IES Abroad European Union

IES Abroad European Union

Taught in English, the IES Abroad European Union Program gives you the chance to study Politics, Economics, Business, and International Relations like you never have before.

The program features an integrative seminar that incorporates approximately 21 days of field study to travel to numerous countries inside and outside of the EU. As you visit each new country, you develop your understanding of the European Union, its history, and its institutions.

Europe will be your classroom. Imagine visiting the European Parliament and discussing current social and political issues with EU officials, or meeting with leaders of multinational corporations to learn about international trade. Welcome to study abroad!

Europe » Germany

Melissa
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania State University

Learning while traveling

If you are looking to study internationally while also fulfilling your major requirements for International Politics, Business, or Econ; or just looking to travel a lot while learning, this is the program for you! I cannot say enough positive things about my experience with this program. For starters I was able to learn so much about the European Union not only in the classroom, but by traveling to different countries and hearing how the EU affects them as a country or even individually. That was probably the most important part of the program, because I don't think it would have been enough to just have sat in a classroom to learn about this material. It was also a great way to experience the different cultures and not just that of your host country. I would like to also say that the staff is absolutely phenomenal. They really care about your experience and do everything they can to make sure you are getting the most out of the program. The teachers are also there for the students! All of the classes I took were really interesting subjects and the professors really brought them to life. Plus the classroom setting is incredibly small so it leaves time for one-on-one help if you need it. This program really helped me to step out of my comfort zone and become more independent! The only issue I had during my entire experience was the fact that the program was a little isolated from Freiburg University. If you were looking to make friends with the locals it was difficult to do, unless you lived in a flat (which I didn't). So for the most part we hung out with each other. This also made it difficult to really submerge yourself in the culture and learn the language. Most Germans in this area were incredibly excited to have the ability to practice their English with someone, so sometimes you didn't get the chance to improve your German. Anyways, I would 100% recommend this program and would do it again if given the chance.

Yolanda
Oceanside, California

My time abroad in Freiburg

In particular, Freiburg is a beautiful place; in the winter there is snow, then comes rain, and in spring time the hills are green and the sun breaks through with warmth. Freiburg is a student town, the German culture is different; it's welcoming, a breath of fresh air, and eye opening. My time abroad, I always felt safe. I also had the opportunity to learn German, which is a goal that I have always wanted to fulfill. I got to participate in the Freiburg Marathon during April with a few of my friends as well as a few faculty members from the program. It was a lot of fun being able to run a 14km through Freiburg. This experience was great; having the people cheer me on as I ran through the city was welcoming, being a part of a team with my friends and professors, and challenging myself by running 14km without stopping and finally crossing that finish line was exhilarating. Furthermore, I got to participate in another run; Run For Europe. This was my favorite run because I got to run a 5K while running between the borders of Briesach Am Rhein, Baden- Wurttemberg, Germany and Ile de Rhin, France with my friends was amazing! I got to run with others who support a united Europe.
After having visited: Amsterdam, Madrid, Barcelona, Greece, Vatican City, Rome, Nice, Paris, Brussels, Czech Republic, Luxembourg, Frankfurt, Basel, Grindelwald, Feldberg, and Freiburg. You learn that there is so much to see, to experience, and that life is a constant journey in which one expands their perspective of the world. I learned that there is so much more to learn, to experience, to do, and to witness. You only get one life and it's your job to live it to the fullest. Since having studied abroad I now have a greater appreciation for the world , cultures, the people that make up each country, and the country's history.
My study abroad experience has helped me grow personally, academically, and as well as professionally. Personally, I have grown to be more confident, independent, assertive, and ambitious through the IES European Union Abroad Program. I am from Oceanside, California and my university is about forty-five minutes from my hometown. I am use to having my family close by and having studied abroad in Freiburg, Germany was a learning process for me. I remember when I first arrived in Germany; at first I was nervous having to say goodbye to my mom because I have always had my support system close by. It was through this marvelous program that I was able to grow to be more confident and ambitious. In my leadership course: Leading Across Political Cultures, I learned to be ambitious and assertive through taking on leadership roles in my course; in our third leadership workshop I volunteered to be a leader in which I was required to lead a group of my fellow students to the destination of our workshop all on my own. In addition for a water conference that we had for this course, I volunteered to be one of the three moderators that had the task of coordinating, organizing, and running the water conference.
Furthermore, this Spring semester I challenged myself to try new things and to push myself to do better in my courses. This particular semester abroad was at times demanding at first but as time went on I got use to the work load. The first week of classes was the intensive phase; in which we had one week to learn the basic history of the European Union as well as an intro to German before we had a trip to Berlin and Prague. The education system for studying abroad was a bit different, in my opinion there is more independence to work on your own, in addition spending time and taking classes with the same seventy students was a nice change. I enjoyed connecting and getting to know these people My home university has five thousand seven hundred and eleven undergraduate students; it was also convenient to have all of my courses in one building, as well as a library, a lounge room, and study rooms within the same building.
In addition to having grown personally and academically, I was able to grow professionally as well. Being a Political Science major and having taken courses that focus on the American government system, I wanted to learn more about the politics of the European Union. I enjoyed getting the chance to learn about European Integration and European Foreign Security and Policy Analysis. It is one aspect to learn about the countries that are in the European Union yet it is another aspect to be able to visit these countries, to apply the knowledge that you learn and to see firsthand the important issues and their impacts that they have on these countries. I loved learning about the Copenhagen criteria, integration, enlargement, the migration crisis, the high youth unemployment in some countries, and as well as other topics about the European Union and the member states.
After having visited the European Commission, the European Parliament, and the European Council. I had the goal of learning more about European politics and expanding my mind on international issues and U.S. relations with Europe. I accomplished this goal this spring semester. I want to attend law school after I complete my bachelors in Political Science and become a civil rights attorney. Having acquired more knowledge about the European Union I have become more aware of the importance to stay on top of current international issues. As a political science it is vital to be versatile and aware of domestic and international politics and the impact that issues and events have on a global scale.
I am thankful and fortunate that I was able to learn about the European Union, to have visited: Czech Republic, France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Nederland's, Switzerland, Belgium, and Germany and during my stay in these countries see firsthand the issues that these countries face. Studying abroad is a once in a lifetime experience and it should be encouraged for all students to do. I am forever grateful for studying abroad and I have grown immensely because of it. It is due to studying abroad in Germany that I have a greater appreciation for the world, for politics, issues that affect the U.S. don't just affect us but they have global effects as well. Moreover, the most important aspect that I took with me from studying abroad is that we are just one speck on this earth; for there is so much more out in the world than we think there is. There is so much to learn and to share with others. Freiburg will always be a place I call home and if I didn't study abroad I would not have learned more, grown more, visited countries, cities, and met wonderful people. If you would like to learn more about the politics of the European Union, visit the institutions of the European Union, then I highly recommend studying abroad with IES through their European Union Program in Freiburg, Germany.

