IES Abroad Dublin Summer - Irish Studies

IES Abroad Dublin Summer - Irish Studies

If you're interested in learning about Ireland's political and social history, contemporary economic issues, and literary heritage, this is the summer program for you. On our Summer Irish Studies Program, you'll discover the rich heritage of Ireland, as well as its contemporary culture through its art, theater, and film both in and outside the classroom.

This program offers enrollment in IES Abroad-taught courses, housing in fully-equipped student apartments, and field trips. Your journey in Dublin will begin at our Center, near St. Stephen’s Green, where you'll gain a meaningful cultural experience and a deeper knowledge of what it means to be a citizen of the world.

Check out this Center for yourself by taking a Virtual Tour at http://www.youvisit.com/tour/iesabroad.

Europe » Ireland » Dublin
Europe » Ireland
Cultural Studies
Sociology

Leana
University of Illinois- Chicago

My Dublin Experience

This program was filled with great staff and amazing programs. I had to arrive a day late and Jackie, the coordinator, was super understanding and helpful! She made sure I got to orientation on time and even had one of the teachers call me at the airport to make sure I was okay! This was the first year that they had the acting students and the general Irish studies students room together and it was a great choice! I made amazing friends from both programs and we still stay in contact to this day. The field trips to Northern Ireland and Causey Farm were great and worth the extra expense. Everything was beautiful and the local people really are some of the nicest I have ever met. Ireland is perfect if you want a city and country side experience. Dublin is not too overwhelming like New York or Chicago. It is the perfect blend of night life and tourist activities. Plus, IES will provide you with a bucket list of everything there is to do in the city. The country side; however, is even more amazing, filled with rolling green hills and centuries old landmarks. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Having SA's involved more in student living and maybe giving tours around the Dublin area.

Perla
Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Amazing and Priceless Adventure

Studying abroad in Dublin was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I made so many good friends and I learned a lot about Ireland and the people. I learned to be more outgoing and I became more independent. Before going on this trip, I had never been on my own before. It was hard at first, but after a while there was a sense of freedom. I was no longer waiting for others to join me on my adventures, because I was okay just doing it on my own. I was not restricted to someone else's schedule and I did not have to compromise about the destination of my next adventure. I also did some traveling with the friends that i made, because sometimes it's just nice to share these moments with other people. Now that I'm home, I miss the people and I also miss Ireland. I cannot wait to go back and visit the lovely staff at the center.

I genuinely had an amazing time during my time in Dublin and there is nothing I could complain about.

Chelsea
Bloomington
Indiana University- Bloomington

My Irish Summer

I studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland this past summer. My program was very well organized all the way through the application process, pre-depature information, housing assignments, class scheduling and all the numerous informational sessions and adjustment activities upon arrival. Being both my first time out of the country as well as my first time traveling alone, I was immediately welcomed in the airport after my long, anxiety-filled flight with a friendly hello and warm smiles, regardless of it being nearly 6 am in the morning. The staff was very friendly and eager to help us have the best abroad experience possible. They were always willing to offer advice whether it be which restaurant to have a delicious brunch or places to stay on weekend excursions. My housing accommodations were lovely, clean, and quite modern, placing me and my roommates right in the heart of the city. I will admit I was quite nervous about sharing an apartment with strangers while also being miles and miles away from home, but I could not have asked for a better outcome. Our personalities meshed so well immediately and I now have three amazing girls as well as many other peers on my program from around the US that I can genuinely call friends and basically family. We shared so much together and will always have shared memories from our time there. Classes were very interesting and helped immerse us by providing a background on the culture. Our professors were so kind and had a genuine interest in not only teaching us about their culture but also getting to know a lot about us students as well. My program also included optional field trips to beautiful places in the country for a very reasonable price which I would highly recommend. Overall, I wouldn't change a thing about my summer abroad with IES. All of this in addition to the gorgeous green setting of Ireland was a surreal experience. The memories, friendships, and experiences I gained will last a life time.

