Dublin, Ireland - Semester Study Abroad Program

Dublin, Ireland - Semester Study Abroad Program

Maybe you’re looking to immerse yourself in the greenery and sea views of the Irish coast, or perhaps the quaint streets boasting shops, galleries, and museums in the city center are more your style. You don’t have to go far for either, Dublin has it all!

Study with FIE Dublin at one of our three Irish education partners, Dublin Business School (DBS), Trinity College Dublin (TCD), or University College Dublin (UCD). Each has unique academic offerings, from Advertising to Veterinary Medicine, all within Dublin - a modern city with a 'big village feel'!

In addition to courses at DBS, TCD, or UCD, FIE’s outstanding Resident Staff provides all students with a variety of opportunities, including an extensive extra-curricular calendar that may include theater events, literary festivals, comedy shows, and sporting matches.

Take advantage of studying at a world-class institution plus the benefits of a small, personalized program with FIE Dublin!

• Two INCLUDED study weekends away to Northern Ireland and the west of Ireland
  • All the benefits of a large world-class institution with the personal touch of a small program
  • Live in the heart of Dublin's vibrant city center
  • Meet other international and Irish students
  • Dedicated Resident staff and Residence Life Supervisors to help every step of the way
Europe » Ireland » Dublin
Airfare
Meals
FIE & DBS, TCD, or UCD Tuition
Self-catered housing
Two included weekend study tours away to Northern Ireland and the west of Ireland
Various course-related co-curricular activities
24/7 support from FIE Resident staff

Alec
Portland, OR
Lewis & Clark College

Can't wait to go back

I truly cannot say enough positive things about this program. As cliche as it sounds, my semester in Dublin was easily the most life changing four months of my life. Nothing quite prepares you for how challenging it is to abandon everything familiar and immerse yourself in a new social and academic culture. But with this great challenge comes and immense payoff. I think I grew more as a person from this single semester than all of my semesters of college combined.

While the entire program was excellent, there were two things that, for me, really made it stand out. The first was the study tours and extracurricular activities. While classroom learning is great, the opportunity to immerse oneself in the culture and the country itself is invaluable and unforgettable. The study tours were a fantastic opportunity to see more of the country we called home for a short time and also brought to life many of the things we'd learned in the classroom. Ireland is also such a beautiful country that, aside from being academically valuable, the study tours were awe inspiring for their beauty as well.

The second thing that brought this program to the next level was the personal contact with the FIE staff. Dublin stole my heart from the very beginning, but it was this individual and hands on contact that really made it feel like home. FIE staff were always available via a variety of platforms if we had any questions, concerns, or just wanted someone to chat with. They were genuinely invested in our experience and that made all the difference.

This semester abroad was eye opening and life changing in more ways than one. I walked away with a better understanding of myself, a new career path (international education), useful and marketable skills, and a greater understanding of the world around me, and for this I am extremely grateful.

Andrea
Cary, NC
Elon University

So much to say, so little time...

My experience with FIE in Dublin was more than anything I could have asked for and I am having a hard time with how to begin. Dublin is filled with some of the greatest and friendliest people I have ever encountered and the staff at FIE is definitely included in this group. From the moment I stepped off the plane their smiling faces were there ready to support me in my study abroad experience and I cannot thank them enough for everything they did. Thanks to them I was able to explore all corners of Ireland, experience international classes, take my learning outside of the classroom with my internship, and do it all with newfound friends. I am so thankful for my experience in Dublin and have memories and lessons that will last me a lifetime.

The only thing I can complain about is the housing. While it was livable, it had a few inconveniences that could use improvement. However, FIE was also helpful with helping us resolve these issues as they came up.

Dani
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin Business School

Best Experience of My Life

Going abroad was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I knew I always wanted to study abroad but never knew I could actually do it. Being immersed in the culture with other students from the states made the transition much easier and I made friendships that will last a lifetime. The experiences I made were ones I will never forget, not to mention the many lessons I was taught. I couldn't have asked for a better group or a better abroad experience, thanks to all the people who were apart of it.