I think the program can be improved by maybe adding a few new countries or one new country to the program based on current events in European Politics. Overall, the program is wonderful and I learned a lot from studying abroad through the IES Abroad European Union Freiburg Program!

Molly
Ithaca College

An Unforgettable Semester in Freiburg

I had an amazing experience with the IES Abroad EU program, and there honestly isn't much I can say that was bad about my semester. Not only did I love living in the beautiful, sunny, and student-filled city of Freiburg, but I also learned so much about the EU that I never would have back home at my own university. The course excursions and extensive program travel were a highlight of my semester, and the trips were well-planned, offering us the invaluable opportunity to travel across Europe and visit many cities, while getting a unique political, historical, and cultural perspective on them that I likely wouldn't have gotten by visiting on my own. Both IES Abroad in general and the IES staff at our center in Freiburg were so helpful and organized and really made an effort to make all students feel comfortable and engaged while abroad.

Freiburg is an absolutely wonderful place to study abroad; it is a charming university city bustling with bikers (Freiburg is very eco-friendly!) and there are tons of things to do in one’s free time. Not only are there tons of restaurants, pubs, cafes, and bakeries to enjoy if you want to enjoy the wonders of German food, but there are also opportunities for shopping, enjoying local parks and the river Dreisdam, or venturing off on a short train ride into the neighboring Black Forest, where you can bike, hike, or ski! The EU program has so much travel incorporated into the semester, often to large European capitals, so having a home base in Freiburg, where it’s not overrun with tourists, was really great.

I lived in a student apartment complex with five German students and one international student. We each had our own rooms and shared two bathrooms, a kitchen, and living area. This living situation was nice because I had a lot of independence and my own space, but I still was able to engage with German students, practice my speaking, and learn about their lifestyles, studies, and interests.

On the topic of costs, which is often an important factor to studying abroad for many people, I would say that doing this program was really affordable, largely because the cost of living in Freiburg is fairly low. There are many options of where to buy food (stores and the local Münstermarkt), and groceries, toiletries and other living necessities were very inexpensive and much less than what you would pay for the same thing in the US (for instance, I could find a jar of jam for 1 Euro or a loaf of good German bread for 2 Euros). Although I’m vegetarian, I found that there were still many options for food, both eating out and buying food at the store. Freiburg also has tons of restaurants, pubs, cafes, and even a pretty good (and very inexpensive) student cafeteria, so there are lots of options for students at very reasonable prices. I won’t lie, the abundance of bakeries and cafes in Freiburg made me quickly addicted to the large array of delicious fresh German bread, pretzels, and pastries.

Although the course workload was definitely vigorous (probably more than other average abroad programs), I learned so much and gained a greater perspective on the EU, world events, and various European cultures. I might also briefly note is that this program is definitely focused on politics, international relations, and economics, and less so on intensive German-language development, understandably. However, being someone who really wanted to practice my German a lot, as I’ve been studying it for many years, I will say that I was a bit disappointed that most students on the program had little to no German language background, so I could not have those types of language engagements with them. Nonetheless, I still had many opportunities to practice German out in public and at home with my flatmates. I would recommend, however, for anyone thinking about studying abroad - to take a semester of German beforehand or have learned a little bit. It makes getting around and having simple interactions with locals much easier!

Overall, my experience in Freiburg and with the EU program was one that I truly will not forget. From visiting many beautiful and historic cities across the EU, to enjoying the Biergartens in Freiburg, to spontaneously deciding with two other students to venture on a 60km bike trip from Freiburg to France and back, the experiences I had were really irreplaceable. Without any hesitation, I would recommend this program to any student interested in the subject matter or who wants to experience life in an active, but charming German university city!

Spencer
Washington, DC
George Washington University

Freiburg

I really enjoyed this program due to the classes that was offered, the travel opportunities, and the city of Freiburg itself. The classes are taught by qualified and interesting professors and I learned a lot about the inner workings and relationships of the European Union. The best part of the program is all the travel that is included. We went to Paris, Luxembourg, Brussels, Prague, Berlin, Strasbourg, and three further countries (I went to Madrid, Barcelona, and Rome) with the program, and got to speak with interesting politicians, academics, and NGO workers such as the Czech Foreign Minister and an MEP from Poland. Freiburg itself is a beautiful city with amazing people, located in the Black Forest and only a 30 minute train or bus ride to France and Switzerland. Overall, I learned a lot and got to see a lot of Europe.

Jack
New York
Skidmore College

Experiencing Europe with IES

During the Spring 2017 semester, I participated in the IES Abroad European Union program based in Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany! I really loved my experience, it was invaluable to say the least. I will look back fondly on my time in Europe and the lessons I learned for the rest of my life. I would recommend the program to any student, especially those with an interest in Political Science, International Relations, or Economics.

My living situation was very pleasant. I lived in a modern, student apartment building called Berliner Allee in a flat with 5 flatmates. There was one other IES student living there; otherwise, all of the other flatmates are German students between ages 24-27. Some IES students use this as an opportunity to practice their German, even though I didn't personally! My flat was remarkably clean because of our "putzplan," or cleaning schedule, which is quite common for German living situations. I wasn't too far away from the IES center where we took our classes; it was about a 15 minute commute if that. Though depending on which neighborhood in Freiburg you end up in, the cleanliness of your flat, the number of flatmates, and the distance from the IES center can vary quite a bit.

