IES Abroad Dublin Summer – Irish Studies

If you're interested in learning about Ireland's political and social history, contemporary economic issues, and literary heritage, this is the summer program for you. On our Summer Irish Studies Program, you'll discover the rich heritage of Ireland, as well as its contemporary culture through its art, theater, and film both in and outside the classroom.

This program offers enrollment in IES Abroad-taught courses, housing in fully-equipped student apartments, and field trips. Your journey in Dublin will begin at our Center, near St. Stephen’s Green, where you'll gain a meaningful cultural experience and a deeper knowledge of what it means to be a citizen of the world.

IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Popular Programs

Intensive Acting

Over the course of the summer, you will come to know Dublin's winding streets and unique charm through a variety of culturally enriching opportunities. The program offers enrollment at the acclaimed National Theatre School of Ireland (Gaiety School of Acting), housing in fully-equipped student apartments, and field trips throughout Ireland.

Business, Entrepreneurship & Technology

There’s a reason why Dublin is now serving as the European headquarters for companies such as Google, Facebook, and Twitter. For the past decade, Ireland’s pro-business environment has been an incubator for start-ups, particularly in technology, and Dublin’s reputation as a principal technology hub of Europe is well-established.

Greg

Can I Go Again???

I studied abroad for a summer in Dublin with IES Abroad and couldn't have loved it any more than I did. I've wanted to do it all again since the second I got home. The IES staff, from the U.S. offices in Chicago to the Dublin site, was helpful from the second I was interested in the program. IES got me over to the Emerald Isle despite my fears and any other obstacles that came up and then made sure I had the time of my life. I learned so much in a short period of time through my classes(Irish Literature and History really enriched my experience), trips and events planned by IES (Gaelic Games, Northern Ireland weekend, and Irish music and dance nights), and exploring with the friends I made in my program. Dublin is a fantastic place to live and study and IES made sure we had all the support needed to accomplish everything we wanted to while abroad. I knew I could count on the staff while I was abroad and even to this day. I highly recommend exploring the wide variety of IES programs, specifically the Dublin programs. I can't wait to go back to Ireland and I hope to reconnect with some of the awesome IES staff members when I do!

Sammi Jo

Dublin Adventure

Never having been to Europe before, I was nervous about what I would encounter. I had no idea what to expect and worried about everything from the flight, the classes, the living situation, and even where I would buy my groceries. From the minute I stepped off the plane, the IES abroad staff made everything really easy. They toured us around the city and were always there to provide support and answer any of our questions. I took two classes while in Dublin. One was called Irish Communal Identity where we studied the history of Dublin through human interaction and relations with surrounding countries. My other class was Celtic Mythology where we learned the history of celtic legends and did in depth research about these stories. With regards to the living situation, I lived with four girls who I grew extremely close with. We were all from different schools and still keep in touch; one is even coming to my school to visit me in a few months. Spending six weeks in Ireland was truly an eye opening experience. It was easy to make friends and I found people who shared my same love for exploration and adventure. The memories and friendships I created in Dublin are ones that I will always cherish and never forget. I would tell future students to embrace every moment of being abroad. It went by so quickly and I would love to go back even to just hangout with those same people again. I feel a lot more confident after this experience. I talked to people of different culture and even made friends with some people who I found very different than myself.

At the end of the program we had a dinner for all of the students, but with so many different classes offered, this was the first time I had seen some students. To improve this program, I would do more events and dinners with everyone so we could meet and mingle with students in our program.
Cassidy

An Unforgettable Adventure

From getting lost on my first night in the city of Dublin to reluctantly packing my bags on my last night, studying abroad in Dublin was an unforgettable adventure. The field trips were amazing, as was exploring the city and surrounding areas. The city is quite walkable, and the public transit is pretty reliable for the places that are too far to walk to. Everything was wonderful, but the warmth and kindness of the staff and instructors and the quality of the learning and field trips really made studying with IES Abroad memorable. I cannot recommend this program enough!

