CIEE Open Campus Block in Berlin, Germany

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, CIEE has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Brandenburg Gate
Bergmannstrasse
Bergmannstrasse
Berlin Wall
Berlin Wall

Do Berlin on your own terms by customizing your experience through the Open Campus program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks, select your academic track from six options, then choose your courses from a wide range of subject areas. No matter how you build your program, you’ll surround yourself with the language, culture, and people of the vibrant, international Kreuzberg district – a hub for the arts, music, and digital technology.

The thriving global city of Berlin is home to nearly 3.5 million people. Live among the locals and see for yourself why Berlin is ranked among the top for global urban quality-of-life – with excellent public transportation, you’ll have no problem exploring the city’s parks, orchestras, museums, festivals, and historical landmarks.

• STAY IN BERLIN FOR THE DURATION of your study abroad or add on blocks in other CIEE Open Campus locations in London, Rome, Paris, Madrid, and Cape Town.
  • EXPLORE BERLIN’S architectural masterpieces and world-class arts scenes.
  • SEE HOW GERMANY AND THE EUROPEAN UNION are addressing major healthcare challenges through courses and fieldwork.

Updated refund & cancellation policy for flexible, secure booking due to COVID-19

In the unusual event CIEE has to cancel your summer ’20, fall '20, January '21, or spring '21 study abroad or internship program due to a health, safety, or security concern, you’re covered with Program Assurance Advantage.

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Erik

CIEE Open Campus Experience

I always knew I wanted to study abroad. The problem was, how could I pick just one location? Then I heard about CIEE's Design Your Semester Program. With this Open Campus program, I able to switch to three different locations during one semester. For me, six weeks in a city is the perfect amount of time to study in a new city. CIEE also has weekend study tours to nearby cities. The tours always provide a well rounded cultural experience. I would highly recommend the Open Campus program if you want to see and experience more when abroad. They offer many cities around the world, but mainly across Europe. I picked Madrid, Berlin, and London for my semester. Each city, in its own special way, had so much to offer. I would highly recommend the open campus program if you can't decide where you want to study abroad.

The course schedule includes some Friday classes. I would recommend a more condenses course schedule from Monday to Thursday only.
Isabel

CIEE Program Review

Hi! I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here in Berlin with CIEE Open Campus. I have enjoyed my classes thus far, especially my Post War Monuments and Memorials Class. Not only did this class challenge my thinking, helped me gain an understanding, touched my emotions, but also provided me with a worldly insight that I didn't think was possible. As for the institute, all of the staff from the RA's to the Faculty/Student Life Team to the Security they have always been great at helping me (and always with a smile). I think it is hard for me because I do wish this program was a bit bigger, but at the same time I like the small community of it. As for Berlin as a whole, this city is one that is so rich in history and also has a melting pot of cultures. There is never not something to explore and experience.

Don't be afraid to venture down a street you haven't been down. There is always something new and exciting in this city.
Peter

Open Campus Berlin

Berlin is a great city to study in. When comparing places, it won't wow you with beautiful tourist attractions (although those are in Berlin too) but it is a very dynamic city where there is always new stuff going on. I would feel bad when I saw people visiting for the weekend because it's a city that can't be captured in a weekend. In terms of making the transition, I would definitely recommend going in the fall when the weather is still nice, because around November it gets gloomy, cold, and dark very early. So in January and February it would make it tougher to get out and explore, and might make the transition tougher. CIEE is a very solid program to study with. They care a lot about the students and make a large effort to get there students out into the city and community with class excursions and several weekly optional excursions

The communal kitchens can be a real problem. Most people clean their dishes, but they pile up real quickly from those who don't, and the kitchens get disgusting at times. There is supposed to be a cleaning schedule, but it isn't followed. It's just not an ideal thing to have to deal with. It would also encourage kids to explore more if we were given month passes on the public transportation every month, instead of little booklets of tickets that are just meant for our class excursions.
Jenny

Berlin Spring 2017

My 6-week block with CIEE Berlin was incredible. If you are reading this because you are considering studying abroad here, then DO IT!

I had the most amazing time in Berlin. The city itself has a rich history that you just have to experience in person, the food was undeniably good and the overall atmosphere of Berlin was just incredible. Living in the heart of Kreuzberg was a huge plus, and I loved the trendy, young, hip vibes of the neighborhood.

The CIEE Berlin staff was always there to help me with whatever needs I had- whether it dealt with academics, housing, exploring the local area or just having someone to talk to. From the professors to the security guards, someone is always willing to help.

