IES Abroad Freiburg – Language & Area Studies

Study abroad in Freiburg with IES Abroad

Ideal for students interested in rapidly improving their German language skills, the IES Abroad Freiburg Program offers you IES Abroad and university courses taught in German by distinguished local faculty. You can also participate in an internship, which includes time spent working at your placement and an academic seminar that helps you contextualize what you're learning.

Freiburg will be your classroom. Imagine studying German vocabulary and then going out to a local market to practice the words you’ve just learned, or discussing German theater and then seeing a local production that evening. Welcome to study abroad! Wherever possible our courses take advantage of the city’s historical, artistic, and cultural sites, and several courses include hands-on, practical components.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Rebekah

Living in Freiburg

Although at the beginning of the semester there is a lot of orientation, there are many things where you are left on your own to do, i.e. groceries, transportation, etc. This allowed me to really get a feel for living on your own in Germany and not just studying abroad there. I was able to make friends (both American and German) and socialize while also taking my courses with IES. Although all my courses were in the IES Center, majority of my professors were actual university professors and were quite experienced (and interesting). Freiburg is a beautiful city with a great location and lots of things to do in the surrounding areas. The administration of the IES office in Freiburg are super helpful and friendly and always there if you need help with something.

Brian

Building My Life in Freiburg

This program is wonderful and so is Freiburg! It is located in a perfect spot, making access to France, Switzerland, and Austria quite simple. IES Abroad also plans gives you the opportunity to go on a planed trip to Berlin and Italy and Switzerland!
All the traveling was fun but I really wanted to plant my roots in Freiburg and not always be on the move. I had to remember the biggest reason I was there: to learn German, and this program REALLY helped with that. I took 5 classes all taught in German. At first I was nervous that I wouldn't understand everything and struggle. But the teachers are super helpful and I was able to learn rapidly in an environment like Germany. Outside of class there are many clubs, activities, free lectures, and so on, all over in Freiburg! IES Abroad provided many resources for such things and was always willing to help. I definitely took advantage of these resources and went to parties, lectures, dance events in the city.
My living experience was fantastic. I lived in a suite with four Germans and an Irish girl. We all spoke German to each other all the time, which made for a wonderful learning experience and great friendships.
Overall, this program is fantastic and I would do it all over again.

IES Abroad could enforce the "only-German" speaking rule better. I found many people in my program spoke English at every chance they got, and I found that frustrating, however, I have heard the same from other programs that my friends have participated in as well. If people don't want to learn then there is not too much one can do. However, a little more pressure from IES would be nice.
Jane

Amazing Journey that completes my 2018

IES Abroad Program is a very well-organized program that offers student great opportunity to gain a global perspective on everything. It is a very well-organized program that offers student great opportunity to gain a global perspective on everything. A lot of international engagement opportunities ware offered and the program site was very well chosen to allow students to have the best experience possible. The IES center stuff was very friendly and helpful. The classes were mostly focused on getting students to learn instead of sending out hard course materials.

My German improved a lot and I had a deeper understanding of German culture. The German and American friends I get to know and the memories I had with them will be the wealth of my life. It is an experience everyone worth to have!

Claire

A semester in Freiburg

I studied spring 2017 in Freiburg, as part of the Language and Area Studies program, and I fell in love with the city and the program. I studied there from February to July in the city and had the opportunity to study and do an internship during the time I was there.

The living situation was great for immersion. I lived with 3 native Germans, and then one international student who also knew German, and so the language of the apartment was German. They also understood that I wanted to learn German, so they were helpful by speaking German with me, which improved my German skills a lot.

This program allows for the opportunity to take classes directly at the university. I had the opportunity to do this along with a few other individuals in my city. You typically have to stay in the city for an extra month, so it works better for the spring semester, but it was a great experience to improve your German through having a class with native Germans. The program also allows for an internship opportunity for credit. I did translation work for the university's alumni office, and it improved my German substantially.

When I said that I fell in love with Freiburg, that is 110% true. I loved the old buildings, along with the nature that was surrounding the city. Being in the middle of the Black Forest with ample amount of places for hiking, along with being an hour from France and Switzerland made it the perfect location for me.

Well, I had a fantastic time in my study abroad semester and plan on going back.

