates.
Emma

Study/Intern in Aix-en-Provence, France

I loved this program! The internship coordinator at my school in Aix was so helpful and made sure I was placed in a good environment that would help me grow. My host family was awesome and I learned so much from that experience. I made friends for life--American, French, and more! My life has been impacted for the better and I have grown immeasurably as a person. It was truly an unforgettable semester.

Some of the directions for applying for my student VISA were a little confusing. It just needs a little revision and it would be perfect.
Chris

Laissez Tomber Vos Inhibitions

This program will provide you every opportunity to take what you want from France. If your goal is to simply find a place to study so that you can travel Europe at your leisure on the weekend, you can do just that. If your goal is to obtain certain credit hours but to do so in a beautiful setting far different from the States, you can do just that. And if your goal is to better your French, you can do just that by fully immersing yourself in the experience of a home-stay and the night life of Aix. However, IAU has a very French way (and preferable in my mind) of facilitating this process. They will provide you all the elements and materials you need to make the leap of immersing yourself but it is up to you to make that leap.

My experience was enjoyable for any number of reasons: I made French friends quickly at the bars, my home-stay was by far one of the best cooks I've ever met, I traveled rarely so I felt like a part of Aix culture as opposed to a tourist of Europe. Additionally, the wine tasting courses are superb and unique to anything that other programs would have to offer. I would fully recommend this to anyone who is willing to put forth the effort to buckling down and learning the language. The rewards are immense.

The communication between the staff responsible for creating events and the students was sometimes lax. Honestly, this was my only complaint as I felt everything else was handled beautifully.

About CISabroad

CISabroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CISabroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad experience...