As far as academics are concerned, if you are looking for an easy-breezy semester abroad, I would not recommend this program. We took all of our classes at the IES EU center. Obviously like any institution, there are easier and harder teachers and professors, but the required 5-class course load means you will definitely be working throughout the week. I wouldn't say it's as hard as a lot of American colleges and universities, but it is certainly no walk in the park. Finally, since the program includes quite a bit of travel, I definitely did my fair share of work on planes and trains. As we are currently in a period where the European Union is in flux, the topic courses I took, EU and the Muslim World, EU-US Relations, and Migration, were very current and interesting.

For me, travel was far-and-away (pun intended) the best aspect of the program. I can guarantee by the end of the program, you will feel like you did not spend enough time in Freiburg. First, there are 21 days of built in travel included in the program. If you plan no additional trips, you will still get to visit 7-9 countries with your classmates. Second, the program schedule includes two "Wanderlust Weekends." These are weeks with no Friday classes to allow you to get an early start on a fun travel weekend. With mine, I went to London, England and Nice, France; both were lovely. Finally, there is a healthy-sized Spring Break to allow for further travel. In total, I visited 14 countries in Europe and North Africa throughout the semester.

One of the most important things I learned on the program is that the more you travel, the more you realize how much more there is to see. Even though I was lucky enough to see some amazing cities, there were many that I wish I had WAY more time in, and even more that I wanted to see but didn't have the time. You really get an idea of how enormous the world is on this program, which is a lesson worth learning.

Trisha
Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Fantastic semester!

I had an incredible experience with the IES EU Program. My professors were engaging and personable. They encouraged us to have thoughtful discussions and tailored lessons based on our interests. Classes rarely seemed boring or dull. By far the best part of the program was being able to attend meetings on the various trips that we took. This program is so unique in that it takes students to so many countries with no additional cost. My favorite meetings were visiting the Russian embassy in Berlin and meeting with the MEP of the political party Jobbik in Budapest. Our trips were structured well so that we had lots of free time to explore on our own, as well. Freiburg is picturesque and fun in itself. On the weekends we would take quick train into the black forest and go hiking or skiing. There is so much to do, see, and explore. I had a phenomenal time abroad!

Paul
Santa Clara
Santa Clara University

My EU Experience

This program is an extremely unique opportunity for two reasons. The first is that it is so focused on a single topic: the European Union's history and structure. The second is that the cross-continent field trips such as to the European Parliament in Strasbourg or to the rest of the EU government in Brussels are built into your classes. For an Economics and Political Science double major, this was a great opportunity that I am confident will reflect well on me in my professional life. IES is very well organized and will really take good care of you. I never felt like I was "stuck" or mixed up in a situation that couldn't be solved, which is a reasonable worry for someone going on study abroad. Being based in Germany, some people might have worries if they don't speak German. I will say as someone who speaks German that I had an advantage, but the overwhelming majority of people in my program had zero German experience and did just fine. All in all, this is a great program that you won't find a duplicate for and is very well-run.

Maia
Frieburg, Germany
University of Minnesota

Best Experience!

Choosing the IES European Union Program was the best decision that I have ever made. Because the program included travel, I was able to visit 9 different countries across Europe at no extra cost, including places like Bucharest and Budapest. Cities that I would never really think of visiting on my own. More than that, studying abroad gave me a sense of independence and confidence that I would never have been able to achieve otherwise. Having to figure out how to navigate so new places forced me to rely more on myself and pushed me out of my comfort zone. However, I still had support and help from the IES center staff when I needed it. They did a perfect job of making us feel at home and cared for, while also giving us space to challenge ourselves. While there was not as much cultural immersion as I expected (it was difficult given all the travel and being a program full of Americans), I would not change anything because I had so many great experiences and met so many great people in my program that I still talk to today.

Anastasia
State College, PA
Pennsylvania State University

Best Semester

Absolutely loved my program. With the program visited 12 countries. It is a lot of traveling, but the semester is built the way that you don’t get tired or exhausted. Freiburg itself is a safe picturesque city. A lot of good places to go out, weather you want to go hiking or to a nightclub. If your level of German is low or non-excitant, it is not an issue. Pretty much every country we went to and in Freiburg, Englsih is widely spoken, so it was very easy to navigate and live there. IES stuff is incredibly caring and attentive. They helped me and any student who needed help or advice. Living situation is very nice. All buildings are located in safe area, close to a grocery store, downtown and IES center. Even not being a political science or related majors, you can definitely benefit from this program. There is a good variety of classes you can choose from.

N/A

Tyler

My European Union Program Experience

I enrolled in the European Union program in Freiburg to gain a better understanding of European culture through the Political Science and International Relations lens and have the ability to visit famous European cities that were also relevant with our studies.
As a Business major, it would seem that my studies were not exactly compatible with my major. However, I was able to fulfill some of my major requirements while still being able to take some Political Science and International Relations classes that I thought were very interesting and could diversify my academic background.
The semester when I studied, the Fall of 2016, could not have been a better time to study abroad. With Brexit and very similar elections occurring in nearly every major European state coupled with the US elections, the subject matter was relevant to everybody and we had plenty of material to discuss in class and when we visited the different bureaucratic cities.
The relevance of the material we study in class were extremely relevant with the current events and that was vital for me as there was the study aspect in my study abroad and also in practice, as I was able to combine the two together and gain a better understanding for European political culture.
As this program is geared towards Political Science and International Relations majors, there were times where I felt I was out of my element, as I did not possess the foundational knowledge of the subject matter we would study. However, it was still very beneficial for me to study different subjects as a Liberal Arts student.
The program did a fantastic job of balancing class work with our travels, as the professors had a great understanding of our time constraints as our schedule had us outside Freiburg almost every two weeks.
With my college tuition and the study program expense being equal, it was fantastic to be able to visit these cities without paying more out of pocket.
Freiburg is also a vibrant, university-driven town to be in, and in close proximity to France, Switzerland, and other European states.