Kayla
North Reading, MA
Elon University

Wish I could do it all over again

Studying abroad in Dublin was the biggest challenge of my life. I learned more about myself than I ever thought I could, met other students from all over the USA and from Ireland, and saw parts of the world that took my breath away. Through every challenge and triumph, I had the support of a truly amazing FIE staff. The friends I made studying in Dublin are friends I will have for life, no matter the distance. It was really cool to be able to take classes with Irish students my age, and the classes I took at Dublin Business School were directly relevant to my major and career goals, fun and interactive. Being able to see the entire country of Ireland, coast to coast with FIE and my new friends was an experience unlike any other. It is a beautiful country with the friendliest and most fun people. Dublin is definitely a modernizing city, and coupled with the history of the area was such a cool place to live abroad. I was able to see eight countries in my time abroad, as well as get to know the city of Dublin really well since we lived in apartments instead of on a campus, which I found to be a unique and exciting part of the experience.

The only thing that was a little difficult was the distance of our apartment to school--about 1.5 miles, or a 30 minute walk. Since the transportation system is a little iffy, the walk was less than ideal when it was rainy or really cold. Other than that, nothing to complain about.

Sarah
Temple University

Best Decision of My Life

Spending the semester with FIE Dublin was easily the best decision I have ever made in my life. FIE was so helpful and made sure we felt right at home in our new city. The program directors created such an inviting atmosphere that I immediately made connections with every person in the Program. I can honestly say the other FIE students are now my best friends and we still keep in touch every day.
The most memorable experiences I had abroad were the trips FIE planned for us. It was amazing to experience parts of Ireland with everyone on our trip, whether it was a weekend trip, or an afternoon tour in Dublin, it was exciting and interesting.
I would recommend studying abroad with FIE Dublin to anyone. I definitely found my happy place in Ireland.

The only thing that could be improved is the housing. They were somewhat dirty when we moved in. We also experienced a lot of problems in our apartment, especially with our shower. The washer and dryer were also an issue. There were only three washers and three dryers in our whole facility and they were extremely expensive. However, FIE staff did whatever they could to help!

Josie
Toronto, ON

Experience of a Lifetime

The experience FIE provided was unlike any other. The staff were extremely supportive, ensuring we had everything we needed to make our experience fantastic. I have never felt such a sense of home away from home, with the activities they organize, the way residence life is set up to maximize social interaction, and the sheer kindness of the people who lead the program. The staff at FIE make sure that your time in Dublin exceeds your expectations and if you want an outstanding study abroad experience I highly recommend choosing FIE Dublin.

The only way this program could be improved is the housing was underwhelming. The maintenance requests were slow and the facilities were run down, but that was more of a residence problem than a program problem. Every time we had a real issue and reached out to FIE they did everything they could to help us fix the problem.

Kyle
West Chester

Best Semester of College

My decision to become an international student was the best decision I have ever made in my life, and I give a lot of credit to Dublin and the entire FIE staff for making that happen. Many students say they will have a major culture shock and feel uncomfortable abroad, but I never felt that way with this program. Every staff member made me feel right at home in Dublin. Even on the first day, the staff members act as if they have known you your entire life and are so welcoming. They would go out of their way to make me feel comfortable during my time abroad. For example, I got sick for a few days during the semester and was a little unsure and nervous about how to go about seeing a doctor and about missing class. One of the program directors, Pauline, walked me to the doctors, helped me through the whole process, and made me feel so relaxed about the whole situation. She went beyond her job description to make sure that I was okay and that I would feel better. Acts like that make you feel like you are a part of a family in this program. Not a day goes by that I do not miss Dublin, and the wonderful people in FIE.

The only major problem I had with the program was with housing. It was the first year the program used this apartment building, and there were some administrative problems management was dealing with. Overall, it was still nice that all FIE students were living in the same building.

Blake
Los Angeles
Baylor University

Just Do It

I came to Dublin without any experience being out of the United States. Like most other students, I had no idea what to expect as far as adjusting to a new culture or finding outlets to explore both Ireland and Europe as a whole; however, the FIE staff was beyond supportive, cared (and succeeded) at building a community within our program, and truly strived for us to make lasting memories.