I am so glad that I chose to study abroad in Berlin with CIEE, and my biggest regret may possibly be not staying longer. I miss my friends, Curry 36 and Mustafa's every single day. Hopefully I will make it back to Berlin in the near future!

Again, if you have to chance to study abroad with CIEE Berlin, then please please please do it!

More excursions for classes would've been great that way students aren't stuck in the classroom all day and get to explore different areas of Berlin while still learning in the context of the class.

I also would've liked to see more staff members getting hands-on with students and really engaging and forming relationships/connections with everyone there.
East Side Gallery
Emily

Okay Joke's Over. When Can I Go Back?

I always knew I wanted to study abroad. However, as the time to fill out applications was quickly approaching I was growing increasingly doubtful about leaving my home university. I transferred to my current school and found my home. I was heartbroken to leave my friends for a semester. I knew that I would enjoy my time in Europe but I was not prepared for how much I enjoyed my experience abroad with CIEE in Berlin.

I already want to go back to Berlin and I hope to live there in the near future. I knew basically zero German (besides the basics) before I chose to go to Berlin and I still thrived. I cannot express enough how much I loved this program and experience. Studying abroad in Berlin truly changed my life (everyone says that but it's true). Berlin is very diverse and it's refreshing to live there. There is always something to do in Berlin and an endless amount of restaurants (I'm a picky eater... this was important to me).

The way the CIEE Global Institute Berlin program was structured allowed me to experience and immerse myself in Berlin culture while learning from a different perspective in my classes. I actually learned more in my classes in Berlin than I ever have in any other course I've ever taken. In these courses we would often go on excursions that would allow us to make connections between class lessons and real life or history in Berlin.

I applaud this program and would recommend this experience to everyone. (I'm serious. I can't praise this program enough).

Victoria

Berlin in Summer

My summer in Berlin was unbelievable. From seeing President Barack Obama and Chancellor Angela Merkel speak at Kirchentag to walking the streets at night and watching the city light up to getting döner for lunch, dinner, or just a snack, Berlin in summer is something you have to experience. The city comes alive. Berlin has it all: culture, history, art, diversity of people, festivals, a mix of architecture, excellent public transportation, beautiful parks, and good food. CIEE Berlin makes it easy to explore the city. Its central location and comfortable accommodations only add to your experience. And now it's time for you to go and find out for yourself just how wonderful Berlin in summer really is.

Read my full story
Justin

Berlin: The Ideal City for University Students

I would definitely recommend this program to individuals who are interested in traveling abroad and learning more about German culture.

Location: Berlin is the ideal city for university students--everything is relatively cheap or affordable, and there is a lot to do around the city and outside of it. The CIEE Berlin location is in Kreuzberg, which is a neighborhood close to central Berlin that has lots of good eats and cute cafes to explore. While living in the CIEE institute, I felt safe as security was reliable and the area around campus was not incredibly dangerous.
Facilities: The rooms are decently large, and each one has a bathroom inside. I stayed in a double room by myself because there were not too many people on campus at the time of my program. Most program participants do not spend too much time in their rooms either because there is a lot to do outside. Nonetheless, the living accommodations are nice.
Classroom/Global Exposure: Most classes offered by the program include site visits around the city, which I thought made the classroom experience more interesting and immersive. However, being constantly surrounded by other American students in the class and on campus made it somewhat hard to meet local German students. I would say this is definitely one of the drawbacks of the program.

Overall, I had a wonderful time in the city of Berlin. I absolutely love the city of Berlin and see myself going back soon.

Larry

CIEE Berlin - Jan - May 2017

I was lucky enough to spend my junior year spring semester abroad with the CIEE program at their Berlin location. In the Kreuzberg district, I was met with a buzzing arts scene, a rich history, well-prepared curriculum and accommodating, friendly staff. For 16 weeks, there were organized social events and travels throughout Europe - I went with the group to Leipzig and Prague. I'd arrived with a very limited knowledge of the German language and by the end of my semester had fairly basic proficiency. I made friends in the program that I'm confident I will take with me wherever life may lead me as well as a whole new perspective on politics, culture and life in general. I'll always remember my time at CIEE fondly and believe that my time there has helped shape me into who I am today. I would highly recommend this program to anyone, regardless of their familiarity with Germany (you will become familiar), so long as they have an open-mind. The professors challenged me but also fostered a wonderful learning environment, the facilities were top-notch, and ultimately every factor was supportive of tremendous personal growth. I credit CIEE with facilitating many of my favorite memories from my semester abroad and as a major influence in my hopes to return to Berlin/Europe/the world as whole.