Zach
Los Angeles
Occidental College

Exploring the European Union

My semester with IES Abroad European Union was an invaluable opportunity to learn and grow. As a student of International Relations and History, I was able to explore my passions within a practical context in Europe. One of the biggest advantages of studying abroad with IES Abroad EU is that you learn just as much in the classroom as outside of it. Within our multiple field trips, I visited 12 countries across Europe, and engaged in meetings with EU officials and academics from a wide variety of fields. Some of my favorite memories include visiting the European Commission in Brussels, hiking in the Alps, and bonding over the cold in Latvia. Moreover, the base city of the program, Freiburg, is a gorgeous and quaint town. It is easily accesible, due in part to the excellent tram system, and will quickly make you feel at home (and it also has a great selection of restaurants). Additionally, the IES Abroad Staff are some of the most attentive and caring people I've ever met, and they would always make sure that everyone on the program was doing well. My semester abroad was a big leap for me - a push to try something new - and I'm immensely glad I did it!

Tess
Santa Clara, CA
Santa Clara University

A Life-Changing Experience

My time in Freiburg was the greatest time of my life, and I highly recommend this program. Freiburg is the perfect city, because it is the right size to feel comfortable and very safe. One of the best parts of the program is the travel included in the curriculum, where you get to travel to eight different cities. The IES center staff do an incredible job planning the trips, providing suggestions and tips for each city and exposing us to unique speakers and experiences. As someone who had never traveled outside the United States before, having a structured form of travel was very beneficial and made travel a lot less overwhelming for me. For a personal example of how helpful the center staff is, I cut my hand while in Freiburg and needed stitches. A staff member scheduled an appointment for me with a doctor that speaks English to remove my stitches, which was incredibly helpful and made a stressful and scary situation much easier. This program and this city is one you will not regret experiencing!

n/a

Teresa
Norfolk
Babson College

The Discovery of Fernweh

fernweh | (n.) when you feel like you have to leave your familiar surroundings to discover new places. it is the need for distance, the wish to experience something far away from home, the urge to escape from your everyday life by travelling

The IES Freiburg EU program was the perfect way to find Fernweh! Freiburg was the perfect home-away-from-home. It was safe, beautiful, fun, and the perfect size for the aspiring city girl. I had my little slice of heaven hidden away in the Black Forest! We were able to travel so much - which was so easy due to the central train station in Freiburg.

Katie
Winlock
Wagner College

Best Semester So Far!!

The EU program was so much fun!! Especially the travel aspect, you go somewhere once a week every month and it's the best thing about the program. The center is really nice, some of the professors are great while others are meh, as usual. Classes were interesting for the most part.
There's some good places to go out in Freiburg, and the food is the BEST. There are a bunch of shops down the main street downtown to go shopping. It felt like we weren't in Freiburg much because of the travel but the time we were in town was great.
A couple things to think about are if you plan on fully immersing yourself in German culture you're going to have to do everything you can do to that. In Freiburg you're in classes at the IES Center not the local University, so you're spending 80% of the time surrounded by Americans. Also, this is not a program you can go into assuming you're going to barely be doing any work. For me, it was like any other semester work wise. All of that being said I LOVE Freiburg and being there was so much fun, and I would absolutely go again!!

Olivia
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Pomona College

Wonderful Semester in Freiburg, Germany (IES European Union)

Classes:

My IES classes were generally good and not too hard, but they required time-management. I found that there was a fair amount of “busy” work and a few too many tests and papers, but my classes in Freiburg were still easier than the classes I take at my home university.

IES does not allow laptops in class, so if you (like me) like to have your readings in class for reference, you’ll have to print everything. Instead of wasting paper, I ended up taking a lot of reading notes—tedious, but I eventually got used to it.

Overall, I learned a fair amount in my classes and enjoyed them, but I wouldn’t say that they were the highlight of my semester.

Travel:

I visited 9 cities with IES, and had a great time on all of my trips. On most days, we had lectures in the morning (sometimes long and boring, but usually informative) and free time in the afternoon/evening.

If you want to make the most of your free time, you definitely need to do some research in advance. I spent a lot of time on my trips trying to figure out what to do/where to go, so I wish I had taken the time to do some advance planning.

Because I traveled so much with IES, I didn’t end up traveling too much on my own. Once I got back from my IES trips, I was pretty exhausted and preferred to spend my weekends in Freiburg. I also took some day trips around Germany, France and Switzerland (yes, you can go to France or Switzerland for brunch if you want to).

Freiburg:

I absolutely loved Freiburg. It is a university town, so there are tons of young people around and lots of student-friendly places to eat/shop/hang out.

I lived in a flat with 5 other students in a building called Berliner Allee. The flat had 6 single rooms, 2 bathrooms and a shared kitchen. Every student had an assigned bathroom along with assigned kitchen shelves and space in the refrigerators. I was also entered into the flat “putzplan,” or cleaning plan, which rotates weekly.

My building was very well-located. I had 2 grocery stores, a bank, a coffee-shop, a pharmacy and a beautiful park within walking distance, and I was only about a 10 minute tram ride from downtown Freiburg. My building was also very close to another student housing complex.

Due to the German semester system, students in Freiburg tend to move in and out of apartments frequently. When I first moved into my flat, I had 2 flat-mates from Germany, one from Romania, one from France and one from Lithuania. Some of these flat-mates moved out within a few months and their rooms turned over, but I was lucky and ended up liking everyone I lived with.

Learning German:

Before arriving in Freiburg, I did not speak a word of German. This made my transition fairly challenging—I couldn’t read a menu, understand labels in the grocery store or pharmacy or ask basic questions in a store. My German class at IES taught me a fair amount (enough to understand the basics), but I didn’t become as comfortable with the language as I would have liked. German is not the focus of the EU program, and you can get around Freiburg with English. Expect to learn something, but you won’t be fluent in German by the end of the semester.

Meeting German Students:

I met a fair number of German students (flat-mates and others), and became quite close to them. In fact, I had closer connections to Germans than most of my friends from IES because I was more inclined to get out of the “American IES bubble.”

My German friends were wonderful, and they invited me to lots of different events. I went to a German acoustic-punk concert at a local bar—definitely not an event I would have found on my own—and to many dinners and picnics. My German friends enjoyed practicing their English with me, and they helped me a lot with my German. One friend helped me study for my German oral exam and my German flat-mates loved to answer my homework questions.