Although there were plenty of stories I could tell, I'll never forget the night I celebrated my 20th birthday in Dublin. In early September, my best friend and I met an Irish student at the University College of Dublin, and we started to spend time with his friend group. By the time November rolled around, FIE had done such a good job at helping us build friendships with both the program students (the other American students) and Ireland natives, that it took no time to fill our apartment with 20 rowdy Irish students and probably another 20 students from our program. It created a rare sight of two radically different groups coming together and sharing things they had in common. Afterwards we all went out and created the most meaningful experience of culture and shared positive energy.

All in all, you will make plenty of stories like this while abroad-- and the FIE staff will make sure that happens. This is a priceless experience that you will remember for the rest of your life, so step outside the comfort zone and make it happen.

I absolutely loved the idea of grouping American students from different home Universities into the same living accommodation. It gave us a chance to not only experience Europe together, but to build lasting friendships-- because of this, I would recommend one more FIE weekend trip within Ireland to somewhere like Cork. Galway and Belfast/Londonderry were some of the best weekends of my life, and one more trip would be the icing on the cake.

Kim
Raleigh, NC

FIE Program at UCD

In Spring 2013, I studied at University College Dublin through the FIE program my university partnered with. Of the Dublin programs my university offered, UCD was the best fit for the academic and cultural experience I hoped to gain from the program. It was great to live in an on-campus apartment on an international campus and get to know other students from Ireland and several other countries. I did not have an internship while in Dublin, but I did go back with 24 course credits because of the minimum requirements at UCD, which was 8 more than I would have been able to take at my university. It seems like a lot, but many courses only met once a week, so it ended up being a smaller workload than I was used to! Because UCD is a traditional college campus, I was able to join student organizations for an easy way to meet new people and get involved with events happening on campus and in the city. I’d definitely recommend the UCD program for that reason, but do make sure you do some research on UCD’s location in Dublin and plan ahead. Because you will need to take the bus between campus and City Centre, make sure you plan to spend at least $200-300 in bus and taxi costs alone. UCD is a beautiful campus with a lot to do, and the FIE staff will support you fantastically while you are there!

The housing situation could have been improved, but there would have been upsides and downsides to any situation. While I loved living on campus and got to be good friends with my Irish roommates, it was difficult living outside of City Centre. When I was in town with friends who went to Dublin Business School or Trinity, they could walk home at the end of the night, while I had to be on the 11:00 bus or pay for a cab (€10-15 depending). However, my friends who did live in City Centre did live with mostly Americans, and they wished they could have gotten the chance to live with Irish students.

Colin
Elon, NC

FIE Dublin Was An Amazing Experience

I came to this program looking to gain knowledge and experience in the Irish life and culture. By the time I left, I was more than satisfied with what I had learned, who I had met, and what we had experienced together.
The FIE Dublin staff was incredibly helpful in getting us all adjusted to Irish life and were a great resource to go to throughout the semester. The planned trips with the program were not only fun, but also were great bonding and learning experiences. The program also did a great job of giving us the freedom to plan our schedules and semester as we wanted it.
In a typical week, I would attend classes at Trinity College Dublin and Dublin Business School, attend an extra-curricular activity such as going to the National Museum, go to a program sponsored activity such as "Trivia Night," and plan trips/excursions for the weekends.
Overall, I had an amazing experience living in the city of Dublin, traveling throughout the country of Ireland, and working with the FIE program.

Overall, the program lived up to all of my expectations. Just like any abroad program, getting used to the changes (physically, culturally, etc.) was a challenge. However, the staff made it a much smoother and easier transition.
The program could be improved if the housing situations were better. Although the rooms were small, that was to be expected in any city. The biggest concern regarding housing was the conditions. While we had no major problem, the maintenance and repair workers were fairly inconsistent. However, the location was great - very walkable to anywhere in the city and very safe.

Broaden your horizons by studying abroad in London, Dublin or London-Amman with FIE: Foundation for International Education. Since 1998 FIE has been delivering renowned academic programs with an eye on experiential education and utilizing the city as a classroom.

At FIE you can choose to