Leana

My Dublin Experience

This program was filled with great staff and amazing programs. I had to arrive a day late and Jackie, the coordinator, was super understanding and helpful! She made sure I got to orientation on time and even had one of the teachers call me at the airport to make sure I was okay! This was the first year that they had the acting students and the general Irish studies students room together and it was a great choice! I made amazing friends from both programs and we still stay in contact to this day. The field trips to Northern Ireland and Causey Farm were great and worth the extra expense. Everything was beautiful and the local people really are some of the nicest I have ever met. Ireland is perfect if you want a city and country side experience. Dublin is not too overwhelming like New York or Chicago. It is the perfect blend of night life and tourist activities. Plus, IES will provide you with a bucket list of everything there is to do in the city. The country side; however, is even more amazing, filled with rolling green hills and centuries old landmarks. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Having SA's involved more in student living and maybe giving tours around the Dublin area.
MollyMaeve

Dublin the Fun in Ireland

I loved everything about my study abroad experience in Dublin. Having the opportunity to live, work, and experience life in the country my family comes from was truly an unparalleled experience for me. The classes I took through IES were interesting and culturally relevant allowing me to obtain a great understanding of the country I was living in as well as fostering a global mindset to learning. In addition to the coursework, I truly benefitted from being able to intern and experience the work culture of a foreign country first hand. The outside of the classroom trips and excursions that IES planned were really wonderful ways to experience different historical sites around Ireland without having to plan my own tours. The way IES schedules their classes I was able to travel throughout Europe on the weekends with ease. Through the IES Abroad Dublin program and specifically their Entrepreneurship and Technology track I was able to forge strong life-long friendships, learn more about Irish culture and experience it through my internship, and most importantly discover a new version of myself that is more confident and self-assured.

More information on the housing situation could be provided. The location and the overall apartment setup and floorplan should be made more readily available to students admitted to the program.
Perla

Amazing and Priceless Adventure

Studying abroad in Dublin was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I made so many good friends and I learned a lot about Ireland and the people. I learned to be more outgoing and I became more independent. Before going on this trip, I had never been on my own before. It was hard at first, but after a while there was a sense of freedom. I was no longer waiting for others to join me on my adventures, because I was okay just doing it on my own. I was not restricted to someone else's schedule and I did not have to compromise about the destination of my next adventure. I also did some traveling with the friends that i made, because sometimes it's just nice to share these moments with other people. Now that I'm home, I miss the people and I also miss Ireland. I cannot wait to go back and visit the lovely staff at the center.

I genuinely had an amazing time during my time in Dublin and there is nothing I could complain about.
Chelsea

My Irish Summer

I studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland this past summer. My program was very well organized all the way through the application process, pre-depature information, housing assignments, class scheduling and all the numerous informational sessions and adjustment activities upon arrival. Being both my first time out of the country as well as my first time traveling alone, I was immediately welcomed in the airport after my long, anxiety-filled flight with a friendly hello and warm smiles, regardless of it being nearly 6 am in the morning. The staff was very friendly and eager to help us have the best abroad experience possible. They were always willing to offer advice whether it be which restaurant to have a delicious brunch or places to stay on weekend excursions. My housing accommodations were lovely, clean, and quite modern, placing me and my roommates right in the heart of the city. I will admit I was quite nervous about sharing an apartment with strangers while also being miles and miles away from home, but I could not have asked for a better outcome. Our personalities meshed so well immediately and I now have three amazing girls as well as many other peers on my program from around the US that I can genuinely call friends and basically family. We shared so much together and will always have shared memories from our time there. Classes were very interesting and helped immerse us by providing a background on the culture. Our professors were so kind and had a genuine interest in not only teaching us about their culture but also getting to know a lot about us students as well. My program also included optional field trips to beautiful places in the country for a very reasonable price which I would highly recommend. Overall, I wouldn't change a thing about my summer abroad with IES. All of this in addition to the gorgeous green setting of Ireland was a surreal experience. The memories, friendships, and experiences I gained will last a life time.

Jack

Dublin Adventures

I was extremely nervous about studying abroad, since this was my first time out of the country. Many of my friends and family told me that adjusting to a different country may take weeks. Fortunately, that was not my case. When I arrived in Dublin, I was greeted by two IES Abroad staff at the airport. They were able to answer all of my questions and sorted me into my apartment with ease. I quickly bonded with my 4 other roommates in Dublin and with other students in the Irish Studies program and Acting program. The first couple of days in Dublin was a lot to take in. IES gave the students many informative presentations on Dublin and adjusting abroad, which were extremely helpful. IES also hosted a couple events at restaurants and pubs, which helped the students interact with each other. I took Irish History and Celtic Mythology, which were both interesting and fun classes. Both of my instructors were very informative and helpful throughout the program. Over the course of the summer I had the opportunity to travel around the majority of Ireland. One of those trips were provided through IES, which was the Northern Ireland trip. I was hesitant to go on this trip since it was optional and cost a little extra money, but I did not regret it as this trip was one of the highlights of my time abroad. If you're deciding on whether or not to go on the Northern Ireland trip, GO! You will not regret it. The staff at the center in Dublin were very easy to talk to and were able to help me out whenever it was needed.