It is very easy to stick to other Americans in Freiburg, but it is worth it to make an effort to meet Germans. Flat-mates are a great place to start!

Would I Choose the IES EU Program Again?

Definitely!

Adrienne
Waldorf, MD, USA
The Catholic University of America

Best Decision I've Ever Made

My semester abroad was my first time being so far away from home, and naturally I was nervous, but by the end of the semester I didn't want to go back on the plane ride home. Going abroad was one of the best decisions I've ever made! I've been taking German for three years and going to Freiburg, Germany was my first time in Germany so I was finally able to put my skills to the test. Through this program I was able to accomplish all three of my goals: improve my German, learn about European politics, and travel. Along the way I made great friends, met people from across the globe, and grew as a person. I cannot stress enough how much this program will do for its participants.

Program scheduling could be improved, limited time space to complete work especially when classes end late and no one wants to do work while on the program trips.

Renjia
Brooklyn
University of Rochester

A experience that makes a lifetime impact

Studying abroad in Freiburg im Breisgau, a small city in SüdDeutschland(South Germany) seems like an underrated opportunity so far. But comparing to other IES Programs in Europe it's absolutely unique. People gain both local experience in a typical German town and international experience by taking field trips to other countries in this program. For me, a student major in International Relations it's a mind-opening experience. The courses I took at the IES Center took an in-depth look into European Union, not only were we able to study the institutions, organization, development, policy-making and controversies of the EU, the course design also offered the micro aspect of it. I took a class called Regions in the EU, which focused on how countries adopted the EU legislation and how much legislative freedom they still have under the EU law supremacy.

I also took a class about EU and Muslim, which discussed the development and current controversies surrounding the Muslim communities in some of the EU's member states. But what really helped me gain more passion about my studies were the field trips and the model EU. We were able to meet and talk to people who study and work on some of the most concerned current issues in Europe. For example, we met someone from the refugee committee in Athens who gave us the local perspective of the refugee crisis. Another precious part of the experience was being able to look at issues from countries that were often times neglected on mainstream US media. I took a field trip to three Central Eastern European countries: Czech Republic, Hungary and Romania, learning about its communist history and the current perspective on issues like EU development and refugee crisis. Representing Finland in my council for model EU also helped me look more into policies of a small state like Finland. It also made me realize how difficult it is to reach agreement while having 28 different voices on the table.

An amazing thing about this program is that it offers opportunity for internship after the program. This program offers a few intern positions working for MEPS in the European Parliament, and it also allows you to apply for an internship in Freiburg, which is what I ended up doing. My German is far away from being proficient, but I was able to work at the Carl-Schurz-Haus, a German-American cultural institute that brings events focusing on both cultures. It's a rewarding experience that allowed me to understand the German organizational culture more and interact with people from the local community. People at my internship site were really nice and I had such a good time. It was also really nice to be able to stay in Freiburg during the summer.

Another reason I would recommend this program is the fact that it's cheaper to live in Freiburg comparing to other cities in Europe(especially like Paris and Copenhagen...Trust me you will miss Freiburg or any other city in Germany after you paid $15 for a Danish hot dog in Copenhagen and $9 for a glass of beer in Helsinki...). The food lacks variety in Germany, that I agree, but I definitely fall in love with German food during my time there. I remember buying currywust for only 2-3 euros in Munster, grabbing pretzels from the local bakeries, getting gelato for 1 euro/scoop near the tram stop everyday before I headed home from the internship, and buying beer before sitting down in Mensa for the Euro 2016 games. In Freiburg IES students are able to live in student apartment with German student from Freiburg University. The accommodation is way better than my on-campus dorm, there's an actual kitchen where you can really be a chef and host friends. My room at Vauben, the student village was not spacious but still acceptable and big enough to be comfy. Vauben is also 10 minutes walk from the black forest where you can easily go for a weekend hike.

Being in Freiburg means geographically you are almost in the center of western Europe. Even though it's a small city, the fact that you are near the French-Swiss border makes travel quite convenient. It takes a bit more than an hour going to Alsace region in France(Colmar, Mullhouse,Strasbourg) and it's takes similar amount of time going to Basel in Switzerland, where you can take flight to other European destinations from the Euro Airport there. For other flights usually people go to airports in Frankfurt, which is around 1,5 hours by train from Freiburg. Flights in Europe are way cheaper comparing to the ones in US, as there are many cheap flight companies and it's incredibally cheap if you buy tickets in advance. I benefited from such convenience and traveled to 14 countries in total during my time abroad(8 on my own). My favorite trips include going to see Germany vs Slovakia as part of the Euro 2016 in Lille, France. Now I feel like I'm almost a pro traveler and this program really helped me discover my passion for travel!

As you can see, the IES EU program in Freiburg offers way more than what its name might appeal to you. It also offers extra opportunities if you are interested and determined. My time with this program really helped me to grow and become a new person. People should consider this program if they want to discover Europe, EU and themselves.

-Maybe no class on Friday so students get more time for travel
-Longer placement for the summer internship!

Hanh
Grinnell

Great Program

I learned so much about the topics, while having a fun semester traveling to 7 different European countries. The field trip was absolutely amazing. Because the topic was European Union, we were taken to many different countries to learn from first-hand experience. Before, after, and during the field trips, professors helped facilitate discussion about relevant topics so that we could get the most out of our talks with experts in each country. Overall, the field trip was really fun and educational. IES Abroad staff are very supportive and sensitive to students' needs. I love my professors, they are very approachable and knowledgeable of their field.

Danica
Milton, Pennsylvania

Experience of a lifetime

I absolutely loved this program! Through the program I was able to go to over 10 different countries in the span of three months. The travel is definitely the best part about this program and during each trip that is included there are various meetings in which I learned a great deal about the European Union. My favorite trip moment was when I was able to go to Disneyland Paris when I had a free day! Now I know I just went on and on about he travel, but the home city of Freiburg definitely has to be mentioned as well. Freiburg is a smaller college city but there is plenty to do and places to see. There is a great social scene because of the college aspect which makes for a really fun atmosphere. I highly recommend this program to anyone that loves to travel but also wants to learn a ton about Europe!