Emily

Abroad in Freiburg

I simply cannot say enough wonderful things about this program and this city. I felt right at home in Freiburg while taking intriguing and challenging courses and still getting ample opportunities to travel. I was forced to use German about 80% of the time, which really improved my language skills. I lived with an amazing host family on the outskirts of the city and I felt that was a great living atmosphere. I highly recommend the IES Abroad Freiburg Language and Area Studies program to anyone interested in furthering their German language skills in an adorable little city!

Coordinating the academic schedule among classes a little better would be helpful-- I felt incredibly swamped with school work during the last two weeks.
Cindy

Best Semester yet

My semester abroad was more than I could have ever hoped for. I spent my semester improving my german, making new friends, immersing in the culture, and learning how to navigate a new country. I was supported by the IES staff and faculty the entire time I was in Freiburg. If someone got sick a doctors appointment was made available that day for the student. I personally had a medical issue and I was able to recipes antibiotics and the medical attention I needed the day I asked for help. IES planned trips for us: one was to Venice and Padua, and another one to Berlin. I attended both trips, although both optional, and they were very fun and exciting. The trips were a good balance of planned activities and free time for us to do what we wanted to.
We didn't have class on Fridays which allowed for travel and exploration of Freiburg and surrounding areas. The classes were exciting and informative, they were taught at a level of German that was easy to understand. The individual classes had various excursions pertaining to the class.
The social aspect was very fun, we had 32 people in the language and area studies program and I got to know each of these people on a personal level. We spent most of our time together cooking, exploring and immersing in the culture. Our living situations were all slightly different, no room was identical. But everyone had a shared kitchen and bathrooms for the apartment. We also had a few people do home stays.
Overall my experience was incredible and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is confident in their German skills and want to see a smaller town aspect of Germany.

This program could be improved by integrating the various programs in Freiburg better. I would have liked to get to know the people in the other programs better. Also a good bye dinner or event would have been nice.
Armani

Fun in Freiburg

Studying abroad was definitely not an easy choice to make but it was one that I am so happy that I made. It has been so far one of the best college semesters so far that i have had. Freiburg can feel kinda like a small town (I'm originally from Chicago) but that doesn't mean that there isn't something to do. Whether directly in the city of Freiburg, in the Black Forest or in other neighboring cities, you'll never really get bored. The trips offered by IES are also a great way to see more of Europe. There are a lot of international students at the University so you'll never really feel alone and people are always interested about learning about different cultures and things. The academics offered by the program are really interesting and really helps you acclimate to Germany.

Brandon

Great Program Overall for General Studies

This program really helped me, not only to improve my German, but to gain a much better understanding of German Culture. By the program's end, I felt very at home in Freiburg and had formed strong friendships with both locals and other IES students. The one thing I would say is that I found the logistical academic process to be a bit tough to navigate. I have rather a narrow academic focus, and finding classes that fit it was challenging. That being said, the IES staff members were friendly and knowledgeable and helped me to the best of their abilities

I would request more communication between the University and the program regarding the classes that students are eligible to take, as well as the expected workload.
David

A truly immersive experience

I participated in the full academic year at IES in Freiburg and was pleased with nearly all aspects of the program. The course selection is broad, only limited by the number of students in the program. However, if a course is not offered by IES it is very easy to take it at the University. The IES professors are very engaging, knowledgable, and cognizant of the students' other cultural backgrounds.The administration was also very competent and helpful in all regards. The full year students have the opportunity to stay in the Alban Stolz Haus, a student dorm in Littenweiler. There are many student-organized activities every week and the dorm seeks to foster great interaction wishing the ASH community. The city of Freiburg is truly a gem of Germany. Situated near France and Switzerland, one has plenty of opportunities to travel. The organized trips by IES to Italy and to Berlin/Hamburg were also very enjoyable. Living in Freiburg for an entire year, one has the chance to truly integrate oneself into the culture and student life. It is a vey vibrant city, always with something to do. I made German friends during the year that I will keep my whole life. The chances to improve fluency are ample, regardless of what level one is starting at. It really was the best year of my life.

