IES Abroad European Union Summer

IES Abroad European Union Summer

Based in Freiburg, Germany, the European Union Summer Program takes you on extended field study trips to Turkey and the Western Balkan states for an intensive study of the European Union and its relationships with its neighbors to the east. This program challenges you with a unique Integrative Seminar and with a variety of elective course options.

Europe » Germany » Freiburg
Contact IES Abroad or see website for details: www.IESabroad.org/europeanunion

Julia
University of Puget Sound

Amazing EU Summer

Freiburg is such a cute little university town. There's plenty of great food and fun places to go. All of the university students were very welcoming and friendly. I lived in university housing, and it was clean and relatively up-to-date. The staff at the EU Center is great, and the course-related excursions were super interesting. Since Freiburg is kind of in the middle of Western Europe, it was very easy to travel.

The courses are definitely academically rigorous, sometimes I wished there was a little more free time.

Lorraine
Moberly, Indiana
Indiana University- Southeast

Ich bin Freiburger

I always said I could never miss anywhere but my home in Indiana, but Freiburg proved me wrong. I don't know if it's the cobblestone streets, streams lining the roads, or gothic cathedral in the city's center, but Freiburg and its charms captured my heart. I had an apartment to myself, but you can also share an apartment in Vauban, either of which is just a tram ride away from the IES Center where classes are held. The staff at the IES Center was great. They gave us jerseys to wear during the Euros, advice on where to find the best souvenir shops and restaurants, and opportunities to bond with the other program members. We took field trips to three different countries: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Greece, and Cyprus, and they were all very well organized. The program even provides classes in German for beginners, although the daily courses are in English. My life has forever been changed by this program, and I highly encourage studying abroad, wherever that may be.

-I wish that the course load was lightened just a little. With classes five days a week and mountains of reading assigned, it was hard to juggle both school and exploration.
-The attendance policy could use some revision. Getting 3% off your grade for an unexcused absence is rough.

Muhammad
Karachi, Pakistan

Top Notch Experience

I studied abroad with IES Abroad in Freiburg, Germany during my sophomore year for one semester. Studying abroad in Germany was the best time in my life. Through my experiences abroad, I have developed to overcome challenges and gained new perspective to look at the world from various point of view. Student from diverse backgrounds, sitting together at the Augustinerplatz to enjoy the end of the day and picturesque landscape of the gateway to the Black Forest have indeed added charm to my experience in Freiburg. My memories from Germany are filled with limitless joy and happiness. I would highly recommend studying abroad with IES Abroad in Freiburg at the European Union program.

Work load could have been reduced a bit so that students in their personal time can explore around Europe.

Jessica
Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

Unforgettable Summer Abroad

The opportunity to study abroad this past summer was one I'm glad I took advantage of, especially through the IES European Union program. Germany had always been a future travel destination for me and being able to spend several weeks there gave me exposure to a different country, culture and social scene. The academic aspect of the program focused on the Western Balkans and Turkey's integration into the European Union and allowed us to travel to both Bosnia and Turkey, two places I never would have considered had I not been in the program. Being able to experience a country and its culture first-hand after just having learned about it was incredible especially since we had the chance to speak EU officials and other people in the region. My summer abroad not only allowed me to recieve credit for two classes, but I gained many new friends, amazing memories and has encoraged me to consider working abroad in the future.

The structure of the academic work could be done differently, where most students felt more prepared for the Bosnia field study trip and less prepared for the Turkey trip because the amount of time spent on the material.

Akshina
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Liberation

My Study Abroad experience was liberating because it helped me gain different perspectives on life. The field trips to Turkey and Bosnia were especially enriching.
Liberation is not escapism, it is a way of reflecting on life.

pittabroad
Bryn Mawr, PA

Best Summer Ever

The program is administered in true German efficiency. All of the logistics are taken care of, but they are still respectful and treat you like an adult. The courses are interesting and rigorous but do not get in the way of the study abroad experience. Freiburg immediately feels like home. The field study program is unforgettable. The problem with the program is returning back to your normal life. Enjoy.

Honestly, if anything, it should be longer. More language courses could also be helpful.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to