IES Abroad European Union Summer

Based in Freiburg, Germany, the European Union Summer Program takes you on extended field study trips to Turkey and the Western Balkan states for an intensive study of the European Union and its relationships with its neighbors to the east. This program challenges you with a unique Integrative Seminar and with a variety of elective course options.

Isabelle

Freiburg Germany: An Experience of a lifetime

My time in Freiburg Germany over the summer of 2018 was one of the best experiences I have had. The IES program is extremely organized and the classes I attended were so interesting. The information I learned in these classes was not only relevant to my major, but I have been able to use the information I learned and apply it to classes I am currently enrolled in at Indiana University. Beside having a great class experience, other aspects of the program such as my living situation and the friends I have met all made my experience that much more special. You will not regret studying abroad and while it can be intimidating, if you have the opportunity to go abroad I would highly recommend you do.

I chose to live in a communal apartment where I shared my common living space with other German students. I was intimidated at first because I did not know any German and was afraid there would be a major language barrier, but my roommates proved to not only be nice, but people who made me feel very welcome. A few nights throughout my time in Germany, my roommates made me traditional German meals. It was such a fun experience to not only cook a variety of different foods but sit and talk to my roommates and learn more about their culture as they learned more about mine.

Because my program was during the summer it was a much smaller program than a normal semester one. I really enjoyed the small size of my program as I was able to make friends with everyone I attended class with. I lived in the same complex with five people from my program and the rest were located in two different locations. We all really enjoyed spending time together so even though we did not live in the same building we all still found ways to spend time together and explore the city. Freiburg is an extremely easy city to navigate and so most nights were spent either doing homework or hanging out with my classmates at a nice restaurant or park. Since leaving the program I have stayed in touch with many of my friends and we are planning on getting together over break this year.

Studying abroad is an experience unlike any other because it not only allows you to understand a different culture from your own, you meet new people, and are encouraged every day to step out of your comfort zone and experience the world around you. I had an amazing time while in Freiburg and hope to go back one day. The city is not only beautiful, but full of history. Walking to class everyday was always enjoyable, and the food and places to go out were very unique. I highly recommend this program because I know it will not disappoint.

This program could have more group activities to participate in around the city of Freiburg. We went on a hike to the Black Forest which was amazing but I would like to have had more opportunities to walk around the city and know where the best places are whether that is food or just places to hang out around the city.
Julia

Amazing EU Summer

Freiburg is such a cute little university town. There's plenty of great food and fun places to go. All of the university students were very welcoming and friendly. I lived in university housing, and it was clean and relatively up-to-date. The staff at the EU Center is great, and the course-related excursions were super interesting. Since Freiburg is kind of in the middle of Western Europe, it was very easy to travel.

The courses are definitely academically rigorous, sometimes I wished there was a little more free time.
Lorraine

Ich bin Freiburger

I always said I could never miss anywhere but my home in Indiana, but Freiburg proved me wrong. I don't know if it's the cobblestone streets, streams lining the roads, or gothic cathedral in the city's center, but Freiburg and its charms captured my heart. I had an apartment to myself, but you can also share an apartment in Vauban, either of which is just a tram ride away from the IES Center where classes are held. The staff at the IES Center was great. They gave us jerseys to wear during the Euros, advice on where to find the best souvenir shops and restaurants, and opportunities to bond with the other program members. We took field trips to three different countries: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Greece, and Cyprus, and they were all very well organized. The program even provides classes in German for beginners, although the daily courses are in English. My life has forever been changed by this program, and I highly encourage studying abroad, wherever that may be.

-I wish that the course load was lightened just a little. With classes five days a week and mountains of reading assigned, it was hard to juggle both school and exploration.
-The attendance policy could use some revision. Getting 3% off your grade for an unexcused absence is rough.
Muhammad

Top Notch Experience

I studied abroad with IES Abroad in Freiburg, Germany during my sophomore year for one semester. Studying abroad in Germany was the best time in my life. Through my experiences abroad, I have developed to overcome challenges and gained new perspective to look at the world from various point of view. Student from diverse backgrounds, sitting together at the Augustinerplatz to enjoy the end of the day and picturesque landscape of the gateway to the Black Forest have indeed added charm to my experience in Freiburg. My memories from Germany are filled with limitless joy and happiness. I would highly recommend studying abroad with IES Abroad in Freiburg at the European Union program.

Work load could have been reduced a bit so that students in their personal time can explore around Europe.
Jessica

Unforgettable Summer Abroad

The opportunity to study abroad this past summer was one I'm glad I took advantage of, especially through the IES European Union program. Germany had always been a future travel destination for me and being able to spend several weeks there gave me exposure to a different country, culture and social scene. The academic aspect of the program focused on the Western Balkans and Turkey's integration into the European Union and allowed us to travel to both Bosnia and Turkey, two places I never would have considered had I not been in the program. Being able to experience a country and its culture first-hand after just having learned about it was incredible especially since we had the chance to speak EU officials and other people in the region. My summer abroad not only allowed me to recieve credit for two classes, but I gained many new friends, amazing memories and has encoraged me to consider working abroad in the future.

The structure of the academic work could be done differently, where most students felt more prepared for the Bosnia field study trip and less prepared for the Turkey trip because the amount of time spent on the material.
Akshina

Liberation

My Study Abroad experience was liberating because it helped me gain different perspectives on life. The field trips to Turkey and Bosnia were especially enriching.
Liberation is not escapism, it is a way of reflecting on life.

pittabroad

Best Summer Ever

The program is administered in true German efficiency. All of the logistics are taken care of, but they are still respectful and treat you like an adult. The courses are interesting and rigorous but do not get in the way of the study abroad experience. Freiburg immediately feels like home. The field study program is unforgettable. The problem with the program is returning back to your normal life. Enjoy.

Honestly, if anything, it should be longer. More language courses could also be helpful.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...