C

Fabulous Freiburg

I am so glad that I chose to go to Freiburg for my semester abroad. As a German Studies major, it was important for me to be able to immerse myself in the language, and Freiburg was a great place to do that. It has a smaller town feel, but is by no means a tiny town. The city itself is beautiful, especially in the Old Town. There are so many things outside of academics to do and experience around Freiburg. The program is great, and the staff at the IES Abroad Center were both well-qualified and more than willing to help if a problem arose. I really enjoyed all of the classes that I got to take while I was there, especially since the topics were taught from the European perspective instead of the American one. The courses challenged me, and since they were all in German, my language ability improved immensely. My roommates were all German students, so I was able to speak German with them as well. It was interesting to see how their lives were different from mine, and I learned a lot from them. I also made some good friends while I was there, and was definitely sad to say goodbye to them. I can't wait until I can get back for another visit.

Ethan

Great 4 Months

My experience in Freiburg was one of the best 4 month periods of my life. I found the logistics of the Freiburg Study Abroad to be superb, and this little city in southern Germany offers everything. You’re surrounded by the Black Forest and Freiburg is an authentic German town with a lot of energy from the masses of college students. Dorm life was fantastic for me - that’s how I met the most germans and my roommates were very welcoming. All in all a fantastic experience.

Make the planned trips feel less like school field trips
Alex

A Semester in Freiburg

Freiburg im Breisgau was an absolutely amazing city for my study abroad experience. The city is extremely vibrant and filled with an immense amount of history and life. It was always easy to find things to do and to move about the city. I personally rented a bike during my first week and used it every day I was there. Almost everyone bikes in Freiburg and there are bike paths present everywhere in the city. I found this to be a great way to get around and explore as it was often much faster than taking the tram and the weather was perfect for biking almost every day. Additionally Freiburg presented me with tons of opportunities to practice my German language skills and as a result I improved A LOT. The locals were extremely nice about the language learning process and were always willing to help you if you had any questions. The rooming situation was also a big help for learning the language because you are placed in a dorm living with native Germans. The classes were also all taught in German and dealt with very interesting and applicable topics. The teachers were also very willing to help at any time and were very good about promoting an environment in the classroom where everyone wanted to speak and participate. I spent lots of time in Freiburg with friends in the beautiful local beer gardens, biking through the city, and hiking through the black forest. This experience is one I wont forget and I recommend it to anyone looking to learn about the German culture and greatly improve their language skills.

The orientation process was very long and often included information that I thought was either useless or belonged in an information packet for students to read at their discretion. Additionally I think more help should be provided in helping students manage money, as I know many students struggled at first.
Adriana

A semester in Freiburg Green City

I loved my semester here. Learned lots of German from my internship at an organic farm. Though my neighborhood was farther from town than most people's I lived near the black forest and loved it. Would definitely recommend this program to others.

Give professors the ability to change their syllabuses, because our professors were working with syllabuses they didn't even necessary like anymore just because they were afraid our courses wouldn't transfer.
Haley

Black Forest Bliss

Most people dread an 8AM class slot, but with a bike commute with views of the Black Forest and cobble stoned streets, I couldn't have been happier! Freiburg is awe inspiring as city and country meet! It's great to enjoy a day in the inner city where the beautiful Münster lies and Döner (a must try!) shops abound, but I am always grateful to return home to Vauban, an earthy, green part of the city. There are few places in the world offering such great cosmopolitan and student vibes directly alongside beautiful hikes and scenery.

I did not enjoy my Program classes with other Americans. I found it much more rewarding to take classes at the University alongside Germans and other international students!
Mimi

Semester in Freiburg

I had a great experience studying abroad with IES Freiburg. Freiburg itself is a small town in the Black Forest that is vibrant and has lots of culture and things to do and experience, like museums, concerts, and outdoor exploration. At the same time, the town is not overwhelming and did not feel too much like a big city. It's also very centrally located and perfect for travelling around western Europe, especially Germany, France and Switzerland. The classes themselves are very interesting and the professors very knowledgeable. The staff of the program are also extremely helpful and go out of their way to help and accommodate students. It was also really fun to interact with fellow students from all over the country and with Germans I met through living arrangements and while living in the city, and experience my perspective and worldview shifting. I would highly recommend this program!

It would be fun for all students to live in the same dorm, although perhaps not in the same apartments or suites, to keep the same opportunities to interact with locals but also closeness to other Americans.

Alumni Interviews

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...