Diane
Greenville, NC
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

Semester of a Lifetime

The IES: European Union program is located in the small German town of Freiburg, surrounded by the Black Forest. Being from the coastal plains of North Carolina, it was exciting to be living so close to mountains. I lived in Berliner Allee, a student apartment just a 15 minute tram ride away from the IES center. My flatmates were awesome, helping me learn how to cook and constantly correcting/improving my German. Berliner Allee is a short walk away from Seepark, which has a lake and is great for picnics or walks. It is also conveniently close to a Turkish döner shop and a bakery.

Freiburg is a very green city, so be prepared to dodge bikes everywhere. The trams are very easy to use but on warm days I would just walk wherever I needed to go. The IES center is very close to the city center which has lots of shops, cafes, and the Münsterplatz, the best place for a lange rote or fresh flowers!. There are also various bars, plays, concerts, and so many 90s themed clubs to go to. Scenic towns in both France and Switzerland are about 45 minutes away by train for quick day trips!

The program is taught in English but does require a German language class. The courses range from history of the EU, to EU policies, and even some business related classes. I highly recommend any class taught by Thomas Staub he was a little strict but a fair grader and funny. During one of the three field excursions, the professors arrange guest speakers whose work is related to what is discussed in the class. For my course on migration, I got to visit the European Network Against Racism office in Brussels and learn how the organization works at a multi-level to aid and protect minorities throughout all of the EU’s member states. The field excursions were an amazing opportunity to visit various other European countries. About three weeks was spent traveling with the IES program. During the trips, there are still assignments and papers due for classes which can be stressful with poor time management skills. While it was great to see famous landmarks and gorgeous castles, returning to Freiburg always put a smile on my face.

I had the time of my life studying abroad. I was able to learn and grow so much in the span of four months. From learning how to cook to speaking German to locals to trying to navigate metros in countries I had no clue how to speak the language. By the end of my stay, I could plan mostly successful trips and not completely panic when lost or almost missing the bus. I met so many amazing people and made great friends. I will miss the quick runs to my favorite bakery in between classes and walking back to Berliner Allee with a gelato in hand on a sunny day.

The attendance policy was strict and the class schedule set up made it difficult for planning weekend trips.

Hannah
Temecula, CA

Freiburg: The Green City of Germany

After living in Southern California my entire life, I chose to experience a culture other than Mexican food and the beach 24/7. I chose to study in the small town of Freiburg, Germany, which borders France and Switzerland and has a population of 200,000 people. Although I came to Germany to experience a culture shock, I came in with expectations about people who value beer drinking, wurst eating, and organization. Little did I know Freiburg is where the average hippie meets traditional German culture, creating a unique mix.

When I first arrived, I was eager to see my new living situation. As I got off the tram stop for the first time, I realized I was not in stereotypical Deutschland anymore. The dorms are adorned in paintings of flowers and bunnies. Hanging above doors are white banners with the words “Refugees Welcome”. To my right I saw people in parachute pants with dreadlocks, chilling around a campfire. Volkswagen vans and random shacks surrounded me in what appeared to be a junkyard, but are actually homes for the local hippie commune.

Finally, I arrived at my flat where naturally there was a couch on the patio blocking the door. I cautiously stepped in, and saw the walls were orange with paint and graffiti all over, some which read “Abolish capitalism”. There were lights, a ladder, and vines hanging from the ceiling. After listening to this description, many people may think I am living in Berkeley, CA. In reality I am living in Vauban student housing, where the greenest of the Green party members live in Freiburg.

As a result of living in the Green City, I have adapted to many simple uniquely Freiburg customs. The city itself is traversed by way more bikes than cars. Back home when I cross the street I naturally look out for cars, but now I must look for cars, trams, and bikers. Needless to say, I have been almost run over multiple times.

In the states when I am finished eating a banana and granola bar, I walk to the single trash can and throw away my food. In Freiburg, however, there are four trash cans. One must throw away the granola bar wrapper in the plastics trash can and the banana peel in the compost section. I still find myself sometimes blankly staring at the trash for five minutes trying to determine where each piece of trash goes.

But the most valuable lessons here come from political discussions with my flatmates. Many of them are from the socialist party in Germany and are very left-wing, in contrast to my professors who tend to be pro-European Union and Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany. It is refreshing to hear about other democracies and the German perspective of the United States.

Although Freiburg is a free-spirited culture, it still embraces some of the German stereotypes. For example, the extremely aggressive, harsh sounding language. Someone might be saying “I love you” but instead it sounds like “Get out of the way, before I rip your head off.” It does not help that as a culture they do not smile while speaking. It makes you feel like they are always mad at you, when in fact they might really like you.

Also, the stereotype of German efficiency is real. If you are on time, you are late, even in the laid-back town of Freiburg. Multiple times I have sprinted toward the tram to get to school because the tram came a minute early. Even grocery checkout is efficient, with the checkers scanning food so fast you barely have time to take out your eco-friendly bag, before they are already done with scanning all 20 of your items.

Upon arrival I thought I knew everything about the world and myself, but within the first day I learned I knew very little about both. The sooner I embraced this concept, the more I enjoyed each city I visited because I would come into a city with a blank slate.

Putting aside the stereotypes has allowed me to form my own opinions and thoughts on new cities without having too high of expectations.

There is nothing I can think of.

Kayley
Athens, GA
George Washington University

An Exercise in Self-Discovery

As a low-income student, the idea of studying abroad was kind of a pipe dream. In addition to my finances, I was going through a personal struggle at home that threatened any possibility of participating in study abroad. However, I had saved the amount of money required for the semester in Germany, and I had already missed registration for classes during the spring semester. I was afraid I would come to regret my experience and my choice to study abroad. I was afraid that I would be too distracted by everything going on at home to even enjoy exploring and learning from my host country. Most of all, I was afraid that I would have wasted time and money on this journey. I could not have been further from the truth.
I made two friends on my first night in Germany, and I met them at what would soon become one of my favorite restaurants in Freiburg. On the first program trip (Berlin and Prague) I found what would soon become my closest friends on the program. On my first day of instruction, I met some of my favorite professors. IES Abroad was able to give me an array of experiences that helped me discover many things about myself. One aspect about myself that I was shown was just how independent I am capable of being. I had always regarded myself as an independent person, but the independence and confidence that comes from studying and living abroad is one of a different nature. Whether it is through engaging in conversation with someone who does not share your language or traveling from Portugal to Germany using eight different modes of transportation, you will find a confidence and comfort in the uncomfortable and strange.
Even though it seemed like the absolute wrong time to go abroad and study, it turned out to be the perfect time for it. If I had to impart one impression or one piece of advice, it would be to simply do it. Take the risk and do it because you won't regret it. Rather, you will learn more about the world and yourself by participating in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Viel Glück!

