IES Abroad Paris Summer - Marketing

On this program you can start to learn the French language—even if you've never studied it before—in one of the most famous cities in the world. Enjoy Parisian culture in the summer with festivals, sidewalk cafés, gardens, outdoor markets, and more. Enhance your classroom experience by visiting local museums and touring the city’s many diverse neighborhoods.

Learn French while studying international marketing and brand management in Paris, one of the world’s great cities—home to Global Fortune 500 companies and luxurious brands, as well as sidewalk cafes, stunning gardens, outdoor markets, and more.

As an important international business center that boasts one of the highest GDPs of any city, Paris is an ideal city to study marketing and to begin your study of the French language.

Check out this center for yourself through our virtual tours at www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad/virtual-tour.

Alissa

Studying Abroad with IES Changed My Life!

Studying abroad in Paris over the summer of 2018 with IES was hands-down the best experience of my life. Before Paris, I had never been out of the country. Studying abroad in France taught me how to problem solve by navigating my first foreign country on my own. I learned more than I ever would in a general classroom, and was encouraged by the staff and professors to go out and experience the city. Upon first arriving, I knew very little French. By the end of the summer term, I was confident in my French language skills and even held small conversations with locals. The professors IES has teach the classes are extremely knowledgeable and have many years of experience in their respective fields. I feel I have an advantage over other students in my home school’s business program because I was able to experience first hand how international marketing works. Also, both the professors and IES staff truly cared to get to know each of us individually. At the end of the program, I felt I had made lifelong connections with both my classmates and the staff. IES arranged great field trips to Versailles, the Champagne Region, and more! Overall, IES Paris is an amazing study abroad program that changed my view on both myself and the world. Because of studying abroad, I found my sense of adventure and can't wait to travel the world! I would recommend studying with IES to anyone and everyone!

While this program was nearly perfect, I wish IES offered more scholarships to students on the program.
Justice

Paris is forever in my heart!

The Beginning Language and Marketing program truly changed my life in the best way! I was very worried about going abroad for the summer, but I learned so much about myself and can't wait to go back out into the world! The IES staff are very helpful from the moment you get in the program. Before you even depart, they send very detailed information to both your parents/guardians and yourself. Once you arrive, the center staff are so helpful and always willing to take you somewhere if you're uncomfortable going by yourself! I had trouble finding a phone that worked for me, but a staff member took me to a phone store, translated the whole conversation, and made sure I found something that would last me the six weeks of the program. There are three classes offered, two marketing courses and one French language course. I chose to take both marketing courses, because I felt that my language proficiency was high enough, but any of the classes are worthwhile! I learned SO much both inside and outside the classroom. Staff take you on mostly optional excursions, but I recommend them all. You get to experiences so many things that you may not have, like having tea at the Grande Mosquée de Paris. Paris is also very easy to get around once you learn the transportation system! The art, culture, food, music, and fashion is truly unlike anywhere else! If you're able to study abroad, I highly recommend Paris and IES Abroad!

Tyler

An Experiential Masterpiece

The IES Beginning Language and Marketing program in Paris, France was an awakening experience both in my education and my personal growth. It was a six week extravaganza of learning about the global business world and French culture where each day provided new learning opportunities and fresh experiences. There are three courses typically available for the summer program (unfortunately for my year, there were only two after a professor mixup occurred): Global Marketing, Luxury Brand Management, and French for Beginners. You're supposed to pick two out of the three. I was only able to take Global Marketing and French for Beginners due to the mistake mentioned above, but that did not dampen my experience with this program at all. Each course was paced fairly and never once did I feel overwhelmed with any of the assignments or the marketing group project I was asked to complete. IES makes sure you have a balance in your time dedicated to studies and time for exploring Paris and all it has to offer. The two often mix as some homework assignments are to go out and experience French culture in a way you might not think about (like visiting McDonald's and seeing what's different on the menu compared to the U.S. menu). Overall, the educational adventure of this program is top notch and enlightening in fun and unexpected ways.

On the personal side, I had many of the same fears that students who have never studied abroad had. I had never lived alone before, traveled alone before, and I didn't know a single person in the program. Everything was new from the experiences of getting situated in my apartment to every single person I met. It was nerve-wracking fun, and to get past these initial fears, I simply did not entertain them to a deep level when applying for this program. I only let them come out once I had stepped foot on French soil, but even then they had subsided now that I was face-to-face with this land I had only read stories about and saw in movies. Overcoming the hurtles of stepping out of my comfort level to talk to strangers in my second language (I had taken French for four years previously) which I had never had the opportunity to truly practice, and navigating a new city's unfamiliar transportation system, I discovered a different side of myself that would never have come out if I had not studied abroad. It's IES's job to make you as comfortable as you can be living in the city you choose to explore, but it is a personal responsibility to truly take care of yourself and make the efforts to reach out and dive into the culture firsthand. It was an unforgettable experience, and one that I beg each person considering studying abroad to fully participate in because it is absolutely life-changing. You will never regret studying abroad, but it is very possible that you will regret not taking this opportunity when you have the chance right in front of you. There is too much life out there to experience to remain comfy in your own surroundings, so go out there and live it.

This program can be improved by being more coordinated with the professors to make sure all courses that are typically available to students are, in fact, available to for the students' choosing.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...