CIEE Arts + Sciences in Dublin, Ireland (Dublin City University)

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, CIEE has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Immerse yourself in Irish university life by enrolling in courses at CIEE’s partner school - Dublin City University (DCU) – Ireland’s “University of Enterprise” for its focus on research and innovation. DCU is located just outside the city of Dublin and hosts five colleges: Science & Health, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Computing, DCU Business School, and DCU Institute of Education. Students can also select from CIEE elective courses taught by adjunct lecturers at CIEE Dublin, located on DCU’s All Hallows campus. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to make your understanding of Ireland complete – and unforgettable.

• Explore iconic sites like Dublin Castle, Temple Bar, Henrietta Street, and Guinness Brewery.
  • Study at DCU on a high-tech campus with easy access to downtown Dublin,
  • Zoom in on Ireland’s rich heritage with orientation activities and a special CIEE course.

Updated refund & cancellation policy for flexible, secure booking due to COVID-19

In the unusual event CIEE has to cancel your summer ’20, fall '20, January '21, or spring '21 study abroad or internship program due to a health, safety, or security concern, you’re covered with Program Assurance Advantage.

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Cali

Best decision of my life!

Studying abroad in Dublin, Ireland for J-Term was the most amazing experience. I chose to study here because it is a huge technology hub and the possibility of moving here someday. During my time abroad, I met lifelong friends and made unforgettable memories. The locals there were the friendliest and funniest people. The housing was impressive with a private room and bathroom - and it was very clean. The coursework wasn't too much and the excursions were eye opening. The CIEE program was very well organized and the center director, Enda O'Connell, was helpful and always there for the students. I wish I could redo it all over again!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The views from the hikes in Ireland are breathtaking. I did not expect something that beautiful.
Samantha

Lovely Dublin

I absolutely loved this program! The program coordinators were lovely and provided support to their students. The program was amazing! I spent a year there, and it really did change how I look at the world. This coming from a former high school exchange student no less. It also helped me figure out what to do after I graduate. I would recommend this program to anyone who is interested in a great program without the added stress of learning a brand new language.

Kathleen

Dublin - CIEE

I studied abroad during the Spring of 2017. The academic system at first was a bit challenging due to the difference in scheduling, grading, and evaluations. As the semester went on, it became easier to understand and adapt to. I personally enjoyed most of the classes I took, as I tried to make them pertain towards my minors. Half of my classes were located on the St. Patrick’s Campus, so it was about a fifteen-minute bus ride there and back. The bus stops are located on each campus, so it was not an inconvenience. I do highly recommend studying throughout the semester, even if the final seems far away. You will not regret it when the time comes. I promise.
Traveling was super convenient and accessible while in Ireland. That said, I would highly recommend for the first month or so to explore all that Ireland has to offer before venturing around Europe. I can safely say Ireland was my favorite place I explored out of all of my travels. Odds are many of the things you see and do will come up in your classes, especially CIEE led ones, and having witnessed them will make it easier to visualize and comprehend what you are learning about. When you do travel and return, it makes Dublin seem like you’re returning home to a familiar place. The CIEE coordinators are great resources for ideas and suggestions of where to go and what to do while there. It’s a good idea to become familiar with them, so if a situation where you may need advice or assistance comes up they can readily help you. Plus, they’re pretty cool people to know in general.
Many of the best memories stem from the little moments and places you will stumble upon. My advice would be to stay flexible. It’s great if you have an idea of where you want to go and what you want to see, but if you try to jam fifteen monuments into one day it can become exhausting and take away from the experience.
Another tip I have is if you are traveling to a non-English speaking country, or even a country where English may not be the first language but they’re known to speak it, find a list of common phrases and words in that country’s language and keep it handy. Even if you aren’t confident about what you are saying, most people appreciate the effort you are making to be a part of their culture. It’s okay if you butcher it, just make an effort.
Other than that, I suppose my only other advise would be that Dublin is beautiful, take time to explore what it has to offer. You don’t want to come to the end of the trip and realize you know far less about the place you’ve been living in for the last few months or don’t know how to navigate. Even if you mainly travel around with a friend or group of people, try to be the navigator every once in a while. In case anything were to happen, you would know how to safely get back and it will make you more confident in your future travels.

Roselyn

Dublin Days

This experience was life changing and a journey. The trip occurred at a pivotal point in my life and left a deep impression on me. The staff and support group of CIEE in Dublin was amazing. Martin and Aoife worked so hard to make us feel welcome, safe, and comfortable. We went on many excursions into the city and country to explore museums, parks, and countryside sights. They made sure our courses would not overwhelm us and they constantly checked up on us so we would not slip through the cracks. The Irish countryside will made me fall in love with it and all the coasts had so much character on every side of the island we explored. The experience gave me renewed awe of God's creation and I was so blessed to have the opportunity to go.

Savannah

Dublin

I had no idea what to expect upon my arrival at Dublin, but thankfully CIEE took care of all the problems that I could have encountered being a foreigner in a strange city. Not only did we get to go on guided trips throughout the program to places like Belfast in Northern Ireland and Galway, we were also taught the rich history of each place we visited. Dublin is a great city and a wonderful place to have your first travels as it is a very western friendly city with the same accommodations you would be used to back in the states. However it also has it's very own distinct culture rich with interesting and diverse people and is also a place you'll never feel like an intruder as the Irish are very welcoming. CIEE made sure I was prepared before my trip as well has taught us many lessons on how to deal with culture shock which happens upon your arrival to Ireland as well as your departure to America. Definitely recommend this program!

More say on what aspects of Irish history we could chose to learn about.