Dublin Summer: My Ireland - History, Politics, & Identity on the Emerald Isle

Dublin Summer: My Ireland - History, Politics, & Identity on the Emerald Isle

FIE's Dublin summer program is an incredible way to spend 5.5 weeks studying, exploring, and travelling in Ireland! The program offers students the opportunity to gain an understanding of Ireland across a broad spectrum of study and experience. Students complete two courses during the program: 1) An Insight into Irish History, Politics, and Literature and 2) Irish Culture and Society. The program includes two study weekends away to Northern Ireland and the west of Ireland (Galway, Connemara, and the Aran Islands) to contextualize and deepen the experience. Also included are living accommodation in shared apartments in central Dublin, a full calendar of weekly extra-curricular activities, and an amazing staff available around the clock to support the group throughout the program.

$1,000 FIE Dublin scholarships are available! www.fie.org.uk/fiescholarships

Two weekend study tours away to the North and West of Ireland
Internship placement and support

Michelle
University at Albany- SUNY

Why you should study abroad in Dublin

I was pleasantly surprised with how interesting the courses were. The professors were really knowledgeable-- they absolutely knew their stuff. The best part of the classes are the academic trips you take to different parts of the country, and to Northern Ireland. They're really a blast, but also reinforce your learning.

The living accommodations are nice and spacious. Most of the rooms were singles, and one two-three people shared a bathroom. My apartment dorms were at Blackhall Place, which was an easy walk to class and to the social areas of Dublin. Blackhall is also close to the beautiful Phoenix Park, where I would go running, and which has a nice zoo.

I personally loved the way the Irish approach grocery shopping. The produce is really fresh and doesn't have as many preservatives as the food in the States, so you buy in smaller quantities. There's also a cost for plastic grocery bags, so I would use a reusable shopping bag and a backpack, which I found to be really progressive, and of course, eco-friendly. It was definitely more cost efficient to grocery shop-- most days I would cook breakfast and dinner, and pack lunch. I would buy things like a coffee, or a snack if we had a long day. Sometimes I went out to eat, but it was definitely helpful on my wallet to eat in. But we ate out at some really delicious restaurants- the food in Dublin is awesome, for sure.

I took advantage of my time in Ireland by trying to expose myself to the culture and people as much as people. The Irish people are incredibly friendly and are wonderful at making you feel welcome, so we would always make friends and ask around for advice on good places to go, or things to do. We spent a lot of time walking around, exploring, and making friends. Dublin also has a great art and music scene, we went to a lot of open mic nights and band performances, and there's also a lot of great street performers (you can brush up by watching the movie "Once").

Something I found great was that the Irish care a great deal about their politics and their country, which I found refreshing. Instead of the Kardashians, you could get into a lengthy debate about a political decision at the pub over a pint (and then maybe hash out about the Kardashians just a wee bit). I found that aspect to Irish life very enriching.

I've traveled to a few places in the world, and I always try to take a bit of each country home with me. Literally, I always take a few pebbles. But more deeply than that, from Dublin and Ireland in general I gained a great respect for friendliness and openness. As a straight-up New Yorker, I'm used to facing a very fast-paces and standoffish state of living. The Irish way is friendlier, it's kinder, it's welcoming. You could get into a friendly conversation with a stranger at the grocery store, or out at night, just for the sake of a friendly conversation.

The experiences I had are irreplaceable, everything from the friends I made, to Causey Farms, to that one club in Belfast. I highly recommend this program to anyone who is interested.

Alyssa
Orlando, Florida
University of Central Florida

Review of Dublin, Ireland Internship/Study Abroad Program for Summer 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience in Dublin under FIE's close guidance. I was fully supported by their office in all of my endeavors. I felt protected and watched over because they requested to know where myself and the other participants were at all times, especially while partaking in weekend travel. I enjoyed seeing all of Ireland--north, south, east and west. Some of my favorite highlights were sightseeing in the breathtaking Ring of Kerry, hiking County Clare's impossibly beautiful Cliffs of Moher, sifting through a charming farmers market in Cork, earning eloquent speaking by kissing the Blarney Stone and, of course, being flattered time and time again in Dublin by the friendliest, most welcoming locals in existence. I look back upon my (too short!) time in Dublin with absolute fondness and longing to return as soon as possible. I felt that FIE provided the most opportune conditions in which to enjoy this experience. I was sufficiently pleased and impressed by the way they bent over backwards to accommodate myself and the other students. I miss it dearly. I'm so happy that I participated and I whole heartedly believe it was the best experience of my life.

This program could be improved by making the mandatory events during the week--perhaps on Thursday nights? It was a scheduling issue for us because we loved FIE's planned events, but they would often conflict with our weekend travel plans. The bottom line is we wanted to do it all, but would have to choose because days off were limited.

Broaden your horizons by studying abroad in London, Dublin or London-Amman with FIE: Foundation for International Education. Since 1998 FIE has been delivering renowned academic programs with an eye on experiential education and utilizing the city as a classroom.

At FIE you can choose to