Rachael
Saratoga, California
Mount Holyoke College

IES Abroad EU: Experience Europe

IES Abroad is very hands-on in their approach: from the excursions (22 days of travel and learning!) to the cultural events (Fasnet anyone?) to massive consumption of kaffee und kuchen, they know how to give their students a diverse, European perspective. I loved learning about the local politics of Freiburg one week, and then seeing the supranational recommendations of the European Commission the next week. European politics, economics, and affairs meet curious students who get the chance to hear first-hand accounts from academics and policy-makers, as well as individuals in non-profits and government run organizations. Anyone looking to work internationally or in government should seriously consider this program, especially if you love to travel!

I would say that one improvement could be to encourage students to make friends outside of the center, as I felt like by the end of the semester I hadn't me that many people. It is a big program, so even trying to meet everyone is a challenge. Perhaps a smaller applicant pool?

Catherine
Bronx, NY
Fordham University

An EUropean Semester

This semester was a highlight of my college career. I learned so much about European Politics and I gained a new perspective on American politics. The classes weren't too difficult, so there was time to explore the city. Also, the program takes you on three field trips throughout the semester. This is a unique opportunity to meet with politicians, journalists, professors, and students. In Budapest, I got to hear the Secretary to the EU for Hungary talk about their position on the refugee crisis. It was incredible to interact with politicians. I highly recommend this program!

I would change the housing situation. The people in your program are split among different housing locations. There are perks of this, you get to see new parts of the city and different housing options. I would of liked to live near everyone in my program.

Caroline
CT
Villanova University

The Best Way to Travel Europe

The EU program was absolutely amazing, and really the most unique study abroad program out there! Freiburg, Germany, where the program is based is an adorable little town filed with really cool people. It is an extremely green city nestled within the Black Forest, just across the border from both France & Switzerland. I spoke no German, and never found myself in trouble because of that. Freiburg is full of students and families, and I never felt unsafe. I lived with 5 other German students, and was really able to get to know them. Freiburg definitely came to feel like home, and I'd love to go back. Academically, the classes weren't a walk in the park like other programs. They required a fair amount of work, and genuine interest in the topic you are studying. I am not an economics nor political science major, but still found classes I enjoyed. The professors really care about you as students and you get really unique perspectives from them. The BEST part of this program is the travel. I went to 15 countries, and had a great time on every trip. Study abroad is all about these unforgettable experiences, and the 3 weeks of travel included on this program add to that!

We spent a lot of time in the classroom, would have liked more free time.

Sean
Tacoma, Washington
University of Puget Sound

A New Experience Everyday

One of the memorable experiences this program allowed me and the rest of those on the program to have was a trip to the European Parliament building in Strasbourg, France. On the surface, this was going to be a trip to an institution that certainly lacks popularity and overall importance if you were to ask the average citizen in the European Union. But, the European Parliament has accomplished a lot and is extremely significant (when you go on this program you will learn more than you need to know about this institution). When we got there we learned that we may actually be able to hear Chancellor Merkel of Germany and President Hollande of France speak to the Parliament, which was an historic occasion. So we went through security and got into the viewing area but unfortunately had missed Merkel's speech. Luckily, we got to hear the last 10 minutes of Hollande's speech and the responses by Parliament members. While listening to Hollande's speech, we were allowed the "pleasure" of also hearing Nigel Farage, of UKIP in the UK, make remarks towards Hollande. Hollande proceeded to tell those that are Eurosceptics and against the European project as a whole should just go ahead and leave the Union. Now those were some strong words. I will never forget listening to that and being able to listen and see those important government officials.
Overall, the program is incredible. The travel is extensive and exhausting but provides you with numerous memorable experiences that may not seem as memorable to others but to you will have special significance. Being able to go back to Freiburg after the week-long trips is great too. Freiburg quickly became one of my favorite cities in the world and while it may seem small, has so much to offer.

Access to the library in Freiburg would be awesome because the lack of a great place to study like that was slightly annoying.

Emily
Long Valley, New Jersey
Villanova University

Studying and experiencing the European Union

The IES European Union program gave me the most exciting and unique experiences of my life through education, cultural understanding, and plenty of time for tourism as well. This program allowed me to see and experience the culture in 13 European countries, meet diplomats, CEOs, party leaders, and high government officials during our multiple week long course excursions. Visiting the Member States and Institutions was an invaluable experience that truly supplemented all of the work we did in the classroom. The importance of the European Union and the relevant courses offered by the program kept us students informed and active with the issues, and propelled discussion well after class was dismissed. Discussing the current issues of the migration/refugee crisis and the environmental issues as the nations grapple with the issues proves to be a great learning and philosophical experience.
Living alongside German students from the University also proved to be crucial cultural immersion. Cooking, laughing, and singing with these students proved to be some of the most cherished memories from my experience abroad.
The supreme location in the Black Forest with both France and Switzerland at your fingertips, I was able to experience and learn from so many different ways of life. I have never had a more exciting four months in my life and I would do anything to get to relive this experience again. Swimming in the Aegean Sea and skiing in the Swiss Alps within the same week was one of the many many unbelievable experiences this program offered me and it is with a smile on my face that I would recommend it to the next generation of Study Abroaders.

The program could have released class and event schedules earlier to allow students to plan visits and travel abroad ahead of time to avoid any conflicts and extra expenses.

Mia
Tacoma, Washington
University of Puget Sound

Best Four Months!

Studying abroad was most definitely the best four months of my life filled with traveling to 20 European cities, making a home in Freiburg, visiting European institutions and organizations, and creating endless memories with the people on my program.

