FIE Dublin Summer Irish Studies: Business & Culture

Do you want Moher out of your summer study abroad? Enjoy living in central Dublin as you explore this lush, green island that packs a punch! Your Irish Culture & Society class provides a great backdrop for your class on digital media initiatives in Dublin’s Silicon Docks, home to many of Europe’s and the world’s top technology companies.

With day trips to Howth and Causey Farm plus two weekend excursions to Northern Ireland and the West of Ireland, you’ll be planning your return trip even before you learn how to pronounce sláinte (That’s Gaelic for “Cheers!”). Students take two courses (below) through Dublin Business School (DBS).

• TWO included overnight study tours to Northern Ireland (Belfast, Giants Causeway) and the south and west of Ireland (Wild Atlantic Way, the Ring of Kerry, Killarney National Park, the Cliffs of Moher, Galway)
  • Live and study in Dublin's vibrant city center
  • 24/7 support from our Resident staff and Residence Life Assistants

FIE Online internships available for Spring 2021!

A world of opportunities from home! Boost your resume with an online internship in the UK or Ireland and gain international work experience from wherever you are in the world. Online internships are available in a variety of areas including:

Marketing, Advertising & Design
Film & Video Editing
Charity & Non-Profit
Business Administration
Communications & Journalism

Apply by October 15!

Amanda

An Awesome Program

This partnership with the Foundation for International Education was a life-changing experience. I grew both as a student and as a person. As a student, I had to relearn how to time manage longer academic days than I'm used to with completing assigned work and wanting to experience a new country. As a person, I developed more independence, since this was the first time I was out of the country and I was alone too. I would definitely recommend this program to other students because the students who attend will be changed for the better.

The outside activities that I participated in were very fun. I enjoyed the day at the farm and the tour around The Liberties. The farm opened my eyes to a new side of Ireland that I had seen in the previous weeks. The tour of The Liberties was a great way to connect and learn about the area I stayed in while abroad.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The views. They were more beautiful than I had imagined and that was surprising. I also did not expect the Bog Jumping Day to be so fun. The Bog Jump is a must-do at Causey Farm!
Michelle

Why you should study abroad in Dublin

I was pleasantly surprised with how interesting the courses were. The professors were really knowledgeable-- they absolutely knew their stuff. The best part of the classes are the academic trips you take to different parts of the country, and to Northern Ireland. They're really a blast, but also reinforce your learning.

The living accommodations are nice and spacious. Most of the rooms were singles, and one two-three people shared a bathroom. My apartment dorms were at Blackhall Place, which was an easy walk to class and to the social areas of Dublin. Blackhall is also close to the beautiful Phoenix Park, where I would go running, and which has a nice zoo.

I personally loved the way the Irish approach grocery shopping. The produce is really fresh and doesn't have as many preservatives as the food in the States, so you buy in smaller quantities. There's also a cost for plastic grocery bags, so I would use a reusable shopping bag and a backpack, which I found to be really progressive, and of course, eco-friendly. It was definitely more cost efficient to grocery shop-- most days I would cook breakfast and dinner, and pack lunch. I would buy things like a coffee, or a snack if we had a long day. Sometimes I went out to eat, but it was definitely helpful on my wallet to eat in. But we ate out at some really delicious restaurants- the food in Dublin is awesome, for sure.

I took advantage of my time in Ireland by trying to expose myself to the culture and people as much as people. The Irish people are incredibly friendly and are wonderful at making you feel welcome, so we would always make friends and ask around for advice on good places to go, or things to do. We spent a lot of time walking around, exploring, and making friends. Dublin also has a great art and music scene, we went to a lot of open mic nights and band performances, and there's also a lot of great street performers (you can brush up by watching the movie "Once").

Something I found great was that the Irish care a great deal about their politics and their country, which I found refreshing. Instead of the Kardashians, you could get into a lengthy debate about a political decision at the pub over a pint (and then maybe hash out about the Kardashians just a wee bit). I found that aspect to Irish life very enriching.

I've traveled to a few places in the world, and I always try to take a bit of each country home with me. Literally, I always take a few pebbles. But more deeply than that, from Dublin and Ireland in general I gained a great respect for friendliness and openness. As a straight-up New Yorker, I'm used to facing a very fast-paces and standoffish state of living. The Irish way is friendlier, it's kinder, it's welcoming. You could get into a friendly conversation with a stranger at the grocery store, or out at night, just for the sake of a friendly conversation.

The experiences I had are irreplaceable, everything from the friends I made, to Causey Farms, to that one club in Belfast. I highly recommend this program to anyone who is interested.

Alyssa

Review of Dublin, Ireland Internship/Study Abroad Program for Summer 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience in Dublin under FIE's close guidance. I was fully supported by their office in all of my endeavors. I felt protected and watched over because they requested to know where myself and the other participants were at all times, especially while partaking in weekend travel. I enjoyed seeing all of Ireland--north, south, east and west. Some of my favorite highlights were sightseeing in the breathtaking Ring of Kerry, hiking County Clare's impossibly beautiful Cliffs of Moher, sifting through a charming farmers market in Cork, earning eloquent speaking by kissing the Blarney Stone and, of course, being flattered time and time again in Dublin by the friendliest, most welcoming locals in existence. I look back upon my (too short!) time in Dublin with absolute fondness and longing to return as soon as possible. I felt that FIE provided the most opportune conditions in which to enjoy this experience. I was sufficiently pleased and impressed by the way they bent over backwards to accommodate myself and the other students. I miss it dearly. I'm so happy that I participated and I whole heartedly believe it was the best experience of my life.

This program could be improved by making the mandatory events during the week--perhaps on Thursday nights? It was a scheduling issue for us because we loved FIE's planned events, but they would often conflict with our weekend travel plans. The bottom line is we wanted to do it all, but would have to choose because days off were limited.