Jack
Oak Park, Illinois

Dublin Adventures

I was extremely nervous about studying abroad, since this was my first time out of the country. Many of my friends and family told me that adjusting to a different country may take weeks. Fortunately, that was not my case. When I arrived in Dublin, I was greeted by two IES Abroad staff at the airport. They were able to answer all of my questions and sorted me into my apartment with ease. I quickly bonded with my 4 other roommates in Dublin and with other students in the Irish Studies program and Acting program. The first couple of days in Dublin was a lot to take in. IES gave the students many informative presentations on Dublin and adjusting abroad, which were extremely helpful. IES also hosted a couple events at restaurants and pubs, which helped the students interact with each other. I took Irish History and Celtic Mythology, which were both interesting and fun classes. Both of my instructors were very informative and helpful throughout the program. Over the course of the summer I had the opportunity to travel around the majority of Ireland. One of those trips were provided through IES, which was the Northern Ireland trip. I was hesitant to go on this trip since it was optional and cost a little extra money, but I did not regret it as this trip was one of the highlights of my time abroad. If you're deciding on whether or not to go on the Northern Ireland trip, GO! You will not regret it. The staff at the center in Dublin were very easy to talk to and were able to help me out whenever it was needed.

Olivia
Durham
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

Studying Abroad in Dublin

I was the person going into college who said I would never study abroad. My junior year of college I decided I really wanted to travel and I decided the best outlet of doing so would be to study abroad. However, studying in Ireland with IES Abroad shattered all of my expectations. Studying abroad was no longer purely an outlet to travel, it was an experience all of its own. It included academic, social, and personal growth that I never could have achieved without studying abroad. I lived in Rathmines, Dublin and absolutely loved it. It was a close walk to the city center and it had the Irish charm I was looking for. The classes were amazing and I truly learned not only about Irish history, but also about Irish Culture as a whole. The professors were incredible and all had a genuine interest in their students and would go out of their way to help us with classes and acclimating to being abroad. The entire staff would make sure we were comfortable and safe. They also planned some incredible trips that help me see Ireland more and to get to know my classmates better as well. My classmates also became more of a family than just classmates. My classmates made my trip so amazing and helped make the transition easier. I was afraid that being so far away from friends and family would overwhelm me, but I honestly forgot that I was so far away because of all of the welcoming staff and people in the program. I am now a senior so before studying abroad I was getting very anxious about having to potentially move away in a year for a job. Studying abroad helped me realize that trying something new doesn't have to be a scary experience, and that there are amazing opportunities everywhere, you just have to be brave enough to go find them. I couldn't have asked for a better six weeks with IES, and if I could change anything about my experience it would be to have more time in Dublin!

Amanda
Lenoir, NC
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

Amazing Summer in Dublin

The summer of 2016 in Dublin was incredible. On this journey, I fell in love with Ireland in every possible way - its people, culture, food, and beautiful landscape. IES Abroad provided me with the opportunity to explore new places, as well as appreciate new cultures and ways of life. I would highly recommend studying abroad through IES Dublin. The staff is incredibly helpful, filled with kind and compassionate people. They were always offering to help – whether that be with academics or weekend travel plans. The classes kept me engaged and the professors were absolutely amazing.

I can honestly say that I have no regrets from this summer! I simply wish I had more time. There is so much to see, explore, and love. The people of Ireland are charming, caring, and diverse. The food is delicious and the views are so stunning that you will be left speechless! If you decide to study through IES in Dublin, it will be one of the best decisions of your life and you will gain so much from the experience. I can certainly say that is the case for me!

Ellen
Charlotte
University of Virginia

Summer in Dublin

My summer spent in Dublin was one of the best experiences of my life, thanks to IES. The classes that I took, History of Ireland and Celtic Mythology, were both excellent. While I was technically there to study, IES made sure that I had fun as well, providing several fun field trips to help us get to know our program peers and learn about the culture of Ireland. My personal favorite was the weekend field trip to Northern Ireland. My accommodations were also very nice and centrally located, and the staff on hand was super nice and very helpful with any problems I had. Dublin is an incredible city, and this program was a great way to experience it. I wish I could do it all over again!

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to