Housing:
There are about four to five residential buildings that the 70some of us on the program all lived in. It is about a 20-30 minute tram ride between the different dorms which does separate people at first, but eventually students would travel to other dorms together. Living arrangements vary from 5-8 suitemates—who are generally University of Freiburg students. My suitemates were very friendly and welcoming and were genuinely interested in my experience in Germany. Getting to know your suitemates is a great way to interact with local students and immerse more into the local culture. Note for the students studying abroad in the Fall: the university students do not usually arrive until mid to late October—so things are quieter and slower at first, but once they arrive things start to pick up!

Freiburg:
There are not enough words to describe how great of a city Freiburg is. It’s a small to medium sized university town where you can easily get around, by foot or the convenient tram, and be comfortable with your surroundings. I felt safe and comfortable adjusting to the city and while I did a lot in the city throughout my four months there, it is a big enough city where there was still a significant amount of things I did not get to do.

Academics:
The IES EU Center is a nice and comfortable building…that we spent A LOT of hours in...to study, hang out, and for classes. The seminar is based on your previous political science classes and focuses on a more in-depth knowledge of the European Union institutions and their workings. A German class is required but previous German knowledge is not needed. I had taken four semesters before studying abroad and my language did improve by hearing locals speak and talking more than usual but due to this being an English speaking program, personal effort is necessary to progress your language ability. The other three courses are electives—the great thing about these are the local field trips and lectures you attend (during course excursions) relate to the material learned in class. The Model EU at the end of the program effectively summed up the program. We were able to take everything we learned throughout the semester and apply it to relevant policies.

Course Excursions:
The field trips were the highlight of the program—it makes it a unique program and take you to places, like the European Commission, European Parliament, various think-tanks, academic experts and more, that normally one does not have the opportunity to experience. The meetings and people we met with on these course excursions allowed us to see how the “experts” of the European Union deal with the current events. The excursions are well-planned out and the days are busy filled with meetings but there is still time to enjoy the cities.

I would highly recommend the IES EU program for many reasons—especially to those who are interested in aspects of politics and economics, as this program is heavily focused on these academic areas. I’m already counting down the days till I can go back and explore more of Europe and especially visit Freiburg again!

-The amount spent in the classroom/IES center, while understandable due to our days spent traveling, did get tiring.

-I would have appreciated more activities during orientation to bring the students closer together.

Alyssa
San Diego, CA

Learning by travel

I had a really great experience with IES in Freiburg. The highlight of the program is definitely the travel trips. We got to see many countries while going to informative meetings and getting to know the culture. We always had a guided tour of the city we visited which was very helpful in getting around and learning about the way of life. The professors really care about you and want you to succeed. Also, learning about the European Union while living in the midst of international crises and debates is incredible! Freiburg is the perfect home base for study abroad. IES connects you with activities in the city as well as in the surrounding area. It really was a fantastic experience!

If I had to change one thing, I would ask that all students in the program live in the same area. It was sometimes difficult to see each other when the trams stopped running.

Spencer
Bay are, California
Pomona College

A Very European Experience

I know I will sound like a broken record but deciding to study abroad in Freiburg on the European Union program was one of the best decisions of my life. The program incorporates everything I possibly could have looked for in a study abroad. I got a chance to break out of all the comforts I know from the US and live somewhere completely new. When I got there I was probably about as nervous as I’ve been for anything in my life. The minute you check in though the IES staff is already taking amazing care of you. Day 1 the office administrators are already completely invested in making sure you have a fantastic time abroad. The way they make you feel welcome and included from the first day to the last is truly very remarkable.

As for academics I would say the teachers you learn from are about as qualified as it gets. IES brings in experts from various political or economic backgrounds to teach these courses. Not only do these experts really know what they are talking about but they are also super approachable. If you ever need help or are interested in learning more beyond what you are learning in class, they are happy to engage with and guide you. By the end of the semester your professors will go beyond being your teachers and become mentors for more than just academic work. I met with almost all my teachers at least once outside of class to hang out and get to know each other better either as a class or individually.

The value of this program goes well beyond the classroom though, culturally and socially Freiburg is an awesome place to be. As a middle sized college town in south west Germany you get lots of incredible authentic experiences such as the Weihnachtsmarkt (world famous German Christmas markets that are pretty much a constant source of merriment once they start up). In terms of daily life there are loads of amazing pubs or restaurants to go to where you can meet locals or just relax and hang out with friends. In particular, the Irish Pub O’Kelly’s is an awesome spot. As for the food in the restaurants I could go on and on forever but what I will say is that it is incredible and very affordable. I got hooked on several things there that I have mild to moderate withdrawals from now.

One of the most unique features of this program is the academically integrated field study trips. Throughout the semester there are a few day trips and three week long trips to various member states and institutions in the European Union. Not only does this mean the program organizes all the travel with all of your friends from the program for you, but you also get to hear from people actively working with the concepts and within the structures you are learning about. Not to mention that since Freiburg is so centrally located with easy access to an airport travelling in smaller groups on the weekends is incredibly easy to organize. I went to 14 countries (including multiple cities in a couple of them) 9 of which were with the program. Basically if you are looking to see a lot of Europe this is a great program to do it. Plus, you learn stuff about the places you are going to that would be very hard to do on your own.

I will wrap up with a little more about the community IES sets up on this program. Beyond being friendly the staff at the center does a great job taking this huge group of students from all over the US with different backgrounds and bringing us together. By the end I felt really friendly with almost everyone on the program and there were 69 of us so that’s saying something. Over the course of 3 and a half months being there I not only learned a ton about the European Union but had an amazing time making fantastic memories doing it. The program is pretty politics heavy academically, but if you can go on this program I highly recommend you do. Freiburg and the people I met there will always have a special place in my memory. I grew in many ways I never would have expected when I left but am so happy I was able to. If you choose this program and go with an open mind, I will basically guarantee you will have a magnificent time too!

Missed classes often get rescheduled from 6:15-7:45 if they could try to avoid this time period for class that would be great. It is hard to focus when class is exactly when you would normally be eating dinner. I often got very hungry and couldn't really focus or they could provide food so that we weren't hungry all through class. However this is a very small complaint because this program is excellent.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to